Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 20th Dec 15, 7:44 PM
    • 1,708Posts
    • 3,017Thanks
    lisa110rry
    Replacing our 28 year old boiler help?
    • 20th Dec 15, 7:44 PM
    Replacing our 28 year old boiler help? 20th Dec 15 at 7:44 PM
    In March 1987, a local plumber, an excellent man, put the first ever gas combi-boiler in our home. In fact, not only was it the first gas boiler put into our home, it was also the first combi-boiler model for sale in the UK, a Vaillant. We run five large double radiators and four smaller double radiAtors from it. We do need an unusually warm home as my husband has congestive heart failure, we use 25,500 KwH of gas per year, double the national average.

Some years ago, a United Utilities Engineer visited our home to fix the boiler because the fault was caused by a burst main (tiny dirt getting into the hydraulic pipe system). He said 'don't replace this system until you have to and when you do this is what to replace it with', but that was some years ago.

What would you consider to be the best, longest lasting, boiler to replace it with, if I ever make the decision, and how much will it cost to purchase and install?

Many thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 12th Mar 17, 11:41 PM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    phil24_7
    Phil,
    You want a boiler that will go down as far as possible on the heating side, min probs for your folks, a 24kw will provide enough hot water for them,
    Given the above I'd go for either a Intergas 24/18 HRE Compact or a Baxi 24 Ecoblue + Combi, if you use a Intergas platinum installer it comes with a 7 yr warentee, the Baxi comes with 7 yrs whoever you get to fit it, They don't need all these wonderful outside sensors or hive/nest controllers but I would recommend a magnetic filter (magnaclean or similar)
    Originally posted by southcoastrgi
    Hi Southcoast

Sorry to drag this back up again but we are finally in a position to get a boiler installed at my parents house. I've been looking at the Baxi's and I can see little, if any difference between the EcoBlue+, EcoBlue Advanced, Duo-Tec and the Platinum. What are the differences and why do you recommend the EcoBlue+ over say, the Platinum?

Regards
    Phil
    Last edited by phil24_7; 14-03-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 13th Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    I'm smiling at the thought of Phil's parents being "an old couple" in their 60s and early 70s!

For purposes of completeness, we replaced our old Vaillant with a new Vaillant Ecotek in June with Hive to manage our heating. It's brilliant. Our energy supplier, So Energy, shows a bar chart of expected consumption month on month and I did a screen shot of it in November so I can calculate saving over estimated, which I have done this morning using my monthly readings. Between 13/11 and 13/12/2016 we used 30% less gas. Between 13/12/16 and 13/01/17 we used 54% less gas (but we were away over Christmas and New Year and used Hive to switch to frost protection) and between 13/01 and 13/02/2017 we used 18% less gas (it was cold at the beginning of the year!). Tomorrow I will receive my energy statement and can do the calculation or 13/02 to 13/03. I may be becoming a bit obsessive!

Edited to add: for the avoidance of doubt, the consumption I gave the supplier was what was actually used the previous year, less 10% as an assumption of the saving because of the new boiler being more efficient.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 15th Mar 17, 12:20 AM
    • 5,167 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    Hi Southcoast

Sorry to drag this back up again but we are finally in a position to get a boiler installed at my parents house. I've been looking at the Baxi's and I can see little, if any difference between the EcoBlue+, EcoBlue Advanced, Duo-Tec and the Platinum. What are the differences and why do you recommend the EcoBlue+ over say, the Platinum?

Regards
    Phil
    Originally posted by phil24_7
    Hi Phil, the duotec & platinum are well proven boilers & have been around for years & are both as bullet proof as it comes, very straight forward to use with easy controls on the front, the ecoblue's are a few years old & as such have a higher degree of modern controls & the front panel isn't as easy to understand as the duo or plat, however where they do score higher is their ability to go down to a lower heat output so if your folks system only required say 5 kw then they would match that whereas the duo & plat can't go down that far so would give more heat & use more gas than required at that time, if you were to ask my opinion your folks won't need all the bells & whistles so I'd go for either the duo or plat just depends if you want 7 or 10 yrs warentee
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 15th Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    spirit
    I'm smiling at the thought of Phil's parents being "an old couple" in their 60s and early 70s!

For purposes of completeness, we replaced our old Vaillant with a new Vaillant Ecotek in June with Hive to manage our heating. It's brilliant. Our energy supplier, So Energy, shows a bar chart of expected consumption month on month and I did a screen shot of it in November so I can calculate saving over estimated, which I have done this morning using my monthly readings. Between 13/11 and 13/12/2016 we used 30% less gas. Between 13/12/16 and 13/01/17 we used 54% less gas (but we were away over Christmas and New Year and used Hive to switch to frost protection) and between 13/01 and 13/02/2017 we used 18% less gas (it was cold at the beginning of the year!). Tomorrow I will receive my energy statement and can do the calculation or 13/02 to 13/03. I may be becoming a bit obsessive!

Edited to add: for the avoidance of doubt, the consumption I gave the supplier was what was actually used the previous year, less 10% as an assumption of the saving because of the new boiler being more efficient.
    Originally posted by lisa110rry

I bought that model 2 yrs ago too Lisa. Oddly enough, had to have the Vaillant service engineer out yesterday as I'd had an F32 fan fault on it. the installer wasn't available to come out, so Vaillant sent someone. What a nice guy he was, I phoned the helpline after to tell his manager that he was very helpful. I digress, seemingly the installer hadn't put guards on the wiring and a wire had come loose.

I'm about to exchange contracts here and move elsewhere and was worried that Vaillant were not reliable,but seemingly it was an install fault and not the boiler itself.

so i'll be replacing the one in the new house with a Vaillant too.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 15th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Alex1983
    I go vaillant every single day over a baxi. Try speaking to baxi technical help desk they are useless.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 15th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Alex1983
    The thing with picking your boiler manufacturer is everyone will give there own opinion and you will get people say pick this one or pick this one.

From experience of service and repairing boilers for 15 years plus I would say that vaillant haven't made many bad boilers over the years, I can only really think of the ecomax range from about 15 years ago that wasn't much good. There is more plastic in a new vaillant compared to years ago but this has not caused me any issues and I've seen no drop in realiablity.
    When I think back to baxi over the years there boiler ranges have been plagued with problems, 100he range, Barcelona's, Bahamas's, 105he's, combi instant, and genesis range are all very temperamental. When I put that with baxi techelp I would pick vaillant everyday.

The new baxi ranges may prove to be realiable and very good boilers but only time will tell and I personally wouldn't take that chance in my own house.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 15th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 4,622 Thanks
    thescouselander
    Had a new baxi in an old rental place. The landlord must have spent thousands on repairs as it went wrong continuously. That put me off for good.

We've got a WB now. Guaranteed for 10 years and if it does go wrong the bloke who installed it lives a few doors down from me. For me I don't like to gamble on whether something will go wrong - supportability and being able to correct issues quickly and cheaply is the most important thing.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 15th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    phil24_7
    Hi Phil, the duotec & platinum are well proven boilers & have been around for years & are both as bullet proof as it comes, very straight forward to use with easy controls on the front, the ecoblue's are a few years old & as such have a higher degree of modern controls & the front panel isn't as easy to understand as the duo or plat, however where they do score higher is their ability to go down to a lower heat output so if your folks system only required say 5 kw then they would match that whereas the duo & plat can't go down that far so would give more heat & use more gas than required at that time, if you were to ask my opinion your folks won't need all the bells & whistles so I'd go for either the duo or plat just depends if you want 7 or 10 yrs warentee
    Thank you kindly South Coast.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 15th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    spirit
    The thing with picking your boiler manufacturer is everyone will give there own opinion and you will get people say pick this one or pick this one.

From experience of service and repairing boilers for 15 years plus I would say that vaillant haven't made many bad boilers over the years, I can only really think of the ecomax range from about 15 years ago that wasn't much good. There is more plastic in a new vaillant compared to years ago but this has not caused me any issues and I've seen no drop in realiablity.
    When I think back to baxi over the years there boiler ranges have been plagued with problems, 100he range, Barcelona's, Bahamas's, 105he's, combi instant, and genesis range are all very temperamental. When I put that with baxi techelp I would pick vaillant everyday.

The new baxi ranges may prove to be realiable and very good boilers but only time will tell and I personally wouldn't take that chance in my own house.
    Originally posted by Alex1983
    Had a Baxi in my last house - never again.

some people rate the Worcester Bosch, but then some say that parts aren't as readily available. they do have a 10 yr warranty now so I guess that must mean the manufacturers have confidence in it. Plus it's a good name, but.

I'm sticking to what I know.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 16th Mar 17, 12:16 AM
    • 5,167 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    Vailliant rubber hoses that block up & now mostly plastic
    WB nightmare to work on, service or repair, mostly plastic, treat installers as idiots

• southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 16th Mar 17, 12:19 AM
    • 5,167 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    Had a new baxi in an old rental place. The landlord must have spent thousands on repairs as it went wrong continuously. That put me off for good.

We've got a WB now. Guaranteed for 10 years and if it does go wrong the bloke who installed it lives a few doors down from me. For me I don't like to gamble on whether something will go wrong - supportability and being able to correct issues quickly and cheaply is the most important thing.
    Originally posted by thescouselander
    I'm confused you had a new Baxi that would be under warentee yet the LL spent thousands in repairs

Your plastic boiler is guaranteed for 10 yrs but the most important thing is being able to correct issues cheaply ?

• Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 16th Mar 17, 6:42 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Alex1983
    The vaillant rubber hose that block were identified as an issue very quickly and a modification kit was issued to make them copper and all new ones from probably 07/08 were supply with the updated pipework.
    Wb are ok and probably the most common boiler I come across but is pretty much completely plastic and can be a bit prone to pin hole leaks to the plastic manifolds.
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 16th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    sultanabran
    When I moved into my existing house in 2005, it had a WB combi boiler which at that point was about 13 years old.

11 years since I moved in and I still have the same boiler. In that time, I've had to have the diverter valve replaced twice, and that's been it.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 16th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 4,622 Thanks
    thescouselander
    I'm confused you had a new Baxi that would be under warentee yet the LL spent thousands in repairs

Your plastic boiler is guaranteed for 10 yrs but the most important thing is being able to correct issues cheaply ?

Yeah, i was in the house for 5 years and the Baxi started going wrong from new. I believe the warranty was only 2 years and on one occasion of took over 3 weeks to get the thing fixed. Appalling.

The WB has been great though and clearly the warranty makes it cheap to fix if it does go wrong since I shouldn't have to pay anything.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 16th Mar 17, 11:51 PM
    • 5,167 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    The models that Phil asked about have 7 & 10 year warentee & have been around for years with a very good track record & my customers get the same day or next day service from Baxi, I agree 3 weeks isn't acceptable but I doubt that was under warentee & most likely an independent engineer

• southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 16th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    • 5,167 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    When I moved into my existing house in 2005, it had a WB combi boiler which at that point was about 13 years old.

11 years since I moved in and I still have the same boiler. In that time, I've had to have the diverter valve replaced twice, and that's been it.
    Originally posted by sultanabran
    Back in the day when WB made decent boilers I bet it's a 28 CDI RSF ?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,428Posts Today

9,512Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin