Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cranston Snord
    • By Cranston Snord 9th Dec 15, 12:20 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cranston Snord
    Barclays Have Automatically Upgraded Me To A Premier Account
    • 9th Dec 15, 12:20 PM
    Barclays Have Automatically Upgraded Me To A Premier Account 9th Dec 15 at 12:20 PM
    I have received a letter from Barclays this morning (it is authentic - correct address and account numbers) telling me that my account has been automatically 'upgraded' to a 'Premier' account.

I also have a beautiful glossy brochure welcoming me as a Premier Customer ! Yet
    I have only £2,000 of savings with them and earn around £16,000 per year.

Everything I read on the web suggests that Barclays recently closed 250,000 premier accounts after stating that their customers were not earning £75,000 per year and were therefore not entitled to them.

Has anyone else been offered the dubious privilege of an automatic upgrade to a 'Premier' account ?

(I've been told that I will be getting a special 'black' visa debit card - I can hardly wait !!!)
Page 2
    • planteria
    • By planteria 13th Dec 15, 5:53 PM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    planteria
    i have a Barclays Premier account, and find the service to be very good, along with similar from HSBC
    the key i would be establishing is whether they are expecting you to pay for the 'upgrade'
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 13th Dec 15, 6:24 PM
    • 1,689 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    criteria appears to be
    annual income paid into the a/c £75,000
    or £100,000 in barclays investment products
    Originally posted by CLAPTON
    These figures were confirmed when I recently telephoned them.

I understood Barclays checked each account (with computers) to prevent cycling cash through and being marked as suitable.

ie, if you cycle through from the Barclays account to another, say £10k a month, the system will know!

Your salary must be paid in and stay in for a set time, I believe, someone will tell me if I'm wrong.
    Originally posted by Paul_1977
    I received my invitation to the premier banking. I decided to telephone them as I do not meet either of the requirements. They then quoted a high figure of the total that had passed through the current account in the last 12 months.
    This figure can only be as a result of money being recirculated between other banks and building societies current and savings accounts.

I accepted their offer and have made use of the free English Heritage pass.
    I had to laugh though as when they upgraded me they said they would send me a new black debit card. When I had not received it after 2 weeks I phoned and was put through to my" personal account manager" I said that I did not think much of their premier banking service in their failure to send a new card.

After apologising he offered me £50 by way of a goodwill gesture.

Also the main branch in our area has a dedicated counter for premier account holders which saves standing in a long queue.

So if you are offered an upgrade take it you have nothing to loose. The worst that can happen is when(if) they relegate you to the second division.
    Last edited by FOREVER21; 13-12-2015 at 6:38 PM.
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 11th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    For those of you with a Premier account, can you clarify if you need to register separately for the Gourment Society Card ? I have downloaded the Premier Rewards app and successfully registered but I am unsure if I just use the app or need the Gourmet Society card to get the discounts (plenty of 50% off at some local restaurants) .
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 12th Jun 17, 9:58 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    For those of you with a Premier account, can you clarify if you need to register separately for the Gourment Society Card ? I have downloaded the Premier Rewards app and successfully registered but I am unsure if I just use the app or need the Gourmet Society card to get the discounts (plenty of 50% off at some local restaurants) .
    Originally posted by Marchitiello
    No, once activated your smartphone functions as an e-card. Just make sure you call the restaurant in advance and mention you have Gourmet Society membership, and be ready to show them your app, which will confirm your membership number and expiry date.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 12th Jun 17, 10:55 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    No, once activated your smartphone functions as an e-card. Just make sure you call the restaurant in advance and mention you have Gourmet Society membership, and be ready to show them your app, which will confirm your membership number and expiry date.
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    Thanks, I just realised that I need to activate the GC membership within the APP so that the one year free membership can start.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,790Posts Today

7,548Users online

Martin's Twitter