Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 6th Dec 15, 12:18 PM
    • 818Posts
    • 4,049Thanks
    Florence J
    Flo's Debt Free Diary
    • 6th Dec 15, 12:18 PM
    Flo's Debt Free Diary 6th Dec 15 at 12:18 PM
    Hi there,
    After reading through many of the debt free diaries, I feel brave enough to start my own.
    In many ways 2015 has been one of the best years of my life. I finally fulfilled my dream of getting a full time Ďadult jobí (not that Iím implying some jobs are more worthy than others) which meant for pretty much the first time in three years I have been able to pay rent and bills without borrowing the money off my boyfriend, or living off him. My previous jobs were wonderful, I worked for great people and enjoyed the work, I had three jobs, working for my friends animation company part time, working part time in an independent arts Centre, and volunteering for essential admin experience in an art gallery. I loved all the jobs, but despite working 6 days a week, I was making negative income, and that was before I bought anything non-essential (such as clothes, which is almost an addiction for me). I have five credit cards, which I foolishly gained the majority of in 2014, when I was working less and needed money. Did I spend the money on anything useful, like paying bills or food shopping? No, I went out all the time, I bought clothes, I bought magazine subscriptions, I got takeaways, I bought gifts for my friends, even though they knew the money was coming from dodgy credit cards and usually tried to stop me. I thought Iíd be ok, I had no thoughts about what this would do to me financially or to my credit rating. I was an idiot.
    I also used to smoke, but have finally kicked that habit 13 weeks ago today. I was smoking so much, ruining my health and straining my relationship with my boyfriend who detests smoking. Hiding the smoking habit from him made me feel like the worst person in the world, I am not a dishonest person by nature, but I was addicted to smoking and to shopping. I donít want to make it seem like Iím making excuses for myself, but I didnít learn much financial guidance from my family. My mother was an alcoholic and used the money from her job to buy booze at an increasingly alarming rate, my family was not well off to begin with, and the strain of this caused my father to lose his business and go bankrupt. We were on benefits for many years, my grandparents bought us food out of their savings and pension. I used to spend my pocket money as soon as I got it because otherwise my mum would steal it to buy alcohol. As a result I never learnt to save.
    I donít want to seem like I had a terrible life, I consider my life blessed in many ways. I have a great relationship with both parents, though they are no longer together, which is fine. Ultimately I knew I was loved by both, and to hate my mum for being an alcoholic would be wrong as alcoholism is a disease. I canít hate her for that.
    Due to these traumatic events and others, I suffer from depression and until this year the last few years have been very bad mental health wise. I have suffered from depression and panic attacks and am on a large dosage of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics, which actually seem to be working as I feel so happy with my life, except when I think about my debts.
    I have finally paid off a debt I owe to my brother of 540, but I owe my sister a much smaller debt and my boyfriend a far, far larger debt. This is in addition to my credit card and overdraft debt of 5150 which the payments for I am just about meeting. Each month I have been paying the minimum and interest each month, and each month I then spend the minimum again. This cannot happen any longer.
    So 2016 will be the year I get serious about paying off my debts, and I have to live with a realistic budget and accept I cannot live the way I have been. It will be hard, but Iím 26 and I need to think about the future. I want to marry my boyfriend, I want a pet, I want a house, I want to continue my studies with an MA and another degree, If it wasnít for my bad job decisions and even worse spending habits I would have been able to do a couple of these things.
    The root of my money problem stems from going abroad to do an internship through a company when I left University. I borrowed the money of my brother, originally 1700 which I thought I could easily pay back. The company was fraudulent however, and I left with nothing except a debt to my brother, a debt on my credit card and all my saving gone. Due to the dodgy company status, after I consulted a lawyer, it would cost me over 3grand to take them to court, with no guarantee of winning due to a technical loop hole the company could go through, which is less than what I am owed. I had never used a credit card before that trip, I have had to leave it and try to put it out of my mind, the anger I feel drives me insane and I have to put it out of my mind in order to not make my mental health worse.
    So this is the time to put my finances in order. After reading the other debt free diaries, I know that this will be the way to chronicle my journey and get support, which will be great. Itís nice to know I am not alone and that there are others like me. I look forward to sharing with you.
Page 19
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 25th Sep 16, 8:26 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    Hi Everybody,

The good news is my contract has been extended for another week, so that is more money coming in. Every little helps. Just need to do a financial forecast to make sure I have enough money for everything.

Wombled a great deal of stuff at the Freshers fair (I am working at a University) so am pleased with that.

Am hoping I won't have to buy any food tomorrow as we only have 11p left of the food budget. I have admittedly been 'creative' this month with the budget (using coupons and re-classifying some food expenses into different categories) so I know I am only deceiving myself when I say we have 11p left when really it is more like -£20. But I am happy with the deception.

I do generally think I am doing much better with the food budgets since joining the grocery threads and recommend them to everyone.

The living room is all decorated. We have the walls painted and the new curtains are up. It looks lovely. Such a difference a new touch up of paint makes.

Got some writing that needs doing, and I need to get back on my 10k training. That's right, I am going to do another, maybe even another 2!

Have ordered my food shopping for the next month. A MrT and a MrM shop. Will both arrive Tuesday at different times.

OH is doing a half marathon a week today. I hope he does well.

I did my self employed taxes yesterday. £25 needed to be paid in taxes and my National Insurance will likely be about £145 but I have prepared for this. I hate people who don't pay the taxes they should legally pay. There have been points in my life when I or someone I know have needed the welfare/benefit system and if I earn say £500 in self employed earnings and my taxes are about half of that I would pay every pence not because I am a saint or because I have a lot of money to spare (neither are true) but because I will pay to help those in need, whether it is myself, someone I know or a stranger. I will pay for schools and hospitals because I believe these things should be free, and it is an honour to be a British citizen (most of the time) and if I work and live in Britain then I will pay British taxes.

Rant over. Sorry guys.

I am preparing for winter in my own way. I am stocking up on tins, as many as my budget will allow, thinking of wintry meals, getting root vegetables in. I still need to clean the winter duvet and I may take my winter coats to be fixed and dry cleaned but none of these things are essential, so I may have to see what my budget can afford.

Hope you are all well guys.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 9 #553 = £156.88
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553
    2016: Sell £1000 #51 (£340.03/£1000)
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 = £263.45/£310
    Wombling free 2016 = £449.19
    • evkizzy
    • By evkizzy 30th Sep 16, 12:40 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    evkizzy
    Hi Flo. I've fallen off the grid this month. Just catching up.
    Congrats on the smoke-free-versary, the crazy amount of running and the temp job. Glad life has stopped being a meany to you. Don't let the paranoia get in the way of a good thing. You got this!
    Stocking up on tins is a good plan. Even when you have nothing you need a little fun (just be creative with spending as little as possible). We were invited to the pub tomorrow but have brought the pub to us by having friends over: byob style. Glad to hear you're doing better.
    Ev Kizzy Make £10 A Day August Challenge: £364.54/£310
    Loan: remaining balance £771/ £3,500 CCs: paid £194.76/£4436.75
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 3rd Oct 16, 9:21 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    Thanks Evkizzy,

I realised that my post about taxes may have been a bit upsetting to some people as what I see on here a lot is a lot of people have been harshly hit by HMRC. It's not perfect, they do sometimes greatly mess things up for people, what I was commenting on was me paying my rightful taxes based on the money I have earned. I hope I didn't upset anyone.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 3rd Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    So guys I have been away due to busy, busy work, writing deadlines, computer updates and then computer failures due to the updates so I have some news.

I have a full time job.

Since last Tuesday I have been bombarded with job offers. My old job offered me a full time contract till next April, an Agency I had signed up to contacted me about a temporary job offer in south wales, the place I was currently working at wanted to keep me on longer, and today my friend contacted me about freelance work.

I took the job at my old job. The one till April. I had to slightly mess around the temp agency i'm with as I should have given a weeks notice which I feel bad about but I knew this job would go if I didn't take it (I start tomorrow)

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it is far from the best job. It is in Bristol. I live in Cardiff. that means a 280 odd train fare each month, it will involve weekend, bank holiday and evening work. also the severn tunnel is closed so i am living with my in laws during the week otherwise i would have a 4 hour plus commute. also after all my bills i will have 90 quid disposable income each month which is a little low. but after three months of unemployment i couldnt turn down a job. i have actually been almost crying with anxiety over it. i hope it will be ok. i just feel like ill be putting my life on hold until it ends.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 3rd Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 7,947 Posts
    • 51,069 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Flo - blimey you have had it all going on. How did you decide between all the offers?
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £0.11 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,217 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1890.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 4th Oct 16, 9:53 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    Hi Bob, there were a number of factors involved. I decided to go for the job I chose as I could pay into a pension plan, it was a guaranteed long term contract, and it would give me the most valuable skills if applying elsewhere.

I would also like to announce that today was my first day and the job looks wonderful. The team seem so kind, caring, friendly and hardworking and all my fears have been unfounded. I was worried about weekend, bank holiday and evening work-thinking I would have to give up football, work all the time and have no fun. It turns out that yes there will be evening and weekend work, but it is on a rota basis and will be occasional rather than all the time. And Bank Holidays equal double pay so now I am regretting the fact my contract ends before the easter and may ones.

So i am very sorry for being maudlin and ungrateful. all is good.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 4th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    As long time readers of this diary will know in April 2015 I decided to keep a track of every purchase I made.

As long time readers will know I love Spreadsheets.

At the end of September 2015 I decided I would do a 6 month data spreadsheet (April-September) and then compare it to the next six months (October-March).

The reason I do April-March is because of it being a tax year (and also I thought of doing this in March 2015 and therefore had kept no record of the previous spending )

I can confirm that between April-September 2016 I spent on average 30 quid less each month than I did in April - September 2015.

So now the obvious challenge is between October-March I want to spend 40 quid less a month than I did in the same time period last year.

This is very encouraging. I have the evidence to know that I have improved.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 6th Oct 16, 10:15 PM
    • 7,947 Posts
    • 51,069 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Phew glad all is well on the job front after all. And well done on your challenge results.
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
    • evkizzy
    • By evkizzy 7th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    evkizzy
    I wish I didn't hate spreadsheets. It's amazing that you've managed to keep track of it all. Must feel incredible knowing that your good habits are paying off.
    Congrats on the job. I'm searching for one myself.
    Ev Kizzy Make £10 A Day August Challenge: £364.54/£310
    Loan: remaining balance £771/ £3,500 CCs: paid £194.76/£4436.75
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 10th Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    Hi Everybody,

Not much to report. I am now eagerly awaiting payday, just like I used to. I'm not sure how much I'll get paid on payday as I started a few days into the month. I think I may have to use the dreaded CC this/next month and then I'll be back to living on 'real' money rather than debt money.

I am in a bit of a tizz, as I may be working Christmas Eve after previously thinking I didn't have to and this would be very, very bad as I have already bought the train tickets. Nothing is confirmed either way now, so I will be in a mild state of panic until I know which is certain.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 12th Oct 16, 10:54 PM
    • 7,947 Posts
    • 51,069 Thanks
    Bobarella
    When will you know for sure either way Florence?
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 13th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    All is Fine!!!!!!

Just miscommunication, I finish at 12pm on the 23rd, my xmas eve train tickets are fine
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 13th Oct 16, 10:23 PM
    • 7,947 Posts
    • 51,069 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Phew! That's good then.
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 16th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    Hi everybody.

Just had a lovely catch up on here.

I have returned from a short break to Newport Pagnell to visit a friend who moved there. It was essentially a lad's holiday-my OH, two of his best friends (who are brothers) and the friend who had moved there. I am an honorary lad.

Had some surprise wages come through from the last temping job I did before my new job, not sure how I didn't know that was coming, but that certainly made me happy and saw me through the holiday and will look after me next month.

Not sure if I mentioned this but in my mind the train tickets i bought for Christmas should be £4.25 each, as we used £57.50 in vouchers on them. But my OH has kindly said he will pay me the full £33 his ticket cost, because the vouchers came from a horrendous journey that I alone suffered. I was all set to share my good fortune, but won't turn down an extra £28.75 either.

I think, and it is early days still, but i think this will be my first Credit card free Christmas since 2010. But will only demand a celebratory dancing llama on December 26th once I know for certain.

Had insomnia last night, maybe as a result of drinking more than usual, sleeping on a small sofa bed and sharing sleeping quarters with two flatulent brothers!!!! As a result I am very very tired and feel rotten, though a coolish shower did revive me a little.

This is my last working week staying with my in laws as long as the works on the severn line go to plan. I am having to travel part of the way to wales tomorrow to meet my OH to collect my prescription as originally i wasn't going to go on holiday with my OH, so i was going to collect it at the weekend.

I take two medications for my mental health, and luckily I have enough of the main one, but I have run out of the secondary one, and I have noticed bad thoughts creeping in. If i forget to take the main one I become depressed or sad very quickly, if I can't take the secondary one then I am more prone to anger and a little slide show of 'bad moments in Flo's life' plays in my head. Knowing it is because I am temporarily without my needed medications has meant I have become aware that they aren't real thoughts-they are just a chemical imbalance or something like that. I don't appreciate having them but I will be with my prescription tomorrow.

I am going to have a very small disposable income come payday till next payday, I'll have to manage somehow. I'll use my creativity.

I just need money to pay my National Insurance bill from my self employed earnings last tax year. I won't know for certain how much it is till they send me the bill but i know it will be close to £150.

Does anyone know if I have to declare my earnings from things like Pinecone and also when I get amazon vouchers for things like shop and scan, shopprize etc? I won't have to worry about it till I do my taxes next year but would like to know how detailed an account I'd have to keep.

I plan on having an early night tonight. I have a busy day tomorrow.

xx
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 22nd Oct 16, 10:58 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    Hi everybody!

I am back home, back in the arms of my coughing but cuddly OH.

I travelled back to South Wales yesterday, and I won't be staying with my in laws anymore as the Severn Tunnel has reopened. Phew!

It has been lovely being cared for, and not having to do any chores, but actually I get incredibly anxious about being fussed over and prefer to be left to get on with things myself. And I haven't been sleeping well because, I'm not sure if this will make much sense, but in the bedroom at my in laws I don't know which side of the bed is mine. By which I mean in my bedroom here I know which side of the bed is mine and what position I need to be in to fall asleep with no trouble.

In an unfamiliar bed I am left to guess how I need to be to fall asleep.

I went shopping today, just bits and pieces for the home-medication and a small amount of groceries. Am over the food budget for this month by £6.31 but it resets on the 27th, so not long to go, and also whatever I over spend by I will take off next months budget. Which should be easy as our cupboards and freezer are chock a block with food.

Also bought some Christmas and Halloween stickers, and lots of things for my desk at work-hand sanitizer, hand cream, a pen pot. Posted some halloween treats to Nephew and Niece set 1 and Nephew and Niece set 2. Also took my leather jacket to be fixed as there is a rip in the sleeve.

My OH and I put the winter duvet on the bed. I tidied up the kitchen, my OH treated me to a takeaway and I technically did a cycle on the exercise bike but as it was only 20 minutes I am going to discount it.

My OH is ill, poor guy. I am being mindful not to catch anything as I have my responsibilities increased at work next week and we are short staffed so I don't want to let anyone down.

Work is going really well, unfortunately I am doing more customer service stuff next week, and as you may have picked up from my diary I am a little anxious about talking to people. Ok make that terrified.

I wish I could work in a back room somewhere and just do admin tasks but I have to go to the people that offer me work.

I'm sure I'll get used to it. The sad thing is all I want to do is help people, but I'm terrified of talking to them! It is something I will have to get over if I want to do well at my new job.

My problem is I am terrified of conflict. I will do anything to avoid someone who is even a tiny bit 'conflicty' I have made my OH promise never to shout at me as raised voices scare me, and to his credit he never has, but I think this is his general character rather than something he has actively done for me.

I know if someone is being a d*** to me it says more about them then it does about me, but I just remember that terrible phone call I had in my last job and how I cried at work....(shivers)

But I am now a librarian, and it is lovely to work in a library. I love books. I am very happy. I keep expecting there to be a catch....but there isn't. It really is that lovely.

I get paid on the 27th. Huzzah. First big paycheck for many a month. I am looking forward to having money coming in.

TT Broadband want to increase the cost of my bill even though I am not at the end of my 12 month contract so will have to investigate that and sort it out. I don't take price increases lightly anymore!!!!!

Well that is all I have to report. I am quite excited about Christmas because I have a plan, budget spreadsheets and some savings (as well as an ever increasingly heavy sealed pot) which means I am not fearing Christmas the way I have every other year since leaving University. And I am sure I won't put any of it on a Credit Card this year.

As you all know I love Spreadsheets and today's highlight has been learning how to do Pie charts on excel and I now have a plan of doing a pie chart showing the percentage of all the categories of my disposable income spending since I started keeping a spending diary. I am just a very sad and boring person and I like analysing data.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 23rd Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    TO DO LIST

Sunday

30-45 Minute Cycle on exercise bike
    3k Jog
    Hoover
    Iron clothes
    Complete Shop and Scan tasks
    Do cupboard and freezer inventory
    Buy Bread
    Do wash loads
    Put away clean clothes
    Put out washed clothes
    Put unwanted foods onto the Olio app
    Do pie charts of my spending data
    Do some reading-books and MSE threads
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 23rd Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    TO DO LIST

Sunday

30-45 Minute Cycle on exercise bike
    3k Jog
    Hoover - OH is watching American Football so may have to wait
    Iron clothes
    Complete Shop and Scan tasks
    Do cupboard and freezer inventory
    Buy Bread
    Do wash loads
    Put away clean clothes
    Put out washed clothes
    Put unwanted foods onto the Olio app
    Do pie charts of my spending data
    Do some reading-books and MSE threads
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 30th Oct 16, 6:03 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Florence J
    Hi Everybody!

Just a quick post. I have finally caught up with all that is going on on MSE, some great work guys.

This was my first week commuting to work from my own home, not my inlaws. Wasn't late once which impressed me, and the most of the time I got the early train so was super on time for work.

I celebrate my 1 month anniversary at the new job soon. woooo!

Payday was on thursday, so paid nice chunks on my cards, let's get this debt smashed!

The house is all tidy and cosy, we have a MrT delivery coming tomorrow, my OH and I went to a halloween party yesterday (he went as the very scary Donald Trump-except he was wearing a pumpkin on his head carved in the shape of Donald Trumps ugly mug)

We put the spare pumpkin (incase OH made a mistake when making his first pumpkin) on OLIO and have a collector for it tomorrow.

We will go to our friends house on Tuesday to watch the latest WWE Pay Per View because we are those sad people who like professional wrestling.

About to go out for a meal with OH and his sister, got a £5 off £25 spend so would be rude not to go out.

May see Doctor Strange this Friday, at our cheap £4 a ticket cinema.

I have never felt so content. I am very, very happy. I realise a lot of my self worth comes from working (though no one exactly likes being unemployed so it is to be expected that i would feel happy working)

I am looking forward to Christmas and I have thursday off work to cash in my sealed pot. I am hoping for £100 minimum in the tin. Ideally lots lots more.

Well OH's sis will be here soon so must dash. Nice to see how well everyone is doing. Take care all.
    xxxx
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 30th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    Smolly
    Just popping in Florence to say I've subscribed. Lovely positive post - thank you for sharing. Has really cheered me up.

Take care x
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 30th Oct 16, 10:27 PM
    • 7,947 Posts
    • 51,069 Thanks
    Bobarella
    So good to hear you so cheery Florence. Life is good!
    £800 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin