IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Banoffee Pie
Views: 3,196
# 1
Becles
Old 27-08-2007, 9:53 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Banoffee Pie

Hubby has been going on for ages about banoffee pie, so I thought I'd make him one.

Has anyone got a really nice recipe that they would like to share?
Here I go again on my own....
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
squeaky
Old 27-08-2007, 9:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

There's one here that is recommended:-

http://www.nestle.co.uk/OurBrands/Re...anoffeePie.htm

I'm sure that others will be along shortly
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following User Says Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
WeirdoMagnet
Old 27-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I do one a bit like the nestle one, with the same (cheesecake style) base - (you could use chocolate digestives if you want it extra yummy), but with a complete disregard for H&S and boil the tin of condensed milk (for about 1.5-2hrs). Apparently the tin can explode, but I must've got the idea from somewhere, and I've never had a problem.

On top of the whipped cream I grate dark chocolate.

Yummy!
The Following User Says Thank You to WeirdoMagnet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
teacup
Old 28-08-2007, 6:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default banofee pie

Hi I went to see phill vickery ( ferns hubby from daytime show This morning!) Free tickets from this website !!!!, and in our goody bag we got wait for it ...........................a tin of nestle carnation caramel

On the back of the tin is the recipe , and this caramel is all ready and you just splodge it in and top with your , cream and bananas, no more stirring condensed milk!!!. It comes in a 397gram tin , I know he said it is a brand new product from nestle, we all got to try his puds, I fell in love with him !!! that night , I was moaning with delight !!. I know fern has been eating wisely and lost weight , but how tough when married to a man that cooks angels food. He was very lovely and a real natura too. May be worth checking the supermarket shelf out, it suits me this caramel as it is foolproof and I have always made that bit too thick normally!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teacup For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Garetha
Old 28-08-2007, 6:48 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgina View Post
... with a complete disregard for H&S and boil the tin of condensed milk (for about 1.5-2hrs). Apparently the tin can explode, but I must've got the idea from somewhere, and I've never had a problem. ...
... as long as you keep the sealed tin in water it won't explode - but let it dry out for a few moments and .... BANG!
We used to do several tins at a time - and then store them ready. But the idea of being able to buy it ready appeals.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garetha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
knithappens
Old 28-08-2007, 7:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i have a recipe off the back of a carnation can, i will PM you as i dont know if I am allowed to post the recipe. It has the digestive base, but i suppose you could just change that for a pastry base ( i personally love the pastry base , and i side note don't get the tesco banoffe pie it is fowl, never again)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knithappens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
p-pincher
Old 28-08-2007, 10:15 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You can cheat and not make the caramel at all, I buy a jar from tesco made by Merchant Goumet, i think its called dulce de leche and it a georgous thick caramel sauce perfect for bannoffee pies, its about 2-3 pound so not very moneysaving but it takes the hassle out of having to make caramel. I even heard Jamie Oliver recommending it a few years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to p-pincher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Sharra
Old 28-08-2007, 10:18 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I always open pierce the lid of my condensed milk before I boil it, then it def won't explode.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharra For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
MRSMCAWBER
Old 28-08-2007, 2:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi there

banoffi pie serves 6-8

crumb case
125g/4oz butter
250g/8oz digestives - crushed
melt butter and stir in crumbs...press mixture over the base and sides of an 8" tin and chill until firm

filling
put:-
175g/6oz butter
175g/6oz caster sugar- in a pan over a low heat until butter is melted

stir in :-
425g/14oz can of condensed milk and bring to the boil,
lower the heat and simmer for 5 mins, stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes a caramel colour
pour into case, leave to cool and then chill until set

slice 2 bananas and toss them in 1tbs lemon juice
-reserve 1/4 bananas for decoration and spread the rest over the filling
Whip 150ml/1/4pt whipping cream and spread over top
decorate with the reserved bananas and 25g/1oz grated chocolate
-6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
The Following User Says Thank You to MRSMCAWBER For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
madfrenchgirl
Old 28-08-2007, 4:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just make a shortcrust pastry base, boil 2 carnation cans of condensed sweetened milk for 5 hours, let them cool down, open them spoon it out, put it onyour base, put bananas sliced lengthways on top of the caramel, whip a pot of double cream with one tbsp of sugar and spread on top. Voila!
"Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
It's only teenage wasteland"
The Who - Baba O'Riley
Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
RIP John Entwistle
The Following User Says Thank You to madfrenchgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
VickyM
Old 28-08-2007, 4:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

this is AMAZING and has fab pictures too..

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Pr..._Banoffee_Pie/
The Following User Says Thank You to VickyM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Justamum
Old 28-08-2007, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup View Post
I know he said it is a brand new product from nestle,
I wonder why it's taken so long? It's been available for years in South Africa. So have 8 fingered KitKats!
"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I don't use Twitter myself. I simply walk around with a mega-phone announcing at random intervals what I am doing.. I have three followers already. Though I suspect two of them may be policemen..
The Following User Says Thank You to Justamum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
carmenrose
Old 28-08-2007, 7:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Saw the tins of Carnation Caramel in Tesco's today at 1.69 a tin. On the shelf next to it was a chocolate version aswell also 1.69.
The Following User Says Thank You to carmenrose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
nikflo
Old 28-08-2007, 7:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thank for suggesting this i made a boniffee pie this afternoon, found the carmel ready made stuff very good. its in the fridge and dh can't wait to try it.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikflo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
sillyvixen
Old 29-08-2007, 9:24 AM

Angry

ready made caramel is the bestest invention ever. i have made bannoffi pie from scratch before but i find making caramel can be a bit hit and miss, i often go through 3 tins of condensed milk before i get it right and often ruin a pan in the process :confused::confused: so the genious invevention of tins of ready made caramel are actually money saving thats my excuse anyway

who put unhappy face here it wasn't me!!!! shop bought caramel is cool

Last edited by sillyvixen; 03-09-2007 at 11:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sillyvixen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Becles
Old 29-08-2007, 9:30 AM

I tried the Nestle recipe but it went wrong. The caramel is still runny even though it's been in the fridge overnight.

I didn't have any Carnation, so I used a tin of Sainsburys evaported milk, as I though it was the same stuff. Is this what went wrong?
Here I go again on my own....
# 17
madfrenchgirl
Old 29-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Becles, you have to use condensed milk, not evaporated. Even though it is cheaper, evaporated milk is too liquid to make gooey enough caramel.
"Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
It's only teenage wasteland"
The Who - Baba O'Riley
Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
RIP John Entwistle
The Following User Says Thank You to madfrenchgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
grimelda
Old 29-08-2007, 12:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via Yahoo to grimelda

Yes, evaporated milk has nowhere near the amount of sugar that condensed has and hence it won't turn into caramel. I actually have to opposite problem. In Sweden you can find condensed (or kondenserad) milk all over the place but never evaporated.

But now I am really hungry for banoffee pie.
'Everyone loves to read but it can be a real nuisance when you lose your place. Here's a solution. When you finish reading a page, just tear it out. You'll save money on bookmarks too!' -- Amanda's Handy Hints, Amanda Keller.
The Following User Says Thank You to grimelda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
frankie1star
Old 03-09-2007, 8:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I make the caramel in the microwave, its fiddly but less so than trying not to burning it on the hob. I dont make the version that requires boiling the tin. I use the one that comes off the Nestle website adding butter and sugar. Never had a complaint!!
The Following User Says Thank You to frankie1star For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
ashlea170706
Old 22-03-2008, 11:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Banoffee Pie

I dont kow if this has already been posted on here but this is my easy recipe i follow when making banoffee pie thought some of you might like to try it! Let me know what ya think! Ash x

Ingredients
  • Tin (400g) of condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk!)
  • Three large bananas
  • One packet of McVities Chocolate Hob-Nobs (or similar-digestives will do)
  • Half-pint of double cream, or whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
Method

Crush the biscuits in a freezer bag with a rolling pin until they are reduced to crumbs. Gently heat some margarine in a saucepan until liquid (or just leave some out at room temperature to soften). Pour crumbs and liquid/soft margarine and mix in with the crumbs until they start to bind together. Transfer the biscuit crumbs to a round dish (a large Pyrex dish is good) and pat with a spoon so that they cover the base. Place in the fridge to set. Put the tin of condensed milk in a pan of boiling water (NB- don't open the tin first!) and allow to boil for 2 hours . You should put a lid on the pan to prevent all the water boiling off. When done, remove the tin and leave to cool a little (you could pour cold water on it to cool the outside). When cool enough to handle, open the tin carefully - the condensed milk will have caramelised and may well shoot out the opening. Pour/spoon the toffee from the tin onto the biscuit base of the Pyrex dish. Place back in the fridge to cool. Slice the bananas and arrange them on top of the toffee. Whip the cream until peaking, then fold on top and smooth out. Dust with chocolate powder for effect. Keep in the fridge until needed, covered with cling-film.
The Following User Says Thank You to ashlea170706 For This Useful Post: Show me >>