Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 2nd Dec 15, 8:04 PM
    • 1,484Posts
    • 1,585Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Mrs P's Diary - The Final Push
    • 2nd Dec 15, 8:04 PM
    Mrs P's Diary - The Final Push 2nd Dec 15 at 8:04 PM
    Its been quite a few months since I have posted anything on my diary - so I thought I would start a shiny new one.

A bit about myself - I am the wrong side of 50, married with one son who is in his second year at university. DH and I both work.

I am aiming to be almost debt free by December 2017. I want to count my mortgage in with this debt.

I can feel bad habits starting to creep in again and want to nip it in the bud so hopefully this diary will help to keep me on track.

Money owed:

Credit Card £1350 approx
    Overdraft £1500 approx
    Loan 1 £10,000 approx
    Loan 2 £15,000 approx
    Mortage £15,000 approx

Savings are £6,500

We also need some work done to the guttering and roof of the house which is costing £1,900 - have saved £1,500 towards this - the work will be done mid-January so i do have a bit of time to save up the £400.

At the moment am working to pay off the cc and the overdraft so a bit on each every month.

The loans are of course being paid monthly - I am aiming to also save once the OD and CC are paid off and then try and pay down Loan 1.

I have gone back to meal planning and doing one big shop once a month - did this last month and it worked really well. Have already done my meal plans for December and January and am hoping not to have to do a big shop until we are paid at the end of January.
    Getting back on Track
Page 1
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 16th Dec 15, 1:01 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    • 16th Dec 15, 1:01 PM
    • 16th Dec 15, 1:01 PM
    Oh dear - why does it always happen? Repair on DH's bike will cost us £506 which is going on the CC and DS has just asked for £500 for his house rent as he is "in his overdraft" so I have just transferred to him.

Have told DS we will be looking at budgeting when he comes home for Christmas this week. Its hard for students I think as he gets a lump sum every quarter and is supposed to budget with that - I can barely do it when paid monthly! Also as DH and my salaries are taken into account he only gets a grant which covers 3 months rent only.

In happier news - the meal planning is going well and DH and I are questioning if we want a large purchase and the freezer is full to bursting so we shouldn't have any big shopping (as I call it) to do till hopefully beginning of February.
    Getting back on Track
    • Taylor132
    • By Taylor132 16th Dec 15, 2:14 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Taylor132
    • 16th Dec 15, 2:14 PM
    • 16th Dec 15, 2:14 PM
    Hello Mrs Porridge

I know exactly what you mean. I've managed to wrack up about £5k on various things over the last few years or rather never clear them..... I'm on to it now though.

I hope this doesn't cause offense, but this is a perfect time to education your student. When I say educate, scare the s**t out of them in the hope of saving them from the cycle of debt we all inhabit.

I wish so much I had been prudent with my student loan and got a little part job. I'm fairly certain I would have left uni with a good starting point for a house deposit......
    [B]Barclay Card[/B] Aug 2014 £1,900 Tesco (0% balance transfer with NO FEE!!!) £1200 Mortgage As of Jan 2015 £75k Aug 2014 £93k

DFD Jan 2025
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 2nd Jan 16, 1:27 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    • 2nd Jan 16, 1:27 PM
    • 2nd Jan 16, 1:27 PM
    Taylor - agree completely and have been trying to make DS money savvy I don't want him to end up like me.

Haven't done too badly over Christmas mainly by dint of staying in a lot and just watching loads of TV. Having said that it has been a really nice break. We still have loads of food left over so are still on track to not having to do a big shop till end of January.
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 3rd Jan 16, 3:38 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    • 3rd Jan 16, 3:38 PM
    • 3rd Jan 16, 3:38 PM
    Something to celebrate. We went into town today to order some contact lenses and actually walked out of Tescos without buying anything. Its a brilliant start for the New Year.
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 19th Jan 16, 8:33 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    • 19th Jan 16, 8:33 PM
    • 19th Jan 16, 8:33 PM
    One big change is not stopping off at the supermarket for something I forgot and then spending upwards of £20 odd. Have restricted myself to going to the supermarket once a week - meal planning, writing a shopping list and actually sticking to it.

We still have loads of food in the freezer and as its just the two of us it doesn't matter if we have strange combinations.

Have also decided to try and lose some much needed weight - all my clothes are feeling very tight and when I can do them up its a struggle and I look awful.

To that end am going to try and keep my diet food plan on here as well and try and fill this diary in a bit more.

After discussion with DH we have decided to attack the CC first. Will update the totals on pay day.

Tomorrow I will have a yoghurt for breakfast. I am attending an all day event at work and lunch will be provided - its sandwiches so not that brilliant for weight loss - but a free lunch is always great for a Moneysaver! There is always plenty left over so I am taking an empty butty box with me and hope to get enough for myself and DH's lunches the following day as we are allowed to take the left-overs and its always a bit of a scrum so elbows at the ready.

Dinner tomorrow is chicken and broccoli bakes with baked beans.
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 30th Jan 16, 8:05 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    • 30th Jan 16, 8:05 PM
    • 30th Jan 16, 8:05 PM
    A real result today. Went into town to upgrade DH's phone. His bill has now gone down by £5 with a new phone and traded his old oe in so no outlay - in fact we got £40 refunded. Also changed DS' tariff (which we pay) and his gone down from £39.50 to £12. Also changed mine down from £33 to £14. can hardly believe it. Just really goes to show what a rip off these mobiles really are if you don't keep on top of it.
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 2nd Feb 16, 3:01 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    • 2nd Feb 16, 3:01 PM
    • 2nd Feb 16, 3:01 PM
    Got home yesterday to find the water bill - we are in credit and as form 1st March our payments will drop from £55 pm to £21.50! I guess it took just over a year from DS moving out for it to show up that we aren't having showers every five minutes nor using the washing machine every day

Finished work a bit earlier. Was tempted to stop off at Sainsbogs for "stuff". Drove straight past - so that is another £10 - 20 saved.

I also had lunch at my desk - normally I go to a canteen and buy a drink and eat my packed lunch - so an NSD for me.
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 9th Feb 16, 6:14 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    • 9th Feb 16, 6:14 PM
    • 9th Feb 16, 6:14 PM
    Pancakes for tea tonight - we made extra and I filled them with a cheese and ham sauce (cheese sauce made with some leftover creme fraciche). These have gone in the butty boxes for lunch tomorrow - goodness knows if you can microwave pancakes but will find out tomorrow!
    Getting back on Track
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Feb 16, 9:53 PM
    • 44,876 Posts
    • 155,542 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great savings on the mobiles
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Desperate to be debt free
    • By Desperate to be debt free 10th Feb 16, 9:26 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    Desperate to be debt free
    Been reading your diary Mrs P. Good luck with your final push, you seem to be really motivated. I can relate to you having weird food combination. We quite often have a 'muck and bullets' tea when I'm clearing out the freezer.
    DRS £256.00 (awaiting settlement figure) First of many
    Money towards debt £95
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 11th Feb 16, 8:59 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Loving that phrase "muck and bullets".

You can reheat pancakes with a cheese and ham sauce in the microwave - actually tasted better than the freshly made ones the night before.

At the weekend (is it really Friday tomorrow?) I batch cooked macaroni cheese and chilli - I had some leftover mash and lumped that on top of the chilli - a kind of cottage chill pie. We had some of that for tea tonight. Packed lunches done - mine a ham sandwich, DH a big pasty thing I got for about 49p a couple of months ago and its been in the freezer ever since.

tea tomorrow we are really splashing out and having beans on toast.
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 15th Feb 16, 6:38 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    A first - DH and I stayed in for Valentine's Day - cleaned the kitchen, watched TV and cooked our own special meal. Guess what? We seriously enjoyed our day and the kitchen looks fab.

A small (and I mean small) monetary victory - a seriously stressful day at work resulting in my needing to stock up on Anadin Extras. Priced at £1.99 in Boots - when I got to the till was asked for £2. I pointed out that even though it was only a penny it would be better in my pocket than theirs

Dinner tonight is pie - yellow stickered - and serves 4 so will be chopped into four and DH and I will have a quarter each tonight and the other two quarters will go into the butty boxes for packed lunhces. Served with mash and peas.
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 25th Feb 16, 4:55 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Reading some of the threads on the forum at lunchtime I came across the Skint Dad's 365 day penny challenge. Have decided to join. I am using a wooden box DH made at work which we can't break into! Have put in £15.96 so am now up to date.

I took a photo of it but can't work out to post it! will try and figure it out.
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 25th Feb 16, 5:56 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    I think I need to use a third party software to upload photos so I won't bother - thought it was easy like Facebook. Never mind - it wasn't that mind-blowingly exciting - its a black wooden box with the Skint Dad's penny challenge chart behind it!
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 1st Mar 16, 6:23 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    He giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other - or something along those lines.

Well pleased as I booked some ferry crossings to Ireland and got a reduction of £70. Then suddenly find out that work will now be charging us to park next month - £50 per month
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 7th Oct 16, 3:35 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    I haven't updated this for ages - blame life in general. Back on it now and here are the updated figures:

Money owed:

Credit Card £3464
    Overdraft ZERO
    Loan 1 £8,806
    Loan 2 £14,448
    Mortage £9,100

Savings £4,100

So total now owed is £35,818 as opposed to £42,850 earlier in the year. So it is coming down slowly but surely. Having said that the old CC has crept up again.

I have had a bit of a summer of spending but managed to pay off the OD and am determined not to get into that again.

Am still doing the Skint Dad challenge.

DS has gone back to UNI (last weekend) so this weekend will be tidying up the house!

Things I need to do:

Check bank account every day - am doing this
    Declutter - do a little bit each week but need to step it up - not always easy as DH is a hoarder so I have to be careful
    Start meal planning again

This weekend:

Put tent and air beds back into loft

Make tons of soup using veggies for a healthier diet and so I don't have to keep thinking "what's for packed lunches and what's for tea". Hopefully will help us lose a bit of weight as well.

Housework

May go to the cinema to see Girl on the Train if weather is bad.
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 7th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Look up Super Speed Soup I think it's called - healthy, freezes well and actually tastes nice...

I know it's ages ago, but your anadin extra - you know you're paying for a brand name? Honestly look at the ingredients of that and then the own brand versions. You can nearly always find one with exactly the same active ingredients And the savings can be significant! Even for flu and cold medications think I paid £1.50 for TEsco own night and day 16 caps - Lemsip version £3.50 !!!
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    Sept 2016 - £10811 Oct £10166 to clear Cleared Since Sept 16:£645 6% repaid Declutter 25 items in November target: 0/25 Make £10 extra a day in November: £57/£150
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 7th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    MrsTinks I haven't touched the Anadin Extras for months - I now use supermarket brand paracetamol and then only occasionally. So I am pleased about that as I think I was starting to take them like sweets.
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 9th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    A good weekend. Have batch made loads of soup and it's ready to go into the freezer - enough for two week's worth of lunches for self and DH.

Dinner tonight is sweet jacket potato with some hm chilli I found stuck at the back of the freezer.

Dinner tomorrow will be jacket normal potatoes with beans and cheese. Trying just to use up leftovers this week.

Stuff put away in loft.

we did go to the cinema to see Girl on the Train - slightly expensive as our yearly passes had run out so we had to renew them. Cost £9.95 to renew and as part of that you get a free ticket. Having the passes means we save £2 each time we go to cinema - ticket price then being £4.95 - so we get a night out for 10p under a tenner. We get our monies worth as go at least 3 times a month. It's only a small local cinema and I like to support it as if it closes the nearest one is then 27 miles away (even our "local" one is 12 miles away! But we do go after work to save on the mileage.
    Getting back on Track
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

702Posts Today

5,052Users online

Martin's Twitter