Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Page 1
  • bkclive
    • 27th Aug 07, 8:35 AM
    • 27th Aug 07, 8:35 AM
    Any decent DIY store will have tins of roof sealant, which is simply painted on. Some types have to be put on in the dry, others (more expensive) can be applied in the rain if it's a real emergency. I bought a tin of the 'apply in the wet or dry' for about 12.00 a few weeks ago with enough in it for a square metre of coverage. It did what it said on the tin, and we've had no more problems. Of course you would have to remove all the gravel first before the paint can be applied which if not done carefully can actually damage the waterproofing further. Another point is knowing exactly where the leak is! I notice you said 'leaks'. If the roof covering is quite old and has a lot of areas that have deteriorated, then you may find that the best solution will a replacement covering, rather than having to constantly patch all the time.
    Good luck with the leak finding!
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 27th Aug 07, 12:07 PM
    • 12,595 Posts
    • 9,459 Thanks
    • 27th Aug 07, 12:07 PM
    • 27th Aug 07, 12:07 PM
    Thompson roof seal you can apply in the dry over existing felt as long as the grit isnt loose just brush loose gravel. It may take two coats, its grey in colour but when dry turns black which takes about 30 mins. It was about £15-£16 for a large tin

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

1,512Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @arlenephillips: I use mine. Hate making long calls on mobile.

• PS the pigs in my new profile pic are not a political comment (read that as you will!)

• New profile picture for the first time in two years - older, and finally given in to putting a jacket on.

• Follow Martin