Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sam M
    • By MSE Sam M 1st Dec 15, 3:23 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    MSE Sam M
    Help to Buy ISA guide
    • 1st Dec 15, 3:23 PM
    Help to Buy ISA guide 1st Dec 15 at 3:23 PM

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 69
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Jun 17, 12:01 AM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Unfortunately your last paragraph is an accurate summary of your options at this stage, so you'll need to weigh up the sums and timescales involved.

To participate in the HTB scheme, conveyancers need to jump through various admin hoops but you can't force them if they're not interested, it's not compulsory for all conveyancers to do it. Best not spend more time on why they're adopting the stance they are and just move on, frustrating and expensive though that may be.
    • Dribiddi
    • By Dribiddi 8th Jun 17, 12:48 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Dribiddi
    I've read a little about transferring amounts from a different isa to the help to buy one. Is this possible and if so could the transfer be for more than £200?
    • Apathy
    • By Apathy 8th Jun 17, 8:47 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Apathy
    Hi. Jist a quicl question. Looking to buy right now and house purchase could take around a few months to complete but im not a 1st time buyer but my partner is, just wondering which is the best isa to go for and to get the maximum amount if its evem possible or worth to open one now, im assuming it would be the barclays 2.27% htb isa and she has the funds to maximise which ever is best and im presuming the lifetime isa would be worth it as can only get the bonus after a year? Many thanks.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 8th Jun 17, 11:11 AM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I've read a little about transferring amounts from a different isa to the help to buy one. Is this possible and if so could the transfer be for more than £200?
    Originally posted by Dribiddi
    You'd need to check the terms of any HTB ISA you'd be interested in transferring into, but the limits of £200/month (plus £1K in month 1) are non-negotiable so transfers don't allow you to exceed those.

Have you considered a Lifetime ISA instead, as these have a higher (£4K) annual limit?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 8th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Hi. Jist a quicl question. Looking to buy right now and house purchase could take around a few months to complete but im not a 1st time buyer but my partner is, just wondering which is the best isa to go for and to get the maximum amount if its evem possible or worth to open one now, im assuming it would be the barclays 2.27% htb isa and she has the funds to maximise which ever is best and im presuming the lifetime isa would be worth it as can only get the bonus after a year? Many thanks.
    Originally posted by Apathy
    You certainly have an apathetic approach to structuring sentences!

Anyway, yes, assuming you actually omitted a 'not' in your assessment of LISAs, HTB is better for an imminent purchase - if your partner started one this month and paid in the maximum amounts, she'd be eligible for the minimum (£400) bonus in August. As you say, the Barclays one comes out on top of interest-based best-buy evaluations such as http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/help-to-buy-ISA#bestbuys
    • GMNN
    • By GMNN 11th Jun 17, 12:33 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GMNN
    Hello - havent been able to find the answer to my question below in the scheme ruled or thid forum..

I opened a Help to Buy ISA last year and recently had an offer accepted on a property in London over the 450,000 threshold so unfortunately wont be able to claim the Help to Buy ISA bonus. However its not clear to me when I actually have to close my Help to Buy ISA.. Is it before the exchange of contracts or before completion? Obviously would like to delay it as long as possible.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Hello - havent been able to find the answer to my question below in the scheme ruled or thid forum..

I opened a Help to Buy ISA last year and recently had an offer accepted on a property in London over the 450,000 threshold so unfortunately wont be able to claim the Help to Buy ISA bonus. However its not clear to me when I actually have to close my Help to Buy ISA.. Is it before the exchange of contracts or before completion? Obviously would like to delay it as long as possible.
    Originally posted by GMNN
    You're in the same boat as the OP in this recent thread - I highlighted sections of the scheme rules that seem relevant but it's not 100% clear-cut....
    • mussonn
    • By mussonn 12th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mussonn
    Simple question
    Is the max property price going to go up?
    As in London by 2030 £450k might not buy much

I am looking at 1 bed flats for £300k and that is now !!
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Jun 17, 12:39 AM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Simple question
    Is the max property price going to go up?
    As in London by 2030 £450k might not buy much

I am looking at 1 bed flats for £300k and that is now !!
    Originally posted by mussonn
    Simple answer: nobody knows!

There's certainly never been any commitment to index-link the limit or even (to the best of my knowledge) to review it periodically, so anything else would just be pure speculation.

Is your question entirely hypothetical or are you actually looking to buy in 2030? If the latter, then you may wish to consider other means of raising a deposit, such as investment products better suited to long-term growth than cash-based offerings....
    • mussonn
    • By mussonn 14th Jun 17, 7:39 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mussonn
    Many thanks
    The 2030 is hypothetical but the minimum period to get the full 3k is about 4.5 years and that takes me to 2222.
    • Minihumph
    • By Minihumph 14th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Minihumph
    Hi all - quick question.

The HTB ISA's limit is £250k - does anyone know if this goes up to £500k if two people with HTB ISAs buy a house together?

Many thanks!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 14th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 5,128 Posts
    • 4,339 Thanks
    badger09
    Hi all - quick question.

The HTB ISA's limit is £250k - does anyone know if this goes up to £500k if two people with HTB ISAs buy a house together?

Many thanks!
    Originally posted by Minihumph
    No it doesn't.

The £250k limit applies to the property, not the number of people buying it.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Many thanks
    The 2030 is hypothetical but the minimum period to get the full 3k is about 4.5 years and that takes me to 2222.
    Originally posted by mussonn
    You might wish to consider a lifetime ISA instead then, as this is a quicker way to larger bonuses, in that you could earn £2K of bonus within a year from now and £1K/year after that.
    • zeemouse
    • By zeemouse 21st Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zeemouse
    Hi all, I can't find the answer I'm looking for online or in this thread so I'm turning to you lot, the experts!

I bought my first house Feb 2017, solely, utilising the help to buy ISA bonus. My girlfriend has now moved in and has a help 2 buy ISA. I have a 2yr fixed mortgage on my own (till Feb 2019).

When it comes to re-mortgaging, we've discussed changing it so that we have a joint mortgage as tenants in common with her adding a deposit to match my value owned as much as possible; to have a more even share in the property and to pay off the mortgage quicker. Need to discuss this part with a mortgage adviser and/ or solicitor.

My question: Because she's a first time buyer, can she use her help to buy ISA + bonus to 'buy into' my property as such, as she wouldn't want to waste it of course.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 21st Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    This came up in a recent thread (in the context of LISA rather than HTB but same principle) in which one of the better-informed forum members answered that if it's handled as a proper sale/purchase (rather than just remortgaging) then it should be OK.
    • Simon Richards
    • By Simon Richards 21st Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simon Richards
    Hi all.

Not sure if this has been asked in previous posts but....

Myself and my partner shall be hoping to buy in the coming months. She is a first time buyer and has the Barclays Help To Buy ISA, i currently own a house in my own name.
    Once we buy somewhere together i intend to keep my property on in my name and rent it out. Will this have any implications on the matter or not?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 21st Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    No problems, as long as the property being bought with a HTB ISA is going to be the buyer's main residence.
    • Ellabeth
    • By Ellabeth 27th Jun 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ellabeth
    Going to work abroad
    A question.
    I am going to work in Qarar for two years, can I still pay into and qualify for help to buy ISA?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 27th Jun 17, 11:47 PM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    A question.
    I am going to work in Qarar for two years, can I still pay into and qualify for help to buy ISA?
    Originally posted by Ellabeth
    No, you can't pay into any ISA when not resident in the UK (but can keep any that are already open): https://www.gov.uk/individual-savings-accounts/if-you-move-abroad-or-die
    • smicksticks
    • By smicksticks 28th Jun 17, 10:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    smicksticks
    Hi, I wonder if someone can help me.

A friend of mine opened a help to buy isa 2 months ago and unfortunately didn't deposit the initial £1000 within 21 days. At the minute he has deposited no money at all into the ISA.

Would you possibly know is there any way for him to still take advantage of the £1000 initial deposit? E.g. Maybe close the ISA and open a new one with a different bank?

Thank you for your help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,331Posts Today

8,300Users online

Martin's Twitter