making hay while the sun shines (by freshcotton)

Options

Comments

• MoneyMission
    MoneyMission Posts: 652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nice going on the salary. Great OP too.

MM
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £2,420 / £2,420 - 100% :T
  • User1489
    User1489 Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi FC, catching up with your thread. Nice to see some other guys in their 30's - I think we're the last generation to buy!?

Well done and see going.
    Baby Step 1 - £1k Emergency Fund - COMPLETE
    Baby Step 2 - Pay off all debts except the Mortgage - £9,326 to go
    Baby Step 3 - Save 6 months of expenses into full Emergency Fund - £4,300 to go

Baby Step 4 - Put 15% into Pension
    Baby Step 6 - Pay off the Mortgage early
    Baby Step 7 - Live like no-one else :D
  • freshcotton
    freshcotton Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys

Works been very busy so not had time to update. Iv continued being frugal and making my money work super hard. Iv been paid my salary from my new job and received payment from my last job so good news is that my bathroom has been fully paid for (£4500) and not due to be completed till July so I'm proud of getting that sorted so in advance.

Iv continued to overpay the maximum by just under £1k on the mortgage and place another £1k in a separate account for when my fixed term comes to an end.

This month is a nightmare with road tax, insurance, mot, RAC etc to pay so that should be fun.

Hope everyone is ok and enjoying the bank holiday
    Mortgage Start - August 2013 £145,000 ************ Balance at April 2017 - £59,000

Target - Overpay by £2,500 each month ************** Mortgage free by December 2018!
  • freshcotton
    Options
    Update -

£4,500 bathroom account, so fully paid
    £14,000 mortgage overpayment account (to be paid at end of fixed period)
    £1,500 -'savings' for cars, boilers, holidays etc.

Clearly the savings pot needs adding to over the months, will probably put in £500 in each (good) month.

Mortgage balance, after payment comes out this month will be £110,450.

As you can see we have continued being good financially, which has been so easy due to long work days, when its the weekend all I want to now do is be at home and relax. I Spent time doing the garden up last weekend (and spent £100 on it), and its lovely, and also spending more time baking which is great. There are so many better ways to spend your time than spending money and going out on expensive days out. I want to visit the countryside this weekend to see the lambs in the field with a flask of tea, the peaceful surroundings is just what we need.
    Mortgage Start - August 2013 £145,000 ************ Balance at April 2017 - £59,000

Target - Overpay by £2,500 each month ************** Mortgage free by December 2018!
  • LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just read your diary
    You are doing brilliantly. If you offset your OP pot against the mortgage you are already in 5 figures. Makes the effort of packed lunches seem very worthwhile.
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • freshcotton
    Options
    Thanks LadyGnome

I never really seem to take into account the mortgage overpayment pot when calculating my mortgage balance, but then I also don't class it as 'savings' as its not money that I am allowed to spend - so its like I have £14k in no-mans-land. Once my fixed rate comes to an end (Aug 2017) it will be a great feeling making one massive overpayment.

Its been another cheap weekend, got a take away last night = £20 and my partner wants to go out for gelato today =£10. Today will hopefully be relaxing but unfortunately I am on call tomorrow so don't have the full bank holiday off, which is a pain.

I have had the joy of comparing energy plans today as my current one is coming to an end, what an absolute mess the pricing system is. I have had a tea break in between and still slightly confused.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday

• freshcotton
    Options
    Hey guys

Hope everyone is ok. Quick update, things still going to plan. A quick breakdown for June

Joint income : £4,650

Mortgage OP : £950
    Savings : £2000

The rest is on direct debits, food and fuel.
    Booked a trip to Cornwall for July which I'm excited about as Iv never been. Iv done some recalculating and I think that that I could get rid of my mortgage within 24 months but that's if everything stays the same so unlikely, but I'm focused on it.

Il be 33 and my partner would be 39, it would be such an achievement, especially when thinking of the interest saved.

It's bank holiday! Although I'm on call Monday (to earn money to pay mortgage off), I'm hoping to have a relaxing, spend free weekend. Spending time in my garden, reading, baking and a take away tonight with trashy TV.

• Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That time spell would be an amazing achievement.. wow touching distance... Now that would keep me focussed too :D good luck
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • freshcotton
    edited 4 June 2016 at 2:09PM
    Options
    Iv decided today that I just don't like mortgage interest. Sometimes I feel people don't think about it enough. I was speaking to a friend the other day who is selling a house for approx £20k more than the purchase price and he was saying "Iv made £20k in so many years", I reminded him that's it's not all "profit" because during that time, he has paid interest. Once he realised this, he looked a bit shocked.

Now I appreciate all debt isn't bad and of course one must take into account that during the years of a mortgage we benefit from a roof over our heads. The point however, is that mortgages increase the cost of our already overpriced homes while not increasing the value.

So. Our current home is a 2 bed, small terrace, albeit in a nice area. My partner is adamant that he wants to move eventually, although we are not sure when and it's certainly not soon.

I would estimate the next move would require an additional £70-£90k.

What would be great is if I could pay this mortgage off (let's say 3 years to go) and then save the required amount before moving so I can purchase outright.

That's my long time (slightly pie in the sky) aim, to pay as little as possible in interest, even if that means I'm not "upgrading" my house as quickly as others.

Just thought I would post my idea so I could come back to it one day.

• A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Iv decided today that I just don't like mortgage interest. Sometimes I feel people don't think about it enough.

What would be great is if I could pay this mortgage off (let's say 3 years to go) and then save the required amount before moving so I can purchase outright.

That's my long time (slightly pie in the sky) aim, to pay as little as possible in interest, even if that means I'm not "upgrading" my house as quickly as others.

Just thought I would post my idea so I could come back to it one day.

It's thinking about the interest that makes me o/p as soon as I have a spare cash. If I was allowed to o/p, say £6000 till the end of the year, and I had the cash now, I would o/p now, then save what would have been my monthly o/p's back into my savings, (if you can follow me) :D Saves so much more in interest, than o/p monthly.

Purchase outright - what a nice feeling that would be:)

You may not even need to upgrade your (new) house, and if you do, do it at your own pace, as for this house, if you can wait for a new kitchen or bathroom for 1 year, then o/p NOW and start re-saving.

Good idea, to jot down your future plans / ldeas, nice when you look back and tell yourself, Look we've done it:T
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport