Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • freshcotton
    • By freshcotton 29th Nov 15, 8:37 AM
    • 212Posts
    • 541Thanks
    freshcotton
    making hay while the sun shines (by freshcotton)
    • 29th Nov 15, 8:37 AM
    making hay while the sun shines (by freshcotton) 29th Nov 15 at 8:37 AM
    making hay while the sun shines...

I think this is the best financial advice you can get (and probably obvious to most on this forum), but sometimes I like to remind myself as to why I am trying to be financially sensible.

Iv got to say, at the minute, things are good for us, two lads, early to mid 30s decent jobs and no debts. So financially, we can comfortably pay our bills, overpay on our mortgage and save a little too, but of course, a lot can (and will) change.

There is no risk of us having children so that's one major life change I don't need to worry about! However I think our income could drop in the next few years, and I could even be at risk of redundancy at some point next year.

Our cars (for example) are middle aged and cant keep going for years to come so they will need repurchasing eventually as well as other general house maintenance.

Right now, my focus is paying the mortgage off and building the savings pot. We don't have any investments because they scare me, but I know that's foolish so will learn more about them on the way. But for now, I just want the mortgage to go away.

So this is my diary, to update my progress and to remind me to continue making hay for now, to prevent insecurity during any cold and cloudy days ahead.

I will update further financial info later on, but thanks for reading.
    Last edited by freshcotton; 26-12-2015 at 9:40 PM.
Page 8
    • Numbercruncher_mfw
    • By Numbercruncher_mfw 18th May 17, 7:11 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Numbercruncher_mfw
    My mfw journey is just starting, I bought my first flat earlier this year. I'm on a 30 year mortgage atm but aiming to knock at least 15 years off
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,742Posts Today

8,199Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin