Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vigman
    • By vigman 26th Nov 15, 5:45 PM
    • 1,120Posts
    • 270Thanks
    vigman
    Warning: top-battery.co.uk
    • 26th Nov 15, 5:45 PM
    Warning: top-battery.co.uk 26th Nov 15 at 5:45 PM
    Hi

I needed a new Toshiba laptop battery and did not want the Chinese options available on Ebay.

I found top-battery . co . uk which has a professional looking website with the Royal Mail logo on it.

I usually check companies out but am rather unwell at the moment so made an immediate purchase. It came to £24 so not super cheap for an old model.

I was very disappointed to see that my Paypal payment was to a company based in China and having found terrible reviews since doubt I will get a battery, or a good battery or a refund if requested. (People who requested a Paypal refund had to post the battery back at £12 and was often recorded as not received.)

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 26th Nov 15, 8:35 PM
    • 25,693 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 26th Nov 15, 8:35 PM
    • 26th Nov 15, 8:35 PM
    Domain name:
    top-battery.co.uk

Registrant:
    luo xianghua

Registrant type:
    Non-UK Individual

Registrant's address:
    DongBian Commercial Building
    Longhua townBaoan District
    Shenzhen
    China
    China

Unless your buying through proper channels then your likely to get a Chinese battery anyway.

Lots of UK sellers with the same battery your buying but it just costs extra. If it a fake one with Toshiba logo's?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • vigman
    • By vigman 27th Nov 15, 9:36 AM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    vigman
    • 27th Nov 15, 9:36 AM
    • 27th Nov 15, 9:36 AM
    My point was that 'proper channels' in this case appeared to be a UK website with a Royal Mail logo next to 'fast shipping' which would only be possible in the UK.

According to reviews the shipping from China takes about 3 weeks if anything arrives at all.

I have bought hundreds of branded batteries from genuine .co.uk websites when an IT Manager.

£24 would be in the right range for this battery (instead of say £10 which would also have rung alarm bells)

This site deliberately intends to deceive, hence my warning

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 27th Nov 15, 10:01 AM
    • 15,272 Posts
    • 11,089 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 27th Nov 15, 10:01 AM
    • 27th Nov 15, 10:01 AM
    My point was that 'proper channels' in this case appeared to be a UK website with a Royal Mail logo next to 'fast shipping' which would only be possible in the UK.

According to reviews the shipping from China takes about 3 weeks if anything arrives at all.

I have bought hundreds of branded batteries from genuine .co.uk websites when an IT Manager.

£24 would be in the right range for this battery (instead of say £10 which would also have rung alarm bells)

This site deliberately intends to deceive, hence my warning

Vigman
    Originally posted by vigman

Price can't be one of the indicators to deciding if it's genuine .
    At least you know now to check out websites before you buy.
    The use of the word " freight" in their returns policy would have rung alarm bells, but more so the website itself.
    Last edited by hollydays; 27-11-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    • Exile_geordie
    • By Exile_geordie 27th Nov 15, 10:11 AM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    Exile_geordie
    • 27th Nov 15, 10:11 AM
    • 27th Nov 15, 10:11 AM
    Originally posted by vigman
    I understand you are not well at the moment but the website looks like it has been knocked together by a 10 year old in 2002
    Northern Northern Northern.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 28th Nov 15, 2:20 AM
    • 25,693 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 28th Nov 15, 2:20 AM
    • 28th Nov 15, 2:20 AM
    Having a RM logo doesnt mean the items are not cheap and nasty, it just means they may have someone in the UK that will ship it faster.

I have bought lots from China, occasionally they have the items in the UK for speedy delivery.

If they use China Post RM delivery it anyway.

Little hints like "We offering premium quality laptop batteries"
    and "This enables us to provide the most up-to-date battery pack testing for the most advanced portable consumer electronic products"

and "all the batteries to be tested before to sell"

And lots more error that make it stand out. Address with no company name, google the address and you get several logistics and fulfillment companies.

http://southall.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/4px-fulfillment--uk--ltd-22259996.html

Plus the website being registered to a Chinese address, its hard to see how you could think anything other than cheap and Chinese.

I but lots of stuff, ordered a load yesterday and still waiting for a big order.

With batteries though the stated capacity is likely to be fake, i bought a torch and they gave me a free battery stating 6800mAh. I was expecting 600 at most, turned out to be over 1200. But it was free.
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 28-11-2015 at 2:23 AM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• vigman
    • By vigman 28th Nov 15, 9:57 AM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    vigman
    • 28th Nov 15, 9:57 AM
    • 28th Nov 15, 9:57 AM
    Just a couple of points

1.) Although things look different when you are off the morphine it is actually a dead copy of a legitimate UK battery site I found later.

2.) To be fair, I mailed them straight away asking them not to process the order and asking for a refund as I thought it was a UK company and I needed the battery quickly. The Paypal refund was processed the next day.

Thanks

Vigman
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 28th Nov 15, 9:42 PM
    • 25,693 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 28th Nov 15, 9:42 PM
    • 28th Nov 15, 9:42 PM
    A dead copy then it's probably the same people.

Same as on ebay where you get 20 seemingly different sellers yet they all share either the same email for the same phone number.

• vigman
    • By vigman 29th Nov 15, 10:45 AM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    vigman
    • 29th Nov 15, 10:45 AM
    • 29th Nov 15, 10:45 AM
    A dead copy then it's probably the same people.

Same as on ebay where you get 20 seemingly different sellers yet they all share either the same email for the same phone number.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I thought so as well but this was a UK company (rang them) so it must have been the model for the Chinese copies!!

I don't mind risking smaller amounts of money on electronic Chinese imports as long as I use decent test equipment on them. One USB charging plug I bought made the metal on an iPhone give off high voltage accompanied by a fairly substantial electric shock.

However many items come from the same factories as much higher price branded items and are good value....but I stress that I have good testing equipment.

DO NOT use cheap multimeters to test mains voltage. Search "exploding multimeters' on You Tube if this link does not work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg44zuxGmMg

Vigman
    Last edited by vigman; 29-11-2015 at 10:50 AM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 29th Nov 15, 3:19 PM
    • 25,693 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I wouldnt dream of using a cheap multimeter to test the mains, i use my oscilloscope to check all earth referenced mains devices

Google that one

• bestbuyet
    • By bestbuyet 10th Jul 17, 3:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bestbuyet
    Warning good-batteries.co.uk
    Luo Xianghua also runs this site another scam purchased battery believing to be from uk but not its a Chinese scam claims a fictitious address in uk never answers mail or phone calls never got re fund beware
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 12th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    It seems that your concern is that you feel that you were dealing with a UK business when you in fact were dealing with a foreign one. You based your conclusion on the fact that there was a Royal Mail logo on the website. In many cases it helps if you do a whois search, which will tell you who registered the domain and in what country it was registered. Sometimes this option is not working, as some people use whois privacy. Secondly you could do a search on the company name on the "companies house" website. If the company doesn't show up there, it's a sign that it's not registered in the UK. You could also search the alleged UK address on "companies house" and it will tell you if the company in question is registered there.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Secondly you could do a search on the company name on the "companies house" website. If the company doesn't show up there, it's a sign that it's not registered in the UK.
    Originally posted by MrJones1
    So joe bloggs plumbing in manchester is not a UK business because he is not listed at companies house.

ONLY Limited companies are registered at companies house and you dont have to be a limited company to run a business in the UK
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 13th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    So joe bloggs plumbing in manchester is not a UK business because he is not listed at companies house.

ONLY Limited companies are registered at companies house and you dont have to be a limited company to run a business in the UK
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    I should have mentioned that there are only limited companies registered there. Thank you for clarifying this. One could also use a reputable business directory to confirm if the business is real or not. Yes there are sole traders out there that are not listed, but there should be information on their website if they have any. The information should include the name of the person who trades and the address. It should be easy to look up if the information is real or fake.
    Last edited by MrJones1; 13-07-2017 at 6:53 PM.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 13th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I should have mentioned that there are only limited companies registered there. Thank you for clarifying this. One could also use a reputable business directory to confirm if the business is real or not. Yes there are sole traders out there that are not listed, but there should be information on their website if they have any. The information should include the name of the person who trades and the address. It should be easy to look up if the information is real or fake.
    Originally posted by MrJones1
    Personally i think all businesses should be at least have to get a DUNS number (https://www.dnb.co.uk/duns-number.html) as just like a Ltd Company must register with companies house.
    but then who will police it, just like any UK business that store personal details must register under the Data Protection Act and i bet a lot of UK businesses are not registered
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,834Posts Today

6,562Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin