Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 10:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:18 PM.
Page 5
    • AbbieCadabra
    • By AbbieCadabra 16th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    AbbieCadabra
    My switch went ok (early may), I enter meter readings every month but no statements yet.
    Originally posted by ScoobyZ
    I'd contact them as we switched 10th May & have had a bill each month, a few days after entering reading. no email to advise the statement/bill has been produced, but showing ok when logging into account.
    • Lincolnshirepoacher
    • By Lincolnshirepoacher 2nd Aug 17, 6:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lincolnshirepoacher
    Avro Energy
    Switched from SSE in January 2016
    No problems switching and no problems since. Monthly debit of £53 for combined gas and electricity seems about right as I have current credit of £96 so no big build up of cash.
    Would recommend them
    • stormdb
    • By stormdb 7th Aug 17, 9:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    stormdb
    Used 2 other providers before, so have something to compare. Switched to Avro a year ago.
    - Switch was smooth. Probably took a bit longer than I expected, but nothing serious.
    - Haven't had any problems with them. Site was very basic a year ago. Now it has a couple more features. Simple to use and submit meter readings.
    - Was easy to contact by email. Haven't tried to call them though.
    Summary: all good, no complains.

There a bit cheaper options around, but they seem to have either negative feedback or now feedback at all. Both are risks, while difference in cost is not that large. So I'm switching a tariff now as my previous contract ends, but still staying with them.
    • kerswell
    • By kerswell 9th Aug 17, 8:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kerswell
    First time I've gone away from a Big Six company
    Switch went very smoothly
    Have since moved to a cheaper Avro tariff, no fees involved
    That change again went well
    Seems to be an efficient and well run company
    Always in the cheapest group of suppliers
    • Hillbilly1
    • By Hillbilly1 10th Aug 17, 12:00 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Hillbilly1
    Just found my elec supply has been switched to Avro without consent. Started the process but they were so poor I stopped it. Which was confirmed.

Chasing stuff with BG and moving to another supplier and find they've not had our elec since March but 0 contact from Avro, no bills absolutely nothing.

Now on hold for 16 mins to speak to them and find out what's going on.

Not very impressed.
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
    • uncletomcob
    • By uncletomcob 10th Aug 17, 4:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    uncletomcob
    Joined Avro in March 17 & so far so good.
    No problems signing up & switch pretty much followed the expected time scale.
    They do take a payment up front, i.e before your contract start date, but it just goes into your account. I don't see a real problem with that.
    They also produce a monthly statement & ask that you supply meter readings near the end of the month. Its not essential but stops them estimating to far in advance.
    The statement is supposed to be available within 5 working days from the 1st of the month. I've had to prompt them a couple of times when it hasn't appeared after a couple of weeks but again it's not a real problem.
    I would certainly recommend them to anyone else.
    Last edited by uncletomcob; 10-08-2017 at 4:23 PM. Reason: Needed tidying up.
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 11th Aug 17, 2:26 PM
    • 15,702 Posts
    • 31,634 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Pity they only offer a good deal to new customers and over-estimate annual usage for comparison purposes. Found them very helpful otherwise, although slow to answer e-mails.

I am having to switch to get a better deal elsewhere.
    You do not gain an O when you lose. Loose means baggy/let go.
    • axlegrease
    • By axlegrease 12th Aug 17, 10:43 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    axlegrease
    Hassle free for the last year ....
    A year ago I had never heard of Avro, but it was the best deal on MSE. I am just coming up to a year with Avro I highly recommend them. Note: read their terms they will take the first direct debit before they start supplying, not a problem they are up front about this. Although a year on they are fractionally dearer than my current best buy I will go with them for another year as they have been so trouble free. (The alternatives seem to have a poor record / feedback). I have only ever contacted them by email, but their response has been quick and efficient. On renewal (and in their projected usage) they have me using far more than I do, apparently these figures come from their suppliers? The result was their offer included a direct debit figure that would be far too high, an email query reminding them of my actual usage was replied to the same day and they corrected the proposed direct debit to the my exact estimate with also agreed with the MSE energy club figure for me. Here's hoping for another year that is as good!
    Last edited by axlegrease; 12-08-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Extra info
    • mrangry99
    • By mrangry99 19th Aug 17, 4:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mrangry99
    A1 Service
    I joined Avro approx 4 months ago, the change over was very smooth & since then the service has been as good as any supplier.
    After about three months i was emailed by mse informing me that there was a cheaper tariff that Avro had just released.
    I then emailed Avro & told them i would like to transfer to the cheaper tariff, this was done all within a couple of days.
    Can not recommend this supplier enough
    Go for it!!
    • chelostar
    • By chelostar 21st Aug 17, 12:07 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    chelostar
    Pleased so far
    Switched on 14 August and smooth so far. Will not know for sure until the supply starts in September. Easy to contact Customer Service, which I tried out before I instigated the switch. This will be a saving of £511 per year from standard variable with EDF, although the reality remains to be seen. The only downside I can see is yet more work to do on line and self service, plus the call centre is not open evenings and week ends. There are emergency numbers on their website though.

Thank you MSE for this tip and all the tips. This month I have made several more savings and always check this site before making financial moves.
    • djf02
    • By djf02 29th Aug 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    djf02
    So Slow
    I changed to AVRO 4 months ago now and am still paying for my old account as they have failed to finalise my gas bill with the old supplier. Customer service is hopeless, they just say we are dealing with it. Meanwhile instead of saving money I am paying double
    • adehardy
    • By adehardy 31st Aug 17, 5:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    adehardy
    First D/D 10 days before Switch over, I THINK NOT
    I did the switch from EDF to AVRO. In my welcome pack it stated that my first direct debit was to be 10 days before my start date. I called customer services, wait time 25 minutes, who said it was their policy and it could not be changed. I cancelled the switch to Avro and have since gone to Bristol Energy.
    Just a thought.......... If your supplier wont answer the phone in a timely manner, try stopping your direct debit and recalling all the money you have ever paid them under the D/D guarantee. It's amazing how quick they will call you!
    • stevw
    • By stevw 31st Aug 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    stevw
    Bad experience. Decided to switch to Avro, then received Welcome Pack and discovered that they wanted to take a first payment 10 days before the supply was due to transfer over from current supplier. This would have meant having to pay two lots of energy costs to two different suppliers in the same month. Have not seen request for an advance payment from any supplier before when switching services. Sent email requesting for the first DD to be deferred for 8 days to match next salary payment. Waited two days - no reply. Called to enquire: waited >12 minutes to speak to an agent only to be told this as not possible. Told them I would would cancel the transfer and take my business elsewhere. Inflexible, could care less attitude. My account now appears to be locked, preventing me cancelling my energy transfer. Will not recommend Avro.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 1st Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    cranford
    I knew that AVRO were going to take a DD 10 days before supply starts, its not something they hide. But in my case lending them £100 at a cost to me of £1 per year compensated by the hundred or so pounds that I am saving each year on their tariff.
    • DaleHarries
    • By DaleHarries 2nd Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    DaleHarries
    Been with Avro for almost a year now. Only contact has been to change email address, which they did quickly and didn't need a phone call.

Online section is good, and they email you monthly to give your meter reading.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 5th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    RG2015
    Has anyone renewed with Avro for a second year and did it go smoothly?

I emailed them and they said they had renewed me at a direct debit £10 per month less than the MSE credit club estimate. I guess this is because I have built up a credit with them over the last year.

My concern is that my renewal date is 22nd September but I have not received a formal confirmation and my online profile has not been amended in any way.
    • abbey1539
    • By abbey1539 6th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    abbey1539
    I have just renewed with Avro for a further 12 months after noticing that their Simple and Value tariff was marginally cheaper than the Simple and Spring I had been on since March this year. Just emailed them and they made the change straightaway. I have had no problem with Avro and would certainly recommend them based on my experience, particularly as there are no exit fees making it easy to change if necessary.
    • buzzard
    • By buzzard 6th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    buzzard
    Switched to Avro after Ovo energy made such a mess of switching me to another tariff that I negotiated my way out. Ovo have harassed me ever since and I now have a complaint with the Ombudsman.

Avro took a long time to do the switch - about a month - and they dont send me meter reading reminders. I didnt get the first bill until I chased them.

Still they are considerably cheaper than Ovo and when I phoned about the lack of a bill very polite and sorted it quickly.

I think some of the people complaining dont understand the ridiculous procedure that ALL companies use when you switch that means they use estimates - and very daft ones - even if you have sent meter readings. Usually doesnt mean more than a couple of pounds difference but is very annoying.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 11,199 Posts
    • 14,718 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    They were the cheapest for me out of the ones I looked at on the Cheap Energy Club, so I've started a switch this evening from the British Gas MSE Collective Fix Oct 2017.

They're also based in Nuneaton, which is near to where I live.

I've already had the initial email inviting me to set up my password for my online account, which I'll do later.

More updates to follow

Edit to add: The welcome pack was attached as a PDF to the initial welcome email - I'm a moron for not noticing it earlier
    Last edited by MothballsWallet; 08-09-2017 at 8:00 PM. Reason: I did receive the welcome pack, I'm a moron :)
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • Clive x
    • By Clive x 8th Sep 17, 1:06 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Clive x
    Hello Peeps, New Boy Clive here in London. I've been with Avro a few weeks now, so far 10/10. One small point about phones, the 0330 "free" number when I googled, does not appear to be free (have told them), but there is a free 0800 contact number on their customer service reps emails. The number is 0800 680 0795. Have not needed to use it though,so far, as email communication has been excellent. Fingers crossed for the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,783Posts Today

6,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin