Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 10:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:18 PM.
Page 4
    • wiseonesomeofthetime
    • By wiseonesomeofthetime 21st Apr 17, 7:04 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    wiseonesomeofthetime
    Mixed emotions so far
    I have been with Avro for about six months now.

Switch was smooth.

Price was good. Cheaper than previous supplier.

Direct debit slightly lower than previously.

Switched DD date for me without fuss.

But big issue when asked them to take money from different bank account. Ended up missing a payment as Avro took it from old account despite cancelled DD and were not happy when I had it drawn back by the bank as breach of DD Guarantee.

Didn't give into their threat of fees for non payment, as it was their fault, Andy appear to be back on track again now after a double month payment.

See what next six months hold and then decide if the saving is worth the occasional issues.
    • alexonline
    • By alexonline 9th May 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alexonline
    A year with Avro and now over £200 in credit which is approx 6 months usage! Asked for them to refund it all but they refused, offering only £130 and a small reduction to our excessive monthly debits. My advice is steer well clear - this does not strike me as a company worth trusting.
    • Maxwell007
    • By Maxwell007 9th May 17, 12:13 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Maxwell007
    So why not just leave alex,
    are you in a fixed,
    are your DD very High,
    Y are they only offering to £130 !?!?
    • ScoobyZ
    • By ScoobyZ 9th May 17, 5:41 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    ScoobyZ
    Just switched here. Went smooth for me.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 9th May 17, 7:03 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    cranford
    refund
    I have been with AVRO over a year with no problems and at the end of the first year was in credit by the amount of the first DD they take in advance. Unlike other utilities I have been with this amount was not uses to reduce my payments in the second year That is why they will not refund all of your £200 credit. It looks like they will always keep one DD payment in their bank account and is the price you pay for being on a very competitive tariff.
    • Gussey
    • By Gussey 12th May 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Gussey
    Avro Energy & Economy &
    Changed to Avro Energy last month and have just realised that they have the same tariff for both the Day and Night meters.
    with SSE I was charged 15.25p/unit day and 7.3p/unit night I'm now charged 12.03p/unit for both.
    This was never pointed out when I made the change.
    I was just told I would save over£400 a year.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 12th May 17, 6:43 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    cranford
    Gussey did you not read the tariff details or use a switching site using the fact that you are on E7? Its not something they hide. I don't know what you use economy 7 for but my main use now is for immersion heater in the 7 hours and I give it a boost in day time. Also use the tumble dryer ( and washing machine) in waking hours in view of the reported hazards with tumble dryers.
    But if you are not happy then switching from AVRO is free.
    • RL1
    • By RL1 14th May 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    RL1
    All seems to have gone smoothly. When I switched I received an immediate welcome email and within a day I had an estimated switch date. A couple of days later a further email confirming that date (presumably after they had contacted my previous supplier). I had to give meter readings on the day of the switch of course, which I did. For safely I also logged in and entered the readings for my old supplier. The whole process took 3 weeks and the switch happened on the day.
    I have had the closing bills from my pld supplier and they have confirmed on what date they will be refunding my credit balance.
    Five stars!
    • quilting1965
    • By quilting1965 23rd May 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    quilting1965
    Not good so far
    I switch gas & electricity all the time. This is the worst switch by far. I had an e mail this morning from Avro asking for metre readings as the switch had gone "smoothly" but in my account it would only accept the gas reading - no mention of electricity at all. 50 minutes wait on hold with Avro to speak to someone who told me I shouldn't have put my gas reading in until it goes live. Even though the email asked for the reading I should have been clairvoyant enough to know they didn't need it yet. Pretty rude woman on the phone. Not impressed so far.
    • disney_cjd
    • By disney_cjd 24th May 17, 10:43 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    disney_cjd
    Not simple and screwed it up
    Dont bother with them. They havent switched my GAS only my electric and they take forever to answer the phone and email takes a week!

Pay cheap buy twice... Shouldn't not have bothered tbh

They also take a payment BEFORE you have even switch!
    Self confessed Florida expert with over 320 trips there!
    Co host of the Disneybrit and Eye on Orlando Podcasts
    and Craig Duncan Soul Show on Orlando Sky Radio

• footyguy
    • By footyguy 24th May 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    footyguy
    Pay cheap buy twice...
    Originally posted by disney_cjd
    That doesn't apply to a metered supply such as gas or electricity.
    There should be no circumstances where you pay for the same metered energy twice.

Pay cheap ... and enjoy the money saved

...They also take a payment BEFORE you have even switch!
    Originally posted by disney_cjd
    In line with the terms you agreed to?
    9.3.2 The Direct Debit will be taken 21 days after initial sign up and monthly thereafter.

6.1 We will begin the supply to you within 21 days of the day the cancellation period in clause 7 expires.

7.1 You may cancel the contract at any time within the 14 days following the date of your receipt of your Welcome Pack...
    https://www.avroenergy.co.uk/Terms.aspx
    Last edited by footyguy; 24-05-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    • AbbieCadabra
    • By AbbieCadabra 24th May 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    AbbieCadabra
    our switch for gas & electric completed 10.05.17, online account active & can enter both reads ok. clear info shown on when reads required, when bills will be raised & payments to be taken.

after a few switches over the years, it's one of the clearer online accounts I've used.

before our account was fully 'live' I sent them a message on facebook with a couple of queries & they answered almost immediately.
    • joanne122
    • By joanne122 24th May 17, 3:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    joanne122
    feedback
    Hi

Looking at changing supplier and Avro has come out best. Have you been pleased with the service so far?

thanks
    • dnpark38
    • By dnpark38 8th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    dnpark38
    Hundreds of £ in credit.
    Finished my first year on Fixed was best priced supplier by Martin Lewis have finished with nearly £300 in credit in fact have been well in credit all the year. Martin Lewis still had them as best for me so I agreed a further year on Fixed and they have increased DD payment.

I asked for my credit back a few weeks ago so far not received so have requested again today.

Whilst logged into my account and looking at their future estimated monthly used I'm concerned to see it far in excess of what I've used in the past year.

Are they like this with you others?
    • TheChoralFiend
    • By TheChoralFiend 23rd Jun 17, 5:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TheChoralFiend
    AVRO is a no-show for me. Went through the entire sign up process. Heard nothing. Emailed them only to be told that my 'Application has been cancelled' So if it's good customer service you're looking for i would look elsewhere.
    • mjyoung
    • By mjyoung 14th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mjyoung
    Cheap energy - no problems
    I have been with Avro since Jan 2016.

The move was smooth with no issues (unlike some of my previous moves).

I have been saving money all the time I have been with them.

I have never had need to contact them as there has never been an issue with my account.

Having had terrible experiences with other energy suppliers I am reluctant to leave Avro and will probably switch to their Fixed Rate which is now cheaper than my current Simple Energy variable rate.

Recommended supplier.
    • dnpark38
    • By dnpark38 14th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    dnpark38
    MJYoung
    Just like you to know I found Avro ok just like you have but be aware things may well change when you go Fixed with a set DD taking your money each month.
    I was in Credit at the first month and every month until at the end of the year when I was over £200 in credit they do not pay this back automatically. Only get it back if you ask, in fact I had to ask 3 times before it was put back into my bank account.
    I have started transfer proceedings to another supplier as I do not want the same messing about next year.

A thing I would like to find what would have happened if they had gone bust would I have lost my money in credit or is there consumer protection?
    • zaax
    • By zaax 16th Jul 17, 1:07 AM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    zaax
    Be careful with AVRO as there statement page seems to show your account in credit when its actully in debit
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • zaax
    • By zaax 16th Jul 17, 1:09 AM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    zaax
    Finished my first year on Fixed was best priced supplier by Martin Lewis have finished with nearly £300 in credit in fact have been well in credit all the year. Martin Lewis still had them as best for me so I agreed a further year on Fixed and they have increased DD payment.

I asked for my credit back a few weeks ago so far not received so have requested again today.

Whilst logged into my account and looking at their future estimated monthly used I'm concerned to see it far in excess of what I've used in the past year.

Are they like this with you others?
    Originally posted by dnpark38
    Their prices are doubling for next year so they maybe right.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • ScoobyZ
    • By ScoobyZ 16th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    ScoobyZ
    My switch went ok (early may), I enter meter readings every month but no statements yet.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

315Posts Today

2,925Users online

Martin's Twitter