Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 10:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:18 PM.
Page 10
    • badger09
    • By badger09 23rd Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    badger09
    My switch from EDF to Avro is supposed to take place on 30th November according to Avro. 1st DD was taken 20th October as expected. So far so good.

On Monday 20th November I received email from EDF 'We're sorry you've left for another supplier'. On 21st I received the same email again. I've heard nothing from Avro, but I didn't expect to.

Should I be concerned?
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 23rd Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    AVRO emailed me 2 days before my switch to confirm it was already "being processed" and that they will be supplying my energy from the switch date onward. There was a reminder to log in to the AVRO account and supply meter readings on the day of the switch.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 23rd Nov 17, 8:58 PM
    • 11,557 Posts
    • 15,152 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet's Avro Experience (Month 1)
    Okay, so to recap, I switched to Avro a little while ago and they took over my supply on the 7th October.

So far, so good - I provided readings to them on the 6th November, a day before their cut-off date of the 7th. Checked their website when the monthly statement was prepared and it showed that they'd estimated the readings for the 7th.

This is fine is because they're in the right ball park with my own calculations (I take readings on the first & last days of the month as well and track them on a spreadsheet, which also works out the daily usage numbers).

And I'm currently in credit by about £60, but I'm sure that will change when we get into winter and I've got the central heating on the timed settings
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    Even my PC is nicknamed "GIBBS".
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 24th Nov 17, 3:27 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    Update on my switch from BG to AVRO.

Still happy with the switch, 2nd DD taken on schedule by AVRO,
    ..... I was in credit on the gas by ~£40 and in debit on elec by ~£18 using these estimated final meter figures.
    ..... The ~£40 credit was paid the day after the email arrived (OK BG - well done) and, as yet, there is no sign of being billed the £18.......
    Originally posted by Bobblehat
    Final £18 debit now taken by BG ...... time for me to check if BG's estimated end meter figures are the same as AVRO's starting meter figures
    • Coastalwatch
    • By Coastalwatch 26th Nov 17, 4:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch switch to Avro.
    I signed up with Avro on Sunday 19th November for their 12 month fixed tariff, Simple and Super. Received a welcome pack that day and asking that I check/confirm both gas and electricity meter point numbers, which I did on the 21st. Received an acknowledgement and thanks two days later on the 23rd. Received an email from the existing supplier on 24th Nov saying they were sorry to see us go etc. Avro have given us notice that they will commence supplying our energy on 20th December understanding that our first DD will be on 10th. So all proceeding as expected to date. Will update again once switch is complete.
    Last edited by Coastalwatch; 26-11-2017 at 4:28 PM. Reason: Title added.
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 27th Nov 17, 10:09 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    Final £18 debit now taken by BG ...... time for me to check if BG's estimated end meter figures are the same as AVRO's starting meter figures
    AVRO confirm that the end meter figures used by BG are the same as the start meter figures used by AVRO. These are figures that are calculated by the 3rd party verification system that was explained in an earlier post and are slightly higher than my submitted meter readings. I'm happy with that as it saves a £1 or 2 given that my new AVRO tariff is slightly higher than the old heavily discounted BG tariff that we can no longer get!

Also happy with the fact that the AVRO CS rep said they do not alter the monthly DD according to any monthly submitted meter readings (unless they notice a vast discrepancy!) .... I was intending to submit quarterly readings as I have kept my usage figures from the last 3 years by quarter from my old BG account. I can do a quarterly check to see if I am using more or less than previous years and estimate if my monthly DD's will cover the charges. AVRO say ... no problem with quarterly readings.

All good so far
    • alexgreyhead
    • By alexgreyhead 27th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alexgreyhead
    Lucky escape - Avro cancelled my switch to them without telling me
    This is the 1-star review I just submitted to Trustpilot's site:

I think I've just had something of a lucky escape with Avro; I chose them from Money Saving Expert's Cheap Energy Club because of a slew of "positive" feedback and was told the switch would be completed mid-November. Two weeks later, I had heard nothing so I emailed, phoned and tweeted at them and finally got a response through twitter that they had cancelled my application to switch to them because I had missed some information when applying online; they claim they e-mailed me and because I didn't reply, they cancelled my application.

Apart from the fact that I haven't received this email from them, they have a policy of taking the first direct debit well in advance of your supply switching to them, and Trust Pilot and other review websites are filled with a slew of people who have had more money debited than necessary.

A significant proportion of these reviewers are saying they are unable to get their money back from Avro, easily or - in some cases I've seen on here - at all.

You are also in trouble if you want to speak to someone by phone, as the company's call centre is only in operation Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, and there are a few reports of frosty or unhelpful phone people, although I thankfully haven't had to go through that myself.

I'm currently with Sainsbury's Energy and, since their customer service has been excellent, I may well sign up for another year with them, even if I pay an extra £5 or so a month...

/Alex
    Last edited by alexgreyhead; 27-11-2017 at 2:48 PM. Reason: Clarifying that this is a cross-post from TP
    • badger09
    • By badger09 28th Nov 17, 4:10 PM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    badger09
    AVRO emailed me 2 days before my switch to confirm it was already "being processed" and that they will be supplying my energy from the switch date onward. There was a reminder to log in to the AVRO account and supply meter readings on the day of the switch.
    Thanks Bobblehat

My switch is due to happen on 30th. Today I received email from Avro:

"We are pleased to confirm that your switch went smoothly, and we will be supplying your energy from the 30/11/2017.

Please log into your myAvro account and submit an opening meter reading. If you have any queries then please do not hesitate to get in touch with us"

Seems to suggest they want my reading now?

I was going to submit readings tomorrow 29th, or early 30th to both Avro & EDF.

Any advice on when is best? Best=least hassle.
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 28th Nov 17, 10:45 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    Thanks Bobblehat

My switch is due to happen on 30th. Today I received email from Avro:

"We are pleased to confirm that your switch went smoothly, and we will be supplying your energy from the 30/11/2017.

Please log into your myAvro account and submit an opening meter reading. If you have any queries then please do not hesitate to get in touch with us"

Seems to suggest they want my reading now?

I was going to submit readings tomorrow 29th, or early 30th to both Avro & EDF.

Any advice on when is best? Best=least hassle.
    Originally posted by badger09
    I thought AVRO wanted my meter readings a day or two early too, I asked them and they said early on the switch day will do. I think you don't need to submit meter readings to the outgoing supplier .... but I guess it can't harm.

It seems a little irrelevant if they are going to use the 3rd party verified figures - but I'm not complaining if it saves a £1 or 2
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 28th Nov 17, 10:50 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    My experience with joining AVRO recently is almost the exact opposite of alexgreyhead's, in every category they have mentioned .....except I have had no reason to ask for any money back, so can't comment on that one.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 29th Nov 17, 10:25 AM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    badger09
    I thought AVRO wanted my meter readings a day or two early too, I asked them and they said early on the switch day will do. I think you don't need to submit meter readings to the outgoing supplier .... but I guess it can't harm.

It seems a little irrelevant if they are going to use the 3rd party verified figures - but I'm not complaining if it saves a £1 or 2
    Thanks again

I'll send the readings to both Avro & EDF later this afternoon.

I also intend to take photos of the readings, just in case there is any dispute later

I'll update thread when I have anything to report, but so far so good
    • jacquelineP
    • By jacquelineP 29th Nov 17, 5:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jacquelineP
    I am trying to change to Avro, but it's not turning out to be easy. I applied and received my welcome pack, which asks you to check all the details and contact them if anything is wrong. Everything was correct so I wasn't worried. Direct debit was taken on time. Next thing I know EDF, my previous supplier contacts me to say I owe them money for gas. It turns out Avro have transferred the electricity, but not the gas. When I contacted customer service at Avro (not easy when you're constantly 19th in the queue) the girl couldn't have cared less. Apparently it was a mix up and they will do it in December. If I'm not happy I should switch again, when the gas transfer is complete, otherwise "it will be complicated". My husband, who was listening in, couldn't believe how nonchalant. she was about the whole business. "It'll be sorted out in a couple of weeks" meanwhile I'm paying EDF for gas on the top tariff at the coldest time of the year!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 29th Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    badger09
    I am trying to change to Avro, but it's not turning out to be easy. I applied and received my welcome pack, which asks you to check all the details and contact them if anything is wrong. Everything was correct so I wasn't worried. Direct debit was taken on time. Next thing I know EDF, my previous supplier contacts me to say I owe them money for gas. It turns out Avro have transferred the electricity, but not the gas. When I contacted customer service at Avro (not easy when you're constantly 19th in the queue) the girl couldn't have cared less. Apparently it was a mix up and they will do it in December. If I'm not happy I should switch again, when the gas transfer is complete, otherwise "it will be complicated". My husband, who was listening in, couldn't believe how nonchalant. she was about the whole business. "It'll be sorted out in a couple of weeks" meanwhile I'm paying EDF for gas on the top tariff at the coldest time of the year!
    Originally posted by jacquelineP
    Oh dear, that doesn't sound good.

Did you get emails from EDF about both electricity & gas switches
    prior to the switch?

Did you send both electricity & gas meter readings to Avro when requested?

Did you check your EDF account around the time of the switch? My switch is supposed to happen tomorrow and today I have sent them my meter readings. My EDF accounts for electricity & gas both show 'Contract ended. Your contract with us has now ended and has been transferred to your new energy supplier'
    • slimjim2
    • By slimjim2 29th Nov 17, 11:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    slimjim2
    AVRO Switch - No problems
    Did my switch in Oct. All went smoothly. My only advice is to recognise the following:

Everything about the switching is done by email

Read their documents very carefully. It was very simple but they do need certain information at certain times. e.g meter readings

Check for mistakes on their doc e.g MPAN/meter serial numbers. They specifically ask you to check so if you don't you only have yourself to blame and make the switch harder.

They do send out meter reading reminders every month by email

I never had to test customer service by phone.

Best advice is Do it Right First Time and you'll never need to contact then other than give meter readings

I think if you follow their process and take the time to get it right, this has been dead easy and a love the simple nature of the website. No frills, just directs to what interaction you need (meter readings!)

Good luck!
    slimjim2
    • admars
    • By admars 30th Nov 17, 8:40 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    admars
    so Avro Customer service have been great, responsive, useful info, no problem there

British Gas customer service, terrible, kept on blaming Avro, random amounts of money going out of accoutn, so I contacted complaints team, who eventually have agreed their end, and have said they'll send me a cheque for a figure which dioesn't seem to match anything they've taken from my account, or my account has said is in credit So I've asked British Gas to send detailed rundown of how they got that figure, and pay money into my account, since although they conveniently cancelled the DD recently. they must still have my bank details
    • J_M_W
    • By J_M_W 1st Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    J_M_W
    Move to Avro from Npower
    After a year of fixed fees from Npower - decided to move on.

No good deals with the big 6 so decided to see how the smaller companies work.

So far:
    Had an online account setup
    received email with their terms and conditions
    1st DD to be collected on 22nd December (38GBP)
    actual switch date to be on 1st of January 2018

Will update with progress on a later date.
    • peterx
    • By peterx 2nd Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    peterx
    My switch to Avro as gone superbly.Full marks.
    • althamclaret
    • By althamclaret 3rd Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    althamclaret
    Slow refund
    I switched away from Avro in September 2017 but didnít receive my outstanding balance of over £300 until the end of November- very poor.
    • Danni64
    • By Danni64 4th Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Danni64
    I joined Avro in Feb 2017 through the energy club comparison site. The switch was easy and smooth with clear communication.
    It is easy to submit monthly meter readings (i just log in on my mobile) and you get emailed reminders.
    I actually moved to a new tariff in September after checking the comparison site. They still moved me even though the deadline was missed as they saw my email from the previous week asking about the tariff and if I could switch.
    I received an email saying they would send my query to the relevant department when I sent a chaser after a couple of days and they apologised as they were extremely busy.
    Avro also made a refund £200 back to my bank as I had built up a credit over the months - this was actioned immediately.
    I am happy with Avro and they always come up cheapest ( if you exclude the odd, unknown newcomer). The fact that there are no exit fees is good as you are always able to switch if you want to.
    Last edited by Danni64; 04-12-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    • sevenonine
    • By sevenonine 4th Dec 17, 2:01 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sevenonine
    Advice on switching to Avro
    I joined Avro in Feb 2017 through the energy club comparison site. The switch was easy and smooth with clear communication........
    I am happy with Avro and they always come up cheapest ( if you exclude the odd, unknown newcomer). The fact that there are no exit fees is good as you are always able to switch if you want to.
    Originally posted by Danni64
    You seem to be happy with Avro's service since joining them in Feb 17, so I thought I would run my problem on switching past you for your thoughts.

I only looked at Club Energy's website after I had agreed a 12 m fix with SOE, my current supplier, because their Standing Charge is enormous. (Avro's SC is a lot cheaper and so are their unit charges for gas and elec.) I fixed with SOE on 30 November 17 so I am still within the 14 days cooling-off.

What I would like to ask is whether I should send my details by email to Avro or phone them to ask whether they can switch me in time, which is limited as my contract with SOE ends on 4 Jan 2018.
    Last edited by sevenonine; 04-12-2017 at 2:36 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin