Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • n15h
    • By n15h 24th Nov 15, 9:34 PM
    • 103Posts
    • 5,388Thanks
    n15h
    Tumble Dryers Fire Risk - Hotpoint / Indesit / Creda
    • 24th Nov 15, 9:34 PM
    Tumble Dryers Fire Risk - Hotpoint / Indesit / Creda 24th Nov 15 at 9:34 PM
    Please see: Tumble Dryer Safety Notice

The Indesit company has identified a potential concern with two types of tumble dryers manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015. In some rare cases, excess fluff can come into contact with the heating element and present a risk of fire. The affected brands are:

Hotpoint
    Indesit
    Creda

Indesit state:

We are activating an extensive consumer outreach and service action plan in order to provide our consumers with products that are updated to higher safety and quality standards. We will arrange a visit from an engineer, free of charge, to modify your appliance. The service call will take approximately one hour. The improvements we believe are necessary will further enhance the safety and quality of your dryer.
    You can check if your model is affected via: Check Your Dryer

Be safe. Check if your model is affected!
    Last edited by n15h; 24-11-2015 at 9:38 PM.
    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared - Buddha
Page 6
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 23rd Feb 17, 6:47 AM
    • 10,999 Posts
    • 20,531 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Owners told NOT to use dangerous tumble dryers after all
    Millions of owners of potentially lethal tumble dryers have been warned not to use them until the machines have been repaired.

Tumble dryers sold under the Hotpoint, Creda and Indesit brands have been behind a series of fires.

Whirlpool, which owns the brands, had said they were all right to use, providing someone was in attendance.

But following advice from Trading Standards, the new guidance is not to use them until they are repaired.

A statement on the Whirlpool safety website says: "If your tumble dryer is affected by this issue, then you should unplug it and do not use it until the modification has taken place."

BBC News

Whirlpool - Safety Notice
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • minislim
    • By minislim 23rd Feb 17, 12:26 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    minislim
    i have a hotpoint washer dryer. which isnt effected by the problem.

however its broken down due to a faulty control board. its out of warranty but its only four years old. its like brand new still!

having had an engineer out and read on many forums apparently this is a common fault with them. the replacement part is over £100 and only hotpoint can do this work.

surely if this is the case shouldn't these be a recall too. apparently its not.

glad i didn't pay for it and only inherited it. but its a shame to just scrap it.
    • Sku11
    • By Sku11 1st Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Sku11
    Hotpoint fetv60cp(uk) effected model
    Only just heard about this despite 2 engineer repair visits since buying in December 2015. Filed webform and awaiting response!

Seems strange that despite my dealings with the supplier and manufacturer to have faults repaired, no one has mentioned whether a known fault has been carried out on my appliance.

Thanks Martin Lewis
    • iananderson27
    • By iananderson27 3rd Mar 17, 9:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    iananderson27
    Tumble Dryer Fiasco
    So they've written to me and told me not to use my dryer or it might burn the house down. They've offered a repair but no timescale or I can take up their "offer" of paying them another £59 or £99 for a dryer that actually works!! I need a dryer NOW!!
    Surely they should be obliged, legally, to replace this dangerous appliance with a new one immediately!!??
    Ian.
    • CyberneticianDave
    • By CyberneticianDave 3rd Mar 17, 12:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CyberneticianDave
    I agree. I'm fed up of them constantly trying to dodge their responsibilities by getting me to buy a new tumble dryer, which by all accounts is not as good as what it would be replacing.

I clean the fluff filter out every time, vacuum the area around the fluff filter every few weeks and never leave it on when we're out or asleep. I'll continue to run this machine until they repair it.

I registered my tumble dryer 1st December 2015, they said it would be repaired May 2016. It's now 2017 and still no new information from them, except scare tactics: "please give us money or your house will burn down".
    • Dirool
    • By Dirool 3rd Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dirool
    Hotpoint
    Hi
    In the belief that Hotpoint would NOT give me a refund I reluctantly agreed to a repair 3 weeks ago. I didn't agree to paying a further £99 to replace my 15 month old machine for an inferior model.
    I don't have any confidence in the repair which was carried out and have lost trust in Hotpoint.
    Do you think I could still demand a refund?
    Kind regards
    Dirool
    • murphy020979
    • By murphy020979 3rd Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    murphy020979
    Can someone please help?!

We had a faulty Hotpoint dryer and ordered our replacement dryer in February 2015 (at a cost of £99!). We received it on 15th March 2015. The dryer has now developed a fault. I contacted Hotpoint who have advised the warranty has ran out and we would be charged £120 for an engineer. Surely the warranty should be from date of delivery (when sale is completed) and not order date? Can anyone clarify before I rant at them yet again?! I have looked at Consumer Act 2015 and can't seem to find anything about warranty. Thanks in advance x
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 3rd Mar 17, 8:41 PM
    • 10,999 Posts
    • 20,531 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Can someone please help?!

We had a faulty Hotpoint dryer and ordered our replacement dryer in February 2015 (at a cost of £99!). We received it on 15th March 2015. The dryer has now developed a fault. I contacted Hotpoint who have advised the warranty has ran out and we would be charged £120 for an engineer. Surely the warranty should be from date of delivery (when sale is completed) and not order date? Can anyone clarify before I rant at them yet again?! I have looked at Consumer Act 2015 and can't seem to find anything about warranty. Thanks in advance x
    Originally posted by murphy020979
    You may be better off posting this on "The Consumer Rights Board"
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • SJ74
    • By SJ74 8th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SJ74
    My tumble dryer is one of the affected machine, which Hotpoint refused to replace. The £59 replacement offer did not fit in with my kitchen and, besides, I felt I shouldn't have to pay out again. (I've had the machine approx. 2 years, using it without any problem). However, SINCE the modification was made by their engineer, the machine started marking and burning clothes. The Hotpoint number supplied by their engineer is 'unavailable'. Since my local engineer was visiting to service my washing machine, I explained the problems I was having and he took the top of the dryer off; what he discovered was frightening. The modification had not been done correctly and the machine even more of a fire hazard. I was advised not to use the machine and to report it to Trading Standards and the Fire Service (attaching photos taken at the time). I have subsequently heard that Hotpoint has now stated that machines should not be used until the repair has been made. Since I'm a working mum with 2 kids, I can't be without a dryer for long and Hotpoint has been useless! I called my local engineer back a week later and had him make the necessary repair to make the machine safe for use. (It cost me £84, which I will now be looking to Hotpoint to reimburse). The engineers modifying the dryers are either lacking in experience or taking shortcuts. (I understand they are paid per machine modified, with Hotpoint stating that the modification should be made within a 30 min job slot, which my engineer has said is woefully inadequate).
    • Asimples
    • By Asimples 10th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Asimples
    We're fed up with the way Hotpoint are dealing with their problem machines.

Purchased near top of line dryer in 2010 from currys. It needed a new thermostat not long after which Hotpoint repaired.

We have refused the modification and are not willing to give them any more of our money for a newer machine which is not near top of line. It doesn't even look like our firerisk machine 🔥

Hotpoint customer support are digging their heels in so we have been left with no choice, we are pursuing a refund under section 75 sales of goods. It was faulty at point of sale so their contract with us is not valid.

Now the real shady thing here is they say we have a new machine in our home and the firerisk machine doesn't exist on their systems
    We spoke about the affected machine just a few days ago now they conveniently can't find it. The thermostat repair doesn't exist either.

They are shady liars. Avoid the whirlpool group products people. Vote with your wallets.
    • fredupwithhotpoint
    • By fredupwithhotpoint 24th Mar 17, 11:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fredupwithhotpoint
    I don't know if this information appears anywhere else on this site but there is a government petition
    concerning these tumble dryers. Search for petitions UK Government and Parliament
    Please visit and sign.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 25th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    • 9,316 Posts
    • 7,249 Thanks
    lincroft1710

Purchased near top of line dryer in 2010 from currys. It needed a new thermostat not long after which Hotpoint repaired.

Hotpoint customer support are digging their heels in so we have been left with no choice, we are pursuing a refund under section 75 sales of goods. It was faulty at point of sale so their contract with us is not valid.
    Originally posted by Asimples
    Good luck with that since you have had the machine 7 years!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 5th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 9,316 Posts
    • 7,249 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Rochelle, your post is confusing.

I would suggest you re-read it and edit it further, as there seems to be repetitive and unnecessary information. But more importantly you have not said what happened to the clothes in the dryer, whether it caught fire (flames) or was just smoking.

You say you had a repair to this dryer. When was this and what was this for?
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 05-06-2017 at 4:09 PM.
    • Rochelle
    • By Rochelle 5th Jun 17, 6:17 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Rochelle
    Rochelle, your post is confusing.

I would suggest you re-read it and edit it further, as there seems to be repetitive and unnecessary information. But more importantly you have not said what happened to the clothes in the dryer, whether it caught fire (flames) or was just smoking.

You say you had a repair to this dryer. When was this and what was this for?
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Hi sorry I take very high doses of morphine and diagnosed with short term memory loss. No the clothes did not get on fire but it started smoking and when my friend got in she obviously unplugged it and the clothes we're dry completely.
    The repairs I had were just minor repairs I think the last repair was over two years ago and I am sorry I can't tell you what was actually repaired. Would it help if I call Indesit tomorrow and get a list of dates and the work they did on it and get back to you with this info tomorrow.
    Sorry if it was confusing and I posted unnecessary info.
    Last edited by Rochelle; 05-06-2017 at 6:20 PM.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 5th Jun 17, 7:55 PM
    • 9,316 Posts
    • 7,249 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    No you don't need to phone Indesit. What is worrying is that you have noticed an overheated smell, yet have continued to use the dryer. As there was no damage to your clothes, there is no claim for compensation.

As the machine is 6 years old it was probably getting towards the end of its life, £59 for a new machine does not seem unreasonable. This seems to be the offer that is being made to all affected customers. If your machine had just failed due to age, a new one would cost a lot more than £59.
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 05-06-2017 at 8:00 PM.
    • Spike3128
    • By Spike3128 15th Jun 17, 1:11 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Spike3128
    My 12 year old tumble drier is also affected, but what a shockingly badly organised shambles Hotpoint have created. First engineer who came to me hadn't got the bits needed. Second one had the bits but not the tools to fit them. Third visit postponed because they couldn't then get the bits. Fourth one had the bits and the tools but isn't trained to do the mods, so they cancelled. Fifth visit booked for 2 days' time. One of the engineers told me over 3 million machines are affected and they've taken on thousands of engineers to do the mods, but can't keep up. As for Hotpoint charging people for replacements when the fault has caused deaths...they should replace for free and be prosecuted for manslaughter. I am disgusted. The tumble drier has never worked properly since it was a year old and I still pay for extended warranty to cover the 3+ visits a year. Warranty company have refused to write it off, despite promising to do so. Honestly, what a dreadful mess and it's the consumer paying for it...again.
    • Ben1941
    • By Ben1941 15th Jun 17, 1:44 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ben1941
    Hotpoint came and 'modified' my condensor drier a couple of months after this first became public knowledge.

I wasn't offered a replacement drier. My drier was bought in 2008/9, and since then I have used it about once or twice a month that's all. So although it's 9yrs old, it's not had the use that a family would have given it. So technically it's about 2yrs old use wise, if that makes sense.

After the repair, which was a couple of years ago now, the drier became very hot at the sides, you couldn't leave your hand on it or you'd burn. I hadn't complained again about it after the modification because I had 4 bereavements and the drier was the least of my concerns at the time.

So I rang Hotpoint again and they arranged for another engineer to come out and check the drier. That was about a month ago now.

When the second engineer came out, he removed the case of the drier and cleaned out the fluff that had gathered inside the machine but outside of the drum. Where I obviously wouldn't have been able to clean.

He commented on how clean the filters were, and I told him that I always cleaned them after each use and that I removed, stripped down and washed the condensor unit to remove any fluff inside that.

I asked him exactly what the 'modification' was when the first engineer called and he said "We put a small screw on the outside of the drum, so as it goes around it catches any fluff outside the drum."

And that's all they do.

He reassured me that the fact my drier now gets red hot on the sides has nothing to do with the modification and is quite normal. He didnt make anything of the fact it didn't get that hot before.

I'm even more nervous of using the drier now, as it still gets red hot on the side panels, yet Hotpoint have said it's been modified and as far as they're concerned it's now safe.

I beg to differ.

What are my rights in trying to get them to replace it with a safer model, I am even prepared to pay the discounted fee, I just want a drier that doesn't get red hot on the outside and I feel confident won't cremate me anytime soon.
    Last edited by Ben1941; 15-06-2017 at 1:46 PM.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 15th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 18,423 Posts
    • 15,296 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Hotpoint came and 'modified' my condensor drier a couple of months after this first became public knowledge.

I wasn't offered a replacement drier. My drier was bought in 2008/9, and since then I have used it about once or twice a month that's all. So although it's 9yrs old, it's not had the use that a family would have given it. So technically it's about 2yrs old use wise, if that makes sense.

After the repair, which was a couple of years ago now, the drier became very hot at the sides, you couldn't leave your hand on it or you'd burn. I hadn't complained again about it after the modification because I had 4 bereavements and the drier was the least of my concerns at the time.

So I rang Hotpoint again and they arranged for another engineer to come out and check the drier. That was about a month ago now.

When the second engineer came out, he removed the case of the drier and cleaned out the fluff that had gathered inside the machine but outside of the drum. Where I obviously wouldn't have been able to clean.

He commented on how clean the filters were, and I told him that I always cleaned them after each use and that I removed, stripped down and washed the condensor unit to remove any fluff inside that.

I asked him exactly what the 'modification' was when the first engineer called and he said "We put a small screw on the outside of the drum, so as it goes around it catches any fluff outside the drum."

And that's all they do.

He reassured me that the fact my drier now gets red hot on the sides has nothing to do with the modification and is quite normal. He didnt make anything of the fact it didn't get that hot before.

I'm even more nervous of using the drier now, as it still gets red hot on the side panels, yet Hotpoint have said it's been modified and as far as they're concerned it's now safe.

I beg to differ.

What are my rights in trying to get them to replace it with a safer model, I am even prepared to pay the discounted fee, I just want a drier that doesn't get red hot on the outside and I feel confident won't cremate me anytime soon.
    Originally posted by Ben1941
    As your dryer is now nine years old, I am sorry to say that you no longer have any rights to a remedy from the seller.

As the engineer has decided that it is perfectly safe, I suggest Whirlpool owe you nothing more.

If you no longer wish to use your nine year old dryer, perhaps for peace of mind it's time for you to buy a new one.
    • Pandora Box
    • By Pandora Box 20th Jun 17, 9:51 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Pandora Box
    I had one of the 'risky' ones, and after about 18 months of not fixing it, they offered me a new one for £99, which I accepted (condenser).

I don't think the replacement one was actually faulty, but it was pretty hopeless - inefficient, noisy and too ages to dry things.

After 6 months, I gave up. Dumped that one and went out and bought a Bush condenser dryer.

Great tumble dryer, but a shame, because prior to this I was a Hotpoint fan and bought a lot of their goods.

Their customer service with all this has been appalling - makers should immediately replace items they know are at risk of catching fire.

Hopefully, after that tower block fire last week (thought to be have been caused by a faulty fridge, although not a Hotpoint, ) there will be some meaningful legislation bought out about replacing goods with a risky manufacturing fault.
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 20th Jun 17, 1:55 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    TLDR.....wasn't it the case that the units were all fine it was just the muppet owners who didn't empty the lint/fluff filters that led to the problems???
    I might be wrong....and therefore feel free to correct me [preferably with a link...]
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,760Posts Today

8,913Users online

Martin's Twitter