Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • n15h
    • By n15h 24th Nov 15, 9:34 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 5,387Thanks
    n15h
    Tumble Dryers Fire Risk - Hotpoint / Indesit / Creda
    • 24th Nov 15, 9:34 PM
    Tumble Dryers Fire Risk - Hotpoint / Indesit / Creda 24th Nov 15 at 9:34 PM
    Please see: Tumble Dryer Safety Notice

The Indesit company has identified a potential concern with two types of tumble dryers manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015. In some rare cases, excess fluff can come into contact with the heating element and present a risk of fire. The affected brands are:

Hotpoint
    Indesit
    Creda

Indesit state:

We are activating an extensive consumer outreach and service action plan in order to provide our consumers with products that are updated to higher safety and quality standards. We will arrange a visit from an engineer, free of charge, to modify your appliance. The service call will take approximately one hour. The improvements we believe are necessary will further enhance the safety and quality of your dryer.
    You can check if your model is affected via: Check Your Dryer

Be safe. Check if your model is affected!
    Last edited by n15h; 24-11-2015 at 9:38 PM.
    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared - Buddha
Page 5
    • AJXX
    • By AJXX 20th Mar 16, 12:31 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    AJXX
    How do you get the offer of a cheap replacement?

Our tumble dryer is from 2012, I'd be happy to go for a cheap replacement.

I've just got a confirmation email, acknowledging registration, but there's no offer of a replacement, just a statement that they'll be in touch within 10 weeks ..

Thanks
    Originally posted by postmanc
    I think it's part of the 2nd email (after the 10 weeks) which gives a link to a replacement machine and an estimated repair month.

Although, if you just send them a letter now stating you'd like to be offered a replacement machine they'll probably sort it out for you now.
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 20th Mar 16, 2:52 PM
    • 2,682 Posts
    • 4,109 Thanks
    Beckyy
    I registered for a repair on 23rd November, just relogged in to check the status of my repair and it said to expect it in March 2016, I've have no contact to arrange this and with it coming towards the end of the month I'm assuming it's not going to happen.

I don't want to pay for a replacement, even more so when it's a different colour to my machine.

I'm just away to send an email to them...
    • deanos
    • By deanos 22nd Mar 16, 4:09 PM
    • 10,663 Posts
    • 5,479 Thanks
    deanos
    There was a tumble dryer fire on my estate early this morning, the pet cat died house in a right state, luckily no body injured, fire brigade not said what make it was
    • lozthomas
    • By lozthomas 23rd Mar 16, 2:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lozthomas
    I just followed the advice in today's newsletter - sent an email to Hotpoint saying I wasn't happy with the wait time, and someone just called me THREE HOURS LATER to offer me a like-for-like replacement (actually a slightly better model) which will be delivered in 2 weeks. Good effort on Customer Service, Hotpoint! And thank you MSE!!!
    • *zippy*
    • By *zippy* 23rd Mar 16, 6:47 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 8,622 Thanks
    *zippy*
    I registered for a repair on 23rd November, just relogged in to check the status of my repair and it said to expect it in March 2016, I've have no contact to arrange this and with it coming towards the end of the month I'm assuming it's not going to happen.

I don't want to pay for a replacement, even more so when it's a different colour to my machine.

I'm just away to send an email to them...
    Originally posted by Beckyy
    I was estimated March too, but hadn't heard anything so called this week and they booked it in for the beginning of April.
    • stokesley
    • By stokesley 23rd Mar 16, 9:33 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    stokesley
    I was estimated March too, but hadn't heard anything so called this week and they booked it in for the beginning of April.
    Originally posted by *zippy*

I was estimated February; that came and went with not a word. They then changed it on the email link to March so waited patiently until today, when it dawned upon me that not much was going to happen over Easter, after which March was just above over.

My patience is beginning to run out.
    • liam8282
    • By liam8282 13th Apr 16, 4:49 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    liam8282
    I have run into difficulty getting my dryer repaired.

I originally registered for the modifications Nov 15.

The repair date has then changed and been extended each month, until this month, where the repair date has been removed.

I then got in touch via Twitter. At this point the repair has been booked, booked for the wrong machine by Hotpoint, cancelled by Hotpoint and now I am struggling to re book.

Worryingly, I have been getting error codes F07 and F14, which both appear to be codes relating to the heater element. What I would like to know is, are these error codes relating to the modification?

• abacab
    • By abacab 13th Apr 16, 6:30 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    abacab
    We registered when the story first hit the news on 23/11/15.
    We had repairs estimated for Jan,Feb,March,and then upon logging in I found it suddenly jumped to MARCH 2017!
    So I phoned.Got through straight away surprisingly,but the young man I spoke to was as much use as a chocolate fireguard (needed incase the machine combusted)
    Couldnt change the repair date and tried to insist it was still first come first served.
    Not good enough.
    So I badgered them on FB messenger and a free replacement is on the way
    • Mealyn
    • By Mealyn 29th Apr 16, 3:01 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mealyn
    An update on my experience with the Hotpoint dryer fiasco.

Unlike many who have had problems with their dryer I have not. My dryer has worked for the past 8 years without any disfunction. I did keep the fluff filter clean and the condenser unit. Because of the age of the dryer I thought the £99.0 offer was a good bargain but when i saw the size specs realized it would over hang the shelf it sits on above the washing machine. I emailed hotpoint twice requesting if i could purchase a different model and got a standard reply that it had been given to the attention of someone or the other. Didn't get a response back about the purchase of a new machine so let it go because the machine I have works fine. Then about the middle of April I received a call from hotpoint to arrange the modification. I didn't want it done and asked if I had to. They felt obliged to have it done. Anyway I also spoke about the query I had made in two emails and the very nice lady who was dealing with this said she would pass this on to the escalation team. After hanging up, 5 mins later I had a call from this escalation team to offer me a like for like new replacement dryer free of charge. I accepted this offer and over the moon as I like the model I have and having a brand new one is a bonus. It arrived a few days later. And they took my old one away saving me a trip to the tip. I know from other comments that there have been difficulties but Hotpoint have dealt very fairly with me.
    • terrymechan
    • By terrymechan 1st May 16, 5:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    terrymechan
    Get a refund for your faulty tumble dryer
    Anyone who has been told by Hotpoint, Indesit , Creda or Whirlpool that their tumble dryer has to be repaired because it might catch fire can get their money back as long as you bought it with with a credit card

I did 10 months after buying it on the grounds that the product was not-fit for purpose
    Just send a copy of the notice that yours is one of the one affected in with your request to your credit card company for a refund

Don't bother to wait six months or more for a repair, get your money back now and buy a new one elsewhere

Hit these manufacturers in the pocket with a charge back
    • Alice Walker
    • By Alice Walker 1st May 16, 5:52 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    Alice Walker
    Anyone who has been told by Hotpoint, Indesit , Creda or Whirlpool that their tumble dryer has to be repaired because it might catch fire can get their money back as long as you bought it with with a credit card

I did 10 months after buying it on the grounds that the product was not-fit for purpose
    Just send a copy of the notice that yours is one of the one affected in with your request to your credit card company for a refund

Don't bother to wait six months or more for a repair, get your money back now and buy a new one elsewhere

Hit these manufacturers in the pocket with a charge back
    Originally posted by terrymechan
    A chargeback would be against the retailer, not the manufacturer, and is not guaranteed.
    • amat_endura
    • By amat_endura 11th May 16, 8:50 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    amat_endura
    No much luck
    I registered in November and got a repair date estimate of April. I checked the link yesterday and it showed no month at all, so this morning I rang 0800 151 0905 and got a very quiet and shy sounding woman who gave no explanation for why the date had been removed and instead gave me another number to ring to book the repair (03448 224224). I tried explaining that making me wait more on top of 6 months was not acceptable, and tried to negotiate a free replacement. All I got was the response that these machines are safe, they just want to make them safer! Then the usual advice, clean the filter and don't leave unattended.

I don't think it helps that there isn't much cross talk between Hotpoint, Whirlpool and Indesit. I'll keep trying and may have a pop with Resolver. When people use the Whirlpool enquiry form which options do they chose from the drop downs?
    • Ellemay
    • By Ellemay 19th May 16, 3:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ellemay
    I paid £99 for a replacement condenser Dryer. It was delivered yesterday but I found out today it is not the model I ordered. I phoned Hotpoint and they said they could change it but it would cost me £50 for a re-stocking fee. He quoted their T&C's state they can supply a similar product. I have found very few reviews of this machine and they have not been favourable. I ordered TDWSF83BEZ. I got TDWSF83EPZ(UK). Can I insist on the machine I paid for or are they within their rights?
    • amat_endura
    • By amat_endura 20th May 16, 8:29 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    amat_endura
    Repair done
    After posting on the forum I used the contact form on the website and just put it through as a general enquiry. By the end of the day I'd had a phone call and made a repair appointment for the next week. This was carried out Wednesday with the only hitch being that I was supposed to be contacted when the repair tech was on their way, which didn't happen.

All sorted now, would have been nice to blag a new dryer but that wasn't to be.
    • happytom
    • By happytom 10th Oct 16, 12:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    happytom
    hot point refuse to help with my dryer
    after waiting months for engineer ,they eventually came and on watching him in my kitchen I said just what are you doing to make safe my machine he replied to be honest nothing the back i take of is the same as the one i will put on this is what we do take it up with them .i was gob smacked all this time waiting the trips to wash house plus extra costs for him to say that i said i have no faith in the machine and don,t want it he said tell them , when i phoned up on one off those live chats because they don,t answer phone they said to me you are no longer are concern you have been removed from our lists , what kind of company runs like this ? they should give every one their money back and should be very embarrassed for putting peoples lives in danger it is truly disgusting how they have treated me and i want people to know that telling people to wait for engineer is a scam a lie so beware ,i will tell watchdog my mp and every site i can find and with your help we can stop there tricks thank-you
    • New Body
    • By New Body 10th Oct 16, 1:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    New Body
    Just been on Live Chat with the company for couple of hours. Not prepared to offer a free replacement if machine older than 12 months. What was of real concern however was that the company can not guarantee that the repair will remove the risk of fire. I asked very direct and simple questions: does the repair remove any risk? Is it 100% guaranteed? Got non committal answers. People who have had the repair still have a potentially dangerous machine in their houses.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 10th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    • 8,693 Posts
    • 9,755 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I asked very direct and simple questions: does the repair remove any risk? Is it 100% guaranteed? Got non committal answers. People who have had the repair still have a potentially dangerous machine in their houses.
    Originally posted by New Body

It's totally impossible to have any electrical item that is totally risk free and guaranteed not to catch fire so it's extremely unlikely that any retailer or manufacturer would ever make this claim.
    All they can do is to repair or replace the suspect item and therefore reduce the risk to an acceptable level.
    • jsbach
    • By jsbach 5th Nov 16, 11:01 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jsbach
    What action?
    Indesit say it is safe to use a tumble drier so long as you do not go out or go to bed when it is on. What they do not tell us is what to do if there IS a problem.

In the unlikely event I decide to sit reading a book for an hour whilst my washing is drying and, during that time, a fault develops, presumably the first I will notice is a smell or some smoke. Is it then, the advice to turn off the machine (which I would) or to use a electrical fire extinguisher OR to get out of the house and dial 999.

Presumably there must be some advantage in not going out or to be whilst the machine is on.

Incidentally, when I checked my machine online a few months ago it was said to be OK. When I had a letter from Indesit last week saying I still had not registered my machine, I rechecked the number and - lo and behold - it is now an affected one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

4,252Users online

Martin's Twitter