Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spitthedog
    • By spitthedog 24th Nov 15, 3:55 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 7Thanks
    spitthedog
    Anadin Extra pain relief
    • 24th Nov 15, 3:55 PM
    Anadin Extra pain relief 24th Nov 15 at 3:55 PM
    Hi everyone,

This is regarding generic medicine/supermarket own brand equivalents

Recently I have unable to buy Anadin extra pain relief caplet equivalents that were sold at Asda, Tesco and Wilko for about 50p per pack.

Does anyone have any idea if they have been discontinued? I relied on these tablets as they were the only thing that would help with migraines. I'm hoping they haven't been discontinued permanently
Page 1
    • dk2401
    • By dk2401 24th Nov 15, 9:15 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    dk2401
    • 24th Nov 15, 9:15 PM
    • 24th Nov 15, 9:15 PM
    These combination analgesic products have been discontinued I'm afraid, and it's the same story in the US apparently.
    No one seems to know why though...?
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 24th Nov 15, 10:15 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    smudge56
    • 24th Nov 15, 10:15 PM
    • 24th Nov 15, 10:15 PM
    2 aspirin and 1 paracetamol does the same thing (without the added caffeine)
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 24th Nov 15, 10:32 PM
    • 6,862 Posts
    • 7,048 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 24th Nov 15, 10:32 PM
    • 24th Nov 15, 10:32 PM
    own-brand aspirin, own-brand paracetamol, and drink a mug of coffee. The fact that it's not in one swallow shouldn't make a difference.

(Always read the label, etc.)
    Wins and Freebies: τøøτhραṡτε, τεα-τøώεl
    • Nile
    • By Nile 24th Nov 15, 10:36 PM
    • 14,067 Posts
    • 13,937 Thanks
    Nile
    • 24th Nov 15, 10:36 PM
    • 24th Nov 15, 10:36 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Health & Beauty’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • Shovel Lad
    • By Shovel Lad 24th Nov 15, 11:10 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    Shovel Lad
    • 24th Nov 15, 11:10 PM
    • 24th Nov 15, 11:10 PM
    Do you mean tablets with aspirin/paracetamol/caffeine?
    I couldn't find any in the shops for a few weeks but they seem to be back. Wilko are showing them on their website:

http://www.wilko.com/pain-relief/wilko-extra-power-pain-control-tablets-x-16/invt/0220216

I got some from Morrison's a few weeks ago after not being able to find any anywhere for a while (think they cost 55p a packet) but I can't find them on their website today.

They are more expensive as you know but Asda have Anadin caplets (same active ingredients) on their website.
    Sainsburys
    Tesco
    The first thing to do when you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging.
    Lad
    Pronunciation: /læd/
    Forms:ME–15 ladde, 15–17 Sc. lawd, 16 ladd, ME– lad.
    Etymology:Middle English ladde, of obscure origin
    c. A stable-groom of any age; also, a female one.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 25th Nov 15, 3:51 AM
    • 12,016 Posts
    • 11,406 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 25th Nov 15, 3:51 AM
    • 25th Nov 15, 3:51 AM
    OP you can get the tablets in separate parts as others have suggested, or if your concerned about getting it right, try taking the box to a pharmacist and asking if they have anything the same they can give you and they'll sort it for you.
    • spitthedog
    • By spitthedog 25th Nov 15, 6:58 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    spitthedog
    • 25th Nov 15, 6:58 AM
    • 25th Nov 15, 6:58 AM
    Thanks, I'll keep my eye out if they re-appear otherwise I will try your suggestions
    • spitthedog
    • By spitthedog 25th Nov 15, 7:08 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    spitthedog
    • 25th Nov 15, 7:08 AM
    • 25th Nov 15, 7:08 AM
    Do you mean tablets with aspirin/paracetamol/caffeine?
    I couldn't find any in the shops for a few weeks but they seem to be back. Wilko are showing them on their website: [Link removed due to new user restrictions]

I got some from Morrison's a few weeks ago after not being able to find any anywhere for a while (think they cost 55p a packet) but I can't find them on their website today.

They are more expensive as you know but Asda have [Link removed due to new user restrictions]
    Originally posted by Shovel Lad

Yes it's these, they consist of

Paracetamol 200mg
    Asprin 300mg
    Caffeine, 45mg

A winning combination
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 25th Nov 15, 2:04 PM
    • 12,016 Posts
    • 11,406 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Yes it's these, they consist of

Paracetamol 200mg
    Asprin 300mg
    Caffeine, 45mg

A winning combination
    Originally posted by spitthedog

BTW, that's the sort of caffeine you'd find in a can of Pepsi Max (I think normal Pepsi or Coke-a-Cola, Diet Coke has around 30mg and so a 500ml bottle of either would also be around the 45mg mark. Coffee has anywhere from 50mg to 250mg per cup depending on how it's made and how much you have).
    If you then took the paracetamol and asprin pills with the can you'd be taking the same meds but just slightly differently.
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 25th Nov 15, 7:04 PM
    • 4,563 Posts
    • 12,367 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    I buy paracetamol with caffeine, which is still available everywhere, and I buy 300mg soluble aspirin as well.

Works well if you don't drink coffee or cola etc.
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • asajj
    • By asajj 26th Nov 15, 12:29 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 8,098 Thanks
    asajj
    I have seen these in Lloyds pharmacy today. However not 50p a pack but perhaps you can check online?
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

321Posts Today

1,130Users online

Martin's Twitter