Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Megano
    • By Megano 22nd Nov 15, 10:28 PM
    • 161Posts
    • 563Thanks
    Megano
    Time to grow up.
    • 22nd Nov 15, 10:28 PM
    Time to grow up. 22nd Nov 15 at 10:28 PM
    So after stalking, I mean reading most of the diaries on the forum. I thought it was time I took the plunge and stood up and said 'Hi my name is XXX and I have debt.'
    I could say my debt started when my dad passed away suddenly but personally I think it was a case of 'oh I want that. Let's pop it in the debit card and increase the overdraft limit.'
    I guess my LBM was last week when I was running late for a hospital appointment, had no money in the bank to get a cab (the bus I needed was once every hour' so I had to phone the bank of mum and beg (this was 3 days I borrowed money of the bank of mum for a friends wedding.)
    I'm turning 30 in a 6 short weeks so I've decided it's time to become an adult and get a grip.
    So here's my figures.
    2400 to TSB courtesy of an overdraft (currently only paying interest)
    800 to capital one and 500 to HMRC (took them 5 years to tell me I had been overpaid in tax credits.)
    I've followed all the advice on the site and according to whatsthecost.com I'll be debt free in 7 months (capital one and OD only) as with cutting back I SHOULD be able to pay £500 a month starting Januray (Great time to become an adult when Christmas is around the corner!)
    Just a little background.
    I live with the boy and the doctor in a two bedroom flat. No kids apart from O (who's my little fluffy princess)
    I have two jobs a full time one (finding out if I got made permanent on the 5th of December) and a part time one.
    SOA to follow. It's a little complex as the boy also has his own debt he's dealing with so we literally 3rd everything.

I've had a look at the other pages and signed up for all the free lotterys (it breaks my heart on a daily basis when I don't win) volunteering for overtime (8.15 hours in the space of two days) and selling stuff on facebay and gumtree (I know eBay is great but I've never learnt how to use it!)

So I guess that's me! Looking forward for my debts to go down and my savings to go up! Who knows maybe this adult thing won't be so bad
Page 13
    • Megano
    • By Megano 8th Sep 16, 9:13 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Megano
    That lasted long....
    A few weeks ago I sent old W4 (doctor surgery) a message saying I'm sorry for messing him around and if another opportunity came up to give me a shout - well it turns out he still needs someone to do the 6 hours a week doctor surgery and I was like yeah of course. Let's do it!
    Regarding OW3 (old work 3) I just realised I was the "the booty" from the "booty call" when the area manager texted me I jumped (okay maybe I didnt jump as i had to be up at 4.30 am) and headed to work. So I texted her and was like I can't do this my hours had changed at W1 (lie plus i missed out the screw you part) she was like yeah fine okay. A couple of days later I had the break up regret and texted her back like take me back! I can change! She blanked me and Im like OUCH
    Now I'm not saying Im whiter than white in this situation - I understand I left suddenly but the last time I was there they were seriously understaffed so its like cutting her nose off to spite her face?
    I was telling a work mate at W1 about the OW3 situation and the cleaner overheard me and said she would pass on my details to her manager as they are looking to expand

In terms of the bread and butter job W1 the new role is going good - I'm still waiting on some changed to be made to my work profile so right now its kinda "watch and learn" which is a little annoying but i'll live - there seems to be a strange amount off office tension and a lot of whispers about upper management which I'm not really understanding but then again I have only been there 3 days so maybe its too soon to get involved.

The landlord has finally agreed we can replace the bed (thank you Jesus!) now we have told him there is no way, shape or form we are spending £500 on a bed so he agreed we could replace it with a bed of similar quality?!?! (I swear i seen the exact same bed in b+m which is like the one we broke for £70. I honestly think he's talking rubbish in terms of how much he spent! He then turns around and says "your bed was a king size bed!" forgive me if a double bed mattress can fit perfectly in it Im going to take a wild stab in the dark and say its a double mattress.
    In terms of the sofa he says he has got a solution which means he's giving us his old one (since he said so on Facebook - I knew us adding each other would be a bad idea)
    Originally it was a case of he was going to buy one on gumtree. We were to pay for it, get it to the flat and get rid of the old ones and then reduce the 1/2 cost of it the following months rent and I was like err no why don't YOU go buy it (since after all its your flat) YOU can arrange to get it here and I'll give you the difference extra next month - he's an alright guy but i think providing the rent is getting paid he's reclucant to do anything. After the leak and the moving of the radiator we said the place would need to get redecorated (it hasn't been done in 3 years) and he said he couldn't afford it - yet on the same day he went and bought 10 tons of chips to do his driveway? Like we got a quote for someone to do the whole flat for £550 and he's like no. For god sake even if I got someone to do it surely he would still need to pay materials?
    MBNA £39.24/£331.94 (int until Jul 17) TSB CC £50/£677 (int free until Jun 18) BC £50/£1011 (int free until Feb 18) TSB Loan £517.49/£2500 (29.8%) BOM £120/£620 C1 £52.08/£311.66
    Total £858.82/£5451.60 =15.74%
    • Megano
    • By Megano 29th Sep 16, 8:48 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Megano
    Kinda went off the map there
    WOW I really went off the map for a while there didn't I?
    - I have the most stupidest british problem ever that only i could get myself into!
    So like all offices W1 has a cleaning firm that goes in the morning and makes everything lovely - so at the start of the month I asked one of the cleaners if they were looking for people and she is like "yeah but its 6 - 8.30 in the morning" and Im like damn every 3 weeks I start at work at 8 - no can do!
    Then the women comes up and gives me a form and she's like fill this in and Im like but I start work at 8! and she's like don't you worry about that and then gives me a wink. I think I've managed to land myself a 4th job and OH is kinda upset.
    - I thought the overtime at W1 was unlimited and always flowing like the rain - turns out I'm a beast in the department and now we've managed to catch up with all the work so overtime is going to be like rain in the desert - not very often and rare.
    -My bike got stolen at work and honestly I'm gutted - its kinda my fault as I never locked it as it was stored in an underground car park.
    -Done the barclaycard balance transfer so its goodbye capital one credit card! In terms of bad debt I just have the bank of mum and HMRC. I get that I have other cards but they are all 0% for a while so I'll be able to get them all cleared before the promotions run out.
    MBNA £39.24/£331.94 (int until Jul 17) TSB CC £50/£677 (int free until Jun 18) BC £50/£1011 (int free until Feb 18) TSB Loan £517.49/£2500 (29.8%) BOM £120/£620 C1 £52.08/£311.66
    • Megano
    • By Megano 5th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Megano
    Weirdest thing in the world happened - so my bike got stolen from work and when the security guard said he was going to check the CCTV it showed up the very next day in even better condition that what I left it.
    I needed to get a new helmet, lock and bike lights so the bank card still took a bit of a pounding but yeah I think Im the only person who's bike would get stolen and returned!
    • Willowpop
    • By Willowpop 9th Oct 16, 4:54 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Willowpop
    How very peculiar with the bike! Great that you got it back though.
    Hope everything else is going well. 😀
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
    Now to start saving...it's a whole new world!!
    • Willowpop
    • By Willowpop 23rd Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Willowpop
    Megano!
    How are things? Hope all is ok.
    • Megano
    • By Megano 1st Nov 16, 8:16 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Megano
    Lets start off with some good news and then we can get back to reality.

- BIL is doing so well. I would love to say he's like a totally different person but Im afraid this isn't a fairy tale, he's doing what he needs to do for FLP and as a result he now has him 3 nights a week. Which is massive! If you remember just less than a year ago he wasnt allowed anywhere near FLP and could only see him at a contact centre and now he's getting to do all the dad things like taking him to nursery and stuff. There is still a massive way to go and in a way I think OH and I will always be ready to jump in if SS decide BIL has messed up but its not doing either of us any good shinning a spotlight on BIL all the time.
    - Goodbye HMRC! I would love to say its been fun but it hasn't - honestly HMRC its not me its you but thankfully they took the last payment today to they are scored off the list.

Now to the bad.
    - The new job at W1 isn't going as well as what I thought it would. Nothing to do with the job but all the folk in the office seem to do is moan moan moan "oh my god look at what this guy has done!" "Oh look what sales did this time" "oh my god we have targets" and it just seems to be a slightly draining atmosphere. Now I'll openly admit Im really enthusiastic to the point where it annoys even me and as a result I think it rubs people up the wrong way. It's really too long and hard to explain basically its a case of go in, head down and do the work.
    - So I may totally have went capital 1 crazy again and pretty much ran up to my limit. Now in my defense there was things I needed like new trainers for the Beast but mostly it was just splurging with nothing really to show for it (dont even get me started on taxis and the canteen spend)
    I know I can go frugal again and clear this debt after all how many times have I done it before? Im kinda just sick of being on this merry go round but its a new month. Im one debt down all the rest is interest free (apart from capital one but it will be when I do the CC shuffle)
    lets just bite down and get on with it again

I still have the application for W4 on my table Ive wrote down the pros and cons but neither swung it
    pros - more money (apparently if I stop splurging)
    cons - early rises
    • Megano
    • By Megano 2nd Nov 16, 11:03 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Megano
    More like a side step than a shuffle
    So I tried to do the credit card shuffle to clear off the purchases on the barclaycard and the capital one card and everyone said "thanks but no thanks"
    So Ive spoken to the bank and they agreed to give me a loan of £2500 (after I got it I realised I didn't need as much)
    If I take the full 15 months (which it won't) the total repayable will be £2962.35 - the good news about a TSB loan is they literally don't charge you a early termination fee if you clear it off sooner, plus you can make extra payments (and we all know how much I love extra payments)
    • Megano
    • By Megano 9th Nov 16, 7:32 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Megano
    Nothing really new to report guys - just a case of working working working working (whats new there then?)
    I don't know why but recently Ive been getting really annoyed with W3 honestly I just can't be bothered doing it - I know its only 6 hours a week which isn't that much and its not the job itself its the getting there. At W1 every 3 weeks I finish at 8pm now because I can't drive I need to rely on public transport so by the time I get there its like 8.45 (even though its like a 15 minute journey) and thats before I even start! I guess I need to remember that its only every 3 weeks, but then again Im only earning £150 per month (and Im not to say thats someone to shrug off)
    I dunno I guess I just need to ride it out at least until the BOM is cleared and then I can review it
    • Megano
    • By Megano 14th Nov 16, 10:12 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Megano
    So plan D seems to be better than plan A
    I've went back over all my bank statements and the amount Ive wasted on taxis and splurging in the work canteen is eye watering.
    We've been here before so Im going to give myself a shake and get back to grip with the old purse strings.
    Ive had some interesting news - my aunt who passed away has left me an inheritance of around £900 now Ive spoken to OH, my mum, the postman, the neighbours cat and we've all agreed it would be best to use the money for the Florida fund (now to make sure I don't go on a spending spree Im giving the money to my mum to keep a hold of)
    I've also checked my reward statement for shop and scan and Ive earned £52 in vouchers so Im using the vouchers to get my cousins family a cinema voucher so thats one present off the list.
    Ive also got £75 from TCB (lord I love that site) I'm going to put £50 into the Florida fund and the rest is going either on the MBNA card or the loan.
    I've kinda accepted Im not going to be debt free this year but thats okay 2017 sounds better anyway
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Nov 16, 10:56 AM
    • 6,318 Posts
    • 35,047 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    CUT. THE. CREDIT. CARDS. UP.

Seriously, cut them up. If you know the number off the top of your head, tell the companies you've mislaid the cards and ask them to send you new ones, then when they arrive CUT THEM UP STRAIGHT AWAY.

IF you have got to grip with the spending thing, then consolidation of card debt into a loan to pay less interest CAN work for people - but currently, you haven't got to grips with it, have you. If you don;t break the CC habit RIGHT NOW you're going to end up with that loan, and the same amount again in CC debt. Start to rethink what "needing" something actually means. Learn to think ahead when stuff is needed and set money aside ready for it.

So Ive spoken to the bank and they agreed to give me a loan of £2500 (after I got it I realised I didn't need as much)
    What did you do with the extra over and above what you needed?

You said it yourself - you're sick of being on the debt merry-go-round - but only you can take the decision, once and for all, to jump off.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Megano
    • By Megano 17th Nov 16, 9:25 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Megano
    CUT. THE. CREDIT. CARDS. UP.

Seriously, cut them up. If you know the number off the top of your head, tell the companies you've mislaid the cards and ask them to send you new ones, then when they arrive CUT THEM UP STRAIGHT AWAY.

IF you have got to grip with the spending thing, then consolidation of card debt into a loan to pay less interest CAN work for people - but currently, you haven't got to grips with it, have you. If you don;t break the CC habit RIGHT NOW you're going to end up with that loan, and the same amount again in CC debt. Start to rethink what "needing" something actually means. Learn to think ahead when stuff is needed and set money aside ready for it.

What did you do with the extra over and above what you needed?

You said it yourself - you're sick of being on the debt merry-go-round - but only you can take the decision, once and for all, to jump off.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Thanks for the advice - in terms of the extra money well I bought a new bed (ours broke as I moved it and snapped the supporting leg) plus I went an got OH some running gear for his winter training.

News news news.
    -So Ive decided to keep on W3 in the meantime - I think as soon as BOM and the loan is cleared off then I'll review it.
    - Ive managed to land myself another job its nothing major 1 hour a day at a bookies cleaning the office. Minimum wage - paid fortnightly so can't really complain.

The Florida fund is creeping up nicely! We have £260 so far plus I'm getting a bonus.
    Part of me is thinking of using my £450 (pre tax) bonus towards the loan but then its just putting the Florida fund on a back burner.
    Rightly or wrongly. Ive made my choice.
    • Megano
    • By Megano 23rd Nov 16, 8:55 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Megano
    Hey! how have you been?
    I swear to god my head is fried with the man child that is BIL. Walked through the door the the PIL house and he was there. No hello. no hola. Not even a how are you and he starts
    "F**king EE phoned me up and said I was being rewarded for being a loyal customer (now BIL is on PAYG) and now they have sent me a bill"
    Turns out he agreed to take a mobile phone contract out when someone from telesales called him and muggings here had to sort it out.
    I was on the phone for an hour and a half with him shouting in the background "Imma single parent!" "Ive to phone social services" but I managed it plus got him £30 credit so he wasn't out of pocket. Now I wasn't expecting a parade in my name or a street to be named after me. A simple thank you would have been more than enough, but did i get it? No.
    Instead what I did get was him complaining that the warm house discount (you know the £140 towards your energy if you on certain benefits?) *which I applied for him btw* wasn't getting paid until April and I was like mate, your getting it thats the main thing.
    To which he then started how he is a single parent with a child to look after (I'd just like to kindly remind everyone he has his child 3 days a week - and the nights he has him SS give him money for his expenses (£10 per night - imagine getting paid for looking after your own kid )
    So OH and I went home - the real cherry on the cake was the following day (Monday) OH was at work when DIL called him asking how he gets from Paisley to a hospital in Glasgow as he has an appointment (which he knew about for weeks) OH went mental and was like "Im not your go to guy for every problem you have!"
    BIL has an SS meeting today for FLP he's hoping to get him an extra night which is good that things are moving forward but dear god I wish he would give himself a shake and realise its not just him anymore he has a 3 year old to think about.........anyway.
    BOM went over every single bank statement (lucky me) and discovered I owe her slightly more than what either of us though - I think I need to accept defeat in paying all my debts off before Christmas and just start again next year. Which is really really really annoying because I've been so close so many times but each time I have my eye on the finish line I get distracted and ran it up all over again.
    Oh well.
    Day one at the bookies and it took me a little longer than what I thought it would (my boss said it should take about 30 minutes and afterwards go home and still get paid for the hour ) but I guess I just need to get into a routine.
    W3 is annoying me and our game of "find the cups" I swear every doctor at the end of the day must find the most awkward place to put there used cup for me to find it and its ripping my knitting - the plan was to pay off BOM the £250 per month as agreed as as soon as it was cleared BOOM! GOODBYE W3 but Ive just had a moment when my brain said "HEY! instead of paying your Mum £250 per month. Why not pay her £100 and use the excess to make a payment to your loan?"
    I feel like I'm lying to her - like she lent me that money to clear my overdraft thinking it would get me out of debt maybe I should bite the bullet and ask for a bail out again?
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 23rd Nov 16, 5:00 PM
    • 6,730 Posts
    • 9,146 Thanks
    KxMx
    Hi Megano, why not be honest with her and see what she says?

It can be one step forward, two steps back sometimes.

Perhaps it's worth looking again at your budgets and being a bit stricter about spending less and repaying more debt. We all get a little slack after awhile I think!

Use your annoyance and disappointment at not getting debt free before Christmas and put it to good use is keep on paying off all debt.
    • Megano
    • By Megano 25th Nov 16, 8:26 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Megano
    Hi Megano, why not be honest with her and see what she says?
    Originally posted by KxMx
    I know deep down I should but Im just worried I'll disappoint her, plus Im thinking it might take a while longer but Im kinda looking forward to getting myself out of this "mess" and moving forward but I know what you mean about us all getting a little relaxed after a while before it was I'll walk here, and I'll do this and that but now its "oh its cold outside so I'll jump in a cab" "oh I fancy a new hat"
    I think I just need to give myself a good shake. Admit where I went wrong, dust myself off and start again
    • Megano
    • By Megano 1st Dec 16, 9:31 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Megano
    Okay lets do this (again! but who's counting)

So I've worked out all my totals and I just realised Im pretty much back at square 1 in terms of the monetary amount I owe in fact I may even go so far to say I'm on square -1 as when you take into account fees and stuff the amount now is more than what I owed before.
    I guess the only silver lining I have is that 2/3rds is interest free (so I know where I need to be throwing all my extra efforts)
    With Christmas coming up I realised the C1 card was creeping up again with "oh its not a big amount" purchases so I've cut up all the "spare" cards and leaving the C1 card in OH's car for emergencies only.
    I guess the other silver lining is we've been here before, so I know I can do it. Its a case of not getting taxis, taking stuff into work for lunch and knuckling down. I've been so close what once, twice, three times this year? So I defo know I can smash that finish line this time, plus with the extra money from W2,3,4 I honestly believe I can make at least an extra £300 payment to the loan a month so Im quietly confident.
    Plan of action take out the loan first (moving any spare change to the C1 card), move onto C1 - take that out then BOM and then start picking off the remaining CC's.
    Im going to say something that a lot of folk won't agree with (and thats okay - we're a community this isn't a dictatorship diary)
    my aunts inhertance Im not going to use that to pay off my debts - I'm going to put that towards the Florida fund (remember how I said I was using my bonus for the Florida fund? Well I got a little too payment happy and ended up using it to pay off debts - mainly the loan)
    I'm having a love-hate relationship with the bookies its either spotless when I walk in in which case i dust for the sake of it and walk away again or it looks like the bathroom scene from transpotting. I just didnt know how much of an impact working everyday would be (lets face it I use to work everyday before but at different places) Im thinking once the "big 3 - loan, C1 and BOM" are cleared then I might give it up.

In other news I got well and truly screwed over by a "mate - now formally known as her" - in the summer we went to see Biffy at the summer sessions at Bellahouston park and they announced they were doing a tour at the Hydro in November.
    I said I would get OH, I, Bestie and "her" a ticket and she could give me the money back. No problem she said until she lost her job (we use to work together) so I was like thats awful but lets see what we can do so I went on every hiring website I could think of forwarding all the details to her, offered to look over her CV - you know being a mate stuff.
    Anyway the concert was on Tuesday (now because of ticket resellers the hydro are trying paperless concerts where you go in with your bank card and ID but if you bought more than 1 *like I had everyone would need to go in together*
    So she texts me at 7pm - whats the plan? I said we would hook up at 8.20 as the concert was set to start at 8.45 and that would give us plenty of times to grab something to eat and make our way to our seats.
    8.20 comes no sign of her
    8.30 still no sign
    8.40 still no sign. I'm trying to message her on Facebook, text, call. - nothing, nada its like she disappeared off the face of the earth.
    8.43 still nothing so I said to OH and Bestie on you guys go I'll see you up there when she comes.
    9.00 nothing - Im thinking maybe her train is running really late
    9.15 I get this message (copied and pasted from Facebook) "I had to go meet Reece (*side note - who?!?!?!?!?!) he was by himself (((( and thats the last I heard of her
    So not only am I now 40 quid down but I missed half of the concert waiting around on her when she was already in the f**king venue with someone else! Plus if she had just told me sooner I would have sold the ticket to someone, or I would have found someone else to take it.
    I sent her a message but amazingly she's not got back in touch with me and its really annoying because she was meant to help me with my hair (currently half orange and pink due to a hairdresser promotion - but the promotion is now over and they want at least £160 for the upkeep! )
    All Im needing is someone to peroxide my hair so I can buy a paint pot of hair dye for like 3 pound and redo it but every time I ask someone its as if Im asking for miracles to be done.

Anyway.....
    I took the plunge and told my mum about everything - to say she was upset would be the understatement of the century but I explained I wasn't looking for a bail out just to make her aware and she seemed to be a bit more happier and agreed to keep my Florida fund safe to make sure I don't go repayment happy again.
    • Willowpop
    • By Willowpop 1st Dec 16, 11:52 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Willowpop
    Megano!
    Glad you're updating again here.

Right, so it's 1st December...new start. You CAN do this, you just need to stay focussed. Make a spreadsheet so you can see the payments making a difference...sit down and work out if you pay xx each month what your debt free date will be. Stick it to the fridge, or put it in your diary - somewhere you can see it daily to keep you on track.

Stop spending....you have Xmas coming up, don't buy that new hat or whatever you want this week - ask for it for xmas.

You can do this!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

1,123Users online

Martin's Twitter