Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 18th Nov 15, 8:51 AM
    • 7,837Posts
    • 1,806Thanks
    50Twuncle
    AO - Aftercare Protection Plan
    • 18th Nov 15, 8:51 AM
    AO - Aftercare Protection Plan 18th Nov 15 at 8:51 AM
    Could someone please confirm that AO's Aftercare Protection Plan is a rip off ?
    We ordered a new fridge freezer from AO yesterday and within 10 minutes, they had called us back to confirm a delivery date !!

Now the bad bit - they persuaded my wife to take out a £4.95 per month contract "Aftercare Protection Plan" which I feel is not right - what about the first 12 months warranty ?
    Surely - if we have a problem with it, in the first 12 months - we are covered anyway ?
    Should I contact AO and cancel it ?
Page 2
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 3rd Mar 17, 1:05 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    northwalesd
    I would imagine they do it with all customers.
    Originally posted by dsdhall
    I recently (i.e. Feb) bought a c£500 appliance from them and didn't get a phone call - I'm feeling all left out now
    • kleapatra
    • By kleapatra 3rd Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    kleapatra
    I never usually agree to these policies however the bloke at AO gave me a discount on my 3 appliances I was buying if I bought the policies. So I agreed to them and planned to cancel the polIcies after delivery. Well one hour after the kitchen fitter had finished fitting my shiny new kitchen, I knocked over a bottle and smashed my unused new induction hob into quite a few pieces. The 'unwanted' policy pays out for any reason including stupidity and my hob is being fixed next week, for free (haven't even paid the first premium yet). I've cancelled the DD's for the oven and extractor but I think I may keep the hob one for now........
    • desthemoaner
    • By desthemoaner 6th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    desthemoaner
    An oldish thread, I know, but it struck a chord.

I bought a fridge freezer from AO a few days ago. Right enough, minutes after purchase the call came and I was offered the monthly plan. I have had these before and in one particular case, that of a cooker with which we had numerous problems, the plan did prove useful, to some extent. It might have worked just as well if we'd liaised directly with the manufacturer, but who knows. Anyhow I declined on this occasion because one of the features of the fridge which influenced my choice was the 2 year manufacturers' warranty. To be tacitly informed after purchase that this factory warranty simply wasn't adequate and that I needed to take out an extra plan was a surprise, to put it mildly. Anyhow, I stuck to my guns and refused.

For anyone who is determined to buy these policies, it might be worth calling Domestic and General, who supply AO aftercare plans, for a quote direct, because in theory at least, you'll get their price rather than the one loaded with AO's cut. You might also be able to take out a "group" policy to cover all your kitchen white goods, which could be cheaper than taking out policies for individual items.
    Last edited by desthemoaner; 06-09-2017 at 8:57 AM.
    • Viking Man
    • By Viking Man 16th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Viking Man
    They were pretty underhand with me. They gave the pitch "just checking your address and what you ordered..can you confirm xyz...blah...." total bs....then said "right, do you have a pen, I'm going to give you this emergency call out number for Domestic and General. It means that you can call them out should there be any issue, and they'll repair or replace absolutely free"...I said "No it won't be free, I'll be expected to pay a fee" to which he said "There may be a nominal charge, but only coppers". I told him to categorically do one at this stage (he'd already been on 10 mins and I was at work). I said I do not want an extended warranty, it's what you are selling, please go away. He'd annoyed me more with the way he was trying to get me to agree - not transparent at all and if I wasn't as switched on, I could see people being sucked in.
    It sort of spoilt an otherwise good service - good price - quick delivery.
    Originally posted by CLW4590
    Same as my experience recently buying an oven. I bought it over the phone and the sales guy spent at least 10 minutes trying to convince me to buy the aftercare policy. He used all kinds of whacky maths to try to convince me that it was a sound "investment". I just had to keep saying "no"; the more persistent he was, the more I dug in. Why don't salespeople get this? Then he was asking me "what is stopping you from purchasing this?". I wanted to say "Your attitude" but I thought it was too rude, so I just kept saying I wanted to think about and research it. Which is why I'm reading this thread
    • mhannington
    • By mhannington 30th Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mhannington
    Same aggressive sales technique - BE ROBUST and "just say no" - use any reason.......
    My reason to refuse was BAD day. Daugther ill. TV died over weekend - hence purchase. Boiler broke down today too. No heating etc... don't push me, because I'm not in the mood. Same old trite sales logic "reasoned objection handling" or whatever it is. Just be bold as brass and tell them NO, means NO, means NO... for whatever reason. Broken record technique if you want to use a phrase for that. Eventually they give in if they want the sale, and believe me they do! I was doing this on price comparison for TV. Got £44 off their list price compared to listing online from a competitor (less trustworthy competitor, but still have to put up with this nonsense, but worth it for nearly 10% off a price which Currys were offering as their "sale" price).

Don't take any rubbish. D&G policies are not necessary as many others have said - manufacturer warranty applies.....
    • ic
    • By ic 30th Oct 17, 10:36 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    ic
    I've bought a few appliances from them, and they've never tried hard to sell the policy as everything I have bought has come with a five year warranty.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,014Posts Today

7,409Users online

Martin's Twitter