Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 18th Nov 15, 8:51 AM
    • 7,737Posts
    • 1,784Thanks
    50Twuncle
    AO - Aftercare Protection Plan
    • 18th Nov 15, 8:51 AM
    AO - Aftercare Protection Plan 18th Nov 15 at 8:51 AM
    Could someone please confirm that AO's Aftercare Protection Plan is a rip off ?
    We ordered a new fridge freezer from AO yesterday and within 10 minutes, they had called us back to confirm a delivery date !!

Now the bad bit - they persuaded my wife to take out a £4.95 per month contract "Aftercare Protection Plan" which I feel is not right - what about the first 12 months warranty ?
    Surely - if we have a problem with it, in the first 12 months - we are covered anyway ?
    Should I contact AO and cancel it ?
Page 2
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 3rd Mar 17, 1:05 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    northwalesd
    I would imagine they do it with all customers.
    Originally posted by dsdhall
    I recently (i.e. Feb) bought a c£500 appliance from them and didn't get a phone call - I'm feeling all left out now
    • kleapatra
    • By kleapatra 3rd Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    kleapatra
    I never usually agree to these policies however the bloke at AO gave me a discount on my 3 appliances I was buying if I bought the policies. So I agreed to them and planned to cancel the polIcies after delivery. Well one hour after the kitchen fitter had finished fitting my shiny new kitchen, I knocked over a bottle and smashed my unused new induction hob into quite a few pieces. The 'unwanted' policy pays out for any reason including stupidity and my hob is being fixed next week, for free (haven't even paid the first premium yet). I've cancelled the DD's for the oven and extractor but I think I may keep the hob one for now........
    • desthemoaner
    • By desthemoaner 6th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    desthemoaner
    An oldish thread, I know, but it struck a chord.

I bought a fridge freezer from AO a few days ago. Right enough, minutes after purchase the call came and I was offered the monthly plan. I have had these before and in one particular case, that of a cooker with which we had numerous problems, the plan did prove useful, to some extent. It might have worked just as well if we'd liaised directly with the manufacturer, but who knows. Anyhow I declined on this occasion because one of the features of the fridge which influenced my choice was the 2 year manufacturers' warranty. To be tacitly informed after purchase that this factory warranty simply wasn't adequate and that I needed to take out an extra plan was a surprise, to put it mildly. Anyhow, I stuck to my guns and refused.

For anyone who is determined to buy these policies, it might be worth calling Domestic and General, who supply AO aftercare plans, for a quote direct, because in theory at least, you'll get their price rather than the one loaded with AO's cut. You might also be able to take out a "group" policy to cover all your kitchen white goods, which could be cheaper than taking out policies for individual items.
    Last edited by desthemoaner; 06-09-2017 at 8:57 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,667Posts Today

6,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin