Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 17th Nov 15, 4:02 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Places for People Energy
    • 17th Nov 15, 4:02 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Places for People Energy 17th Nov 15 at 4:02 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Places for People Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 5
    • John Astbury
    • By John Astbury 18th May 17, 3:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    John Astbury
    JohnA
    I have been with PFP for over a year and have found that the service has deteriorated - not answering the phone. I have had a dispute with them recently when they sought to increase my DDM by 30% which was not justified and eventually, after wasting a lot of time arguing, they agreed they my figures (and common sense) would prevail. My biggest issue however is that their Complaints process is not fit for purpose with repeated failure to answer simple questions and no reassurance that the same issues will not be repeated. After wasting hours on emails and phonecalls, entirely down to their incompetence they are dragged kicking and screaming to offer £10! It doesnt take long for these new folk to "go native" and drop into the same mire as the Big Six as regards service.Very disappointing.
    • scgf
    • By scgf 18th May 17, 8:21 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    scgf
    I'm with PfP since November 2016. I'm happy so far but wouldn't think twice about paying the £30 and switching, should they get on the wrong side of me. Life's too short to need around sometimes.
    • Rachel Pierson
    • By Rachel Pierson 30th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Rachel Pierson
    Undue increases in monthly Direct Debit
    OK, I've been a customer of PFP for six months now, so thought I'd provide an update.

For the first five months, it was pretty painless. However, their communication was not great. And recently there has been an annoying issue with my monthly Direct Debit being increased without good cause.

I've been in credit every single month of my time as a customer so far. At the current time, I'm more than a month ahead. Despite this, I received an email last month advising that my Direct Debit would go up by £8 without explanation of how they had come to that paradoxical conclusion.

I was pretty sure my estimated usage figures were sound, as I used my highest actual usage from the past three years as the basis of my estimate. And it seems as if my estimate was panning out, given that I am well in credit and six month have passed; including an even mix of Summer and Winter months. So why the increase?

I called PFP, and advised them I didn't want the Direct Debit to change. They agreed with my assessment that an increase was not warranted. I sent them an email recording our verbal understanding that the Direct Debit should not change. That email prompted an email back (11 days later - it's supposed to be 5 days max for them to respond to emails.) In contrast to what they'd said on the phone, their email response indicated that my account had been reviewed, and that if I wanted to challenge their decision I should phone, blah, blah. In other words, they completely disregarded the fact I had 1) already phoned, 2) had already challenged it, and 3) they had already verbally agreed they were wrong. This is not good customer service.

So, in summary, as some other customers have found, this company unfortunately does seem a bit disorganised. The left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing. And they're a bit too eager to increase Direct Debits without justification.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 6th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 28,031 Thanks
    pineapple
    Oh dear. I am overpaying via direct debits on my actual consumption by about 30%. They had better not increase mine - I'm hoping for a reduction and visited this thread to find out how to go about it!
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 6th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    MABLE
    I have been with PFP for about 5 months now and everything is going well.
    However they wrote to me to advise they are reducing my dd by £16.00 a month because of my usage. I asked them not to but they refused to leave at the original level. So I just pay the £16.00 by standing order. Also since joining them I give them a reading every day.
    • fortonsteve
    • By fortonsteve 5th Oct 17, 11:21 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fortonsteve
    AVOID PFP, you have been warned!
    Whatever price you are offered do NOT switch to PFP start-up energy supplier. I foolishly thought being a local company and 75 they would look after me.
    The staff do not have the experience or English to conduct a business.
    My Direct Debit was taken the day I started, so PFP have money for something they have not supplied.
    My Direct Debit was overestimated and 3 months I had almost £300 in credit and getting it back was a nightmare. I Only when I threatened to turn up at their office in Preston did they wake up and offer to give me back my money. They did not understand it was not my job to enrich their bank balance
    You have to read your meters and the PFP staff then enter the amount on your account. They got all the four digits wrong and my Gas account showed I had used a year's gas in 30 days
    This problem could have been fixed in a moment by staff looking at my reading. But no, PFP does not answer or acknowledge emails for some time and some not at all and when they do, they do not read them! I wrote to four addresses, phoned & sent a letter by recorded delivery but the problem dragged on and eventually went to the Energy Ombudsman.
    AVOID PFP!
    • fortonsteve
    • By fortonsteve 5th Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fortonsteve
    AVoid PFP. I left after 3 months!
    Whatever price you are offered do NOT switch to PFP start-up energy supplier. I foolishly thought being a local company and 75 they would look after me.
    The staff do not have the experience or English to conduct a business.
    My Direct Debit was taken the day I started, so PFP have money for something they have not supplied.
    My Direct Debit was overestimated and 3 months I had almost £300 in credit and getting it back was a nightmare. I Only when I threatened to turn up at their office in Preston did they wake up and offer to give me back my money. They did not understand it was not my job to enrich their bank balance
    You have to read your meters and the PFP staff then enter the amount on your account. They got all the four digits wrong and my Gas account showed I had used a year's gas in 30 days
    This problem could have been fixed in a moment by staff looking at my reading. But no, PFP does not answer or acknowledge emails for some time and some not at all and when they do, they do not read them! I wrote to four addresses, phoned & sent a letter by recorded delivery but the problem dragged on and eventually went to the Energy Ombudsman.
    AVOID PFP!
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 7th Oct 17, 8:10 AM
    • 15,275 Posts
    • 21,789 Thanks
    antrobus
    Switched painlessly from BG in March and have waited until now to post as things can change after a few months.

I've had no problems whatsoever. Certainly no billing/tariff issues as mentioned above. Also no problems logging on to their site, which has not been down when I've needed to enter meter readings, which is very easy to do. They email me when they need a reading, no need to set reminders.

I have only called them once, to check whether someone who came round to read the meter was genuine (i had given them my readings the previous week), which he was. Friendly and helpful service. No complaints.
    Originally posted by energiser
    I'd second that opinion.

Been with PFP Energy since December 2016. They ask for monthly meter readings, you give them monthly meter readings, they send you monthly bills, so you know exactly where you are.

I checked them out before switching. Because they are a very new entrant to the energy market. They are a subsidiary of Places for People, which is an established housing association, so there is some financial muscle behind it. I therefore concluded it was unlikely to become another GB Energy.
    • scgf
    • By scgf 7th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    scgf
    Me too. I've been with PfP since Nov 2016 and like antrobus I give readings monthly when asked and receive a bill soon after. My monthly DD goes out and all ticks along nicely. It was made clear that the very first monthly payment is taken in advance so I had no issue with that. I had them change my meter from smart meter to the old dumb meter and that was effected efficiently. I needed to call them a couple of times about that and I always got straight through to talk to a helpful and efficient individual. No complaints at all.
    • Mive
    • By Mive 20th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mive
    I see why people might get upset with PFP Energy, but I had a difference experience with them, a very positive experience. While joining PFP (Aug 2016), they provided a good estimate of my energy consumption (including DD). I have to admit that their communication might sound a little bit confusing. To make a very long story short: bills are calculated every month on the same date, which is the date when you joined PFP (the 14th of the month, in my case). Fair enough, I see this in the bill every month. The problem is that they are constantly sending me SMS asking to provide meter readings 7 DAYS before the date when the bill is calculated (the 7th of the month, in my case). In the first few months, I have always provided my meter readings on the very same day when I received the SMS, but I always received ESTIMATED bills. After sending an email (and I had to wait for too long to hear something back) they told me that is better to send my readings a couple of days before the bill is calculated (the 13th of the month, in my case) - so why do I have to ask for this very important piece of information?

I have also understood that it is much better to simply make a phone call. Once I had this right, everything worked really smoothly. After six months they wanted to increase my DD (but I was in credit, and that was at the beginning of the spring), so I called them and they kept the same DD.

By the end of the summer (providing always timely meter readings) I had a substantial credit (£300). I had a conversation with a nice employee, and they reduced my DD. It took me literally 5 minutes. And the reduction of my DD was realistic (according to my calculations, based on bills from the last 12 months updated with new prices, I might be running out of credit in 8-10 months).

In sum: while they should be able to get back to an email sooner than they do, and they should be clearer in their communications (i.e., the timing of submitting meter readings), I am happy with the service. Just send your meter readings every month (takes literally two secs through their website); do your own maths (their "how much energy you will use in the next twelfth months" on the first page of the bill is wrong, literally wrong, but after one year with them is finally right!); if they want to increase your DD, and you think they are wrong, just call them - if you have provided your meter readings they will be able to fix this issue in seconds!
    • smipx013
    • By smipx013 14th Nov 17, 1:07 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    smipx013
    I was with PFP for a year and having emails every month for meter readings is a bit of a faff until you realise that you can just ignore them and do one proper reading every 3 months or as you wish.

I foolishly moved over a month or two back to AVRO energy as they were going to be £50 cheaper over the year (based on a recommendation on the Cheap Energy Club) and they have been very poor in comparison. If you are thinking of choosing between PFP and AVRO I would choose PFP every time if the prices are similar. they are friendly and helpful on the phone when you eventually get through and you get the feeling they are not just in it for the money and profit. Yes they are a bit disorganised and the website is a bit hit and miss but I think their hearts are in the right place and they don't Bul***t you over the phone when you talk to them (Unlike AVRO).

There - ive said it - vented my anger and I feel much better for it :-)

Here is the thread for AVRO for anyone interested in my nightmare moving over to them: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5367862
    My post on AVRO is on Page 9

Enjoy :-)
    • Saltcreek
    • By Saltcreek 16th Nov 17, 9:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Saltcreek
    The switch went smoothly a year ago.
    The website for entering meter readings is a little clunky but works.
    We have solar panels for heating the hot water so our gas usage varies hugely from summer to winter. The direct debit that they calculated was not taking this into account but a quick email discussion with them sorted it.
    Weirdly we have not had any bills since June so I have just emailed them about that and await a reply.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,219Posts Today

6,206Users online

Martin's Twitter