Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Where's the best place to exchange to Euro? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Where's the best place to exchange to Euro?
Closed Thread
Views: 37,526
# 1
WOW Factor 0
hotblu
Old 25-08-2007, 1:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Where's the best place to exchange to Euro?

Hey,

I am going to Portugal next week and wondered if anyone new the best place to convert to Euro. When I last checked the rates where...

Post Office = 1.404
Travelex = 1.428
HSBC = 1.411

Also, I heard that if you convert a large amount in one go you get a better rate... is this true or is someone winding me up?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hotblu
# 2
bonehead50
Old 25-08-2007, 8:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Marks & Spencer's
The Following User Says Thank You to bonehead50 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
susank
Old 25-08-2007, 9:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Personally I chose Travelex after watching the rates for a week and they were collected at the airport. If you live in London check Martins front page for cheaper deals where you collect them
Saving in my terramundi pot 2, 1 and 50p just for me!
The Following User Says Thank You to susank For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
dmg24
Old 25-08-2007, 9:55 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi Hotblu,

According to Martin's Travel Money Maximiser, the best rate is currently at Thomas Exchange Global. Don't know where Bonehead got M&S from, there are a fair few ahead of them at the moment!

If you order your currency online, Travelex have a price match guarantee. Therefore, you can order your currency from them, then email them and tell them of Thomas Exchange Global's rate, and they will send you a cheque for the difference!

However, with Travelex do remember that if you do not book in advance, the rates at the airport are not nearly as competitive.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
budgetflyer
Old 25-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

my guide tells you how to get up to £50 cashback from travelex.
The Following User Says Thank You to budgetflyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
TBeckett100
Old 25-08-2007, 10:35 AM

high street wise M&S is one of the best, I have a chargecard with them I use when i go on holidays, helps spread the cost a little
The Following User Says Thank You to TBeckett100 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
hotblu
Old 25-08-2007, 10:44 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hello,

Thanks for all the replys, going to look into all the suggestions. Appreciate it.

Hotblu
# 8
dmg24
Old 25-08-2007, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBeckett100 View Post
high street wise M&S is one of the best, I have a chargecard with them I use when i go on holidays, helps spread the cost a little
But the OP did not ask who 'one of the best' are. If so, we could have done her a nice Top Ten!
# 9
Crabman
Old 25-08-2007, 2:20 PM

Using a Nationwide card gives £1 : $2.01

Or in the correct currency £1 : €1.47 (rate with nationwide debit card)

Thanks for pointing that out MarkyMarkD

Read the article for details: Spending Overseas: The cheapest way to pay

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

Last edited by Crabman; 25-08-2007 at 4:57 PM. Reason: Used $ instead of €, sorry!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Crabman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
MarkyMarkD
Old 25-08-2007, 4:54 PM

We're talking about Euros, Crabman, so I don't think $2.01 will be very helpful.

dmg24 - Travelex is all very well, but most credit/debit card holders will get charged a cash advance fee. Switch (Maestro) cardholders are OK and some Visa debit cards, but not the majority. I've stopped using them for this reason.

Martin's Travel Money Maximiser is also flawed for this reason - as I've said ages ago on the relevant thread.

Thomas Exchange Global is also pretty useless to anyone who doesn't frequent the West End of London, as they only have branches there.

In fact, the best buy on Martin's Travel Money Maximiser which actually allows you to collect all over the country, and doesn't have the debit/credit card fee problem, is Marks & Spencers.

Last edited by MarkyMarkD; 25-08-2007 at 5:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkyMarkD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
davidlizard
Old 26-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When we went to Greece a couple of months back, we found (of those convenient to us including online) M&S and Travelex were giving just about the best rate of E1.42/.

However, when we were getting money out of cashpoints out there, we were getting E1.49/. M&S/Travelex were still E1.42.

So unless I am missing something, I would be better off getting just enough M&S/Travelex euros to last a few hours, then hit a cashpoint when I arrive. Of course, one must be certain that there are reliable available cashpoints.
# 12
hammy the hammer
Old 26-08-2007, 6:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

as it's become traditional on this question and no ones done it yet ......i find the post office very reasonable when i change money when i'm going abroad
# 13
hammy the hammer
Old 26-08-2007, 6:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

please don't take my advice in the above post
# 14
MarkyMarkD
Old 26-08-2007, 6:58 PM

LOL, hammy.

The Post Office are NOT best value and I can't understand why people are so taken in by their advertising.

They are almost always worse value than M&S, for example, and M&S has branches pretty near to most people.

The Post Office is not a bad option for people who live in the sticks and can't get to M&S. But it certainly shouldn't be anyone's first choice otherwise.
# 15
hollydays
Old 26-08-2007, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkD View Post
We're talking about Euros, Crabman, so I don't think $2.01 will be very helpful.

dmg24 - Travelex is all very well, but most credit/debit card holders will get charged a cash advance fee. Switch (Maestro) cardholders are OK and some Visa debit cards, but not the majority. I've stopped using them for this reason.

Martin's Travel Money Maximiser is also flawed for this reason - as I've said ages ago on the relevant thread.

Thomas Exchange Global is also pretty useless to anyone who doesn't frequent the West End of London, as they only have branches there.You email them-they send out the money the next day.

In fact, the best buy on Martin's Travel Money Maximiser which actually allows you to collect all over the country, and doesn't have the debit/credit card fee problem, is Marks & Spencers.

Re-Thomas Exchange global-they charge £5 for delivery. Even paying this we have saved money. You join them by faxing them id-its very quick. It doesnt seem to mention about delivery on MSE or their site ,for some strange reason. If a couple of friends are going on holiday at the same time,why not split the delivery charge and save even more.

Last edited by hollydays; 26-08-2007 at 7:53 PM.
# 16
MarkyMarkD
Old 26-08-2007, 7:53 PM

Still have the debit/credit card charge problem, though, hollydays.
# 17
hollydays
Old 26-08-2007, 8:01 PM

You pay them by bank transfer.
# 18
Ety
Old 26-08-2007, 10:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Be careful using credit cards abroad - they are now charging a commission rate. Mine is 3%. I know it's not a lot but could mount up if you were not aware!

Debit cards also charge a handling fee of usually 2%.

Hope this helps,

Etyx
# 19
dzug
Old 26-08-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblu View Post
Also, I heard that if you convert a large amount in one go you get a better rate... is this true or is someone winding me up?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hotblu
Not true at most 'company-run' places (the staff won't be authorised to shift from the official rates) but an independent BdeC will often be prepared to come to a deal.
# 20
MarkyMarkD
Old 26-08-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydays View Post
You pay them by bank transfer.
Thanks for that. It all reinforces why the Money Maximiser is a bit useless and needs to have options for payment method etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkyMarkD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread