Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ilovepeoplesoverymuch
    • By ilovepeoplesoverymuch 16th Nov 15, 10:50 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ilovepeoplesoverymuch
    DHL Charges Forced
    • 16th Nov 15, 10:50 AM
    DHL Charges Forced 16th Nov 15 at 10:50 AM
    Hi,

Basically I ordered three packages from overseas and VAT was charged on them. The person hasn't always put the value on their packages, but for some reason they did this time. Anyway, DHL have placed £30 charge on top of the VAT. DHL told me that since they've already paid the VAT, that I have to pay the full amount.

When I have had orders delivered by DHL before, they sent me a letter before they charged me. I can't afford these extra charges, and I didn't ask for it. I thought perhaps VAT would be charged, and I was ready to pay for that, but not these extra charges.

Anyway, my point is they're saying I have to pay up anyway, and I am finding this very unfair as I have been forced into it this time by DHL.

What are my rights? I said I didn't want the parcels and the delivery man said I can contact them to have them delivered another day.
Page 2
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 21st Nov 15, 4:28 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    Nilrem
    Hi,

The person hasn't always put the value on their packages, but for some reason they did this time..
    Originally posted by ilovepeoplesoverymuch
    Just spotted that bit, it sounds like the person may have been spotted not putting the values on, or not putting correct values on by Customs.

From what I understand, if that happens and Customs notice it several times (especially if it's a business) they will inform them of their "mistake" and remind them of the legal requirements to put one of the internationally approved customs declarations on the packages, and to fill it in correctly.

If they don't do it, then Customs start to pay a closer look at every package they spot from that person/company/address (I think it gets added to a list of such companies), and may work with other countries to do the same.

I know at least one popular DVD retailer got told off for doing it a few years back and IIRC threatened with legal action and/or disruption of all their packages spotted by UK customs (IE every one checked fully and the fee worked out by average prices, not necessarily even that retailers own list on the day).
    • soolin
    • By soolin 21st Nov 15, 5:49 PM
    • 59,748 Posts
    • 42,411 Thanks
    soolin
    I've just paid for a DHL delivery online, I got a text to say my goods had arrived at Gatwick, and then a second text to say I needed to go online to pay the charges.

I've paid my £15 but it didn't give me a breakdown of how they arrived at £15 . I paid around £62 for my items and based on what I have paid for duty and handling before £15 seems a little on the cheap side- but there is no other parcel it can be.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ilovepeoplesoverymuch
    • By ilovepeoplesoverymuch 21st Nov 15, 8:41 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ilovepeoplesoverymuch
    My main question was whether I can refuse the delivery and all of the charges. Of course I'm not asking if I can keep the packages without paying anything. I wish people would read the OP properly.

Again, DHL told me I had to pay the charges even if I refused the delivery. I don't see this is just because I was not asked whether I wanted to pay. They say they've already paid the taxes but this was not confirmed with me, it has been placed onto me without my say.

..Thank you, if you can help me.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 21st Nov 15, 9:02 PM
    • 18,653 Posts
    • 15,557 Thanks
    wealdroam
    My main question was whether I can refuse the delivery and all of the charges. Of course I'm not asking if I can keep the packages without paying anything. I wish people would read the OP properly.

Again, DHL told me I had to pay the charges even if I refused the delivery. I don't see this is just because I was not asked whether I wanted to pay. They say they've already paid the taxes but this was not confirmed with me, it has been placed onto me without my say.

Please re-read post #14. Your answer is there:
    You can refuse delivery - they will be held - they will then ask the shipper what they want to do. If you refuse them the shipper will need to pay for the goods to be returned, you should not have to pay DHL for the clearance but the shipper may charge you the cost of the return. If the shipper refuses the return the goods the goods will likely be destroyed - the shipper wouldn't have to return what you paid for the goods as you declined to receive them (remember this is also an international transaction).

So you either pay and receive your goods. Or you refuse and potentially pay for goods you did not receive.
    Originally posted by visidigi
    • zax47
    • By zax47 22nd Nov 15, 8:58 AM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    zax47

Regarding the bit I highlighted - you really need to be aware of your responsibilities if you are going to import goods (for yes, you are an importer whether you like it or not). The shipper handling the clearance will always charge for the work they do - they aren't a charity - whether you then accept the goods or not isn't their concern but you won't avoid your liability for their charges by doing so.

You can clear it yourself in future - get the sender to clearly write "Goods to be cleared by Importer" on ALL paperwork and parcel(s), but this will cost you even more in time and effort that letting the shipper (who have bonded stores and systems for dealing with HMRC) do it.

Your sender must complete shipping paperwork properly - including declared value. If HMRC feel it's been deliberately mis-described or undervalued to avoid VAT or duty then they can levy those based on their own valuation of the goods.

I don't believe you've yet told us what the goods were, or what value was put on the parcel(s).
    • varunadas
    • By varunadas 29th Dec 16, 4:56 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    varunadas
    I think nobody is disputing of the payment of VAT but charging a minimum fee is the issue over here.
    An international shipment has to be cleared by the carrier irrespective of whether a duty/VAT is payable and this administrative work cost is included in the shipping cost which is the reason of higher international shipping costs.
    For residential customers the shipment value is generally small (often less than £135 dutiable threshold) so charging £11.25 for a small amount of VAT paid is not justifiable.
    The reality the carriers work as a cartel so DHL has simply got their charges on par with others.
    My only grudge against DHL is their reluctance to generate a proper invoice with the SAD copy to show transparency to customer as to what VAT has been paid.
    Recently I ended up paying RM £8 for £3.25 VAT and that too because RM decided to clear my parcel on 2 August instead of in July so the huge drop in exchange rate meant my parcel exceeded the £15 threshold.
    Last edited by varunadas; 29-12-2016 at 4:59 PM. Reason: Added detail
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 29th Dec 16, 5:15 PM
    • 11,735 Posts
    • 8,924 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Can I ask why you resurrected a year old thread?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 29th Dec 16, 5:33 PM
    • 9,677 Posts
    • 10,872 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Can I ask why you resurrected a year old thread?
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Apart from why it's been revived, I've often wondered how someone actually comes across it in the first place.
    A thread that had been dormant for 13+ months must have been well buried in depths of the forum and it's extremely unlikely that someone would stumble upon it by accident.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 29th Dec 16, 6:10 PM
    • 11,735 Posts
    • 8,924 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Apart from why it's been revived, I've often wondered how someone actually comes across it in the first place.
    A thread that had been dormant for 13+ months must have been well buried in depths of the forum and it's extremely unlikely that someone would stumble upon it by accident.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    I was wondering the exact same - how they manage to come across random old threads and why.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 29th Dec 16, 7:22 PM
    • 3,330 Posts
    • 4,865 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Especially as the last time the resurrector posted on the forum was back in March 2015.

Very random.
    • Zero Gravitas
    • By Zero Gravitas 29th Dec 16, 7:30 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    Zero Gravitas
    Just think how much more of this there's going to be after we leave the EU :-)
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 29th Dec 16, 7:59 PM
    • 9,677 Posts
    • 10,872 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Just think how much more of this there's going to be after we leave the EU :-)
    Originally posted by Zero Gravitas

There will be more old threads resurrected after we leave the EU?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 29th Dec 16, 9:14 PM
    • 19,124 Posts
    • 10,299 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    The forum search engine will often throw up old threads in response to specific word searches.

Here's the page for a search of "DHL"
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/search.php?searchid=170300034

Not hard to find older threads in that lot...
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 29th Dec 16, 10:17 PM
    • 9,677 Posts
    • 10,872 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    The forum search engine will often throw up old threads in response to specific word searches.

Here's the page for a search of "DHL"
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/search.php?searchid=170300034

Not hard to find older threads in that lot...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    But why would anyone want to do a search for "DHL" simply so that they can reply to posts made 13+ months ago?
    If would be different if they were looking for recent posts to comment on and I can understand why people do that but commenting on threads that haven't been updated in well over a year?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 29th Dec 16, 10:53 PM
    • 19,124 Posts
    • 10,299 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    If would be different if they were looking for recent posts to comment on and I can understand why people do that but commenting on threads that haven't been updated in well over a year?
    You might ask the same of posters who can't use the quote function and reply to an earlier post without any reference to who they are responding to.
    But why would anyone want to do a search for "DHL"
    Probably because they don't realise they should simply make a new thread on the subject.

A lot don't check the date when a thread was last posted to.

Probably an element of mischief from some as well. There was a thread bumped earlier this month which was started December 13th 2013, it was continually responded to as if it was posted this year.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't worry too much about it..
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 31st Jan 17, 10:30 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 1,840 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Has anyone ever had an invoice from DHL for duty after the delivered goods, and with no pricing info on the packages. The invoice is for about 50% of what the items are worth and 10% of them were broken.
    Also the DHL invoice is missing my road number so it's just pure luck it got here, and it is a reminder (the first one obviously never got here).
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • jaima
    • By jaima 8th Jan 18, 6:56 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jaima
    Goods Under £120 have no import charges, there is vat to be paid on some goods ie cctv camera the vat is currently 3.3%
    You need to use the government import pages to find out which category your goods come under for vat charges
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Jan 18, 7:21 AM
    • 11,714 Posts
    • 7,911 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Goods Under £120 have no import charges, there is vat to be paid on some goods ie cctv camera the vat is currently 3.3%
    You need to use the government import pages to find out which category your goods come under for vat charges
    Originally posted by jaima
    The last comment on this thread is nearly a year old.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,414Posts Today

8,294Users online

Martin's Twitter