Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EdSwippet
    • By EdSwippet 14th Nov 15, 7:31 PM
    • 556Posts
    • 521Thanks
    EdSwippet
    Things to do after early retirement?
    • 14th Nov 15, 7:31 PM
    Things to do after early retirement? 14th Nov 15 at 7:31 PM
    I am mid-fifties and plan on taking early retirement, possibly in the first quarter of next year. I'm active and in good health, have decent pension arrangements, and have a list of things I want to do, but I'm interested to hear any reports from folk who have perhaps retired early in the past.

In particular, anything in your plan that worked well, perhaps unexpectedly so? Anything that didn't work out at all? Or if you haven't yet retired early but are thinking about it, how do you plan to spend time?

I know we all like to do different things, but nevertheless I'm on the lookout for possibilities I might not yet have thought of.

For my part... I will swim most days. I will go to the gym, and take regular yoga, pilates and other exercise classes. I will be a volunteer gardener at a local NT property. I will help disabled children learn to swim. I will learn to draw, and attend art appreciation classes. I will -- finally, and after multiple false starts earlier in life! -- learn to read music and play a musical instrument. I will cycle, hike, and canoe where possible. I will learn Spanish. I will go on yoga and meditation retreats. I will travel widely. I will not write a book.

There now, let's see how much of that plan survives its first encounter with reality!
Page 4
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 2nd Jan 16, 1:05 AM
    • 37,733 Posts
    • 34,080 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    We are contemplating the purchase of a small villa in Spain to live in the Winters and rent out in the summer.
    Originally posted by redmalc
    May I commend our 'Living Abroad' thread to you. It's not a very active thread, but several of our informants either do or have lived in Spain. The main thing I picked up is that some parts of Spain are not very warm in winter ... so choose well!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • missile
    • By missile 4th Jan 16, 12:49 AM
    • 8,958 Posts
    • 4,337 Thanks
    missile
    We are contemplating the purchase of a small villa in Spain to live in the Winters and rent out in the summer.
    Originally posted by redmalc
    Do you have any experience of property letting? It is not as easy or as profitable as you may think. There are many rental properties in Spain which stand empty / rent for a loss. Who would manage your property?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • k6chris
    • By k6chris 25th Sep 17, 7:22 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    k6chris
    Posting in this excellent thread partly to bump it up, but also to focus on the early retirement aspect. Being (touch wood) reasonably fit at present, filling my time on good weather days will be simple, but what new indoor activities have early retirees been able to do with their new found time???
    EatingSoup
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 25th Sep 17, 8:38 AM
    • 22,631 Posts
    • 58,178 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Join your local U3A. You'll find a wide range of things to do, from intellectual to fun, outdoors or indoors.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Arthurian
    • By Arthurian 2nd Oct 17, 1:15 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Arthurian
    For couples who have always divided home life into 'his and hers' chores, may I suggest thoroughly learning what the other half does? For example, the one who always deals with finances should teach the other about the basics of investing, where the tax forms are kept, etc. The one who loves gardening should teach the other how the lawnmower works. The DIYer should explain the intricacies of the hot water system, etc. It's too easy to just let the other one just get on with it, until one day you suddenly realise you have to do it all, and it's too late to ask how.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,544Posts Today

9,339Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin