Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 6th Nov 15, 12:17 AM
    • 8,403Posts
    • 46,172Thanks
    Sue-UU
    "Sealed pot Challenge" ~ 9
    • 6th Nov 15, 12:17 AM
    "Sealed pot Challenge" ~ 9 6th Nov 15 at 12:17 AM
    Alright then Potters, it seems nigh on incredible, but we really are off and away with "SPC "No 9"!!! So very hard to believe that we've been going all this time.

For all newcomers, yes "Old Timers" too - it's so very important to please read through this entire post to see what the SPC is all about, dates for counting up and our re-opening date etc.. However, please be sure to Join the forum first in order to be able to join the challenge - if you haven't already!

For ALL SPC members, please keep chatting on the SPC 9 thread about your conquests, money-saving ideas etc from Post 4 onward, it gives encouragement to all, including yourselves and keeps the incentive to save far stronger.

Hello yet again dedicated MSE Sealed Pot Savers! We're off once more with another Sealed Pot Challenge No 9. We've had 8 very successful money-saving years, but it's all purely through the determined saving of you all - many thanks to you amazing folk who have made SPC what it is!!

For all newcomers - a really huge heartfelt welcome! We're a terrific bunch who just adore greeting more members to the flock. Please read through the whole of this post and you'll be aware of why SPC is so special. You all settle in straight away and become part of our saving family!

The idea is to save as much as possible throughout the following year until just before Christmas - which this year will be to open our pots on Thursday the 3rd November 2016. We save it in pots that we've pre-sealed to stop us being tempted to open them. Any spare cash can be put away, every day/week/month, whatever is best for you. If you have change left over after you've been shopping - pop it in the pot! After all why not! However small the change...the likelihood is that it won't be missed, and might otherwise have been wasted!

Most of us put the difference in that we've been saved on special offers etc, it's all saved at the shop so it makes sense to save it in the pot to mount up!

Below are the basics for making your pot and sealing.

Firstly: Get yourself a pot, and remember - it doesn't need to cost much - if anything. If money's tight then use any pot for now, i.e. A sweet tin, coffee jar..extremely MSE!! Next - seal it with sellotape and be sure to make a slit in the lid, big enough for a 50p to go in, that way all coins will fit in. Later on, if you wish, you can always take advantage of finding a cheap pot in the sales after Christmas, or put one you fancy on your Christmas list! You can always buy ready sealed tins from reasonably priced shops! They're usually about a POUND from a £ store!!

It can also be interesting and challenging to make yourself a Paper Mache pig (or any animal) etc by using Frugaldom's recipe by clicking here then going to Post No. 597 or by going to a totally separate thread papier mache animal here. Many thanks to Frugaldom.

After selecting your pot, seal round the lid with sellotape or superglue if necessary. Again, be sure to make a slit in the top that is the right size for a 50p to go in! NB. If you make a Paper Mache pot you will need to "operate" on it at the end of each challenge! Still, you can always have the pleasure of making a new one towards the end of the year, or getting the kiddies involved - if you're the daring type! The mind could run riot with what to model!

Anyone wanting to show a picture of their pot on the thread, here are directions by jakes-mum: "Go to www.photobucket.com and create an account, click the orange 'upload' button at the top and select your picture from your computer. Once uploaded, select the picture and click 'edit' then 'resize' change the first size number to 400 and click save. On the right hand side click the link next to 'direct', come back here and click the little picture of the mountain above the reply box, delete out the http and right hand click, select paste and your link should get pasted in. When you post your reply your pic should be there and not absolutely massive". Many thanks, jakes-mum, you are a gem!

Terrimundi pots are available in many shops and on-line, they're very attractive and another ready sealed way to save, and though the manufacturers and retailers would have you believe differently, you DO NOT need to smash them to remove your cash!! I've used mine for 8 years...and at the end of each year's (since 2009 when I graduated from a carton!) challenge, hubby and I have a whale of a time, doing things the 'old' way by tilting the pot and using a knife! Though, a few years ago DH bought a 12" steel ruler in from the shed which is thin and broad and perfect for the job. So be assured that, so long as you go carefully, you CAN use them again and again....unless you drop the darned things!! They are costly though, but this is where your Christmas list comes in handy!

Regarding the Sealed Cans many of you usepparently the best way to open the sealed tins is, rather than using a tin opener, squeeze the side of the tin, where the seam meets and you can pop the seal and tip the money out that way.

The term roadkill = any money found on pavements, parks etc; even in car parks or on shop floors etc.

NB. A few notes of interest.

1/ Any money given as a gift (other than Birthdays, Christmas etc) i.e.. Inherited can not be included as savings. Likewise any money put directly into the bank cannot be counted as savings with SPC. Money from small second jobs is ok, such as cleaning for Mrs Bloggs down the road/ taking in ironing, a part-time job or anything similar is ok to be saved. Any savings saved via Christmas Clubs can also be used in your SPC Totals, it's another way of saving for Christmas after all. Money received from cashback sites such as Quidco, topcashback etc can be included in your pots. Likewise, any money made from sales on E-Bay, Facebook or similar can be saved.

Also it's possible to include any other savings from MSE Challenges with your SPC Totals i.e. the £2 Challenge as, apparently they aren't put down on the challenge threads themselves. If you're unsure, please ask on the thread, and remember - there's no so thing as a stupid question!

Second incomes can come in many varied and very lucrative guises and anything such as that would be unfair to other members. Mostly the SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save during the year...mostly it's relatively small amounts which are saved from wages, housekeeping, good budgeting etc. Remunerations via the letting of second homes cannot be included in the SPC.

2/
    Whenever you're in the dilemma of "ooh should I buy that?" If you don't need it, but just want it - leave it there and pot the cash instead, you'll be much more satisfied with the accomplishment, pleased with your self-discipline too. All too often, if I go back a second time I find I didn't even like whatever it was anyway.

3/ You can ask me to put a Target on for you to try to meet (it goes alongside your name and number on the 2nd and 3rd posts below) but it's not necessary. If you do set one, but are unable to meet it, it doesn't matter at all, at least you will have tried! A few people keep account of all they save, but most of us count what we save daily or weekly, then put it on the thread to help encourage others then we pot it and forget about it and ....wait for the surprise at the end of the year! If you're hoping for a particular amount, but still want a surprise at the end of the saving year, work out what amount you'd like and what's needed per week to achieve it - save that amount weekly/monthly as well as still putting your bits of change in without holding the amounts in your head - you're bound to come out on top that way and still get a surprise!

Please don't worry about the amounts others save! There are such differences with jobs, wages, commitments etc so some naturally find large sums easy to save, while others of us don't. However, it's the pleasure that counts - so be happy with yours, proud too!

4/ Mainly SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save in a year for Christmas 2016. However, over the last 8 years we've had some members who needed theirs throughout the year for bills, and personally I'd far sooner they take the cash out for that than pay more interest or...miss a due date! You can always start again, even if it's getting later in the year, you can even include what you needed to take out, after all, you will have saved it. Whatever you need to do, don't worry about it - be happy and proud you have saved!

5/ If you wish to save for something special, a holiday, wedding etc then please do so, just please remember to declare it on November 3rd. The most important thing, is that you are saving ...and hopefully not tempted to take it out unnecessarily. If anyone has any other queries, then please sing out...though not too loudly.....you might shatter your pot/s!

6/ At the end of the year (or when we've saved for what we wish) count up all your money saved and declare your Total either by waiting until the declaration date - or (if you've needed your cash for other things - by putting your Total on your MSE signature to remind you to include it in your full Total; that particularly applies to those using their money for holidays etc, but PLEASE remember to return to the thread on the 3rd November to declare those Totals to me. Some members prefer not to keep too much money in the house and count theirs up every now and then to bank it, in which case they always pop the amount banked on their MSE signatures.

7/ DO KEEP YOUR POT or POTS SAFE!! If you hide it, be sure to remember where you put it as it wouldn't be the first time that members have forgotten where they've hidden it!

8/ "Holding Pots": To anyone concerned about putting money into their pot...then possibly needing it later in the week/month: Why not use an unsealed pot or purse as a "holding pot" and pop the money in there first each day/week/month - then, if it's not needed (for car parking costs, little Johnnies school trip etc) - put it in your Sealed pot so it stays put. Do that each week and it'll save you taking money from the bank. Discipline yourself to only take what's needed though!

9/ "Where to take bags of cash at the end of the year?": With regards to this all important question, here's vital help from girlatplay: "I bank with Bank of Scotland and they accept as many change bags as you have, as long as you take them to the business banking counter." That is so handy for members to know, many thanks to GAP. This also applies to the Halifax Westie tells me, thanks so much for that, Westie. I suspect most banks/building societies are the same if truth be known.

10/ Members who do not return by the end of November (please note the closing date for 2016 is 3rd November) will sadly now lose their numbers as, many people who sign up to the challenge then don't bother returning! To be fair, I think a lot get swept up in the excitement of it all, but then, for one reason of another, can't or don't wish to keep it up, but that then leaves me with a long list of non savers on the list which makes things very difficult over time. Sorry folks, but any saving members won't be at all worried about this - but if those 'defaulting' (bad word, but...!) members remember then - come on back and ask for another number, they will always be be more than welcome!

On the 2 posts below is a list of members and their numbers, always display yours on your signatures please, that makes life so much easier for me and my DH when counting up all of our Totals. In December (before if we're lucky and have most members return to declare their savings) I put a Grand Total on of ALL that we members have collected, what a terrific sight that is! Please declare yours savings ASAP on or close to the 3rd November, many thanks.

Just a quiet word of warning to all those in the Cambridge area - forget ever thinking of looking for roadkill there as jakes-mum will even tackle you the ground to get to it first! Think I'm joking??

Once again, we've just had another truly fantastic year, let's keep it up and see what we can achieve this year. Good luck everyone and save well!!

PLEASE take note everyone Thursday 3rd November is the closing date for 2016, the day we declare what we've saved on the thread. Please, kindly declare your monies saved within 2 weeks of the 3rd, thank you kindly.

The starting date for the next thread
    SPC 10 (for the year 2017) will be Friday 4th November 2016. Yes, the following day!

Anyone wishing to join us please post on the thread to ask and I'll give you a number so you can join in the fun......and please do note that...no matter what time of year ....

It's Never Too Late To Join Us! and You Never Need To Re-join....well, unless you stop visiting us in November! However.......you can always return to the fold!

Many thanks for reading
    , Sue x
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 27-12-2015 at 9:44 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 =£61.367.88!!!
    2015 = £52.852.06!!!

Page 155
    • crimson.addict
    • By crimson.addict 17th Oct 16, 9:56 AM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 9,478 Thanks
    crimson.addict
    Oooohh,sooooo excited for pot opening day .
    Last Tuesday I received my first polymer £5 note.It was part of the payment from an elderly customer of mine.I told him I didn't have the heart to spend it,partly because it was my first polymer £5note,also because it was from him,bless him.(Cant honestly say it was my first EVER polymer note-Australia introduced polymer notes in 1988 for our bicentenary-recent history lesson for you right there,folks).

The second polymer note I received,later the same day,I decided I couldn't spend because it was in such pristine condition .
    So then I thought,I wonder if I could pot every five pound note I receive between now and pot-opening day (apart from those two notes,of course ).So that is my challenge to myself-to pot every plastic £5 note I get between now and pot opening .

Potted my first fiver tonight.

Sooooooo close to pot opening.Sooooooo excited .
    Originally posted by Saver-upper
    I currently have 2 £5 notes in the back of my phone case because they are so pristine that I can't bear to let them get bent in my purse. i have a couple in my purse that i know i won't spend unless i seriously have to.

Aren't we humans strange lol.
    Sealed Pot Challenge member #071 VSP #4
    £723.44(SPC5) - £753.77(SPC6) - £857.19(SPC7) - £1,632.19(SPC8) - £2,707.15(SPC9) - £23.10(SPC10)...so far

I love LC2 and Jakes-Mum
    Star's from Sue x28
    FINALLY DEBT FREE!! - EF - £2,163.52/£5,000 - H2B - £1,807.62/£12,000
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 17th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    • 8,403 Posts
    • 46,172 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    A VERY happy Monday folks and keep potting away hard!
    I missed this until now, but am happily looking forward to the 4th November. I do randomly save my change before dipping into it for bus fares etc. but having just had a count it's only £5.53. I do wonder how much it will grow to if I stop dipping into it!
    Originally posted by scottishbrummy
    A very warm welcome to you, scottishbrummy, I maybe a little presumptious but it sounds a lot to me as though you wished to join us. So.....it's lovely to have you with us. Enjoy yourself saving, posting and be sure to join in the banter with us. You'll find your number at the bottom of the list on post 2nd post of page 1. Please read through post 1 as it'll let you know exactly what to do with the challenge. PS. We empty our pots and declare our savings in November, please make a note of this year's date: 3rd Nov.
    Please also subscribe to the thread by clicking on "Thread Tools" (lower green bar) and clicking "Subscribe to this thread"...or you may lose us! To put your SPC No on, go to "Quick Links" (right side of top green bar), click and then click on "Edit Signature" and you're away.

*Please pop your numbers on your sigs, it really helps.

Thanks to Westie and Lynne for advising scottishbrummy on what to do and that it's never too late to join us! Come on in, Scottish Brummie you're more than welcome to join us straightaway, after all why would you not! A gold star for the pair of you.

A very good afternoon to you all Sealed Potters! I hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend and you're all set to go for the week ahead… Perhaps not for some of you but do your best!

Goodwill wishes for all those who perhaps aren't well or who are a little down for some other reason, but whatever it is we are all hoping that you're soon fighting fit and raring to go once again! {{{Hugs}}} to you all!

£5.20 potted this weekend, including another 20p roadkill picked up at Ashton Gate on Friday night.
    Lynsey, you may not have won the Lotto but I did! The princely sum of £2.30, from a ticket that cost £2.50!
    Keep going everyone, nearly there
    Originally posted by AntoMac
    Aha! You know what happens when someone has a Lottery win don't you, Antomac, they share it between us ALL!!!!!!! I'll leave you to work out just how much my share is!!!

Another great week for you then, well done, and I see you've kept your eyes well peeled in order to get that 20p piece, fantastic work!!

Hiya 32b3, lovely to see you and here's hoping you have a great holiday whatever you're doing. As for Jakes-mum I haven't a clue where she's got to but I'm hoping she's alright, that Jake's arm is much better by now too. By goll I'm pleased you said what you did as.... the 3rd is a LOT closer than even I was thinking!!!!!

Including today, folks, there are just 17 days left to fill those pots!!!!!

Hi Florence, I hope you had a wonderful time away even if it was only for a short while. Shame about the purse but at least you fixed it so at least that's something less that you've got to pay out for! You make sure you get that 1p off of your DH - can't afford to get giving money away now can we!!!

Excellent partying benten, you're doing just brilliantly!!

That's a fantastic idea to save every new £5 note you get between now and declaration day, Saverupper, hopefully you may get quite a bit, here's hoping you will!!! I haven't even seen one yet, well I did see one being given to another customer in front of me the other day but haven't had one for ourselves. Ah well in time I suppose.

You're thinking correctly, kezbabybabe, whilst you mightn't be potting much at least you're not spending it either! Not long to go now!!!

So what'll happen to those £5ers you're hanging onto then, Ruth? Will they be counted up on the 3rd?!!! Odd creatures aren't we, well you!!

Enjoy your week, everyone, and keep right on making those pots tinkle as you fill them!

Sue xx

3rd November is the opening date for 2016.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 =£61.367.88!!!
    2015 = £52.852.06!!!

• crimson.addict
    • By crimson.addict 17th Oct 16, 2:27 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 9,478 Thanks
    crimson.addict
    So what'll happen to those £5ers you're hanging onto then, Ruth? Will they be counted up on the 3rd?!!! Odd creatures aren't we, well you!!
    Originally posted by Sue-UU
    Probably not. They'll probably stay in there until I am in dire need of them. They are too pristine to use. I don't want to count them because then i feel like i have to bank them. We really are odd creatures, or maybe that's just me hahahaha

I've not been posting much but i have been potting. You seem to be doing great on your potting. I'll be excited to see how much you have saved and the total for the year of course.
    Sealed Pot Challenge member #071 VSP #4
    £723.44(SPC5) - £753.77(SPC6) - £857.19(SPC7) - £1,632.19(SPC8) - £2,707.15(SPC9) - £23.10(SPC10)...so far

I love LC2 and Jakes-Mum
    Star's from Sue x28
    FINALLY DEBT FREE!! - EF - £2,163.52/£5,000 - H2B - £1,807.62/£12,000
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 17th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 40,564 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Helloooooooooooooo Pottersssssssssssssssss

Bloomin eck, its been about 3 weeks since I was last here! I am fine, just way to much stuff going on in real life and its keeping me from my SPC buddies

Thank you to all those that wished my boy a speedy recovery, he's absolutely fine, to give you a rough idea of how rubber my son seems to be . . Was hit by the car on the tuesday night, back at school the following monday, off the crutches that saturday and back at football training the tuesday after that AND has played two full matches since then as well cannot keep that boy still!!

been potting away, no idea how much i've put in there but its heavy, so hoping for a healthy amount . We all played the 'how much is in mums tin' guessing game over the weekend, I am refusing to give a total as I have a inkling what might be in there but dont want to raise any hopes and be wrong but have said we will write them all down and put them in an envelope before we do the count up to see who was closest

No pennies in the pot today as I haven't been in my purse yet
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98
    • DreamerHelen
    • By DreamerHelen 18th Oct 16, 4:42 AM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 13,017 Thanks
    DreamerHelen
    Morning Everyone...I'm so sorry that I haven't been around...I used to be so chatty on here...but right now it's all I can do to keep up with my own Thread (and even then I only just about manage it!!)...

My Grandad got taken into Hospital about 7 weeks ago...he had a seizure and a cardiac arrest in the Street....He's still in Hospital...has had a second cardiac arrest and is struggling a bit...he has good days and bad days but I guess that's normal at this stage....

And then my Grandma got taken into Hospital as well with difficulty breathing...turns out she has a heart thing going on but we're not sure what as it hasn't been fully diagnosed yet...

So there is lots going on...I've had to use quite a lot of my Savings (from various Pots) to keep going because I've spent a fair bit of time looking after Grandma and going to the Hospital....but I'm okay with that, after all that is what Savings are there for!!

I've started again with a Christmas Pot for this Christmas so hopefully I can get enough to buy Christmas Pressies this Year...although it might be a lean Year in terms of giving people Pressies but I know my Family and Friends will understand that...

Anyway....Been Potting silver and coppers here and there....

I'm sorry to hear of some of the bad news from people...Hope you are all well...and I'll try to keep more Updated on this Thread...

Love and Hugs to EVERYONE!! xXx
    TRUE LBM IN DECEMBER 2015 20p Savers Club 2016 #82 £1/£100 £6000 EF #1 £55/£500 (Initial Goal) General £1000 EF #13 £0/£1000 SPC #089 SPC9 2016 £42.15!! - Stars From SueUU x23
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 18th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    • 3,214 Posts
    • 12,572 Thanks
    Westie983
    Thanks to Westie and Lynne for advising scottishbrummy on what to do and that it's never too late to join us! Come on in, Scottish Brummie you're more than welcome to join us straightaway, after all why would you not! A gold star for the pair of you.
    Thanks Sue-UU for my , I have great pleasure in adding it to my signature, one more to go to get to double figures..

On potting news, I haven't potted anything for a few weeks as I havent been out of the flat after my operation, so I have spent money as I have a food order being delivered today, but thats okay as it not from the pot..

Keep going all, not many days left...

Last edited by Westie983; 18-10-2016 at 12:41 PM.
    Save 12k in 2016 #16 Total £14650/£12000 = 122.08%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #97 Total (£252) +£13/£300 = 88.33% ( x 10)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £34.00/£365 = 9.31%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £800/£800 = 100.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #104 Total (£1060)+£386/£2000 = 72.30%

Total £17195.78/£15465 = 111.18%
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 18th Oct 16, 12:49 PM
    • 3,214 Posts
    • 12,572 Thanks
    Westie983
    I've started again with a Christmas Pot for this Christmas so hopefully I can get enough to buy Christmas Pressies this Year...although it might be a lean Year in terms of giving people Pressies but I know my Family and Friends will understand that...
    Originally posted by DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen,

A idea I had from a present I got a few years ago which may help you on a budget, is to get a load of kilner jars (or similar) then you pour into the jar all the ingredients to bake a cake or brownies or anything really, do it it layers so the flour then the chocolate powder sugar etc.

Then on the label put the instructions, bake at 180 degrees, for 20 mins or whatever, mix with 160ml of water,

then your friends and family have a present which is cheap to create but a creative present.

A few bags of flour, can make twelve jars, that I have made.

Just a thought.

Westie983

• siju
    • By siju 18th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    siju
    Sorry to hear your news about your grandparents, DreamerHelen,, it sounds as if you've had a tough time lately. Hopefully, things will settle down soon.

My DS has returned from his work experience in the States and brought all his washing home for me to do. He's also become Vegan during the 4 months he was there. So lovely to have him back Don't get me wrong, I don't object, I just don't appreciate the additional workload involved. Oh well, what can you do? Ya gotta love em!!!

Anyway, managed to pot £4.03 last night. Have a lovely week everyone. As Westie983 subtly points out, Christmas is looming.
    SPC 9 - #192
    Totals: 2014 - £264.51 2015 - £207.50 2016 - £396.79
    • Chutney86
    • By Chutney86 18th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 1,845 Thanks
    Chutney86
    £2 potted for me today
    SPC #23 - 2015 = £319.60 / 2016 = £315.50
    MFW #93 - 2016 = £1562/£1500
    MFiT-T4 #28
    • little_sweetie
    • By little_sweetie 18th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 9,675 Thanks
    little_sweetie
    Hi Sue & fellow potters

I know I haven't been able to pot very much this time but I am amazed and pleased to report that I have won £25 on the premium bonds this month! The cheque arrived at the weekend so I will bank it and update my siggy to show it then add it on to the total declared if that's ok Sue. It will give my pot a very welcome boost.

Sorry to hear about poorly people and bugs and things. OH came down with a nasty tummy bug in the early hours of Monday morning and is still not well. I rang the GP and he says it could be up to a week before OH feels back to normal (I haven't told him that, of course) The hardest thing is to get him to DRINK something...sigh...men can be so like children sometimes.

Big <<HUGS>> to other poorly people out there. Keep potting!! x
    stars from Sue-uu ! x15 Sealed Pot Challenge #70
    SPC #5 £111 SPC #6 £175 SPC #7 £151 SPC#8 £78 SPC#9 £72.50
    • scottishbrummy
    • By scottishbrummy 19th Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    scottishbrummy
    Thanks for the welcome guys! Really looking forward to this - will make next Christmas so much easier to cope with I hope!
    LBM - 30/3/16 - Someone save me from myself!!
    Overdraft: 1800/1800 - Credit card: 1265/1450 - Loan: 3420/4500
    Grand Total: 6485/7750

Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #557 Target: £400
    November GC - 16.50/95
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 19th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    • 3,214 Posts
    • 12,572 Thanks
    Westie983
    Thanks for the welcome guys! Really looking forward to this - will make next Christmas so much easier to cope with I hope!
    It will I promise, and I don't make promises I cant keep :-)

• siju
    • By siju 19th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    siju
    Another £6.74 again today
    SPC 9 - #192
    Totals: 2014 - £264.51 2015 - £207.50 2016 - £396.79
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 19th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 20,502 Thanks
    VickyA
    Good afternoon everyone

I can't believe that we're nearly at *that* date! Whoop, whoop!

I've been potting here and there, snaffling DH's change where possible too! Hoping for a good figure - but any figure is better than not doing it at all. I'm feeling good about this Christmas and I've just started to write a list of what I'm buying and for whom. Bring on 3rd November!
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 declared
    £366 in 366 £275/£366 #21
    NST NOvember #41
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 19th Oct 16, 3:48 PM
    • 3,214 Posts
    • 12,572 Thanks
    Westie983
    Dare I say I am done :-)....

Just need to find the right wrapping paper and then bribe a family friends with money for every one she wraps up, its the bit I hate doing.

:-)

• lucyhope
    • By lucyhope 20th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    lucyhope
    Oh dear, not done well at all with my pot and I'm not expecting a lot this year, what with the wedding in Scotland and having to buy a new TV an lots of other unexpected expenses. But whatever there is will be a bonus and help with the Christmas madness!
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 28 2010 total-£336
    2012 Banked 10/05 £410 07/10 £200 total £610
    2013 total £235 2014 total-£305
    2015 total £869
    2016 total £ 687
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 20th Oct 16, 3:31 PM
    • 8,403 Posts
    • 46,172 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Hello SPCers.....not long to go!!!
    Afternoon all Potters, I hope you're all well, saving hard too...of course you are. By heck the days are whipping past so fast as deadline approaches, not long until declaration day!!!

To those of you unwell or with any problems, here are some special {{{hugs}}} to help you get well soon. We're all thinking so much of you. Take care of yourselves!

Ah...I really can't blame you, Ruth, and I do understand, as you say it's the pristine condition, the novelty as well, or I'm sure it will be for me....if I ever get one!

Heeeellllllooooooo there at last, jakes-mum!!!!!! There we were thinking you'd naughtily opened your pot and fled with it, though we know you'd NEVER DO THAT now don't we??!! Not long now to go, and NO YOU CAN NOT OPEN IT NOW!!!!!! See - I get to know what's coming next from you, well maybe not in your latest which is a change!!!

So good to hear Jake recovered so soon, rubbery indeed! I bet knowing you you'll be the winner of your "guess how much is in the pot" game, but what's the prize........the contents??! Right then I'm timing you and if you're not back ere in a few days there'll be trouble!!!!

My Grandad got taken into Hospital about 7 weeks ago...he had a seizure and a cardiac arrest in the Street....He's still in Hospital...has had a second cardiac arrest and is struggling a bit...he has good days and bad days but I guess that's normal at this stage....

And then my Grandma got taken into Hospital as well with difficulty breathing...turns out she has a heart thing going on but we're not sure what as it hasn't been fully diagnosed yet...
    Originally posted by DreamerHelen
    Hello to you also, Helen, by golly it's so good to see you again. I guessed you were very busy with work and your own thread, but it's lovely to see you!

I'm so very sorry to hear about your poor Granddad, but I certainly hope he can recover soon! Also your dear Grandma, I wonder if her's could have been brought on because of the worry of your Granddad! Whatever the cause I sincerely hope both of them get well soon! Love and best wishes to them both, to you too!

I'm glad you're viewing having to use some of your as inevitable as we all know the horrific costs of hospital CPs...extortionate!! I hope you soon have good news about your Grandparents. Take great care Helen, see you soon!

Don't forget, including today, folks, there are just 14 days left to fill those pots!!!!!

It's good to hear the stars have done you good, Westie, be as good as you can and it may just work in your favour for that 10th one! It sounds as though you've a lot of recovering to do so be sure to take things easy and I very much hope you'll soon be your normal self whatever that is which will be good. Notice I didn't make any other comment after that!! Would you look at that. Westie, for the caring advice to Helen you've earned yourself the 10th star!!

Your DS just loves giving you something to do eh, siju, a sort of challenge perhaps is the best way to view it ....and now he's a vegan! Does he go back to the States anymore or will he be onto pastures new? Good saving too.....

.....you also, Chutney!

Hi Sue & fellow potters

I know I haven't been able to pot very much this time but I am amazed and pleased to report that I have won £25 on the premium bonds this month! The cheque arrived at the weekend so I will bank it and update my siggy to show it then add it on to the total declared if that's ok Sue. It will give my pot a very welcome boost.
    Originally posted by little_sweetie
    Wooooohoooo that's just marvellous news, little_sweetie, I am sooooo happy for you!!!! Not a bad sum either though next be sure to pick the jackpot instead!!

So sorry to hear G's poorly, I suppose the older we get the more these things affect us. Please give him mine & T's very best wishes for a speedy recovery and tell him it'll take longer IF he doesn't drink!! Big {{{Hugs}}} for him. T's the same unless I put my angry face on! Believe it or not our DD is even worse and has even been told so my her Dr - twit!!

It's good to see you're pleased to be part of the family, scottishbrummy, and yes, it makes a huge difference to one of the most expensive times of year, not from now on though!

Oh yes Vicky, not long at all now!! I'm finding it hard to wait but it'll come soon enough. Excellent tabs you're keeping on your DH, follow his trail...with yer pot in hand! I can picture it so well!!!

I understand you, Lucy, as it's been all go for you this year....sooo expensive! However, as you're counting out the contents of your pot reflect on all the memories this year has brought you! Be happy and proud of whatever you've saved as memories are worth the world!

Enjoy the rest of today, everyone, and get those pots just as full as you're able to!

Sue xx

3rd November is the opening date for 2016.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 20-10-2016 at 3:33 PM.
    2015 = £52.852.06!!!

• Chutney86
    • By Chutney86 20th Oct 16, 7:28 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 1,845 Thanks
    Chutney86
    £2 potted for me today
    SPC #23 - 2015 = £319.60 / 2016 = £315.50
    MFW #93 - 2016 = £1562/£1500
    MFiT-T4 #28
    • BeckyS
    • By BeckyS 21st Oct 16, 11:33 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    BeckyS
    This may be slightly (very) late in the game, but I actually do have a pot I've been tossing loose change into for the last few weeks. It's not going to be very much by November 3rd given that it's less than two weeks to go but it would be an interesting exercise.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 21st Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 3,214 Posts
    • 12,572 Thanks
    Westie983
    It's good to hear the stars have done you good, Westie, be as good as you can and it may just work in your favour for that 10th one! It sounds as though you've a lot of recovering to do so be sure to take things easy and I very much hope you'll soon be your normal self whatever that is which will be good. Notice I didn't make any other comment after that!! Would you look at that. Westie, for the caring advice to Helen you've earned yourself the 10th star!!
    SQUUUUEEEEKKKKK My 10th .... why thanks Sue-UU, I will have great pleasure adding that to my signature,

Yes I am lots of recovering to do but im getting there, im hoping to go back to work next week, reduced hours but thats okay for a few weeks ease me back into it.

14 days till opening and.....

Ill leave you with this information, im off to update my signature and take some painkillers

Westie983

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,003Posts Today

5,757Users online

Martin's Twitter