Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 6th Nov 15, 12:17 AM
    • 8,408Posts
    • 46,211Thanks
    Sue-UU
    "Sealed pot Challenge" ~ 9
    • 6th Nov 15, 12:17 AM
    "Sealed pot Challenge" ~ 9 6th Nov 15 at 12:17 AM
    Alright then Potters, it seems nigh on incredible, but we really are off and away with "SPC "No 9"!!! So very hard to believe that we've been going all this time.

For all newcomers, yes "Old Timers" too - it's so very important to please read through this entire post to see what the SPC is all about, dates for counting up and our re-opening date etc.. However, please be sure to Join the forum first in order to be able to join the challenge - if you haven't already!

For ALL SPC members, please keep chatting on the SPC 9 thread about your conquests, money-saving ideas etc from Post 4 onward, it gives encouragement to all, including yourselves and keeps the incentive to save far stronger.

Hello yet again dedicated MSE Sealed Pot Savers! We're off once more with another Sealed Pot Challenge No 9. We've had 8 very successful money-saving years, but it's all purely through the determined saving of you all - many thanks to you amazing folk who have made SPC what it is!!

For all newcomers - a really huge heartfelt welcome! We're a terrific bunch who just adore greeting more members to the flock. Please read through the whole of this post and you'll be aware of why SPC is so special. You all settle in straight away and become part of our saving family!

The idea is to save as much as possible throughout the following year until just before Christmas - which this year will be to open our pots on Thursday the 3rd November 2016. We save it in pots that we've pre-sealed to stop us being tempted to open them. Any spare cash can be put away, every day/week/month, whatever is best for you. If you have change left over after you've been shopping - pop it in the pot! After all why not! However small the change...the likelihood is that it won't be missed, and might otherwise have been wasted!

Most of us put the difference in that we've been saved on special offers etc, it's all saved at the shop so it makes sense to save it in the pot to mount up!

Below are the basics for making your pot and sealing.

Firstly: Get yourself a pot, and remember - it doesn't need to cost much - if anything. If money's tight then use any pot for now, i.e. A sweet tin, coffee jar..extremely MSE!! Next - seal it with sellotape and be sure to make a slit in the lid, big enough for a 50p to go in, that way all coins will fit in. Later on, if you wish, you can always take advantage of finding a cheap pot in the sales after Christmas, or put one you fancy on your Christmas list! You can always buy ready sealed tins from reasonably priced shops! They're usually about a POUND from a £ store!!

It can also be interesting and challenging to make yourself a Paper Mache pig (or any animal) etc by using Frugaldom's recipe by clicking here then going to Post No. 597 or by going to a totally separate thread papier mache animal here. Many thanks to Frugaldom.

After selecting your pot, seal round the lid with sellotape or superglue if necessary. Again, be sure to make a slit in the top that is the right size for a 50p to go in! NB. If you make a Paper Mache pot you will need to "operate" on it at the end of each challenge! Still, you can always have the pleasure of making a new one towards the end of the year, or getting the kiddies involved - if you're the daring type! The mind could run riot with what to model!

Anyone wanting to show a picture of their pot on the thread, here are directions by jakes-mum: "Go to www.photobucket.com and create an account, click the orange 'upload' button at the top and select your picture from your computer. Once uploaded, select the picture and click 'edit' then 'resize' change the first size number to 400 and click save. On the right hand side click the link next to 'direct', come back here and click the little picture of the mountain above the reply box, delete out the http and right hand click, select paste and your link should get pasted in. When you post your reply your pic should be there and not absolutely massive". Many thanks, jakes-mum, you are a gem!

Terrimundi pots are available in many shops and on-line, they're very attractive and another ready sealed way to save, and though the manufacturers and retailers would have you believe differently, you DO NOT need to smash them to remove your cash!! I've used mine for 8 years...and at the end of each year's (since 2009 when I graduated from a carton!) challenge, hubby and I have a whale of a time, doing things the 'old' way by tilting the pot and using a knife! Though, a few years ago DH bought a 12" steel ruler in from the shed which is thin and broad and perfect for the job. So be assured that, so long as you go carefully, you CAN use them again and again....unless you drop the darned things!! They are costly though, but this is where your Christmas list comes in handy!

Regarding the Sealed Cans many of you usepparently the best way to open the sealed tins is, rather than using a tin opener, squeeze the side of the tin, where the seam meets and you can pop the seal and tip the money out that way.

The term roadkill = any money found on pavements, parks etc; even in car parks or on shop floors etc.

NB. A few notes of interest.

1/ Any money given as a gift (other than Birthdays, Christmas etc) i.e.. Inherited can not be included as savings. Likewise any money put directly into the bank cannot be counted as savings with SPC. Money from small second jobs is ok, such as cleaning for Mrs Bloggs down the road/ taking in ironing, a part-time job or anything similar is ok to be saved. Any savings saved via Christmas Clubs can also be used in your SPC Totals, it's another way of saving for Christmas after all. Money received from cashback sites such as Quidco, topcashback etc can be included in your pots. Likewise, any money made from sales on E-Bay, Facebook or similar can be saved.

Also it's possible to include any other savings from MSE Challenges with your SPC Totals i.e. the £2 Challenge as, apparently they aren't put down on the challenge threads themselves. If you're unsure, please ask on the thread, and remember - there's no so thing as a stupid question!

Second incomes can come in many varied and very lucrative guises and anything such as that would be unfair to other members. Mostly the SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save during the year...mostly it's relatively small amounts which are saved from wages, housekeeping, good budgeting etc. Remunerations via the letting of second homes cannot be included in the SPC.

2/
    Whenever you're in the dilemma of "ooh should I buy that?" If you don't need it, but just want it - leave it there and pot the cash instead, you'll be much more satisfied with the accomplishment, pleased with your self-discipline too. All too often, if I go back a second time I find I didn't even like whatever it was anyway.

3/ You can ask me to put a Target on for you to try to meet (it goes alongside your name and number on the 2nd and 3rd posts below) but it's not necessary. If you do set one, but are unable to meet it, it doesn't matter at all, at least you will have tried! A few people keep account of all they save, but most of us count what we save daily or weekly, then put it on the thread to help encourage others then we pot it and forget about it and ....wait for the surprise at the end of the year! If you're hoping for a particular amount, but still want a surprise at the end of the saving year, work out what amount you'd like and what's needed per week to achieve it - save that amount weekly/monthly as well as still putting your bits of change in without holding the amounts in your head - you're bound to come out on top that way and still get a surprise!

Please don't worry about the amounts others save! There are such differences with jobs, wages, commitments etc so some naturally find large sums easy to save, while others of us don't. However, it's the pleasure that counts - so be happy with yours, proud too!

4/ Mainly SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save in a year for Christmas 2016. However, over the last 8 years we've had some members who needed theirs throughout the year for bills, and personally I'd far sooner they take the cash out for that than pay more interest or...miss a due date! You can always start again, even if it's getting later in the year, you can even include what you needed to take out, after all, you will have saved it. Whatever you need to do, don't worry about it - be happy and proud you have saved!

5/ If you wish to save for something special, a holiday, wedding etc then please do so, just please remember to declare it on November 3rd. The most important thing, is that you are saving ...and hopefully not tempted to take it out unnecessarily. If anyone has any other queries, then please sing out...though not too loudly.....you might shatter your pot/s!

6/ At the end of the year (or when we've saved for what we wish) count up all your money saved and declare your Total either by waiting until the declaration date - or (if you've needed your cash for other things - by putting your Total on your MSE signature to remind you to include it in your full Total; that particularly applies to those using their money for holidays etc, but PLEASE remember to return to the thread on the 3rd November to declare those Totals to me. Some members prefer not to keep too much money in the house and count theirs up every now and then to bank it, in which case they always pop the amount banked on their MSE signatures.

7/ DO KEEP YOUR POT or POTS SAFE!! If you hide it, be sure to remember where you put it as it wouldn't be the first time that members have forgotten where they've hidden it!

8/ "Holding Pots": To anyone concerned about putting money into their pot...then possibly needing it later in the week/month: Why not use an unsealed pot or purse as a "holding pot" and pop the money in there first each day/week/month - then, if it's not needed (for car parking costs, little Johnnies school trip etc) - put it in your Sealed pot so it stays put. Do that each week and it'll save you taking money from the bank. Discipline yourself to only take what's needed though!

9/ "Where to take bags of cash at the end of the year?": With regards to this all important question, here's vital help from girlatplay: "I bank with Bank of Scotland and they accept as many change bags as you have, as long as you take them to the business banking counter." That is so handy for members to know, many thanks to GAP. This also applies to the Halifax Westie tells me, thanks so much for that, Westie. I suspect most banks/building societies are the same if truth be known.

10/ Members who do not return by the end of November (please note the closing date for 2016 is 3rd November) will sadly now lose their numbers as, many people who sign up to the challenge then don't bother returning! To be fair, I think a lot get swept up in the excitement of it all, but then, for one reason of another, can't or don't wish to keep it up, but that then leaves me with a long list of non savers on the list which makes things very difficult over time. Sorry folks, but any saving members won't be at all worried about this - but if those 'defaulting' (bad word, but...!) members remember then - come on back and ask for another number, they will always be be more than welcome!

On the 2 posts below is a list of members and their numbers, always display yours on your signatures please, that makes life so much easier for me and my DH when counting up all of our Totals. In December (before if we're lucky and have most members return to declare their savings) I put a Grand Total on of ALL that we members have collected, what a terrific sight that is! Please declare yours savings ASAP on or close to the 3rd November, many thanks.

Just a quiet word of warning to all those in the Cambridge area - forget ever thinking of looking for roadkill there as jakes-mum will even tackle you the ground to get to it first! Think I'm joking??

Once again, we've just had another truly fantastic year, let's keep it up and see what we can achieve this year. Good luck everyone and save well!!

PLEASE take note everyone Thursday 3rd November is the closing date for 2016, the day we declare what we've saved on the thread. Please, kindly declare your monies saved within 2 weeks of the 3rd, thank you kindly.

The starting date for the next thread
    SPC 10 (for the year 2017) will be Friday 4th November 2016. Yes, the following day!

Anyone wishing to join us please post on the thread to ask and I'll give you a number so you can join in the fun......and please do note that...no matter what time of year ....

It's Never Too Late To Join Us! and You Never Need To Re-join....well, unless you stop visiting us in November! However.......you can always return to the fold!

Many thanks for reading
    , Sue x
    Last edited by Sue-UU; 27-12-2015 at 9:44 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 =£61.367.88!!!
    2015 = £52.852.06!!!

Page 153
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 8th Oct 16, 12:47 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 4,073 Thanks
    Florence J
    Potted a £2 coin and lots of mixed silver and copper coins
    Sealed Pot Challenge 9 #553 = £156.88
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553
    2016: Sell £1000 #51 (£340.03/£1000)
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 = £300.44/£310
    Wombling free 2016 = £449.19
    • Lynsey
    • By Lynsey 8th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 9,260 Posts
    • 31,968 Thanks
    Lynsey
    Evening all, hope all are well.

Potted £20 from a cashback site and another £10 from myself.
    That puts me on £650 and it'll be tight to get that £700. If I can pot £20 or more this week, I'll have a chance.
    This time next week we should be landing in Tenerife, if the plane is on time. The € rate is rubbish though and it will be a lot more expensive. Expecting it to cost £100 more than normal.

Be lucky if you're playing the rollover tonight.
    If I win on my own, I'll donate £100 to each Sealed Pot member.
    Don't bank on it though.

A few more bits put away for Xmas, including a turkey breast joint reduced in Morries for just over £2. I wasn't going to do turkey, but I will now. Just need some cheap pork.
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 9th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 9,580 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Well, you know how in May we moved back into our house after the extension?Well,it has been slow getting everything back into place,but the house is really looking lovely now.My OH is a hoarder,and all his rubbish precious belongings were all throughout the house.He converted the new garage himself (and it looks beautiful-I am jealous:fully insulated,cladding on the wall,laminated floor,storage) for all his tat precious belongings,3 computer tables .......

As much as having his junk precious belongings around the rest of the house has been driving me crazy,I didn't want to just chuck it out of the main part of the house into the garage,cos that would have just made him despondent about trying to sort through it,so I have let him keep it in boxes stacked untidily around the house.Then for about the last 4 weekends he has been moving stuff into the garage,and the rest of the house is suddenly having great swathes of space re-appear after 13 months,boxes full of stuff are going into the garage and empty boxes are coming out,as well as bath-towels that have been used for 13months to stop his mountains of detritus precious belongings,scratching the walls.
    Meanwhile,I have been doing some decluttering.Sold an under-counter freezer for £20 ,which has gone into my pot today.
    While OH was sorting stuff out yesterday,he let me count out 3 containers full of loose change he had found while clearing out the old garage for demolition. £204 sitting right there .He also had £6 in 50p pieces left over,so I bought those off him,and potted that as well,so £26 potted today.Really pleased I am catching up a bit in the last couple of weeks,after a couple of very lean months.
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:£35.50 £12,000in2016 #82=£2313
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00
    Pinecone £259,Valued Opinions £10.50

• mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 9th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 14,869 Posts
    • 189,892 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Evening potters
    Hope everyone is as well as can be, hugs to all who need them.

Managed to put £20 in my 1p a day pot, still working on the decorating but hoping upstairs will be finished soon.

Soon be opening day really looking forward to it.ive got a figure in mind that I'd like to give dd3 for her wedding present.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 9th Oct 16, 8:19 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    Well Mr C didn't appear unfortunately - although in all honesty I didn't expect him to. But we had a great night. I used Uber for the first time ever, and also went on one of the new London buses - my first trip on a London bus for about 30 years! But my friend and I still had a good evening at Letters Live; funny and poignant, with a slightly drunk but hilarious Noel Fielding among many others. Also met some fellow fans and Twitter friends. Bit miffed with Hotels.com though, emailing me as I was on my train with better deals than the one I was getting!! Don't expect to get anywhere with it but they're going to get an email about that. Coincidentally the hotel was at the end of the road that doubles for Baker Street in Sherlock so we did the fan thing this morning and had our photos taken outside the front door of "221B".

Put a load of change from my purse into the bottle but nothing into the sealed pot.
    PAYDBX 2016 #71 £3109.44 / £4785 * Xmas 2017 #8 £0 / £365 * (2016 £424.32 / £366)
    * SPCNo.10 #66 (SPCNo.9 £442.64) *
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 9th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 4,073 Thanks
    Florence J
    Over £2 was put in the pot today.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 9 #553 = £156.88
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553
    2016: Sell £1000 #51 (£340.03/£1000)
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 = £300.44/£310
    Wombling free 2016 = £449.19
    • AntoMac
    • By AntoMac 10th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    AntoMac
    £10.05 potted for the week just gone, including another 5p roadkill picked up at football. Getting close to the finishing line now.
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 46

Season Tkts (21%) 4/16, (28%) 5/16, (35%) 6/16, (42%) 7/16, (50%) 8/16, (63%) 9/16, (67%) 10/16, (79%) 11/16
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 10th Oct 16, 10:10 PM
    • 3,220 Posts
    • 12,606 Thanks
    Westie983
    Still here, no potting for me as I'm currently in hospital after a operaton but good that I haven't spent anything, as meals are included,

I hope to escape tomorrow my £1 & £2 coin pot needs feeding, nearly opening time.

Originally posted by Westie983
    haha I dont remember writing this, the magical power of morphine, I have potted £2 today into my pot,

Still no money spent but meals are not included now I'm back home, not long till opening time

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2016 #16 Total £14650/£12000 = 122.08%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #97 Total (£252) +£13/£300 = 88.33% ( x 10)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £34.00/£365 = 9.31%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £800/£800 = 100.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #104 Total (£1060)+£386/£2000 = 72.30%

Total £17195.78/£15465 = 111.18%
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 11th Oct 16, 1:16 AM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    Frogletina
    I was able to make good savings today.

I had a voucher for £6 off a £40 shop, a voucher for 50p off eggs, and some discounted posh toiletries and posh biscuits which will be saved as Christmas presents.

When I accounted for my purchases I counted the cost before discounts.

With other money from my holding purse I have managed to pot £21 today.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • TheCatsandDogsMother
    • By TheCatsandDogsMother 11th Oct 16, 1:27 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 972 Thanks
    TheCatsandDogsMother
    I don't do well with the heat, I nearly passed out blowing the pool up, but it was worth it now that the puppies are laying in it and not panting as much. I am holding out for the colder weather although it is an excuse to eat more ice cream.
    On another puppy someone went down the street yesterday letting all the pets out. Luckily mine didn't go far but it was a shock seeing the gate wide open. Poor next door still hasn't found their pet chicken.
    I've managed to pot another $10 the pot is getting very heavy now.
    Number 495
    • benten69
    • By benten69 11th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    benten69
    Good morning all, managed to pot another £10 since my last visit. Also just been away for work and have expenses to claim. Once I get it paid back I'll be putting it all into the pot, as the money has now left my account, so won't miss it if I save it instead of spending it when I do finally get it back.
    SPC9 #408 - £200.39 | SPC10 #408 - £95.69
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 53% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | Oct '16: £157,050.37

• benten69
    • By benten69 11th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    benten69
    So....been feeling a bit rough (got a cold) and decided to treat myself to a Costa coffee. There is a shopping centre across from my work and I had £3.35 worth of Costa points, so even managed to get a "free" coffee.

Was walking back to work through the ground floor car park of the shopping centre and I spot something out of the corner of my eye, just to the side of me....a nice crisp £10 note sitting there, with loads of people walking by and no-one going near it.

Quickly went over and grabbed it....another £10 for the pot, winner!!
    SPC9 #408 - £200.39 | SPC10 #408 - £95.69
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 53% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | Oct '16: £157,050.37

• mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 11th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 14,869 Posts
    • 189,892 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Well done on the find benten, its lovely when something like that happens to lift your spirits. If I saw someone drop money I would return it no question but when it's just laying abandoned on the floor there nothing you can do but take it in.

Hope everyone is well.
    • Fiasco55
    • By Fiasco55 11th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 14,760 Thanks
    Fiasco55
    So off to the bank today to deposit the contents of my pot. An extra £210.75 added in. . Best SPC year ever for me. Also I've updated my sig to keep my total.
    No buying toiletries total Outs 762

Decluttered 2316 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038 so far £
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 12th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 8,408 Posts
    • 46,211 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Have a good Wednesday Potters!
    A very good morning to you, Potters, I hope everyone is well, saving too...well, of course! By heck the timess flying past and we'll be opening our pots before we know it!!!! NO...not yet jakes-mum and Ruth!!

If anyone's poorly, and I understand there's some 24 hour sickness bouts around now, take great care and keep the fluids up! That won't work with folk with any problems, but push on through them regardless. For now, here are some special {{{hugs}}} to help you get well quickly. We're all thinking so much of you. Take care!

Soon be opening day really looking forward to it.ive got a figure in mind that I'd like to give dd3 for her wedding present.
    Originally posted by mrs-moneypenny

Very well saved indeed, mrs-moneypenny! I dearly hope the sum you've intentions of presenting to your DD works out, what a super gift!!

You also, Florence, it all helps!

Be lucky if you're playing the rollover tonight. If I win on my own, I'll donate £100 to each Sealed Pot member.
    Don't bank on it though.
    Originally posted by Lynsey

So come on, Lynsey, are you going to fess up and tell us that you did when the rollover and……that all us SPCers are all a whole £100 better off?!!! Don't worry, I've possibly guessed the answer, but the thought was really lovely.

Have a brilliant time in Tenerife, though what a heck of an amount extra that it's costing due to Brexit!! Best not to think too much about that side of it.
    You're doing marvellously with your savings, alright I know it's nowhere near your normal sum, but it's still an amazing amount for Christmas and without the extra pressure! BTW, that's great savings with the turkey breast!!

Hello there MrsShazbat, I'm really pleased you and your friend had such a lovely time in London, even if you didn't get to see Mr Cumberbatch. At least you shared a really enjoyable time together which is the all important thing when you're trying to do your friend some good: I truly hope she's feeling better these days and recovering well.

Wow Saver-upper, you've certainly made a difference to your house now you've dumped hubby into the garage! How fantastic he was in letting you have all that cash though, bless him as that was a huge sum!!

It's wonderful that you're now fully sorted out and enjoying the home you've waited so long for, well worth it though eh!!

Great savings, Antomac! You are really picking up well and… you did at least get to keep that 5p rather than your DD wanting to give it back to its owner, well done!!

Indeed the magic of morphine, Westie! I hope you're feeling a whole lot better now and that normal potting will soon be resumed. Get well soon!

That's fantastic savings, Frogletina, and what splendid potting!! Keep those eyes peeled!

What a despicable thing for anyone to do in letting yours and your neighbours pets out, TheCatsandDogsMother!!!!! I wonder if the poor chicken was ever found, I'd love to think so. Nice work with your potting but go careful on the ice cream!

Was walking back to work through the ground floor car park of the shopping centre and I spot something out of the corner of my eye, just to the side of me....a nice crisp £10 note sitting there, with loads of people walking by and no-one going near it.

Quickly went over and grabbed it....another £10 for the pot, winner!!
    Originally posted by benten69
    An excellent find with the lost £10er, benten!!! Amazing how these things work out, sad for the loser, but when there are many folk around....! A great idea with saving what you get back from your work expenses! Here's hoping you soon feel a lot better.

A great idea, Fiasco, at least it's safe that way. You are doing well this year, but keep it going!

I hope you have a lovely Wednesday, folks. There are some great savings being potted, keep hard at it!!

Sue xx

3rd November is the opening date for 2016.

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 =£61.367.88!!!
    2015 = £52.852.06!!!

• Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 12th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Hi Sue-UU

Thanks for your lovely comments

I went back shopping again today with another £6 off voucher, but I then spent £6 on my lunch! oops!

However, I got some more discounted posh biscuits - the last time I got lavender shortbread and this time I've got dark chocolate and ginger thins.

The posh toiletries that I bought last time have gone back up to their normal price so I am pleased I purchased them before.

I've treated myself to some lovely chocolate too.

There will be a little more to pot today but I've not worked it out yet.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

• TheCatsandDogsMother
    • By TheCatsandDogsMother 13th Oct 16, 1:50 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 972 Thanks
    TheCatsandDogsMother
    Hi Sue sadly the neighbours chicken hasn't returned yet we now have locks on the gates as they let the dogs out again yesterday. Luckily our neighbor got them back in the yard as neither of us was home.
    On a happier note I managed to pot $3
    Number 495
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 13th Oct 16, 8:16 AM
    • 14,869 Posts
    • 189,892 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning potters.
    Been busy with work and diy so not a lot of time for other stuff. Already planning for next years pot. (Lol) I've been offered a job share that will start mid November just in time for the new pot to commence. Because it's on top of my normal wages I won't count it in the household income so that can be virtual pot and go towards our kitchen fund-think that pot will take a couple of years to fill.

Hugs to all who need them, it's cold out thee so wrap up warm.
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 13th Oct 16, 8:38 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi everyone, not been posting here much but still potting away and getting really excited about opening day. I've mostly been adding small amounts as I've had lots of unplanned spends including £125 for travel insurance!!! I couldn't believe that it was actually cheaper to buy annual insurance than one to cover my 16 day holiday. That's what I'm using my sealed pot money - spending money for my forthcoming holiday. I buy Xmas presents throughout the year and most presents are already bought and paid for xx
    SPC 9 Member 045 Total 2016 £624.75
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 13th Oct 16, 8:57 AM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Just realised I need to be on a lookout for a new sealed pot as it's nearly opening time.

My pot will be destroyed when opening it, it's one of the tins from poundland which is easily opened by pressing on the seam - as recommended by someone on here.

Counting will be easier this year, I'll miss the counting all the small change but it was heavy to take to the bank. This year I have only potted notes, £1 and 50p coins. I put the smaller coins in a holding purse and only add when I can change into pounds.

I sometimes donate 5p coins to my son in law who has one of those large glass bottles which will take years to fill. He's a good son in law who always drives me home when I visit - hang on? is he just trying to get rid of me?
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,190Posts Today

5,939Users online

Martin's Twitter