Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 3rd Nov 15, 8:15 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 25Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    School Holiday Fines
    • 3rd Nov 15, 8:15 PM
    School Holiday Fines 3rd Nov 15 at 8:15 PM

Hi all, we have a new School Holiday Fines guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Megan F
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 04-11-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 14
    • maman
    • By maman 17th May 17, 12:39 PM
    • 15,988 Posts
    • 95,429 Thanks
    maman
    I wonder if someone could advise me please as I've not seen my situation arise. My son has special needs and isn't in a full time placement, he goes to a local school/academy for one hour after everyone has gone home. This us whilst we were waiting on an ehcp. This has now been approved so this is the last term here. As he will have another place to go suited for his needs. We've been doing this one hour almost 3yrs. He's year 9 going upto 10. We've never been away, and I've found him the perfect retreat to help ease his anxiety and depression. It's a week before term ends. Will I be fined. Bearing in mind they only keep him on this hour to keep being financed for him plus they couldn't deal with him any other way as they kept excluding him before realising his complex needs, Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Desiderata58

Because of this they may think it's exceptional circumstances and give permission especially if the retreat is just on that week and cant be done in the school holidays. The only way you'll find out is to make an appointment with the Head, go into school, explain the situation and ask.
    • DarkShadow
    • By DarkShadow 17th May 17, 12:48 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    DarkShadow
    It's wrong to break school rules take take kids on holiday during the term time unless its something minor like 1,2 days. Back in the day, if my parents took me away for a week during my school time, I would be liable for readmission.

Then again, we have a very overpriced childcare scheme in this country which isn't even adequate for most peoples needs.
    Bank accounts
    Santander : 14 year relationship, 0 problems to date.
    • maman
    • By maman 17th May 17, 1:33 PM
    • 15,988 Posts
    • 95,429 Thanks
    maman
    Obviously desiderata's child has complex needs and this retreat is designed to help his mental health. Personally I'd consider that in much the same way as a medical appointment. So if the retreat is available out of school hours then fine but otherwise he needs permission.

It's wrong to break school rules take take kids on holiday during the term time unless its something minor like 1,2 days. Back in the day, if my parents took me away for a week during my school time, I would be liable for readmission.

Then again, we have a very overpriced childcare scheme in this country which isn't even adequate for most peoples needs.
    Originally posted by DarkShadow

I'm tempted to say that it's not overpriced between the ages of 5 and 16. Many people prize that sort of childcare and get extremely irate when it's not available because of staff training or snow or, god forbid, the child minders go on strike!
    • foxster99
    • By foxster99 23rd May 17, 2:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    foxster99
    I wonder if someone could advise me please as I've not seen my situation arise. My son has special needs and isn't in a full time placement, he goes to a local school/academy for one hour after everyone has gone home. This us whilst we were waiting on an ehcp. This has now been approved so this is the last term here. As he will have another place to go suited for his needs. We've been doing this one hour almost 3yrs. He's year 9 going upto 10. We've never been away, and I've found him the perfect retreat to help ease his anxiety and depression. It's a week before term ends. Will I be fined. Bearing in mind they only keep him on this hour to keep being financed for him plus they couldn't deal with him any other way as they kept excluding him before realising his complex needs, Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Desiderata58
    Sounds pretty unlikely they'd want to fine you.

Just talk to your school face-to-face and give the background and reasons.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,700Posts Today

6,395Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin