Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • IF
    • By IF 3rd Nov 15, 1:59 PM
    • 34,276Posts
    • 87,523Thanks
    IF
    Notice to Newcomers (re Trolls) ~ Part 15
    • 3rd Nov 15, 1:59 PM
    Notice to Newcomers (re Trolls) ~ Part 15 3rd Nov 15 at 1:59 PM
    A long time ago Pania wrote a message to warn new posters and others about occasional 'troll attacks'.
    6 years on and those occasional troll attacks do still happen (with the massive success and size of the forum that is probably inevitable).

Anyway the advice below is based on the original message from Pania on how to deal with this type of post.
    Originally posted by Tixy
    Hi and welcome to the DFW (Debt-Free Wannabe) Board

Every now and then we have had a number of offensive and insensitive comments made on the DFW board.

What do we mean by this?
    A person that posts deliberately provocative, nasty or hurtful comments on threads is know as a Troll. They may be a person with no previous connection to the board, someone that has created a pseudonym to get their point made or a poster who has been a member here for a long time.
    If you should get such a comment made on any thread you post, please realise this comment is not directed at you personally so please ignore these nasty comments and continue to post here as normal because the majority of us really are a lovely bunch – ooops, modesty! That said there are different writing styles; some brief and some harsh but helpful. If you happen to read them when you are not going through such an emotional time, you may find you are not as offended. So if they have upset you please try not to respond angrily. Most people are simply trying to help.

What should I do if I get a comment made on my thread?
    Firstly do not respond to the comment as this is invariably what the troll wants.
    To get rid of the offending post, click on the “Report” icon at the bottom of their post, as shown below:

or

Fill in the form which will alert the MSE team, who will then review its content and deal with it as appropriate; sometimes even deleting the Poster by making their status PPR’d (Posting Privileges Removed). Remember, this site is an asset to so many people, especially those that feels like their world is falling in around them. There is a wealth of knowledgeable people here all willing to help, whatever you do, do not let the comments of one silly individual deter you from availing yourself of the knowledge base that is on offer here.

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE FORUM

It is testament to the work that Martin has done and continues to do that so many people give their time, knowledge and experience freely to others; without judgement, to lift people out of the depths of their debt crisis

PLEASE DO NOT LET THE ACTIONS OF THE MINORITY RUIN THAT
    Last edited by IF; 06-11-2015 at 9:31 AM.
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
Page 87
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 15th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 16,571 Posts
    • 73,024 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Hi and welcome to the DFW (Debt-Free Wannabe) Board
    For more information and links please see page one.

Every now and then we have had a number of offensive and insensitive comments made on the DFW board.

What do we mean by this?
    A person that posts deliberately provocative, nasty or hurtful comments on threads is know as a Troll. They may be a person with no previous connection to the board, someone that has created a pseudonym to get their point made or a poster who has been a member here for a long time.
    If you should get such a comment made on any thread you post, please realise this comment is not directed at you personally so please ignore these nasty comments and continue to post here as normal because the majority of us really are a lovely bunch – ooops, modesty! That said there are different writing styles; some brief and some harsh but helpful. If you happen to read them when you are not going through such an emotional time, you may find you are not as offended. So if they have upset you please try not to respond angrily. Most people are simply trying to help.

What should I do if I get a comment made on my thread?
    Firstly do not respond to the comment as this is invariably what the troll wants.
    To get rid of the offending post, click on the “Report” icon at the bottom of their post, as shown below:

or

Fill in the form which will alert the MSE team, who will then review its content and deal with it as appropriate; sometimes even deleting the Poster by making their status PPR’d (Posting Privileges Removed). Remember, this site is an asset to so many people, especially those that feels like their world is falling in around them. There is a wealth of knowledgeable people here all willing to help, whatever you do, do not let the comments of one silly individual deter you from availing yourself of the knowledge base that is on offer here.

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE FORUM

It is testament to the work that Martin has done and continues to do that so many people give their time, knowledge and experience freely to others; without judgement, to lift people out of the depths of their debt crisis.

PLEASE DO NOT LET THE ACTIONS OF THE MINORITY RUIN THAT
    The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".

In Solidarity: Andy Woodward - Jeremy Corbyn
    Cheap Coffee & Sauce Lover

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 15th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 3,320 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Oh my it's Saturday. I thought it was Sunday. Far too much wine last night!

My poor friend.
    I have known her for 16 yrs. She has had a very troubled life. Her Mother became ill after her Father died, about three years ago. My friend left her job and took a part time job, so that she could help her Mum. Then about a year ago, her Mother had a very bad fall, and became wheelchair bound, she also had memory problems. So my friend had to stop working to care full time for her Mum. Eventually with a lot of fighting with the local council, a two bedroom place was found for them both.
    Now her Mother is in hospital, her health has deteriorated. The social worker at the hospital, wanted to move her Mother to a nursing home miles away. That would make it impossible for my friend to visit, as she doesn't drive. So I said I would fight this move with her. Now the council are making my friend homeless, as she cannot afford the rent, and her Mum's benefits have been taken - 12 weeks in hospital. My friend is in a terrible state, not knowing what to deal with first.
    Any advice please.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 15th Oct 16, 2:27 PM
    • 8,734 Posts
    • 51,889 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    The Benefits and Tax Credits forum might be one place to start.

Your friend's mum's social worker cannot just move her to a nursing home, such things have to be done in consultation with the person (I.e. The mum) and their close family. It sounds like things have got to the stage where your friend will no longer be capable of caring for her mum alone. It is extremely hard work caring for a family member who is totally dependant, and as you specify nursing rather than residential care, then that sounds like the situation has reached that point. Your friend could end up seriously ill or injured herself if she's not careful.

Assuming her mum does go into full time nursing care, your friend has to decide where her own life is going. Can she move to somewhere near the nursing home? Get a council house transfer? Does she have a pension from her previous job? Does she have savings? As I said, the Benefits forum may have some ideas for her to consider. Can the social worker point her in the right direction for financial help? Is there any reason why she can't get a job near Mum? If she was caring for her mum then she must be physically capable of work, and having worked previously she will have some skills to take into a new job. Just some ideas to play around with.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 15th Oct 16, 2:40 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 3,320 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Thank-you Nargleblast. It is emotional support at the moment. But I will be supporting her with all the other decisions. I think she will be allowed an advocate. Her Mum now has dementia, so my friend will be able to make decisions for her Mum. Everything always comes at once - that's life.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 15th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    • 8,734 Posts
    • 51,889 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    It is something that many of us will be faced with sooner or later, deciding on how to care for our elderly parents and at the same time keep our own lives ticking over. Those just starting out on their working lives would be wise to start contributing into a pension (you can't always assume there will be a State pension in years to come) and make sure they have a savings fund in case of emergencies. And don't get into debt (as I did, and as so many people on these forums did). Easier said than done, sometimes, in this Buy Now Pay Later society.

Anyway, must get off the soapbox in case someone else wants to use it.
    Laters, Mouseketeers!

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 8,373 Posts
    • 8,205 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Little bit of slack needed to be cut for this poor fellow today.

Everyone was very quick to jump to the wrong conclusion.

Funny how we always think the worst of people isnt it !!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5541410

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 15th Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    • 4,964 Posts
    • 14,527 Thanks
    Growurown
    Afternoon all. I think we have just turned into a problem page!

Tips - Most councils have housing support depts. might be worth asking for help there, or Shelter is very good too.

Sourcrates - I see your point, but it doesn't feel right to hang onto money that's not yours just because of a mistake. I know priority debts come first and the poster says he will pay the money back, but if the money hadn't been paid into his account in the first place he'd be none the wiser now, and would have still needed to manage his debts.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 15th Oct 16, 5:39 PM
    • 4,964 Posts
    • 14,527 Thanks
    Growurown
    On another note - Oh the curse of the fitbit!!!

OH just got one for the both of us and we have to do 10,000 steps a day and he's been challenged to do 25,000 this weekend. Well I've done my 10,000 today after a long walk with the doggies, I think I deserve cake!

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 15th Oct 16, 5:39 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 3,320 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Thanks Growurown - I love your user name.
    I read the thread too.

I have a problem - a user keeps - you know.
    Just removed a post as I saw it.
    Hounds me is the word.
    I am sure they will read this post, as they have before.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 15th Oct 16, 6:46 PM
    • 16,571 Posts
    • 73,024 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    On another note - Oh the curse of the fitbit!!!

OH just got one for the both of us and we have to do 10,000 steps a day and he's been challenged to do 25,000 this weekend. Well I've done my 10,000 today after a long walk with the doggies, I think I deserve cake!

Originally posted by Growurown

Cake

Good evening Mouseketeers and all
    The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 15th Oct 16, 7:31 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 3,320 Thanks
    Tipsntreats

Bear you deserve lots.

Evening all.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 15th Oct 16, 7:46 PM
    • 16,571 Posts
    • 73,024 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear

Bear you deserve lots.

Evening all.
    Tips x
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats

• Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 16th Oct 16, 9:37 AM
    • 16,571 Posts
    • 73,024 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Good morning Mouseketeer and all

Very very wet here I'll need a boat if I go out I think

• Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 16th Oct 16, 1:11 PM
    • 8,734 Posts
    • 51,889 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Good morning Mouseketeers, lovely roast pork today with apple pie and custard for afters. Bit drizzly today, but what a fabulous full moon last night!

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 16th Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 16,571 Posts
    • 73,024 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Good evening Mouseketeers and all

And goodnight

• Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 17th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 16,571 Posts
    • 73,024 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Good morning Mouseketeers and all

• Growurown
    • By Growurown 17th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    • 4,964 Posts
    • 14,527 Thanks
    Growurown
    Thanks Growurown - I love your user name.
    Why thank you I like to grow my own veg, it keeps you fit and the food hasn't had loads of nasty chemicals sprayed all over it

I have a problem - a user keeps - you know.
    Just removed a post as I saw it.
    Hounds me is the word.
    I am sure they will read this post, as they have before.
    Tips x
    Ah, that sounds really nasty. People must have very sad lives if all they can do is hound people on MSE.

Good morning Mouseketeers, lovely roast pork today with apple pie and custard for afters. Bit drizzly today, but what a fabulous full moon last night!
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    Dinner sounds lovely, mmmmm. Full moon eh? Aaah - now I know why everyone was out of sorts in the pub last night.

Good morning Mouseketeers and all

Originally posted by Upsidedown Bear
    Helloooo Bear! Thanks for the cakes!

• Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 17th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 16,571 Posts
    • 73,024 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Good evening GUO Nargle everyone

• Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 17th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    • 8,734 Posts
    • 51,889 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Good evening, Mouseketeers! Annual leave this week so lots of pottering about, loafing around, picking apples to prepare and freeze for winter puddings, picking crab apples for crab apple jelly and crab apple spiced rum.....taking the hound out for long runs and playing fetch-the-ball.....this is the life!

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 17th Oct 16, 9:07 PM
    • 16,571 Posts
    • 73,024 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Good evening, Mouseketeers! Annual leave this week so lots of pottering about, loafing around, picking apples to prepare and freeze for winter puddings, picking crab apples for crab apple jelly and crab apple spiced rum.....taking the hound out for long runs and playing fetch-the-ball.....this is the life!
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    Loafing around, running with the hound and pottering sounds good to me - enjoy
    Good evening Nargle

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,470Posts Today

6,363Users online

Martin's Twitter