Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • IF
    • By IF 3rd Nov 15, 1:59 PM
    • 34,276Posts
    • 87,523Thanks
    IF
    Notice to Newcomers (re Trolls) ~ Part 15
    • 3rd Nov 15, 1:59 PM
    Notice to Newcomers (re Trolls) ~ Part 15 3rd Nov 15 at 1:59 PM
    A long time ago Pania wrote a message to warn new posters and others about occasional 'troll attacks'.
    6 years on and those occasional troll attacks do still happen (with the massive success and size of the forum that is probably inevitable).

Anyway the advice below is based on the original message from Pania on how to deal with this type of post.
    Originally posted by Tixy
    Hi and welcome to the DFW (Debt-Free Wannabe) Board

Every now and then we have had a number of offensive and insensitive comments made on the DFW board.

What do we mean by this?
    A person that posts deliberately provocative, nasty or hurtful comments on threads is know as a Troll. They may be a person with no previous connection to the board, someone that has created a pseudonym to get their point made or a poster who has been a member here for a long time.
    If you should get such a comment made on any thread you post, please realise this comment is not directed at you personally so please ignore these nasty comments and continue to post here as normal because the majority of us really are a lovely bunch – ooops, modesty! That said there are different writing styles; some brief and some harsh but helpful. If you happen to read them when you are not going through such an emotional time, you may find you are not as offended. So if they have upset you please try not to respond angrily. Most people are simply trying to help.

What should I do if I get a comment made on my thread?
    Firstly do not respond to the comment as this is invariably what the troll wants.
    To get rid of the offending post, click on the “Report” icon at the bottom of their post, as shown below:

or

Fill in the form which will alert the MSE team, who will then review its content and deal with it as appropriate; sometimes even deleting the Poster by making their status PPR’d (Posting Privileges Removed). Remember, this site is an asset to so many people, especially those that feels like their world is falling in around them. There is a wealth of knowledgeable people here all willing to help, whatever you do, do not let the comments of one silly individual deter you from availing yourself of the knowledge base that is on offer here.

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE FORUM

It is testament to the work that Martin has done and continues to do that so many people give their time, knowledge and experience freely to others; without judgement, to lift people out of the depths of their debt crisis

PLEASE DO NOT LET THE ACTIONS OF THE MINORITY RUIN THAT
    Last edited by IF; 06-11-2015 at 9:31 AM.
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
Page 84
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 6th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 51,868 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    My OH has a colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow, and will commence taking the bowel prep stuff at five o clock.

You have heard the expression "The bottom fell out of his world?"

Tonight the world falls out of his bottom.......(Bad Nargle! Been in that situation myself so I should have more sympathy.)
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 6th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 3,264 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    I have started a thread in the right forum.
    Oh so need more cake!
    I am keeping an eye on someone in the Arms, not sure if he victim or perpetrator.
    Tips
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 6th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 51,868 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    It can be entertaining watching some posters getting themselves worked up over a few words on a computer screen. Of course, if anyone oversteps the mark they should be dealt with, and usually are by the PPR system. The secret is not to allow it to invade your real life. The world of the social networking forum is a strange thing.

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 6th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 3,264 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    It doesn't anymore. I know for a fact this user at the Arms has been banned before. He came back with a different user name. His posts at times are quite rude to the OS. But the other posters do taunt him.
    This is the first forum I have ever joined. So much to learn. I do have a lot of friends at the Arms now.
    I am keeping an eye on him. I need to look in discussion, as that is the place he was banned from. Yes he told me. I think he posts without thinking.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 6th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 14,521 Thanks
    Growurown
    Hi and welcome to the DFW (Debt-Free Wannabe) Board
    For more information and links please see page one.

Every now and then we have had a number of offensive and insensitive comments made on the DFW board.

What do we mean by this?
    A person that posts deliberately provocative, nasty or hurtful comments on threads is know as a Troll. They may be a person with no previous connection to the board, someone that has created a pseudonym to get their point made or a poster who has been a member here for a long time.
    If you should get such a comment made on any thread you post, please realise this comment is not directed at you personally so please ignore these nasty comments and continue to post here as normal because the majority of us really are a lovely bunch – ooops, modesty! That said there are different writing styles; some brief and some harsh but helpful. If you happen to read them when you are not going through such an emotional time, you may find you are not as offended. So if they have upset you please try not to respond angrily. Most people are simply trying to help.

What should I do if I get a comment made on my thread?
    Firstly do not respond to the comment as this is invariably what the troll wants.
    To get rid of the offending post, click on the “Report” icon at the bottom of their post, as shown below:

or

Fill in the form which will alert the MSE team, who will then review its content and deal with it as appropriate; sometimes even deleting the Poster by making their status PPR’d (Posting Privileges Removed). Remember, this site is an asset to so many people, especially those that feels like their world is falling in around them. There is a wealth of knowledgeable people here all willing to help, whatever you do, do not let the comments of one silly individual deter you from availing yourself of the knowledge base that is on offer here.

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE FORUM

It is testament to the work that Martin has done and continues to do that so many people give their time, knowledge and experience freely to others; without judgement, to lift people out of the depths of their debt crisis.

PLEASE DO NOT LET THE ACTIONS OF THE MINORITY RUIN THAT
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 6th Oct 16, 9:00 PM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 14,521 Thanks
    Growurown
    My OH has a colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow, and will commence taking the bowel prep stuff at five o clock.

Tonight the world falls out of his bottom.......(Bad Nargle! Been in that situation myself so I should have more sympathy.)
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    Oh Nargle! Bottom jokes, really, your poor OH should have more sympathy. Buy him a cushion to sit on

It doesn't anymore. I know for a fact this user at the Arms has been banned before. He came back with a different user name. His posts at times are quite rude to the OS. But the other posters do taunt him.
    This is the first forum I have ever joined. So much to learn. I do have a lot of friends at the Arms now.
    I am keeping an eye on him. I need to look in discussion, as that is the place he was banned from. Yes he told me. I think he posts without thinking.
    Tips x
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    Oh yes I have come across some pretty nasty people on the Discussion Board. They seem pretty sad individuals to me with very narrow and nasty views. So let them get on with their sad lives and we can eat cake!

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 6th Oct 16, 11:35 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 3,264 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Oh my pigs in chocolate- That is me.
    Go away all of you - It's all mine
    I promise i'll bake another.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 7th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 14,521 Thanks
    Growurown
    Afternoon all. I hope Bear is enjoying her holiday, we miss you Bear!

Well just been shopping, going to have some lunch soon, when I have tidied up the kitchen a bit. No work today so a nice long weekend. Work has been so manic I felt I needed some me time

Hope OH is OK Nargle

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 7th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 3,264 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Now I have come across something odd. I believe there is a user with two user names. He is complaining about being trolled, but it is NOT true. They are both him. I don't find this at all funny. For someone like me and others, who did experience the upset, it is rubbing our noses in it.
    What do you all think?
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 7th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 51,868 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Afternoon all. I hope Bear is enjoying her holiday, we miss you Bear!

Hope OH is OK Nargle
    Originally posted by Growurown
    Yes, he got through the procedure, had quite a large polyp removed so they want to scope him again in three months to check things are still ok. Lucky him!

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 7th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 51,868 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Tipsntreats - if all the evidence points to what you believe then you could report the individual concerned and let the powers that be in MSE Towers sort it out. Alternatively if said individual winds you up too much then put him/her/it on Ignore so you no longer have to suffer reading that person's posts. Life is too short to allow yourself to be upset by idiots.

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 8th Oct 16, 12:30 AM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 14,521 Thanks
    Growurown
    Evening everyone. I have been to Colston Hall in Bristol tonight to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. They were brilliant, very entertaining and funny. They certainly don't take themselves too seriously!

https://youtu.be/pLgJ7pk0X-s

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 8th Oct 16, 1:07 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 3,264 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Nargleblast they are NEVER nasty to me. Now I am doubting my first thoughts. I really think it is someone else winding the person up. I will send a link, if I see anymore.

Hi everyone.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 8th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 14,521 Thanks
    Growurown
    Nargleblast they are NEVER nasty to me. Now I am doubting my first thoughts. I really think it is someone else winding the person up. I will send a link, if I see anymore.

Hi everyone.
    Tips x
    Yes good idea Tips.

Well evening everyone Tonight I've been to the cinema to see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's the new Tim Burton film. I liked it, but I think it was a bit slow for some of the children in the cinema. Some of them seemed to get bored and fidgety.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

• Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 8th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 51,868 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Got a bargain in a charity shop today, a fine wool long sleeved top in a teal shade, only two quid. Also got some free entertainment and exercise today - ever tried getting a reluctant collie dog to stand still under the shower whilst you shampoo her? It was worth it, her coat is lovely and silky now, and judging by the numerous attempts to lick my face I think she has forgiven me.

Keep on mouseketeering!

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 9th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 3,264 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    No sign of him for two days. I will keep looking.
    Nice thread this one, I like the no arguments, it is refreshing.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 9th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 14,521 Thanks
    Growurown
    Evening everyone.

Got a bargain in a charity shop today, a fine wool long sleeved top in a teal shade, only two quid. Also got some free entertainment and exercise today - ever tried getting a reluctant collie dog to stand still under the shower whilst you shampoo her? It was worth it, her coat is lovely and silky now, and judging by the numerous attempts to lick my face I think she has forgiven me.

Keep on mouseketeering!
    Well done on your bargain Nargle, I've had some very good deals in charity shops, all very MSE

Ah yes bathing the dog, always a very messy affair involving me getting wet too. We have two short haired doggies so can't say they come out all silky but they don't half smell better

No sign of him for two days. I will keep looking.
    Nice thread this one, I like the no arguments, it is refreshing.
    Tips x
    Never any arguments here Tips! Unless of course someone has scoffed all the cake and not shared

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 10th Oct 16, 8:03 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 3,264 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Detective Tips reporting

There is a thread at the Arms where someone is getting some rather bad posts.
    Three years ago the person put up a thread admitting he hit his girlfriend. The current thread at the Arms is about him being lonely. Of course someone brought up the other one.
    I have posted suggesting he starts a thread in Marriage, relationships ......
    I also said that the Arms was not for anything other than fun. It is difficult trying to help, but everyone deserves a second chance.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    • 8,335 Posts
    • 8,170 Thanks
    sourcrates

Oh I've been there myself to, horrid things those tablets.

Just to compound matters, it was 3 young ladies doing the procedure on me, big blushes !!!!!

All was well in the end though !!

Good reason for cake methinks !!!

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 10th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 8,729 Posts
    • 51,868 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Evening everyone.

Well done on your bargain Nargle, I've had some very good deals in charity shops, all very MSE

Ah yes bathing the dog, always a very messy affair involving me getting wet too. We have two short haired doggies so can't say they come out all silky but they don't half smell better

Never any arguments here Tips! Unless of course someone has scoffed all the cake and not shared
    Originally posted by Growurown
    Now don't you start looking at me and casting nasturtiums.......

December NSDs. 00 of 15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

693Posts Today

4,164Users online

Martin's Twitter