Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • IF
    • By IF 3rd Nov 15, 1:59 PM
    • 34,276Posts
    • 87,523Thanks
    IF
    Notice to Newcomers (re Trolls) ~ Part 15
    • 3rd Nov 15, 1:59 PM
    Notice to Newcomers (re Trolls) ~ Part 15 3rd Nov 15 at 1:59 PM
    A long time ago Pania wrote a message to warn new posters and others about occasional 'troll attacks'.
    6 years on and those occasional troll attacks do still happen (with the massive success and size of the forum that is probably inevitable).

Anyway the advice below is based on the original message from Pania on how to deal with this type of post.
    Originally posted by Tixy
    Hi and welcome to the DFW (Debt-Free Wannabe) Board

Every now and then we have had a number of offensive and insensitive comments made on the DFW board.

What do we mean by this?
    A person that posts deliberately provocative, nasty or hurtful comments on threads is know as a Troll. They may be a person with no previous connection to the board, someone that has created a pseudonym to get their point made or a poster who has been a member here for a long time.
    If you should get such a comment made on any thread you post, please realise this comment is not directed at you personally so please ignore these nasty comments and continue to post here as normal because the majority of us really are a lovely bunch – ooops, modesty! That said there are different writing styles; some brief and some harsh but helpful. If you happen to read them when you are not going through such an emotional time, you may find you are not as offended. So if they have upset you please try not to respond angrily. Most people are simply trying to help.

What should I do if I get a comment made on my thread?
    Firstly do not respond to the comment as this is invariably what the troll wants.
    To get rid of the offending post, click on the “Report” icon at the bottom of their post, as shown below:

or

Fill in the form which will alert the MSE team, who will then review its content and deal with it as appropriate; sometimes even deleting the Poster by making their status PPR’d (Posting Privileges Removed). Remember, this site is an asset to so many people, especially those that feels like their world is falling in around them. There is a wealth of knowledgeable people here all willing to help, whatever you do, do not let the comments of one silly individual deter you from availing yourself of the knowledge base that is on offer here.

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE FORUM

It is testament to the work that Martin has done and continues to do that so many people give their time, knowledge and experience freely to others; without judgement, to lift people out of the depths of their debt crisis

PLEASE DO NOT LET THE ACTIONS OF THE MINORITY RUIN THAT
    Last edited by IF; 06-11-2015 at 9:31 AM.
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
Page 134
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 20th Apr 17, 5:19 PM
    • 17,760 Posts
    • 77,507 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Hi and welcome to the DFW (Debt-Free Wannabe) Board
    For more information and links please see page one.

Every now and then we have had a number of offensive and insensitive comments made on the DFW board.

What do we mean by this?
    A person that posts deliberately provocative, nasty or hurtful comments on threads is know as a Troll. They may be a person with no previous connection to the board, someone that has created a pseudonym to get their point made or a poster who has been a member here for a long time.
    If you should get such a comment made on any thread you post, please realise this comment is not directed at you personally so please ignore these nasty comments and continue to post here as normal because the majority of us really are a lovely bunch – ooops, modesty! That said there are different writing styles; some brief and some harsh but helpful. If you happen to read them when you are not going through such an emotional time, you may find you are not as offended. So if they have upset you please try not to respond angrily. Most people are simply trying to help.

What should I do if I get a comment made on my thread?
    Firstly do not respond to the comment as this is invariably what the troll wants.
    To get rid of the offending post, click on the “Report” icon at the bottom of their post, as shown below:

or

Fill in the form which will alert the MSE team, who will then review its content and deal with it as appropriate; sometimes even deleting the Poster by making their status PPR’d (Posting Privileges Removed). Remember, this site is an asset to so many people, especially those that feels like their world is falling in around them. There is a wealth of knowledgeable people here all willing to help, whatever you do, do not let the comments of one silly individual deter you from availing yourself of the knowledge base that is on offer here.

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE FORUM

It is testament to the work that Martin has done and continues to do that so many people give their time, knowledge and experience freely to others; without judgement, to lift people out of the depths of their debt crisis.

PLEASE DO NOT LET THE ACTIONS OF THE MINORITY RUIN THAT
    The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".
    Das ist der beste tag meines lebens
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 20th Apr 17, 5:21 PM
    • 17,760 Posts
    • 77,507 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    First post in this thread, just to say that I officially hate you now.

*wishes it was Friday already!*
    Originally posted by StopIt
    Would cake make you hate me less?

Hello and welcome
    The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 20th Apr 17, 7:16 PM
    • 7,962 Posts
    • 9,901 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Good evening all
    Hello from me Stopit.
    Bear you are such a tease Friday is my favourite day - not long to wait now.
    I am stuffed with cake from today. So not to leave all the lovely people out
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 20th Apr 17, 10:49 PM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 14,940 Thanks
    Growurown
    Evening Mouseketeers! Sorry I have been MIA, been visiting family.

Growing strawberries Tips - pretty easy but loved by slugs and snails so I try and grow them off the ground in pots but then you need to water them more. People even grow them in guttering which you can attach to a fence, very space saving

If you grow them in the ground they say to put straw under the plants to keep the fruit off the ground so they don't rot.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 21st Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    • 686 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    StopIt
    Would cake make you hate me less?

Hello and welcome
    Originally posted by Upsidedown Bear
    Thank you for the welcome!

Cake always helps, and at least it actually is Friday now!

Maybe I was a little grumpy after my DD has decided that 5:30am is a good time to wake up this week. She's only 7 months old and has learned how to shout to announce that she is awake! Better than crying but still tiring

Happy Friday all.
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 21st Apr 17, 9:44 AM
    • 17,760 Posts
    • 77,507 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Good morning Mouseketeers and all

Cheap Coffee Lover

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 21st Apr 17, 11:24 AM
    • 7,962 Posts
    • 9,901 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Good Morning lovely people
    Strawberries in the gutter - Mmmmm, I think I will try pots.

Have a lovely day everyone. I will pop back later, with a little something.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 21st Apr 17, 12:31 PM
    • 11,204 Posts
    • 10,870 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Dont put the winter woollies away just yet folks.

THIS is forecast for next week :

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 21st Apr 17, 4:13 PM
    • 7,962 Posts
    • 9,901 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    sourcrates thanx for that.

I am having some technical issues with this site. So having cleared the cookies, I thought you all might like some.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 22nd Apr 17, 3:45 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 2,566 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Good morning everyone

Great to see you all, and to celebrate the weekend, I brought some treats too!

Enjoy! Wishing you all a great weekend
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Aug] £58.44 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 July NSDs 19/15CCCChl 7/12 months
    July PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 22nd Apr 17, 8:39 AM
    • 17,760 Posts
    • 77,507 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Good morning all

Cake for breakfast Thanks Jo Blogs
    Have a good weekend all
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 22nd Apr 17, 12:58 PM
    • 7,962 Posts
    • 9,901 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Good Afternoon
    Thanks for leaving some cake for me bear.
    Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 22nd Apr 17, 8:09 PM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 14,940 Thanks
    Growurown
    Evening Mouseketeers, hope everyone has had a good day. Been really hot and sunny here, I'm hoping we don't get snow next week though!

Thanks for the cake and cookies everyone!

• Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 22nd Apr 17, 8:38 PM
    • 9,185 Posts
    • 53,848 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Good evening, Mouseketeers, some cold nights coming in the Land of Nargle over the next few days. That means my little strawberry plants are resting on a sunny windowsill and will have to wait to be planted out. I am hoping I have better luck with strawberry plants than tomatoes.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

July NSDs. 12 of 15
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 23rd Apr 17, 10:25 AM
    • 17,760 Posts
    • 77,507 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Good morning Mouseketeers and all

Cheap Coffee Lover

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 23rd Apr 17, 10:54 AM
    • 11,204 Posts
    • 10,870 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Morning all !!

My 1st weeks holiday has not slipped idly by.

My conifer hedge has been looking more like the new forest of late.

A little quip from my neighbor saying he had to put his kitchen light on during the day to see anything, was the straw that broke the camels back, so sourcrates sprang into action.

My 26ft hedge, is now 6ft (again), one day lopping, and two days carting the remains away by car.

Then another half day cleaning out the car, but it is done, and i am proud of my efforts.

Now i can sit back, relax, and watch it grow again lol !!!

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 23rd Apr 17, 12:00 PM
    • 17,760 Posts
    • 77,507 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Morning all !!

My 1st weeks holiday has not slipped idly by.

My conifer hedge has been looking more like the new forest of late.

A little quip from my neighbor saying he had to put his kitchen light on during the day to see anything, was the straw that broke the camels back, so sourcrates sprang into action.

My 26ft hedge, is now 6ft (again), one day lopping, and two days carting the remains away by car.

Then another half day cleaning out the car, but it is done, and i am proud of my efforts.

Now i can sit back, relax, and watch it grow again lol !!!

Originally posted by sourcrates
    Hello

That's really impressive, well done

Hope it doesn't grow as fast now
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• Growurown
    • By Growurown 23rd Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 14,940 Thanks
    Growurown
    Afternoon everyone. I thought I had posted this morning but obviously not!

Impressive hedge work there sourcrates! How do feel about brambles?

Off to do a bit more in the garden, trying not to think about work tomorrow as it is been really pants lately, and not likely to get any better

I am cheered up though by copious amounts of cake

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 23rd Apr 17, 3:38 PM
    • 7,962 Posts
    • 9,901 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Good Afternoon everyone.
    Well done Sourcrates. I wish my neighbours would lop down the towering holly tree, that used to be a hedge. It bothers my other neighbours far more than me.

Enjoy the rest of the day all.
    I might save you all some Roast Beef.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 23rd Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    • 17,760 Posts
    • 77,507 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Afternoon everyone. I thought I had posted this morning but obviously not!

Impressive hedge work there sourcrates! How do feel about brambles?

Off to do a bit more in the garden, trying not to think about work tomorrow as it is been really pants lately, and not likely to get any better

I am cheered up though by copious amounts of cake
    Originally posted by Growurown
    Hello

I keep doing the same thing - thinking I've posted on here then finding I haven't

Sorry to hear work is rubbish

Hope this makes it a bit better

Cheap Coffee Lover

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,787Posts Today

8,800Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin