Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugalfamily3
    • By Frugalfamily3 2nd Nov 15, 6:27 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 165Thanks
    Frugalfamily3
    5 years and counting to freedom!
    • 2nd Nov 15, 6:27 PM
    5 years and counting to freedom! 2nd Nov 15 at 6:27 PM
    After a break of almost a year from reading and contributing to forums I have forgotten my password and my email account used within is no longer accessible so I'm starting from scratch with a different username etc.

My circumstances are different since last year. My partner and I have sold our respective houses and bought one together. As a result we now have two incomes to pay the mortgage, and with 9 years to go on it, I want to pay it off in 5 max! That way we can retire when we want to, not when the bills tell us

So, itching to get started on overpaying I counted up my loose change yesterday, and adding that to a car tax refund from my old car I'm on the way with £110 ready to pay in on Friday (when I can next get to bank). I've also applied for Internet banking for the mortgage account and will link that to my current account asap so I can Tilly tidy

I'll get back later to add a to do list here and read some diaries to keep myself motivated with money saving. In the meantime it's great to be back and sending a wave to fellow MFW’s everywhere. Let the fun and positivity begin!!!
Page 3
    • lavinia21
    • By lavinia21 29th Dec 16, 11:52 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,959 Thanks
    lavinia21
    Hi FF3 no need to feel dispondant you might not achieved everything you wanted as the saying goes it doesn't matter how many time you fall down its about the times you get it. Will be reading your journey with interest keep on going.
    Positivity is the key there is a reason why life happens. Find your rainbow and ride it.
    • selloptape
    • By selloptape 29th Dec 16, 6:33 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    selloptape
    You can keep it up FF3

I'm a lapser as well, back for 2017

#49 MFW 2017 0/£2k

#21 MFiT T4 - reduce mortgage by £20k over 3 years
    • Frugalfamily3
    • By Frugalfamily3 29th Dec 16, 9:11 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Frugalfamily3
    Thanks for your encouragement Lavinia21 and Selloptape. I'm going to do my best to keep this determination going.xx

NSD today. Took packed lunch to work today, and have two £2 coins to put in the OP pot .
    Mortgage: £58,200 @ 3.89% (7.5 years left, aim for 4)
    • Frugalfamily3
    • By Frugalfamily3 30th Dec 16, 8:18 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Frugalfamily3
    Just peeped out of the window this morning and it's not frozen out there thank goodness. I had a very frosty drive to work yesterday. But today I'm on leave, and meeting friends in town for drinks and lunch. Not very mfw but it's the only social event outside the house I'm going to over the festive season so not too bad I think.

This morning I'm meal planning for at least the next 2 weeks. We have so much food it's obscene lol. Thank goodness for my three freezers and two fridges! I'll also do a Tilly tidy of the mortgage account. Happy days.
    • Frugalfamily3
    • By Frugalfamily3 31st Dec 16, 9:27 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Frugalfamily3
    Am a happy, but confused bunny today. I made a £43.99 overpayment yesterday to round the mortgage balance to the nearest tenner, but today, there's been interest added, but the balance hasn't reflected the money gone in. It was 61,843.99 and now it's 61,850!! How can the total go up when the banks closed, but the OP not be reflected? Confused!!!

Ah well. Happy New Year to one and all xx
    Last edited by Frugalfamily3; 01-01-2017 at 9:07 AM.
    • Frugalfamily3
    • By Frugalfamily3 3rd Jan 17, 9:39 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Frugalfamily3
    Oh dear, a nsd today was the intention and so I took lunch to work. However a colleague going to the canteen tempted me and as if by magic, a portion of potato wedges landed on my desk! A pound came out of my purse and a few more pounds were added to my waistline ....

#wishihadwillpower#
    • niftythrifty33
    • By niftythrifty33 4th Jan 17, 3:48 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    niftythrifty33
    I have subscribed to your thread
    Mortgage (2004) - orig £78,000 - now £47,980
    Home loan (2004)- orig £10,000 - now £2,393
    Total - £50,373
    OP's since March 2015 Total £1,144
    Small steps with a small budget!
    • Frugalfamily3
    • By Frugalfamily3 8th Jan 17, 11:10 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Frugalfamily3
    Hi Niftythrifty (great name by the way). and thanks for being interested in my ramblings.

Well, I've not done anything penny pinching since my last post, BUT today's the day all that changes!!! Positivity and all that.... so I've made a list to be completed in the week ahead. So here goes.

* Call CC company to get my online access back - I got locked out due to my own stupidity putting in the wrong password a month ago, and I need to know my balance after Christmas.
    * look for a better energy deal as current contract for gas and electricity is ending.
    * Aim for 5 no spend days out of the next 7.
    * Take coins to bank and overpay mortgage with it.
    * update meal plan for the next week.

Right, I better get going with that! Busy busy....
    Last edited by Frugalfamily3; 08-01-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    • Frugalfamily3
    • By Frugalfamily3 8th Jan 17, 8:06 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Frugalfamily3
    Ooohh I blasted my list!!! Positivity rocks!!!!!

* Call CC company to get my online access back - DONE
    * look for a better energy deal as current contract for gas and electricity is ending. DONE AND WILL FINALIZE TRANSFER TOMORROW
    * update meal plan for the next week. DONE FOR TWO WEEKS
    • Frugalfamily3
    • By Frugalfamily3 4th Feb 17, 12:25 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Frugalfamily3
    Back to my old tricks again, not updating my diary for weeks! To be honest there's no news really. Still plugging away at saving money, failing more than I'd like but hey ho. We managed to knock £40 off the gas/ electric monthly bill starting March. And saved a decent chunk when we renewed the house insurance. Well pleased!

We had to buy 2 double beds for the spare bedrooms a couple of weeks ago, do that's flattened any idea of overpaying the mortgage this month! Still, we knew that expense was coming. We don't pay council tax thus or next month so that's almost £400, plus a rebate from the old energy supplier. Of about £200 I think we're due. So that's offset a good chunk of the bed money.

Apart from that, I'm batch cooking meals for the week and freezing them today, updated menu plan too. Hopefully I'll be able to overpay again before too long!
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 4th Feb 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Despite you saying that you're failing it sounds like you're doing pretty well to me!£40 a month saved on your gas/electric is great

Even if you plan to have 4/7 no spend days but in fact only do 3/7 I wouldn't view that as failure as it's 3 more than if you weren't trying at all
    Emergency savings- £3005. /£4000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90% end date Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £1292.90/ £2150. 60%
    Jan- £68.21, Feb- £306.67, March- £272.01 April-£324.05 May £120.33 June £201.63
    • Frugalfamily3
    • By Frugalfamily3 4th Feb 17, 11:31 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Frugalfamily3
    Thanks Kittenkirst. X
    • letsdothisnow
    • By letsdothisnow 9th Feb 17, 8:34 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    letsdothisnow
    Great dairy frugal, stick at it your doing really well
    • Frugalfamily3
    • By Frugalfamily3 19th Feb 17, 7:49 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Frugalfamily3
    Good morning
    I feel accomplished this weekend! Not only have I Tilly tidied the mortgage balance by overpaying £19.88 into it, we got £35 of Tesc@ club card vouchers from e@n after we left them, cos we had never claimed them on our account. I spotted that when we were looking at switching from them and claimed the 2 years worth.
    Oh, and one more thing. I'm expecting a bit of a payback from E@n as our account was well in credit when I looked. No idea how long that'll take though.
    Oh, oh and the last bit of money news is that I've cancelled my garden compass membership (£24 per year), my amazon unlimited (£7.99 a month) and iTunes subscription (£9.99 a month). Not bad eh?

Between all that and filling a bin bag with clutter from my wardrobes, it's not been a bad few days of positives!
    • Frugalfamily3
    • By Frugalfamily3 18th Apr 17, 6:02 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Frugalfamily3
    Well Easter's been and gone, the days are getting longer and...**drum roll** we've overpaid the mortgage to the tune of £450 this month!!!

I've used the MSE mortgage overpayment calculator to work out that by overpaying £400 a month, we can knock 3 years off the term! So could be on track to pay it all off in just under 5 years. Not bad eh? I'm on a mission now, but realise with the first grandchild on the way, plus a holiday to pay for, we might not be able do overpay that amount all the time, but I'm determined to try

No other news of any significance really, except that according to Z00pla, our house has gone up in value by £20,000 in the last 2 years!
    #feelingfocussed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,912Posts Today

8,952Users online

Martin's Twitter