Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 28th Oct 15, 9:15 PM
    • 1,328Posts
    • 2,023Thanks
    another casualty
    Quit everything , and start again over 50?
    • 28th Oct 15, 9:15 PM
    Quit everything , and start again over 50? 28th Oct 15 at 9:15 PM
    Hello everyone. Haven't been on here for a few years, but this is my second thread tonight
    My situation: Lovely 2 bedroom maissonette in Twickenham , complete with garden and parking space .
    Know virtually nobody here now . (people moving away etc)

Working : permanently employed Salary £24,500 + ot

Debts: inc. mortgage £105,000 approx

Property worth : £400,000 approx.

I have had 7-8 years of hell , and I know I'm not the only one
    Haven't had a holiday for years. Been in debt for years, before getting a DMP in 2012.
    My friends are moving away / married etc.
    The place of employment , was a place I didn't want to be in for many years . Joined as a temp in the recession 2007 , and made perm 2009. Things have improved in one way, but are bad in another. For example, my backstabbing colleague and my self get on now since 2012. My boss retired , and now the Personnel officer
    is now my boss.She is rude and incompetent.
    My health suffered last year, and I now have Myasthenia Gravis and am slowly getting back on the mend via steroids.Oh, and I put my brother up for 5 years. He paid £400 a month, but not all at once and I was always chasing him. He was a nightmare , but I have my space back now
    So, with all of the above , I do wonder if I should just quit and start again.BTW, my boss criticised my appointments, I snapped and am now on a final warning for 2 years. I didn't swear/threaten etc. I just shouted as colleague to boss.
    My friends say that I cannot afford to live in London and should buy a place somewhere else and put a sum of money away.
    They even say that I could sell my flat and go travelling for a couple of months. Am I too old for this now?

I must admit I am getting fed up of London , but I have lived there all of the time , mainly the Borough and Twickenham.
    I wouldn't want to move to anywhere else in London . Twickenham is very pricey as you know.

Please feel free with suggestions you may have, and thanks for looking

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 31-08-2016 at 1:02 PM.
Page 103
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 14th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    We have just taken delivery of 50 bxes and wrapping paper from the removal company for my daughter who is moving next Friday
    They are provded as part of the removal service
    Mind you judgng the amount she has in her house she will have tp get them to drop another 100 off
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    another casualty
    We have just taken delivery of 50 bxes and wrapping paper from the removal company for my daughter who is moving next Friday
    They are provded as part of the removal service
    Mind you judgng the amount she has in her house she will have tp get them to drop another 100 off
    Originally posted by Debsnewbudget
    I know the felling
    • thegreenone
    • By thegreenone 14th Oct 16, 5:39 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    thegreenone
    AC, have you had any quotes from removal companies? Get some in and find out what they provide. Sorry if I've missed any posts.
    2016 £2 Saver's club: £54/£250
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Oct 16, 6:55 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    another casualty
    AC, have you had any quotes from removal companies? Get some in and find out what they provide. Sorry if I've missed any posts.
    Originally posted by thegreenone
    Don't be sorry, and thanks
    I looked at a few .unfortunately , one company got my details but keep ringing . They ring at the wrong time .
    I did mention before , that maybe using a removal company that is based in Poole , could be something to consider .
    When I get a date ( if all goes well ) , i will look into everything .

Not heard anything from my solicitor , which IMHO is good .
    It probably means , once the property mgt co send everything both sets of solicitors need to see ( and there are no other issues)
    a completion date will follow
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 15th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 7,048 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Do consider Brittannia, and similar nationwide chains, they have companies in their networks that are based all over. The guys who moved us from W London to almost Scotland were from several depots - the packers were local, the guys who ran the project and drove were from Manchester. And they were fabulous - I was lucky and OH's company paid the not inconsiderable bill but I would use them again based on the service even if I couldn't afford the full service option.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Oct 16, 4:57 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks joey��
    Had a day with my brother yesterday . Good day, but I was very tired, and my speech was going a bit late afternoon onwards. He wears me out, without realising. We got on OK, but I have to keep repeating myself constantly when trying to help him with stuff.
    Due to poor sleep pattern of late I guess. Lucky that in work, my speech is more or less fine . Had a horribld dream, where I was struggling to move my tongue. Thankfully, it was only a dream
    Almost 5am. Been awake about 2 and a half hours. Fell asleep listening to radio on iPad , and forgot to turn it off.
    May sleep later
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Oct 16, 9:46 AM
    • 8,700 Posts
    • 48,376 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning AC. Sorry to hear that you are having another rough night. Maybe take it easy today and have a nap at some point.

Your brother sounds a bit like my father, one of those people who just drain you of all energy. I'm afraid there are people like this, an encounter with them just leaves you feeling like a limp rag. Energy drainers are best taken in small doses.

Don't forget you have had several weeks of broken sleep so it's bound to have a knock on effect. Hopefully you will feel a bit more relaxed once you have exchanged contracts and everything is more concrete.
    You will be able to take control then and get organised. I'm sure your sleep will improve then.

It's a miserable day here. Managed to clean out the sheds, and give the garden a final tidy up before winter. Glad that's done. Was going to go out for a day in the Peak District today but not much point in this weather so I'll just have a catch-up day and get on with some cleaning.

Oh the excitement!!!!

Keep your chin up, remember you are British.....stiff upper lip and all that.

Not long now, you just need to ride it out.

Just think another couple of months from now and you will be out of the rat race.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 16-10-2016 at 9:49 AM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Oct 16, 11:06 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks LL . Yep. Your father / my brother = good comparison
    I'm actually keeping calm in this sticky period .
    Once contracts exchanged then of course , panic will ensue
    The funny thing will be handing my notice in. I think I have between 2-3 weeks holiday , and out of that will need 3 days almost immediately

I'll get there
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Oct 16, 11:26 AM
    • 8,700 Posts
    • 48,376 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Just discovered I'm running low on coffee That will never do

So going to forget the housework. Mañana.

I shall get my glad rags on and hit the shops. Maybe have a mooch round a couple of charity shops and look for bargains.

Tarra a bit.......(West Midlands speak for Bye for now).
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 16th Oct 16, 4:04 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    Smodlet
    LL is bob-on. That's all the Derbyshire I know... thanks be.
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Oct 16, 9:03 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    another casualty
    So, today is the 17th of October . I assume the info from the property mgt co has been passed over .
    If all's well, maybe I'll hear midweek of exchanging contracts .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    another casualty
    Also 2 weeks till the end of the month.
    Hurry up..
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Oct 16, 7:45 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    another casualty
    I wonder how long it takes , between exchange and completion ?
    I thought maybe 2,weeks .
    First I was afraid , I was petrified ...now I wish it would hurry up
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 18th Oct 16, 8:10 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    Exchange and completion can be done on the same day.
    Not too bad for you with just the two parties involved but with a longer chain it can mean you are sat in the removal van on the driveway all packed up waiting for the phone to ring to say it has gone through.
    Now that IS stress
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    another casualty
    Well, I won't be wanting that . I'll just cross my fingers for the end of October , or a little sooner
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 18th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Good morning AC, all. There are plenty of horror stories on the House buying/selling/renting board about exchange and completion happening on the same day. If your sale completes before your purchase, you are technically homeless... now that is stress, especially when you factor in incompetent conveyancers. At least you know your solicitor, AC, so that should not happen plus, you will have somewhere to rent lined up by then, won't you?

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 18th Oct 16, 9:46 AM
    • 8,700 Posts
    • 48,376 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Just a quickie.....gotta dash.

AC. Do not go for exchange and completion on same day. You will need at least a week, preferably longer.

Catch up later.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks LL / smodlet .
    I intend to exchange this week and complete end of oct, or a week before
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 18th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    Smodlet
    There are not even two weeks left of October, not quite! AC, do you actually have anywhere lined up to rent? You will have to leave on the day you complete so...

• another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    another casualty
    No smodlet . I'm sticking to my plan .just stuck , mainly because of property mgt co.
    Just gave chase Buchanan a call. He agrees with me .
    Don't know if it's true , but he said I sold at the right time and that in my price bracket prices are being dropped by as much as 10%.

I feel better now that I've spoken to him .
    This is the 3rd time I've used my solicitor , and am impressed with him as I have always been.
    May find out by Friday , my destiny
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,821Posts Today

7,309Users online

Martin's Twitter