Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 28th Oct 15, 9:15 PM
    • 1,298Posts
    • 1,964Thanks
    another casualty
    Quit everything , and start again over 50?
    • 28th Oct 15, 9:15 PM
    Quit everything , and start again over 50? 28th Oct 15 at 9:15 PM
    Hello everyone. Haven't been on here for a few years, but this is my second thread tonight
    My situation: Lovely 2 bedroom maissonette in Twickenham , complete with garden and parking space .
    Know virtually nobody here now . (people moving away etc)

Working : permanently employed Salary £24,500 + ot

Debts: inc. mortgage £105,000 approx

Property worth : £400,000 approx.

I have had 7-8 years of hell , and I know I'm not the only one
    Haven't had a holiday for years. Been in debt for years, before getting a DMP in 2012.
    My friends are moving away / married etc.
    The place of employment , was a place I didn't want to be in for many years . Joined as a temp in the recession 2007 , and made perm 2009. Things have improved in one way, but are bad in another. For example, my backstabbing colleague and my self get on now since 2012. My boss retired , and now the Personnel officer
    is now my boss.She is rude and incompetent.
    My health suffered last year, and I now have Myasthenia Gravis and am slowly getting back on the mend via steroids.Oh, and I put my brother up for 5 years. He paid £400 a month, but not all at once and I was always chasing him. He was a nightmare , but I have my space back now
    So, with all of the above , I do wonder if I should just quit and start again.BTW, my boss criticised my appointments, I snapped and am now on a final warning for 2 years. I didn't swear/threaten etc. I just shouted as colleague to boss.
    My friends say that I cannot afford to live in London and should buy a place somewhere else and put a sum of money away.
    They even say that I could sell my flat and go travelling for a couple of months. Am I too old for this now?

I must admit I am getting fed up of London , but I have lived there all of the time , mainly the Borough and Twickenham.
    I wouldn't want to move to anywhere else in London . Twickenham is very pricey as you know.

Please feel free with suggestions you may have, and thanks for looking

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 31-08-2016 at 1:02 PM.
Page 102
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thanks, AC... at the risk of double entendres (I genuinely don't know this, despite OH's guitar prowess) wtf is a "whammy bar"?

ETA: OMG, does he mean (what I used to call) a bridge lever? Smodlet out of loop and way uncool.
    Last edited by Smodlet; 12-10-2016 at 5:02 PM.
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks, AC... at the risk of double entendres (I genuinely don't know this, despite OH's guitar prowess) wtf is a "whammy bar"?

ETA: OMG, does he mean (what I used to call) a bridge lever? Smodlet out of loop and way uncool.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    It's that long metal bar that you see some guitarists use when soloing . Think Ritchie Blackmore ( stratocader guitar ).
    Most metal heads use them
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Oct 16, 9:22 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Yeah, I remember now. I remember watching John Norum (Europe's original guitar player) with his whammy bar "disengaged"? It was hanging straight down and flapping around with his every movement, iyswim... I pointed at the screen (it was a vid, not live, thank the gods) and yelled, "His thing's gone limp!"

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Oct 16, 10:07 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    another casualty
    the Metallica moth vid I mentioned . Check ou the solo
    • wendym
    • By wendym 12th Oct 16, 10:45 PM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 3,472 Thanks
    wendym
    I take a short break, and the tone lowers, thanks mainly to Smodlet.

I went for the moral high ground with the stairlift, and today have been offered a complete replacement, from scratch. So onward and upward, rather than sideways.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Oct 16, 4:04 AM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    Smodlet
    You are quite welcome, wendym. The moral high ground should be easier to reach, with a new stairlift.

• another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Oct 16, 6:20 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    another casualty
    I take a short break, and the tone lowers, thanks mainly to Smodlet.

I went for the moral high ground with the stairlift, and today have been offered a complete replacement, from scratch. So onward and upward, rather than sideways.
    Originally posted by wendym
    Hope it works out for you Wendy
    After a strange night last night ( smelly , surly staff at pricey pub on the emankment. Plus trying to cope with an aggressive drunk while waiting for a bus Iin twickenham ), I am wondering and hoping all is on track with my buyers .
    Last edited by another casualty; 13-10-2016 at 6:24 AM.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 13th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I wish you so well AC, I don't comment often but hope the rest of your sale goes through without too much bother. I love London (once a year), and have even been to Twickenham (to see Lady Gaga ). My Uncle lives in Corfe Mullen, Poole, ... I hope you will be very happy there. We have thought bout moving to the south, but are quite settled for now in our northern seaside area.

Your thread has been a fantastic web of advice and encouragement from the start.
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £168060
    Car loan finished oct 16
    h@lifax CC £5360 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    another casualty
    I wish you so well AC, I don't comment often but hope the rest of your sale goes through without too much bother. I love London (once a year), and have even been to Twickenham (to see Lady Gaga ). My Uncle lives in Corfe Mullen, Poole, ... I hope you will be very happy there. We have thought bout moving to the south, but are quite settled for now in our northern seaside area.

Your thread has been a fantastic web of advice and encouragement from the start.
    Originally posted by Moneyfordreams
    Thanks very much
    Once a year in London is enough.
    This thread, is great due to all of your help and advice
    Thanks
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    another casualty
    So, this week has been slow everywhere .
    No news from solicitor . Expected to hear something. Then again, I expect that to be down to the property mgt co,and the first time buyers looking for a quote on fascia .
    No drink tonight. I don't mind , as I'm always tired these days
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 13th Oct 16, 7:05 PM
    • 1,375 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    jaybee
    Ooh! I'm in Corfe Mullen too!
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 13th Oct 16, 11:21 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    copperjar
    Why don't you give your solicitor a call AC and check what's happening. I find I spend a lot of time thinking about what could be happening with my sale/purchase and could just ask! Your solicitor also seems a bit more proactive than mine!
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Oct 16, 4:16 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    another casualty
    TBH , copper jar I realise that he is on the case and he will let me know when he needs to. As with most conveyancers he has probably got a huge workload , and he has been very good when I have used him in the past

I would imagine , if it was anything other than what's been mentioned he would let me know.
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 14th Oct 16, 8:53 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    anna_1977
    call CB and ask them, lets face it you'll be paying them enough....make them earn it
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    another casualty
    Good point anna May do
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Oct 16, 10:53 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just spoke to chase Buchanan ( I was actually very nervous about doing so)
    They are expecting a call today from buyers solicitors.
    I didn't ago into any detail. It sounds like they have all the information they require . Hopefully things are geared up for an October completion still .
    My solicitor hasn't contacted me as yet, so in one way no news is good news.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 14th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 7,688 Thanks
    grunnie
    So AC not a lot of October left - are you packed and nearly ready to move?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Oct 16, 12:22 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    another casualty
    So while I bump into one of the most docile people in the company having a long ,painfully drawn out conversation , chase Buchanan call.
    It looks like the fascia is not an issue. The issue is the property mgt co.
    That's more or less it ..for now .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    another casualty
    So AC not a lot of October left - are you packed and nearly ready to move?
    Originally posted by grunnie
    No
    I have been constantly tired, and on edge . Not sleeping properly / feeling groggy etc.
    I may do something tomorrow .
    However, to be brutally honest( if all goes well with the sale ):
    1) type notice ASAP
    2) whilst doing so, ask for about 3 days leave to do packing and find somewhere .
    3)ask nationwide for temporary financial help
    4) buy packing material/ boxes etc from Argos ( same day delivery )
    5) liaise with estate agents parkstone , hoping to arrange a day to look at 1or2 places to rent
    6) visit them ASAP
    Then ,aaaargh panic!

3)
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    another casualty
    Incase some of you don't know:
    I have about 12-14 days holiday ( maybe more ),
    hence the need to take time off before the move
    ( crossing fingers it's all good)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

5,643Users online

Martin's Twitter