Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 28th Oct 15, 9:15 PM
    • 1,335Posts
    • 2,039Thanks
    another casualty
    Quit everything , and start again over 50?
    • 28th Oct 15, 9:15 PM
    Quit everything , and start again over 50? 28th Oct 15 at 9:15 PM
    Hello everyone. Haven't been on here for a few years, but this is my second thread tonight
    My situation: Lovely 2 bedroom maissonette in Twickenham , complete with garden and parking space .
    Know virtually nobody here now . (people moving away etc)

Working : permanently employed Salary £24,500 + ot

Debts: inc. mortgage £105,000 approx

Property worth : £400,000 approx.

I have had 7-8 years of hell , and I know I'm not the only one
    Haven't had a holiday for years. Been in debt for years, before getting a DMP in 2012.
    My friends are moving away / married etc.
    The place of employment , was a place I didn't want to be in for many years . Joined as a temp in the recession 2007 , and made perm 2009. Things have improved in one way, but are bad in another. For example, my backstabbing colleague and my self get on now since 2012. My boss retired , and now the Personnel officer
    is now my boss.She is rude and incompetent.
    My health suffered last year, and I now have Myasthenia Gravis and am slowly getting back on the mend via steroids.Oh, and I put my brother up for 5 years. He paid £400 a month, but not all at once and I was always chasing him. He was a nightmare , but I have my space back now
    So, with all of the above , I do wonder if I should just quit and start again.BTW, my boss criticised my appointments, I snapped and am now on a final warning for 2 years. I didn't swear/threaten etc. I just shouted as colleague to boss.
    My friends say that I cannot afford to live in London and should buy a place somewhere else and put a sum of money away.
    They even say that I could sell my flat and go travelling for a couple of months. Am I too old for this now?

I must admit I am getting fed up of London , but I have lived there all of the time , mainly the Borough and Twickenham.
    I wouldn't want to move to anywhere else in London . Twickenham is very pricey as you know.

Please feel free with suggestions you may have, and thanks for looking

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 31-08-2016 at 1:02 PM.
Page 101
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 3,025 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Sorry you are having a bad time, wendym. I think your support is invaluable to AC, from what he has said. Wishing you both well.
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • wendym
    • By wendym 9th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 2,812 Posts
    • 3,476 Thanks
    wendym
    Sorry you are having a bad time, wendym. I think your support is invaluable to AC, from what he has said. Wishing you both well.
    Originally posted by Smodlet

What a lovely thing to say! Thank you.
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 9th Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 1,822 Thanks
    copperjar
    Hope you're okay AC. You're doing so well, the closer the actual sale gets the more stressful it becomes IMO. You will have some little wobbles and maybe some bigger ones over the next few weeks, sometimes it might not feel like it, but you're in control. Listen to your solicitor and talk things through with them re negotiations and potential completion dates. They are looking after your interests and seem to be doing a good job so far.
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Oct 16, 9:15 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,143 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Agreed, I think posting on the thread when you share a condition (from what I understand?) is very powerful.

Also want to emphasize what Gally said, about Thunderbirds When I used to go to classes about this sort of thing, the emphasis was on separating energies, not on putting anyone in an unpleasant place - thats why I picked up on what gally said about not liking being in the bell jar.

One thing that I came up with myself was an image using my garden - if there were mental "leftovers" from whatever had been going on, I'd put them in a mental "compost bin", to decompose and fertilise the future in a positive way. Teacher liked that
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 10th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Very quiet AC, any news today? I had 2 viewings on Saturday, one said no as couldn't get camper on the drive and the other said garden too small - hey ho, nothing i can do about either of those things!
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 10th Oct 16, 9:49 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 1,822 Thanks
    copperjar
    You okay AC? Any news from your solicitor?
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
    • wendym
    • By wendym 10th Oct 16, 10:55 PM
    • 2,812 Posts
    • 3,476 Thanks
    wendym
    Hi AC Naggy Drawers here.

Hope you are sort of OK. Can't promise to respond tonight as my back and I are trying to recover from scan by woman who must have failed the audition for Rosa Klebb for being too fierce.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 8,707 Posts
    • 48,395 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hi AC. How's tricks. Any news.

Nothing this end........EA rang. STill in the running for bungalow but vendor holding it open for a bit longer hoping for higher offers. Can't blame them for trying.

In the meantime I've spotted a nice Victorian town house, great potential. Worst house, best street. I think I might actually prefer for this one. Got a viewing on Thursday.

Had a good pummelling from the phsio this morning so going to take it easy now.

Keep going Anna, there will be a buyer for you. Just a waiting game.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 11-10-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Oct 16, 12:22 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi everybody
    Thanks for all your kind words and wishes .
    Wendy .. Still rooting for you , you are in my thoughts.
    Smodlet , thanks for the you tube clips .I prefer Andy Willian's to Robbie Williams tho , so that only lasted 0.5 seconds.
    If you fancy a laugh , checkout the moth video from Metallica

LL & Anna : good to see that you have properties to view ( and have done).
    All part of it . You'll get there .

So, what's been going on ? 3 nights of broken sleep . The usual stuff.
    Solicitor etc: haven't heard back from the buyers . Hope I haven't freaked them out by refusing to pay for eaves etc. I expect a compromise to be reached between us . The way their solicitor was insisting I did the job in a short time was not on . So, I had to make a bit of a stand .

I expect the information required from the proprerty mgt co, to arrive Thursday or Friday . If everything is ok, then TBH I would think contracts should be exchanged the tail end of next week .

I had 2 bits of good advice ( I think ) , from 2 friends of mine . They both know each other
    1) why not order the removal co. From Poole .? That means they will be going home after that job.
    2) move all stuff out early , into place of rent . On final day, travel light and
    just give keys to chase Buchanan

Regarding places to rent : I saw one ( 2 bed) for £950pm I think.
    Fully furnished, bills paid ( will check if I like / get it) plus free broadband .
    Available 1st Nov .
    That's it for now .
    Where is muffin tops ?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Oct 16, 12:25 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hope to catchup on sleep tonight .
    Meeting friend for beer tomorrow ( could be messy)
    One on Thursday also .( more of a swifty , with one of usual pals )
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Oct 16, 1:01 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    another casualty
    Forgot to mention :Vodafone !
    When I was answering the security questions, the guy at the other end got my address wrong . I politely told him , he should watch what he is doing .
    He apologised and said he hit the wrong button by mistake . Ok.

Get sim delivered next day( sim only- keepin iphone 5S)
    I waited till weekend . Just as well, they changed my phone no.
    Has to make 2 phone calls ( long and drawn out).
    I am now back on my normal tariff. I will tell them I'm leaving , and see what happens . I am a loyal customer
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    another casualty
    Very quiet AC, any news today? I had 2 viewings on Saturday, one said no as couldn't get camper on the drive and the other said garden too small - hey ho, nothing i can do about either of those things!
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Hope you get a buyer soon
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 12th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    • 8,707 Posts
    • 48,395 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Bunglaow Has gone to a higher bidder. Hey ho. Just need to keep looking.

Seeing a town house tomorrow.
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 12th Oct 16, 11:21 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Hope you get a buyer soon
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Morning

I have a viewing today and one on Saturday, I have decided to give the EA my 16 days notice on Monday and take it off until the spring. not selling is a pain but it's not the end of the world and I have lost interest and would rather wait now.....
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    another casualty
    Bunglaow Has gone to a higher bidder. Hey ho. Just need to keep looking.

Seeing a town house tomorrow.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    Oh , boo ..
    Won't be too long now for you
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Oct 16, 12:24 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    another casualty
    Morning

I have a viewing today and one on Saturday, I have decided to give the EA my 16 days notice on Monday and take it off until the spring. not selling is a pain but it's not the end of the world and I have lost interest and would rather wait now.....
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    When you think it's going nowhere , you may be lucky .
    Crossing my fingers for you

Haven't heard anything . Hope I haven't frightened off buyers .
    I did expect something. Maybe they're getting quotes for cost of fascia etc. I assume if that's not a problem , the. It's just the property mgt co. I spoke to Santander for latest statement again.
    If that's all sorted , then surely I exchange next week.
    Then..panic.

So , I put my home up for sale in May . Got offer in August .
    Now the days and nights are getting dark , and everyone is talking about Christmas

Last year , the worst year of my life . This year , the most challenging .

Where is muffin tops. ?
    Last edited by another casualty; 12-10-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 3,025 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Hi AC, all. MuffinTops' last post was early morning on 5th October so, if you want him/her, PM 'em. I miss MT, too.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Oct 16, 2:18 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi AC, all. MuffinTops' last post was early morning on 5th October so, if you want him/her, PM 'em. I miss MT, too.
    Thanks smodlet
    She'll probably appear when she has some ( hopefully ) good news
    about her plans . Or she may wait until my situation gets interesting again 0
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 3,025 Thanks
    Smodlet
    AC, you know much about six-strings or are you all about that bass, 'bout that bass, 'bout that bass, no treble?

Here's the reason I ask:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71442302#post71442302

• another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks smodlet . I just chipped into the conversation
    I will pm him Tomorrow or vice versa

Forgot to tell him, I'm not looking for any treble
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,211Posts Today

6,523Users online

Martin's Twitter