Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jo Poweredbychocolate
    • By Jo Poweredbychocolate 28th Oct 15, 6:53 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Jo Poweredbychocolate
    Motor Insurance settled, car fixed, now being disputed
    • 28th Oct 15, 6:53 PM
    Motor Insurance settled, car fixed, now being disputed 28th Oct 15 at 6:53 PM
    3 years ago someone reversed into me out of their drive, they were in a rush as they told me so as I pulled over to asses the damage and said he had to rush off to take his son to scouts

It took 2 years to settle as he tried to say I was reversing too and we both reversed into each other, it was a dark night and there were no witnesses but I took photos of my car and also of his car which clearly showed that he had reversed into me

I sent photos off to my insurance and finally after 2 years he admitted liablity and finally I got a letter to get my car fixed ( he had dented the wheel arch so thankfully it was still drivable )

Today I get a letter 12months on from the settlement to say that he is now disputing it again and I have to provide evidence to dispute his claim to say I was doing a U turn

I've never come across this before and tried to search for any such scenarios so am at a loss as to what to do, I can of course phone up the insurance company ( of which I am no longer with ) to tell them that I was not doing a U turn and the photos that I sent should prove that

I haven't got a copy of the photos anymore as they were on an old pc that I tried to back up without fail as it went tits up on me

would be grateful of any suggestions thank you
Page 1
    • gibby9
    • By gibby9 28th Oct 15, 7:03 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    gibby9
    • 28th Oct 15, 7:03 PM
    • 28th Oct 15, 7:03 PM
    Your insurance company should have kept the photographs.

On what grounds are the other side attempting to resile from their original admission? If settlement has already been agreed I can't see how they can dispute at this time.

Who is the letter from? If not the third party insurers are the company involved aware of the admission?
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 28th Oct 15, 7:08 PM
    • 11,609 Posts
    • 6,509 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 28th Oct 15, 7:08 PM
    • 28th Oct 15, 7:08 PM
    He was reversing blindly onto the road, there shouldn't be any dispute in this at all.

If he saw you coming he should have stopped, if he couldn't see traffic then he shouldn't have entered the road.

Anyone reversing from a driveway where they cannot see the traffic on the road and where that driveway could just as easily be reversed onto, should in my opinion be SHOT.

I've seen people do this, reversing out onto a 50mph dual-carriageway and i've had near misses with people doing this in residential areas. I even had one guy that went full road rage because I used my horn to warn him I was approaching as he was reversing into the road in front of me.
    Last edited by Strider590; 28-10-2015 at 7:13 PM.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Jo Poweredbychocolate
    • By Jo Poweredbychocolate 28th Oct 15, 7:13 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jo Poweredbychocolate
    • 28th Oct 15, 7:13 PM
    • 28th Oct 15, 7:13 PM
    I have found a letter from my insurance company ( that I was with at the time, I am not with them anymore as I moved as I was so furious that they didn't seem to want to fight my corner over the matter ) that says the claim is settled and I won't be hearing from them again

now this letter is from the same insurance company saying now that the person is saying I did a U turn in the road, which is utter rubbish plus if I was the dent on my car is on the wrong side if that were the case

I have never known anything like this, I can't phone them now as they are closed but wanted to some advice first before phoning them
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 28th Oct 15, 7:41 PM
    • 11,609 Posts
    • 6,509 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 28th Oct 15, 7:41 PM
    • 28th Oct 15, 7:41 PM
    Well it's ridiculous, it doesn't matter what you were or were not doing in the road (even if you did something stupid), you had priority and he should not have reversed.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Jo Poweredbychocolate
    • By Jo Poweredbychocolate 28th Oct 15, 8:11 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jo Poweredbychocolate
    • 28th Oct 15, 8:11 PM
    • 28th Oct 15, 8:11 PM
    I tried to explain that to the insurance company at the time and they kept saying, it's his word against mine as I have no witnesses so I should accept 50 50 I kept saying surely the car damage should indicate that he reversed into me

so I left them to fight it out
    • Jo Poweredbychocolate
    • By Jo Poweredbychocolate 29th Oct 15, 9:19 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jo Poweredbychocolate
    • 29th Oct 15, 9:19 AM
    • 29th Oct 15, 9:19 AM
    Well I phoned up the insurers this morning and they don't seem to have a clue what is going on and don't understand why the letter was sent out

they said it's probably cos they are now trying to get money out of the third party for the repair of my car and they are refusing to pay up
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 29th Oct 15, 10:47 AM
    • 25,860 Posts
    • 10,294 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 29th Oct 15, 10:47 AM
    • 29th Oct 15, 10:47 AM
    The other driver doesn't need to pay anything towards the repair of your car, thats what their insurance is for.

If they claimed for their own car then an excess maybe payable, but thats nothing to do with you.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 29th Oct 15, 12:07 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,003 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 29th Oct 15, 12:07 PM
    • 29th Oct 15, 12:07 PM
    ....they said it's probably cos they are now trying to get money out of the third party for the repair of my car and they are refusing to pay up
    Originally posted by Jo Poweredbychocolate

You will have agreed to assist your insurer in getting reimbursed their costs from the third party as part of the policy conditions.

Just comply with their request and refute this suggestion of you doing a U turn, and take it from any reply you get over this before getting too worried.
    Last edited by Quentin; 29-10-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    • Jo Poweredbychocolate
    • By Jo Poweredbychocolate 30th Oct 15, 5:33 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jo Poweredbychocolate
    thank you well since refuting their claim I've not heard anything so will just have to sit it out I guess
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 9th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    strawberries1
    Did you get this sorted OP?
    I'm in a dispute with my insurers too and trying to find out what one can do if there's a dispute between the insured and the insurer.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 9th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 11,386 Posts
    • 8,555 Thanks
    unholyangel
    I'm in a dispute with my insurers too and trying to find out what one can do if there's a dispute between the insured and the insurer.
    Originally posted by strawberries1
    What you can do depends on circumstances. Perhaps try starting your own thread with more detail and see what people can suggest?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 9th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 2,769 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Aretnap
    Originally posted by strawberries1
    The OP hasn't logged on in nearly two years, so don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.

It's generally better to start your own thread than resurrect random old ones.

Added - ah, you have started your own trhead

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5724706
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,126Posts Today

8,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin