Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gwynfil
    • By gwynfil 28th Oct 15, 8:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 43Thanks
    gwynfil
    0 WOW
    Marks and Spencers Sparks card?
    • 28th Oct 15, 8:31 AM
    0 WOW
    Marks and Spencers Sparks card? 28th Oct 15 at 8:31 AM
    Hi

What is the Marks and Spencer Sparks card and how do you get one?

They asked me at the checkout if I have one, the self service tills ask if I have one, but there doesn't seem to be much information about it anywhere. It seems like the worst launched loyalty card ever.

I was hesitant to ask more about it at the time, as the checkouts were quite busy and I didn't want to hold the queues up. I also wasn't sure if it was some sort of credit card related perk, which I wouldn't want.

However, I shop at M & S quite a bit and my receipts keep telling me I could have earned points, so I would like to know more about it if anyone knows anything.

I use the internet regularly, but don't use apps, which I think was mentioned on the receipt- about getting the M & S app or something.

Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • marbella
    • By marbella 27th Mar 16, 1:10 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    marbella
    Points reset to ZERO on 1st April too !!
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 28th Mar 16, 3:20 AM
    • 12,261 Posts
    • 11,545 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Points reset to ZERO on 1st April too !!
    Originally posted by marbella
    I thought they only reset after a year; the card only came out late last year! There's no great loss to the points though; you'd need around 10000 for them to mean very much anyway and that's if you're interested in what's on offer.

I don't mind being sent offers but they are so random with small print to remember in many cases that I've yet to remember the offers I've seen let alone being able to actually use them.
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 28th Mar 16, 8:17 AM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 10,695 Thanks
    Frogletina
    I still have a full stamped card for the cafe - does anyone know if it is still valid for a drink?

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 28th Mar 16, 9:05 AM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 9,014 Thanks
    grunnie
    I still have a full stamped card for the cafe - does anyone know if it is still valid for a drink?

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    I had 2 cards with a few stamps on each so I asked what I could do with them as they weren't giving them out now and they took the 2 cards and I got a free coffee.
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 28th Mar 16, 10:32 AM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 10,695 Thanks
    Frogletina
    I had 2 cards with a few stamps on each so I asked what I could do with them as they weren't giving them out now and they took the 2 cards and I got a free coffee.
    Originally posted by grunnie
    That's good. I think I'll try to use my card this week.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

• shortone
    • By shortone 29th Mar 16, 9:15 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    shortone
    Yeah

Its still valid but I would use it sooner rather than later
    • britgal
    • By britgal 7th Apr 16, 7:26 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    britgal
    I have one of these cards, and have absolutely no idea what to do with it. You are right dreadful launch, and and even worse follow up (ie not had any info since we signed up over Christmas!).
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 9th Apr 16, 8:18 AM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 10,695 Thanks
    Frogletina
    That's good. I think I'll try to use my card this week.

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    Yeah

Its still valid but I would use it sooner rather than later
    Originally posted by shortone
    Just to let you know that I have now used it without any problems

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

• DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Apr 16, 4:08 PM
    • 30,395 Posts
    • 19,219 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I have one of these cards, and have absolutely no idea what to do with it. You are right dreadful launch, and and even worse follow up (ie not had any info since we signed up over Christmas!).
    Originally posted by britgal
    Have you registered it online eg link it to your M&S online account ?

There various offers you can choose and you get points for your spends.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • phillipdarlington
    • By phillipdarlington 23rd Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    phillipdarlington
    M&S Sparks Card: Personalised Offers means no offers
    Hi,

It appears M&S are changing the way offers are done on their Sparks loyalty card. I used to get them every fortnight but for the last week I've had none as 'they are taking a break'. I've just phoned them now, only to be told it could be a couple of months before I get any more due to the way they are personalised.

It makes you wonder if it is worth using the Sparks card at all - I'm not sure I want to keep giving M&S the info it needs and not get anything in return.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    Phillip
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 27th Jun 17, 3:04 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hi,

It appears M&S are changing the way offers are done on their Sparks loyalty card. I used to get them every fortnight but for the last week I've had none as 'they are taking a break'. I've just phoned them now, only to be told it could be a couple of months before I get any more due to the way they are personalised.

It makes you wonder if it is worth using the Sparks card at all - I'm not sure I want to keep giving M&S the info it needs and not get anything in return.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    Phillip
    Originally posted by phillipdarlington
    I confess that it is one of the daftest reward cards around. I got offers of bridal wear earlier this week and I am a 67 yearly male who has been married for 45 years.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 28th Jun 17, 4:56 AM
    • 12,261 Posts
    • 11,545 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I confess that it is one of the daftest reward cards around. I got offers of bridal wear earlier this week and I am a 67 yearly male who has been married for 45 years.
    Originally posted by Hengus

I constantly get offers on foods I've never eaten, never will eat, on clothes I have never purchased from them, on kids clothes (I have no children) on just about everything....but not what I actually purchase!

I fed this back to them, along with the question on why I had reached enough points to get invited to "money cannot buy" events and low and behold...an event appeared!

I went to the event and no sooner had I seen the crowd than I was regretting having made the time- let alone journey! It was full of a crowd of people twice my age- and I am not at all considered young!

There was a prize draw...for a bottle of....fizzy orange squash, and the event had a strange M&S man standing in the corner like some sort of under paid security guard- I've not even seen a security guard looking so miserable! I did wonder what he was doing there.

It was mentioned we could feed back on our experience of the event on the post-it notes supplied but the lady next to me took mine (and hers and the empty seat next to hers) when I asked if I could have my copy, she said I should ask a member of staff...I don't know why she felt she had to take all those leaflets and post it notes and I didn't want to ask tbh. I felt like a right idiot for being at the event at all- it was far from where I lived, I don't visit that store but had been told it was a "money cannot buy" event.

Just a warning to anyone else getting a ticket for these sorts of events- please don't assume it is what it says on the ticket!
    • Ziggy Stardust
    • By Ziggy Stardust 30th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Ziggy Stardust
    Got to laugh at the events I keep getting invited to a wine tasting one but the store is just off the motorway and most people would have to drive there, I certainly do, I did email to tell them but they really couldn't have cared less.
    • BJV
    • By BJV 30th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 2,250 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    BJV
    Well hate to buck the trend but I love my sparks card. I always get offers and discounts and use them. Never had a problem with M&S deliveries arrive on time. Happy happy
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 7th Aug 17, 11:22 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 9,019 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    M&S Sparks offers
    Are any men members? Do you get offers tailored towards men? All I ever get is women's wear offers in general and I also buy clothes for my OH, so it's quite frustrating to never be offered discount.

Out of interest, does anyone know when they might next have a discount, even 20% would help? Need to buy him a coat! TIA
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £33,807.40
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,290
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 8th Aug 17, 6:04 AM
    • 12,698 Posts
    • 40,254 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Are any men members? Do you get offers tailored towards men? All I ever get is women's wear offers in general and I also buy clothes for my OH, so it's quite frustrating to never be offered discount.

Out of interest, does anyone know when they might next have a discount, even 20% would help? Need to buy him a coat! TIA
    Originally posted by Wizzbang

Yes, my husband is a Sparks member (we both joined for that reason)

He often gets £5 off shirts, £10 off Linen, £5 off jeans etc etc
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 8th Aug 17, 8:41 AM
    • 2,088 Posts
    • 9,691 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I am a real fan of the Sparks card!

The offers I get sent are definitely tailored to me....in the Food Hall offers, I usually get 2 0r 3 offers of a decent discount off things I buy regularly, and then 1 or 2 of things I haven't tried, but are generally the sort of thing I 'might' be interested in......the Clothing Weeks are much more hit and miss....but then I don't buy clothing that often...I di take advantage of the 20% off nightwear a few months ago...and am hoping for a similar offer when the new PJs come in before winter!....One week was offers on make-up and perfume and jewellery - absolutely no use because of allergies, but you can't blame M&S for that!

The bonus offers on the card are terrific....£5 off vouchers....get an extra side dish free with the £ 10 meal deal....last week I had an offer for having 4 meat/fish packs for £12 (the in-store offer was 3 for £10)...I split that offer with Mum and we both got 2 packs for the freezer.

An on top of that, every time I use the card it benefits Shelter.

My only minor gripe with M&S is that I live in a one-horse-dorp and our M&S doesn't have anything like the full range (clothes can be ordered, but not general items from the food hall) ...and we have no caf! either!
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 11th Aug 17, 1:45 AM
    • 12,261 Posts
    • 11,545 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I am a real fan of the Sparks card!

The offers I get sent are definitely tailored to me....in the Food Hall offers, I usually get 2 0r 3 offers of a decent discount off things I buy regularly, and then 1 or 2 of things I haven't tried, but are generally the sort of thing I 'might' be interested in......the Clothing Weeks are much more hit and miss....but then I don't buy clothing that often...I di take advantage of the 20% off nightwear a few months ago...and am hoping for a similar offer when the new PJs come in before winter!....One week was offers on make-up and perfume and jewellery - absolutely no use because of allergies, but you can't blame M&S for that!

The bonus offers on the card are terrific....£5 off vouchers....get an extra side dish free with the £ 10 meal deal....last week I had an offer for having 4 meat/fish packs for £12 (the in-store offer was 3 for £10)...I split that offer with Mum and we both got 2 packs for the freezer.

An on top of that, every time I use the card it benefits Shelter.

My only minor gripe with M&S is that I live in a one-horse-dorp and our M&S doesn't have anything like the full range (clothes can be ordered, but not general items from the food hall) ...and we have no caf! either!
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein

Either your alone in finding the offers suit you or I'm alone in rarely ever finding an offer that suits me! I get offers I'm never going to use, month after month and maybe once in 4-5 months, an offer that saves me 20% which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact I'd had to wait so long to save anything at all! I've never had £5 off anything sent to me- apart from the T-shirt offer which when I did try to use it, wouldn't work and even getting an assistant and then a manager to look at the offer I'd selected (simply said £5 off ANY t-shirt) no one could see the problem in my choice or why it wouldn't go through. In the end I gave up and left without a t-shirt, a bit annoyed at the wasted half hour trying to get it sorted out.

I would far rather just have one single offer sent to me that actually applied to me rather than having a selection of 6 to pick 5 from and then not using any of them because none are on my radar, I've gotten to the point now where I quite often don't select anything because I can't see any point in selecting something I know I wont use.

I got to the top tier about 6 months or more ago and yet I've not found anything worth the extra tier- I was invited to what was described as a look at the new season, but was so far out of my range (as in, everyone was at least 30 years older than me and I'm not that young) and had not enough seating either. I had put aside time to attend thinking they'd look at what I purchase and my age and etc to have selected me for an event which was not at a store I normally ever visit, but it appeared not.

I don't know who does their marketing, or why it seems to work so well for you and not for me, but it's fair to say that I don't think it's possible to say the card is either fantastic or pointless from either of our experiences combined!
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 13th Aug 17, 9:28 PM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 7,970 Thanks
    Callie22
    My Sparks offers are ok-ish. They cycle between a food fortnight and a non-food fortnight. The food offers I get are pretty much based on what I buy in there frequently and I do generally use them. I also like the odd £5 off that I get. Non-food offers are a bit more hit-and-miss as I rarely buy clothes from M&S, but I do get offers on things like perfume, menswear, socks and stuff which I do occasionally use. I live in a town with two branches of M&S and at least two other 'Simply Food' outlets, but I haven't ever been invited to a single event, despite having enough points. As loyalty cards go Sparks is probably on a par with Nectar in terms of usefulness and benefits, but tbh all of the cards seem to be offering less and less nowadays. The exception (for me) seems to be Waitrose, I'm getting quite a lot of money off coupons from them lately.
    • Elphie888
    • By Elphie888 2nd Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elphie888
    This seems to be the worst Loyalty card going. tried to use 2 of my so called offers this week neither worked. rather than cause a scene at busy checkout just payed full amount. Unhelpful assistant told me to "go read the small print" which I have and feel I met the criteria for discount.
    Don't bother with this one. Interested to know if others have problems too?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

6,014Users online

Martin's Twitter