Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 23rd Aug 07, 1:25 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Mobile Roaming: Cheapest Calls When You're Abroad
    • 23rd Aug 07, 1:25 PM
    Mobile Roaming: Cheapest Calls When You're Abroad 23rd Aug 07 at 1:25 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

Read the old Roaming discussion for more info.

Thanks for your help,
    MSE Becca
    Last edited by Former MSE Becca; 20-03-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 62
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 1st Nov 16, 12:03 PM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 5,005 Thanks
    prosaver
    tescos chaarged me 4 pence a minute when on hols.. EU..
    contact your service provider ..oh that reminds me of this clip..
    why doesn't she just put the phone down? ha ha
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • GeoffJ
    • By GeoffJ 14th Feb 17, 10:52 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    GeoffJ
    O2 Roaming in Nepal
    My son went to Nepal last week - 3 months charity work in remote areas. It's his first time abroad on his own; he's only 18; and trusts everyone.
    Well before his departure, I spoke to O2 about his roaming costs: £1.50 per min to make a call; £1.25 to receive; 40p per text; £6 MB data. Data wasn't an issue/option as he barely has access to 3G - a bit like my access to the O2 network where I live in Leeds (i.e., it only works when there are no clouds in the sky!).
    Having been advised by O2 that their O2 Travel scheme doesn't apply to Nepal, and having read various forums, we decided that it might be best to unlock my son's phone and use a local sim in Nepal. Unfortunately, the charity he is with don't do currency exchange at Kathmandu airport (poor rates and apparently you can be ripped off); therefore, there wasn't an opportunity to purchase a sim card from the local airport store. And, at the charity's base camp, there was good CX but no shops to buy a sim. And, of course the poor lad was still bewildered in a strange place after a long flight and could barely put his boots on the correct feet.
    So, days later he's in a very remote area digging wells or something and he starts to text home; well, his girlfriend but certainly not his family. I lie, he did text his cat! But, I suppose he was a bit like ET when he (she?) found himself in the USA and, as he adjusted to his circumstances and amongst strangers, and needed to communicate with someone more familiar - albeit on a remote and distant planet.
    And, that it where this tale of woe really begins as my son had forgotten (as I had) that 160 characters is a text. And, as we all know, texts to the girlfriend when you are in stranger-land and lonely take zillions of characters. Luckily, I had spotted the text charges racking up and on day 5 I warned him (by text) that I'd soon be bankrupt. By then it was £66 worth of texts but by the time he got the message (and cut back on length and volume) I owed £90 for texts.
    Last night - at 9.10 pm (yes, at NIGHT) O2 emailed me to say that if I did not pay £120 immediately they would disconnect my son's phone AND mine (I have linked accounts). That made my blood boil given that I run 3 phones with O2 and have been a customer for years. AND, at the same time, I will still pay for my son's UK call package (£20 pm for 3 months) whilst he has no opportunity of using it (as he is out of the UK).
    So, prompted by his girlfriend, I carried out further research to find that she (the girlfriend that is), is a Talk Talk customer would pay only 20p per text in his circumstances. AND, just to really hack me off, O2 had failed to mention to me the option of using an international sim whereby they (O2) charge only 15p per text. Of course, this option might be on O2's website but as users know the website is far more complicated than the Mirror Labyrinth in Switzerland and you constantly find yourself coming back on yourself and are unable to assimilate the bewildering array of data. Clearly, the website and its multitudinous links serves the O2 purpose of confusing the user until he/she gives up and O2 cannot be held to account for anything.
    My only conclusions are that: I have been a fool in sticking with O2 - who I thought to be a trusted provider who'd give me good customer service; and that O2 have failed in their duty to protect my interests as a loyal customer in that they neglected to inform me (when I communicated with them) that an international sim was an option. Of course that option is now closed as you need (would you believe it in these days of exceptional connectivity) a different sim to be inserted in the phone before you depart. And, posting one to my son is not an option in that the post takes at least a month (or so I am told) and my son moves around from project to project in the earthquake ravaged region of Nepal.
    I'm now stuck with O2 until my son returns but I hope my tale is of help to others. Namely, from my perspective, O2 do not provide good customer service and leverage the ignorance of their customers in order to make more money from them. Therefore, if you are an O2 customer do not rely upon them to provide balanced advice - they do anything they can to maximise their return from your investment in them, to your disadvantage.
    This is a sad episode for my son who decided to do something useful during his gap year rather smoke pot in Phuket. He sold everything he could: including the PS4 and games and anything that would sell at car boot sales; and getting out of bed at 6.0 am on cold winter Sunday mornings to get to the various sales and to fund himself to/from Nepal. His jabs alone cost £300 (not available on the NHS). And, O2 have made the most of his altruism. Well done O2!
    • mchale
    • By mchale 14th Feb 17, 2:08 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    mchale
    Why didn't you/son do better research before the Nepal trip.
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 16th Feb 17, 6:43 AM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    eDicky
    Having been advised by O2 that their O2 Travel scheme doesn't apply to Nepal, and having read various forums, we decided that it might be best to unlock my son's phone and use a local sim in Nepal. Unfortunately, the charity he is with don't do currency exchange at Kathmandu airport (poor rates and apparently you can be ripped off); therefore, there wasn't an opportunity to purchase a sim card from the local airport store.
    Originally posted by GeoffJ
    Of course there was opportunity, how else would the airport Ncell shop have any customers? If the shop itself doesn't take pounds there is bank counter. To avoid 'poor rates' you allowed a sixteen year old to roam outside EU on O2, and then blame O2 instead of yourself for the consequences..!

As for data, I am sending this from a remote Nepali village on Ncell 2G, free messaging apps also work fine if not quite instant, cost is peanuts and voice calls to UK Rs.7/min (5p).

Hopefully your son can get to town for a SIM, nobody can do it for him, one photo, thumbprints and passport required.
    Last edited by eDicky; 16-02-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    • craigmcdonagh
    • By craigmcdonagh 27th Feb 17, 1:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    craigmcdonagh
    I am on Tesco mobile and im going to vegas in 2 weeks and was looking at the charges for calling home and it was 89p per minute either making or receiving calls.
    I have 2 children who are staying at different relatives who I need to call daily.
    Anyone got any advice on a cheaper alternative ?
    Im going for 10 days !!
    • thefirs
    • By thefirs 27th Feb 17, 2:26 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    thefirs
    Install the Tesco International calling app on your smartphone. You'll get a free £1 credit and calls to landlines/texts are free anyway.
    I'm sure free WiFi will be ubiquitous in a place such as Las Vegas, so make sure you connect through that, not mobile data.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 27th Feb 17, 4:19 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I am on Tesco mobile and im going to vegas in 2 weeks and was looking at the charges for calling home and it was 89p per minute either making or receiving calls.
    I have 2 children who are staying at different relatives who I need to call daily.
    Anyone got any advice on a cheaper alternative ?
    Im going for 10 days !!
    Originally posted by craigmcdonagh
    If your phone isn't locked to Tesco, use a Three SIM using their "feel at home" (which includes the USA) should be 3p/min to make calls back to the UK, 2p per text and free to receive. Think you would need a top up before going and convert to a bundle of some sort. I have a Three contract so not familiar with the requirements for roaming on their PAYG, just ask in a Three Shop.

Caution, feel at home doesn't include cheap local calls (or texts) it will cost the same as phoning the USA from the UK!

You will need a 3G phone that's compatible with the USA too. Again the Three Shop people will advise.
    • diamonds
    • By diamonds 2nd Mar 17, 3:37 AM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    diamonds
    If your phone isn't locked to Tesco, use a Three SIM using their "feel at home" (which includes the USA) should be 3p/min to make calls back to the UK, 2p per text and free to receive. Think you would need a top up before going and convert to a bundle of some sort. I have a Three contract so not familiar with the requirements for roaming on their PAYG, just ask in a Three Shop.

Caution, feel at home doesn't include cheap local calls (or texts) it will cost the same as phoning the USA from the UK!

You will need a 3G phone that's compatible with the USA too. Again the Three Shop people will advise.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Yup Three payg sim you wont find cheaper!

Forward Tesco calls to Three sim, give childminder new number for calling texting

http://www.three.co.uk/support/roaming/united-states#payg
    Last edited by diamonds; 02-03-2017 at 3:40 AM.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe
    • jillpad
    • By jillpad 2nd Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jillpad
    jillpad
    While my wife and I are on holiday in the USA, will my call to her O2 mobile count as a US to UK call on 3's Feel-at-Home or as a local call? Does anyone know, please?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 2nd Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    eDicky
    While my wife and I are on holiday in the USA, will my call to her O2 mobile count as a US to UK call on 3's Feel-at-Home or as a local call? Does anyone know, please?
    Originally posted by jillpad
    When a UK mobile is called, the caller is charged only for that call to the UK number, regardless of where the phone is located. Any roaming portion of the call is charged to the person being called. So your call will be included in your Three FAH, and your wife will pay any relevant charge to receive the call while roaming.
    Last edited by eDicky; 03-03-2017 at 2:28 AM.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 2nd Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Terry98
    When I was in Spain one of the big advantages of using 3 was the ability to call anyone on my Whatsapp contact list free of charge.

I would be interested to know how much data Whatsapp uses when doing this but I do not think it was very much.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    boatman
    Budget news on mobile roaming outside EU.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2017/03/budget-2017-mobile-roaming-outside-the-eu-to-increase?_ga=1.236757825.1746449882.1480930863

Mobile roaming outside the EU will be subject to UK VAT, the Chancellor has announced, in a move that's likely to result in millions of holidaymakers paying more to use their phone abroad.

VAT - a 20% tax paid by the consumer - will apply to mobile phone roaming charges outside the EU as of 1 August.
    Last edited by boatman; 08-03-2017 at 2:56 PM. Reason: hh
    • lesshaste
    • By lesshaste 1st May 17, 10:32 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lesshaste
    Is EE allowed not to offer a per MB deal for data roaming
    EE appears not to allow you pay per MB when data roaming in the EU. This contradicts part of its website, for example https://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming/ee/denmark where it says

"If you prefer to pay our standard rates abroad for data, please call 150 from your EE handset.

Data will then be charged at 4.4p/MB abroad in the EU and £7.50/MB in all other destinations. Prices include VAT where applicable. "

But if you call them they say it's not available.

Are they allowed (under EU laws) not to offer any per MB deal at all when you are roaming in the EU?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 1st May 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    From 15th June it will make no difference to the cost of using your EE phone in the EU, compared to the UK, although EE have yet to publish the changes.

I expect they wii have to give customers 30 days notice, so expect something in the next 2 weeks.

EE appear to not offer a bill cap either, that requirement came into U.K. law last Thursday... see the thread on this forum.

Vodafone have already announced price rises (to cover the above?), interesting times!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 2nd May 17, 3:11 AM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    eDicky
    EE appears not to allow you pay per MB when data roaming in the EU. This contradicts part of its website, for example https://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming/ee/denmark where it says

"If you prefer to pay our standard rates abroad for data, please call 150 from your EE handset.

Data will then be charged at 4.4p/MB abroad in the EU and £7.50/MB in all other destinations. Prices include VAT where applicable. "

But if you call them they say it's not available.

Are they allowed (under EU laws) not to offer any per MB deal at all when you are roaming in the EU?
    Originally posted by lesshaste
    You can insist and quote that clause, many agents are not aware of it and/or try to fob you off, ask for a manager if necessary. There's a certain phrase to use that's useful, search other threads for it by people who succeeded.
    • lesshaste
    • By lesshaste 3rd May 17, 12:56 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lesshaste
    EE and per MB roaming data
    You can insist and quote that clause, many agents are not aware of it and/or try to fob you off, ask for a manager if necessary. There's a certain phrase to use that's useful, search other threads for it by people who succeeded.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    My question was raised with a manager who spun a story about that being an old T-mobile deal. The person at EE who was handling my call admitted she had no idea what the manager was talking about. In short I haven't got anywhere.

I didn't find the phrase you mention but I would love to find out how to get onto the per MB deal. It would save me a lot of money!
    • Artega
    • By Artega 18th May 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Artega
    Hi! Thanks a lot for your article. really useful information. Recently I have found the new service Savvy.One . They use a chatbot on FB which finds for you a local or international SIM that is most suitable for your needs. According to their website, they have in database more than 170 countries, 500 local operators and thousands of mobile plans. What do you think about it? Is it worth the attention. Their service is for free.
    • mrcamp
    • By mrcamp 19th May 17, 11:18 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    mrcamp
    Are you sure you are not affiliated with them? I'm sure the moderators will decide.

Hi! Thanks a lot for your article. really useful information. Recently I have found the new service Savvy.One . They use a chatbot on FB which finds for you a local or international SIM that is most suitable for your needs. According to their website, they have in database more than 170 countries, 500 local operators and thousands of mobile plans. What do you think about it? Is it worth the attention. Their service is for free.
    Originally posted by Artega
    • redux
    • By redux 28th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    • 16,836 Posts
    • 21,026 Thanks
    redux
    I'm interested to see how Toggle and others react to no-roaming in EU countries next April.
    Originally posted by Roger1
    It is.

The rate UK to UK dropped back to 3p some months ago, and now this is also the rate while roaming in EU and calling to EU landlines and mobiles.

This applies not only in the Toggle countries but also in the rest of the EU.

Slight difference is that incoming calls in non-Toggle EU countries cost a penny a minute, which looks a bit out of line, but maybe that can be reviewed.

Data expensive per MB, and data bundle doesn't roam.
    Last edited by redux; 28-06-2017 at 10:20 PM.
    • Robm100
    • By Robm100 29th Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robm100
    roaming charges illegal?
    apologies if this is a repeat of something else below (i looked briefly but could not find it) anyway.... if roaming charges are now illegal in europe, and it is an added extra on my phone plan, can i claim that money back?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,769Posts Today

7,317Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin