Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 13th Oct 15, 5:43 PM
    • 439Posts
    • 3,067Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Do One, Debt!
    • 13th Oct 15, 5:43 PM
    Do One, Debt! 13th Oct 15 at 5:43 PM
    Hello,
    I've been lurking for a while knowing that I need to do something about my growing debts, now I have finally taken the plunge and started a diary :
    I used to be the ultimate moneysaver! I can't believe how bad I have been in the last few years- missed payments on cc's for no good reason!?! My mental health suffered after being bullied at work a few years ago. I started smoking again, gained weight and lost control of my finances. I quit my job with no job to go to and that accounts for 50% of my debts ( 6 weeks unemployed) the rest is new carpets and a new mobile phone. Apart from that it's from...smoking!
    I have now been a non-smoker for over 4 weeks so that is around £250 I've not spent.
    I also need to get fitter, eat better and lose around 30kg. I know some people think "one thing at a time" however I feel they are all connected and as one improves the others naturally follow.
    Will post some more info on my financials in due course...
    Thanks for reading...Gonna
    Last edited by GoingToDoIt; 13-10-2015 at 5:44 PM. Reason: Spelled name
    Apr 16 Total cc 0% debt £8364/3680 updated 23 July 17
Page 16
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 27th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    I'm back on for the f2f next week! So hopefully that's £50.
    I know that I've probably blown the budget for the month already, I'm actually putting off looking at the bank accounts...not good.
    I've applied for a Cc from Mr T supermarket. It is free to do a balance transfer and 0% for 2 years. I've already arranged for hulifax to move over and once the card arrives, I'm going to move v!rgin over as well. This will consolidate all of my 0% debt at no cost, and extend it's life by 18 months. I've been moaning for a while that I want to reduce my payments and now I am in a position to do it. I will be paying around £150 a month for the next two years. I also went via tcb and earned £30!
    I've got over £1k saved in pots and I'd like to save a bit more as well, I won't just be splurging cash I hope! I think I'm just financially a bit better than last year and I want to be able to relax a bit, and I'm really enjoying having money available for anything that springs up. I'm also going to be spending more on food in terms of doing ww, for example prepped veg. I know it's cheaper to do it yourself but I don't have the energy, SMS either with shopping for salad and fruit.
    Had a clothes clear out and have some more items to bay in a few weeks when the mood takes me.
    Y@ugov is at just over a tenner, swaggy is just pennies and inbox has only just got to £14. Had a bit of a break from them over the past week as was getting a bit fed up.
    Last edited by GoingToDoIt; 27-05-2017 at 3:28 PM.
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 10th Jun 17, 10:55 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    If at first you don't succeed...
    I have had an illegal rave in my finances and I need to get a grip.
    The dibs card has built up a debt of around £150. I am broke 5 days before payday.
    I have two expensive months coming up.
    Still trying to stay positive. I just paid my year's house insurance up front, using funds saved over the year
    I bought a few new clothes but I really needed them. I bought expensive foundation which I "could" have managed without, but I really wanted it!
    I need to reign it back in asap.
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 25th Jun 17, 11:42 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 3,203 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Hoping you're Ok gonna
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Aug - £960
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £254.52
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 22nd Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Send an intervention, quick
    Oh bl@@dy hell...
    Well life is for living and I have been doing that for the past few months, for sure. Lots of good times and nice events, however I am BROKE. I'm having an intervention with myself.
    1. Smoking - this is a disaster, I've been at it for months now and I can't afford it. I am working up to stopping AGAIN!
    2. In order to reduce my payments I consolidated everything to a new 0% with Mr T cc. I got £30 tcb for it and free to transfer. However the transfer and stuff got a bit mixed up, long story short I didn't make any debt repayment last month and only £36 min payment this month
    3. Partying - I'm not sorry about this but it ain't cheap
    4. Extra income - I got bored and too busy to bother, a break was nice but now I need to be back on swaggy etc regularly

So I've confessed my sins, I know what to do, I just need to do it now and keep my eye on the finances. And stop using the dibs card for day to day payments I like getting the points but it makes it hard for me to know what I'm spending in, so out of the wallet it goes.

I've revisited all of my bank accts and pots of cash and refined these a bit. In good news, I do have more than half saved for xmas at £265, £250 emergency fund, £200 clothes and £45 passport replacement AND £400 in the holiday fund. So not totally uggered just a bit lost.
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 23rd Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    New statement of monthly spend
    Writing it down in the hope it lodges itself in my brain...

Income from Job 2023

2023 -
    1215 transfer for pots and bills
    35 to bday account
    70 to hairdresser account
    200 to holiday saver
    = 503 for spending

1215 breaks down as -
    910 to bills account
    35 to xmas account
    20 to the "expensive treats" account
    45 to RDF and contact lens and insurance saver account
    = 205 for travel, 33 electric and 70 monthly 0% cc payment

910 bills breaks down as-
    488 rent
    281 mortgage
    69 c tax
    21 internet
    12 tv licence
    25 water
    7.50 mobile phone

The annual target for the xmas account is £420 by Dec 15th
    The RDF account pays for insurance in June around £100 and contact lenses twice a year at £78
    The holiday saver matures in April 18 and will contain £700 towards the 0% credit card
    The "side account" is where I keep the monthly £4 account reward and £3 account reward I get and is basically a kind of rdf, I need a new passport in 2 years and it can be used for that hopefully!
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 23rd Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Do you feel better having it consolidated though. I think 1 payment is a lot easier to keep track of. As opposed to 7/8/9. This is my end-stage plan.

And you have loads in your pots (and weren't unfortunate enough to have picked this holiday week in the Greek islands).

I think a few days in the pub isn't the end of world so long as you are not destitute.

But the smoking! Well.
    But people do have vices. We are only human.

It will get sorted but it is summer so it's hard and the beer gardens beckon.

Good luck for next month. It's quite busy for me so not sure if it will be any easier for you either and maybe we just need to get through to September. Xxxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 23rd Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 3,203 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Ah gonna, glad you're back. You know what you need to do.....it's just the hard bit of actually doing it.

Ahem, yes the smoking. There's loads of help with that if you want support. GP's, pharmacies etc. Not sure how you did it last time. I don't drink luckily but I know it's expensive. Could you have water inbetween

Well done on the savings pots though
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 23rd Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Thanks Ena
    Last time I had a horrendous virus and just didn't smoke...
    The drinking is ok, big occasions etc I like a few drinks and end up in rounds so I probably drink more, I don't go "out drinking" all that often, but when I do I like to go for it I guess!
    Thanks PSL
    The smoking is the main problem, it costs a fortune, I will knock it on the head soon I promise!!! The one payment is easier to track, although kind of less satisfying- I used to like seeing my debt drop each month, now I'm going to be making an ok payment and saving the rest of the "payment" to boost the interest payout on my savings in April. Kind of stoozing really. I am really proud of my pots though. I do have about 1k "available" if I lost my job tomorrow. That's reassuring to know.
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 23rd Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 3,203 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Thanks Ena
    Last time I had a horrendous virus and just didn't smoke...
    The drinking is ok, big occasions etc I like a few drinks and end up in rounds so I probably drink more, I don't go "out drinking" all that often, but when I do I like to go for it I guess!
    Thanks PSL
    The smoking is the main problem, it costs a fortune, I will knock it on the head soon I promise!!! The one payment is easier to track, although kind of less satisfying- I used to like seeing my debt drop each month, now I'm going to be making an ok payment and saving the rest of the "payment" to boost the interest payout on my savings in April. Kind of stoozing really. I am really proud of my pots though. I do have about 1k "available" if I lost my job tomorrow. That's reassuring to know.
    Originally posted by GoingToDoIt
    Could you consider not getting into rounds? Cause like you say, you drink more if you're drinking at the fastest drinkers pace. Plus it's sounds better to buy your own drink for a few quid than to go up to the bar and spend £30 or whatever!
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 25th Jul 17, 6:32 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    I could spend less I suppose, but I don't really want to?!?
    I had a 40th, a Hen party and a gig. They were all quite long so I was out for 12ish hours, day to night. Plus there was food, taxis etc. the £60ish quid per week on smoking is worse than a £80 night out...
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 25th Jul 17, 8:03 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    I would love to come out of rounds but think it is social death.
    But worse I think is when people what to buy you lunch and then you pay next time. I can not keep up with this and who I owe what to. Always feel like I am either not paying my way or funding other people. Trying to put a stop to this.

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun tho. And do be proud of your pots. That's a good achievement. xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 25th Jul 17, 8:04 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    I think I also need to hold an intervention with myself. Inspired from your post.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 4th Aug 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Where have you gone. Are you in the pub. How is your intervention going. how are you managing giving up
    Smoking. How is everything?

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 19th Aug 17, 6:24 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    I have not had an intervention with myself...still smoking
    Work has been very stressful, and I've had some nice weekends away and out....I have a wedding next weeekend and then summer is over, not many plans in the diary. I am actually sort of quite proud of myself in that although I blew my budget and racked up a bit of a cc debt on Dibs, I actually had enough in different savings and stashes to pay it off in full. My RDF is down to only £220, it was sad to see it go but then again it's money at the end of the day. I was seriously thinking I'd have to put £300 on a new 0% card.
    I've also managed to do a bit of "shopping" from my stores of clothes etc. Topped up a few household items like shampoo and conditioner on less that 50% offers.
    Money, KonMarie, it's reasonably well run enough for me to manage without going too much downhill if I take my eye off the ball, I guess. As soon as I crack the smoking life will be great!!!!
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 9th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Well the intervention isn't going very well. Still smoking although a few half attempts to stop. Mega overspending on the wedding recently, and buying clothes, and argh! Today I am making a proper effort to sort myself out. Am about to list some stuff on the bay. I am cooking a decent veg casserole from tea made from stuff that could have ended up being chucked if I didn't use it fast. I am going on my wii.
    This is it people, I am to log in here every evening after doing my swaggy and inny. I have no excuse...and if I don't get a grip now I never will.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 10th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    This post really resonates with me. I hope you can get things sorted. I think you will. And I wish it was easier for us singles. xx

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 10th Sep 17, 7:24 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Thanks PSL
    Checking in for the day- out to lunch, spent quite a bit. Oh well, had a great time. Got to £20 on inbox and cashed out. 4 items up on the bay, only £8 at opening bid prices, but one already has a bid.
    Last edited by GoingToDoIt; 10-09-2017 at 7:37 PM.
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 11th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    I am here. Going to use my rdf to pay my dibs card. V sad. Also going to use the spare bank money was saving for passport
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 13th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Checking in, missed yesterday as was babysitting and out late. Been out for tea and spent £££s. Looking forward to payday on Fri
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 14th Sep 17, 7:53 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Are you single Goingtodoit. I had assumed but maybe I am wrong.

I think going out for something to eat In The evening is perceived as being a luxury if you are in a couple but kind of needed if you are a singleton.

I'm doing lunch out today but would rather avoid it all. Payday soon. xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,046Posts Today

6,901Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin