Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Towser
    • By Towser 5th Oct 15, 4:37 PM
    • 844Posts
    • 1,446Thanks
    Towser
    What it's worth being frugal about?
    • 5th Oct 15, 4:37 PM
    What it's worth being frugal about? 5th Oct 15 at 4:37 PM
    For example: Juicing my own apples not really worth it. A health satisfaction. I suppose it's a matter of taste in more ways than one. But collecting own firewood really worth it financially.

Do you waste time being frugal?

Do you have examples where being frugal is a big financial saver?

Shopping at Aldi saved me £960 in one year. That I find is worth it.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 13-10-2015 at 5:21 PM.
Page 7
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 26th Mar 16, 11:36 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 15,778 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Re purposing
    Hiya

When my tray for storing knives, forks and spoons fell apart recently I remember 3 white china matching pots which I had put hyacinths in one year. I found them up in the shed, gave them a good scrub and now use those instead!!

A beautiful shawl that my son gave me also acts as a cover for my 'bedside table' - in reality a box in which my hoover was delivered!! I have had this arrangement for some 15 years - I occasionally think that I ought to get a 'proper' bedside table but then I think 'no, it will just become somewhere else to store clutter!!'

I suppose this is frugal but TBH I really cannot be bothered to go round shopping. I hate the crowds and the pressure to buy.

I think that charity shops do a fab job of repurposing stuff - I too have a mental 'charity shop list' - I am currently looking for some side plates that I like. As I go round I note how easy and economic it could/would be to furnish an entire house from the furniture etc that is in there!
    Nite all
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)

LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • Teddi
    • By Teddi 27th Mar 16, 2:00 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Teddi
    Its worth being frugal about anything if I didn't have a plan for that time already.

For instance if there is a load of leftover corporate food when I walk into the kitchen at work to put my glass in the dishwasher then it will only take me 5 mins to take it, I walk quicker to the station and stand on the platform for 2 minutes left. I wouldn't however wait an extra 10+ mins for a meeting to finish to take the food because although it would save me cooking that night it cuts into my time with my wife.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 27th Mar 16, 9:52 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I collected every carrier bag since 1996. People thought I was crazy collecting all these bags. Soon as the 5p a bag was introduced I stood outside local supermarkets selling them for 4p. My current net profit is £172.26.
    Originally posted by Blue Choo Choo
    Having a wander around cyberspace on this Easter Sunday morning and came across the above. Have to admit I laughed out loud.

As BBC Radio 4's More or Less programme would have done lets look at the numbers behind Blue Choo Choo extremely far fetched claim.

If you're selling bags at 4 pence each and you've made £172.26 that means you've sold.... wait for it.... 4307 bags.

The bag charge has been in place for about 6 months which means that you've been selling bags at a rate of 25 every single day since the bag charge was introduced.

The free bags you used to get were so thin they in my experience disintegrated into un-usability in around 6 months would be interesting to know how you got them to last..... 10 years!

I could go on but do I need to?
    • Towser
    • By Towser 8th Oct 16, 6:42 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    Towser
    I am having charity shop withdrawal symptoms. It's gnawing at me that I have chores to do instead of idling time away in these interesting places. I don't just look at the things but also the people.

Anyway I am down to my last comfortable £200 so I thought I would give up charity shop shopping for a while instead for chores until funds are even more comfortable.

However, I have ebayed and wait to sell something so that I can choose something again. Most likely Christmas gifts for the children.

I have also weighed in some old clothing which goes towards my freecycling petrol money.

I have been to CEX with the stuff the kids don't use and traded for a couple of games and DVD. This gives some satiety to my shopping addiction.

I would carboot but it is the wrong time of year.

What else is there especially for recycling the stuff around the house? Please come up with some good suggestions.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 8th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 1,775 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    I know I missed the pumpkin things last year, but it's almost time for them to be relevant again!

Just a note to people to check that their carving pumpkin is also suitable for eating as some area grown with chemicals not suitable for human consumption. It should say on the label.
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    Why on earth would someone go to all the effort of growing food you can't eat

I wanted to use the leftover pumpkin for food this year, but didn't get round to it, sadly. How do you do it? I'd love to make pumpkin cake or sth... How do you start cooking it? (I've done seeds before, but the flesh? Roast in the oven, then puree?)
    Originally posted by tuskel
    It's a bit of a pain - last time I did one I chopped it into chunks, steamed it skin side down, peeled and mashed. It can be quite liquid so roasting probably works well to avoid that. You can now buy canned pumpkin this side of the atlantic, which I use more frequently, but even fresh it's worth the effort - pumpkin pie is delicious
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • Gwendolyn
    • By Gwendolyn 8th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Gwendolyn
    Your own time.
    Originally posted by armyknife

To me this is a huge thing. I have very little spare time in between a demanding job, running the house solo as my OH works away a lot, looking after 3 children and ferrying them to a host of activities and trying to do some things for myself - like being a member of a choir.
    Financially, I was brought up to be frugal where I can but I do have my limits, which are mostly time imposed.
    I have learnt to cook and will batch cook - saving both time and money. In terms of clothes and books and other such shopping, I buy the vast bulk from charity shops and ebay. We have a lot of second hand in this house.

I would imagine we all have different time and financial pressures in our lives and we all have a different balance to strike. What works for one person won't work for another.
    If I had more time, I could certainly save a lot more cost but some of the choices I make are based on convenience as opposed to purely frugality. We make do and mend wherever possible but sometimes we spend money to get to the same result.
    For example, when a job needs doing at home we tend to do it ourselves if it's doable in holidays and at weekends like painting the windows. But there are times when we get trades in when given sufficient time we might be able to do it ourselves.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • 10,900 Posts
    • 30,665 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It's certainly a time v. money trade-off sometimes.

Now I'm retired then I think it's worth it for me to make the effort to grow what food I can/make things from scratch. Sometimes things don't work out. For instance I tried to make my own rice milk the other day and ended up chucking it - as I didnt like "my" version. But, if it had worked, then it would have ended up saving me money on buying the shop-bought version. By and large though - it works out worthwhile to do these things. I often make my own pesto - and that's a lot cheaper than the one I would otherwise buy. I usually make my own bread - and that's a LOT cheaper than what I would otherwise buy and so on.

I tend to view it that I need some hobbies - so I might as well have a couple of useful ones.

I think it might be helping - at last - on the food cost fronts (though, goodness knows, the start-up costs were high!). I've started to keep records again of spending and the last couple of weeks has seen me spending an average of £20 per week on food. I don't think that's bad - as the average British person spends £35 a week on food. All the more so considering I have real coffee/buy everything possible organic/am single - so that's three ways my food is due to be dearer than average otherwise.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 9th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I hate Halloween... I grew up in the 90s and where we lived seemed to attract a lot of trick and treaters. I was never allowed/or wanted to do it myself, and just couldn't understand the appeal of knocking on strangers doors at night to beg sweets... I used to find it a bit scary when people knocked on ours! We always just ignored them, but one year our front door got egg'd. It was horrible watching my poor mum shivering on her knees on the front step with the washing up bowl trying to get the egg off... Little sods.

Christmas is usually a quiet affair. I'm a school teacher, so get 2 weeks off. We usually break up around the 21st, and I go straight off to Mum and Dads the other side of the country. I'm usually with them until around the 28th, then back home to my own flat. I live alone but always decorate for Christmas. I put the fake tree up and other Christmasy bits up. Usually the Sunday closest to the start of December. Love Xmas decs, so like to make the most of them!

This Christmas looks much the same, but potentially quieter. Dad has been quite ill for a few months now, so I'm not sure he'll be up for much, and Mum is exhausted from looking after him. I plan to offer to cook the xmas food this year so that the two of them can have a proper relaxing day.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • janb5
    • By janb5 9th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 6,000 Thanks
    janb5
    I hope this helps someone!

My son is notorious for leaving something..somewhere! Being jammy, he always gets it back! To date he has lost travel bags, his wallet and my Ebay parcels...all came back!

He is currently staying with me part of the week so I typed his contact numbers on a piece of paper which feeds neatly in the small plastics given when you buy repeat lottery tickets. Each little plastic is in the zipped compartment of his bag. Not address- just telephone numbers for mobile, work and home.
    • Towser
    • By Towser 10th Oct 16, 11:43 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    Towser
    Budget Shopping List - Can you show me a more frugal way?

Fresh, frozen & chilled
    Chicken breast pieces
    White fish fillets
    Bacon
    Chicken wings/thighs/legs (depending on preference and price)
    625g cheddar cheese
    2 x 1% fat/semi skimmed milk 4pts
    8 Pork sausages
    Sunflower spread
    2 x 6 pack fromage frais
    Vanilla ice cream
    Frozen mixed veg
    Coleslaw

Dried goods
    1 kg rice
    Pizza base mix
    Cornflakes
    Porridge oats
    Variety pack biscuits (remove from list and bake your own if you have biscuit ingredients at home)
    12 pack crisps
    Jelly

Tins, cartons & bottles
    500g dried pasta
    Tin of sweetcorn
    Creamed tomatoes/passata
    Tomato puree
    Tin of red kidney beans
    Tin of green lentils
    2 x tins of baked beans
    Tin of haricot beans
    2 x tins chopped tomatoes
    2 x bottles high juice squash
    4 x 1 litre cartons pure fruit juice
    1 tin tuna

Bakery
    1 large baguette
    2 x 8 pack crumpets
    3 x sliced wholemeal/white loaves
    2 x 6 pack pitta bread
    12 pack scones (remove from list and bake your own if you have scone ingredients at home)

Fresh Fruit & Vegetables
    Bag of of mixed peppers
    Bag of onions
    Bag potatoes
    Broccoli (for fish pie)
    2 leeks
    Bag of carrots
    Garlic
    Bag of apples
    Basics bananas
    Basics pears
    Mushrooms
    2 x lemons
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 5,946 Posts
    • 14,930 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    It's worth being frugal on foodstuff where the family do not realise - the downshifting on spaghetti alone has saved me £50 this year & that's a terms Scout subs. I now buy washing up liquid in industrial tanks from the Chinese supermarket. Refilling Aldi bottles!

(It's getting rid of the looroll the chaps refuse to use that's proving trickier, but I gather the local primary has a use for it mopping up after messy play.)

Growing your own is a real swings & roundabouts thing - the fresh air, exercise, community, green gym, farm to fork palaver versus three kilos of carrots yellow stickered to 12 pence. I try to do a bit of both as I love time in the garden but there are only 24 hours total in the day & increasingly fewer with daylight.

It's worth making every car journey count. I commute, but deliver things to the courier drop point by my office coming in, and pick up the shopping going back. We go over to see Mother-in-law & take her shopping - her favourite supermarket has different things to ours, so we stock on the "odd stuff". We go to a museum, & riffle through the surround charity shops before we check out the chippy. (Teenage boys - keeping them fuelled is a combination of frugal & desperately pragmatic.)
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 10th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 2,778 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    May I just suggest to Rosemary and anyone else who hates throwing pumpkin away as it is food, that you make pumpkin fritters.

It can be steamed or simmered, roasted in oven with or without skin.

Take about a cupfull of cooked pumpkin. when cold, add about quarter to half a cup of plain flour, one egg and about one flat teaspoon of baking powder. Mix well, if very sloppy add more flour. Place spoonfuls, large or small, on a greased frying pan or griddle, and cook gently until baked through. Can also be finished off in the oven once browned slightly in pan. Serve sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Nice hot, can also be used for packed lunch or snack. This recipe can also be used with butternut.

A favourite in our house since kids were small.
    Last edited by Shropshirelass; 10-10-2016 at 2:03 PM. Reason: Improved instructions
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 10th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 1,775 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    May I just suggest to Rosemary and anyone else who hates throwing pumpkin away as it is food, that you make pumpkin fritters.

It can be steamed or simmered, roasted in oven with or without skin.

Take about a cupfull of cooked pumpkin. when cold, add about quarter to half a cup of plain flour, one egg and about one flat teaspoon of baking powder. Mix well, if very sloppy add more flour. Place spoonfuls, large or small, on a greased frying pan or griddle, and cook gently until baked through. Can also be finished off in the oven once browned slightly in pan. Serve sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Nice hot, can also be used for packed lunch or snack. This recipe can also be used with butternut.

A favourite in our house since kids were small.
    Originally posted by Shropshirelass
    Thanks! That sounds very tasty indeed, I shall add it to my pumpkin recipes. I should say, pumpkin never goes to waste in my house, far too good to waste. I'm always amazed that people carve it but don't eat it.
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • Towser
    • By Towser 10th Oct 16, 10:44 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    Towser
    I have just taught my 11year old son who loves cakes how to bake a chocolate victoria sponge as he wants to treat his mates at Roll n Rock and it had to be home made. It took a long time as he was exploring/just enjoying the chemistry involved in cooking.He was a joy to watch and to bond with. The time was invested in future when he no longer needs instruction/supervision. When I totted up the price of the cake I was amazed that it was worth being frugal over baking. All you old stylers probably know that already.I have just realized this. It has made me think maybe I should do a course and invest in time to be frugal but produce delicious home made cooking.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 10th Oct 16, 11:21 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 15,778 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Cooking your own saves money
    Evening all

Home baking saved my budget when I had two teenage boys + their mates hanging around my house!!Now it comes in handy when I am asked to go to a pot luck meal or to participate in some charity event - such as the recent 'Book and Bake' to save the church spire (I am not religious but I love the old building which also serves as a community centre in many ways)

One of the most useful things you can learn to make is foccachia - the Antonio Carrolucci recipe works every single time! You chuck all the ingredients into a bowl - give it a quick mix - potter off to work all day. Shape it when you get home - add flavours such as stick garlic slivers and rosemary or spread with tomato puree spinkled with a bit of cheese, salt, pepper and sugar - rise for another hour - bakes for 10 mins - wrap in tea towel and take to venue while still warm - impresses the socks off folk.

This also acts as a pizza base - I have never bought one - ever.
    Roast pumpkin soup is great. Several recipes on internet - go for a spicy one tho (sorry not at home at mo and recipe is there!)

I tough both my boys to cook - not only has it been great for keeping their budgets low - it has also been very useful to attract girls!! One of my sons now runs his own successful vegan cafe using some of his childhood recipes!!

So in short cooking is well worth being frugal about!

Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Oct 16, 7:17 AM
    • 10,900 Posts
    • 30,665 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    That focaccia recipe sounds interesting. I was getting a bit confused when trying to google though - as different variants came up and none of them seemed to be "just mix and leave all day to rise".

Any chance of the specific recipe please?
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 5,565 Posts
    • 29,527 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I'm pretty frugal in all areas of my life. I think it's worth doing for both money issues and environmental issues and I get a kick from it. Lunch is a great example I have made a batch of curried lentil, parsnip (A1d1 super6) & apple (free from allotment) soup. Cost 11p a portion, with hm roll (not sure how much but pence), fruit and yogurt. My lunch at work less than 50p! Lots of my colleagues go out and spend £3 on lunch over the month that's quite a saving!

I just think doing it yourself is much better than paying someone else - particularly big companies. Means I can choose to buy local independent and pay a bit more in other areas
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £263.42 Roadkill £27.21
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 11th Oct 16, 11:54 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 15,778 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    HM made breads etc
    Hiya folks

moneyistooshorttomention - am not at home for a few days as am dog and house sitting for my friend cos she is on holiday but will type it up on here ASAP but probably not for a week and I would hate to half remember it and give you a wrong steer!!

MS - I will have to get back into HM soups and other breads soon as it is getting to be Autumn weather now. I love interesting soups and haven't found any commercial ones as good!

Being thrifty today I went shopping for the first time this week and the friend I visited yesterday gave me some of the left over roast beef so I have main protein for the next couple of days - very yummy!! Have been quite thrifty but have also treated myself to those frozen 'pouches' for veg as I didnt want to buy a and stuff that I like was all in bigger packets. However, even replacing stuff of my friend's I have eaten still only came to £12 for the rest of the week!!
    Nite all

• Towser
    • By Towser 29th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    Towser
    I get a kick from it
    Yes me too being frugal is all the go.

So recently I have stopped buying in chazzer shops because we have everything we need. Not because I wanted to, just because I couldn't buy anything. The problem is I like to buy ahead for a rainy day and usually have to think of something to hunt down. Recently it hit me why don't I just buy the best "thing" in the chazzer store. This has made buying much easier today. It was a toss up between an embellished insect hairclip and pair of boys jeans. Could't decide so bought both fabulously easy!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 30th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 13,936 Posts
    • 108,698 Thanks
    JackieO
    As I am eating down my freezer so I can defrost it I discovered several packs of veg yesterday which will be turned into soup for this weeks lunches. So no shopping for me as yet and at the moment I have worked out that fingers crossed my food shopping this week will really be minimal as I only need some eggs and a cucumber and a carton of basic plain yogurt, with luck should come to around £3.50 odd and thats all I have on my shopping list.My new month starts on Tuesday so I shall shop then. Have a nice little chunk of cash left over from this month to go into the holiday fund.I'm just starting to see a bit of wriggle room in my freezer at last Bit more once the veg is out and soupified
    Have a good and frugal week chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 5/6 NSD so far.Spent £9.90 this morning, £50.10 left
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

552Posts Today

3,585Users online

Martin's Twitter