Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 2nd Oct 15, 8:24 AM
    • 694Posts
    • 5,091Thanks
    somerandom
    A Leap of Faith
    • 2nd Oct 15, 8:24 AM
    A Leap of Faith 2nd Oct 15 at 8:24 AM
    ... with £8k of debt strapped to my back....

I’m newly self-employed - and when I say “newly” I mean brand spanking new! Yesterday was my first day of being fully self-employed! For over a year I’ve been partially self-employed alongside working part time in paid employment. I’ve been squirrelling away money so that I’ve got some savings to act as a buffer for the early months of this venture. (I raised a significant part of that through the MSE £10 a day challenge so thanks to all the folk on that thread who have been a great support.)

I have around £8,000 of debt - £3,000 on a 0% interest credit card which expires in in 22 months & the rest is a loan which has 3 years left to run. Both debts were taken out to pay for training courses etc. so that I could set up and develop my business – so an investment (I think this counts as “good debt”) - but still a debt!.) At the moment I only earn the equivalent of around a third of my previous take home salary through my self-employed work so I need to up my game sharpish (definitely in the next 6 months after which my buffer will be gone!).

What else do you need to know …? I’m the lone parent of a teenage son, I’m no spring-chicken. Oh & I’ve got an elderly boiler that is on the blink and is causing me much anxiety – it’ll seriously eat into my buffer if it breaks down…

So this is a diary about living frugally but well, working hard but smart, busting those debts (no matter how “good” they are) and most of all, about taking a leap of faith to follow my dreams ….

I’ve never done an online diary before; this is the sort of thing I’d normally journal about privately. But since I anticipate that my biggest challenge will be holding my nerve, I figure that I need to go public - so any support and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    Last edited by somerandom; 02-10-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    Check out My Debt Free Diary "My Leap of Faith"
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5334341&highlight=
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 - £441.15/£300.00
Page 11
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 9th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    somerandom
    That's great Clarey- I'm still struggling to get into a routine with my Spanish (well everything really) due to having not been well and the other course I'm doing taking up so much time. Thankfully there's no new material in the other course this week so it'll give me a chance to keep up. I will use you as inspiration
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 9th Oct 16, 5:26 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    somerandom
    Good Afternoon

I hope you've had a good week.

I’ve been very up and down energy wise following my cold last week. It’s getting me down a bit feeling so sluggish. A friend has recommended some good vitamins that he said would give me a boost so I dragged myself up to the high st today to buy them - haven't started taking them yet as they are super-strong and need to be taken with a meal - but fingers crossed.

A couple of bits of potential organisational work came in out of the blue which feels good. And I’ve finally got around to completing an application that I’ve had hanging around for weeks for some potential work. It was an average week as far as earnings were concerned. I went to couple of evening events, which were enjoyable but they tired me out a bit.

Next week is busy but very little of it paid as I am Assisting on a Course (unpaid) for three days. Long days, no pay but fantastic experience.

What stood out for me from the review I carried out last week was that unlike most things in my business - getting organised is pretty much entirely within my control and potentially could make a huge change to my business & my life. I’ve been trying to move forward on that front this week but because of my grogginess I’ve made slow progress plus after a week of not being well the place was in chaos so it’s been mostly a question of getting back to a basic level of tidiness Next week I won’t be able to do much but after that I will make it my central focus.

So my main aim for next week is - get through it anything over and above that will have to wait until the following week

Until then...
    Last edited by somerandom; 09-10-2016 at 5:30 PM.
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 16th Oct 16, 9:22 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    somerandom
    Good Morning

I feel like a very different person this week - in a good way thankfully !!! Assisting on that Course for 3 days really shifted my energy and consequently I feel happy and engaged again. A huge relief from my point of view.

The Course was amazing and I got to meet lots of lovely new people & deepen relationships with others. Plus I got to watch two absolute Masters at work & learned loads. A really great week - earned very little but gained so much... & I got back on the wagon with my Spanish classes

So this coming week is fairly busy but a lot of it home based which means I can start to focus on being organised (can't say I've got a lot of enthusiasm for that at the moment but hey I know it's the right thing to do). I've got a couple of face-to-face meetings which is a good thing as it balances things out. One of them is to discuss some potential organisational work. I'm also enrolled on a Power Point course at the weekend - unbelievably I managed to get through the whole of my Career without using it....

Oooh & I've got my first conversation with the Woman who is helping me with my Marketing... Exciting!!!

Oooh & my son is on a work placement next week - it's unusual in that he will do a lot of it from home (he's helping with an organisations Social Media) - so it'll be interesting having the two of us working together in the house...

Have a great week
    • Clarey008
    • By Clarey008 23rd Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    Clarey008
    Ha ha, I don't know about inspiration, although I do make an effort to turn up and go. Half term next week and I'm going to miss the week after as I'm away. Gives me a chance to do a bit of work at home. I think that's the good thing about a class, even if you don't go every week it motivates you to do a bit more at home. Just picture the relaxed sunny lifestyle if you could speak Spanish Somerandom. Also it gets the brain cells working and gives you a sense of achievement when you start understanding things.
    What online courses have you found useful?
    Hope you have had a good week.
    Mortgage Dec 2015 - £21545 Apr 2016 - £19930
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 £79.98/£150
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 25th Oct 16, 10:37 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    somerandom
    Hi Clarey. I love your idea about picturing my Spanish speaking lifestyle. Funnily enough I went to a Spanish restaurant at the weekend with mostly Spanish speaking people in it - including the customers & the friend I went with. it gave me the boost I needed and reminded me of how much I want this. Therefore I've decided to prioritise it over my other study until the end of the year. The online course I'm currently doing is "The Science of Happiness" (Edx) and I started with a Spanish course that Lynne recommended (on Future Learn). I hope you enjoy your catch up time.
    Last edited by somerandom; 26-10-2016 at 5:23 PM.
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 29th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    somerandom
    Good Evening.....

It's been 2 weeks since I last updated - Unfortunately It's not the only aspect of my life I've been finding hard to keep up with....

I feel so behind on almost everything... I think it's due to a combination of work suddenly getting really busy combined with my son being around for the last couple of weeks on work experience / then half term. Also, and I've literally just remembered this, I've had a cold - so that hasn't helped really.

On the positive side - I've picked up a couple of pieces of organisational work which will take place next month. I've had a great meeting with the woman who is helping me with my Marketing - so I've got an action plan for that - although I've put very little into place. I did my Powerpoint course which was more enjoyable than i thought. I'm keeping up with my Spanish - just about..... I also had a fantastic lunch out with a friend last Sunday - we went to a Spanish restaurant (loads of Spanish speakers in there - including my friend who's from Venezuela) and it was just like being in Spain - we were in there 4 hours......

I've had a lot of new clients come in and they've all been absolutely lovely.

Oh yes - & the video portrait I made in early September was released - I was embarrassed at first as it was being shared and tweeted - after 24 hours I decided to embrace it and shared it on my own FB page etc... it was well received.... It really did feel like a big step outside of my comfort zone but one I am, in retrospect, glad I made.

Next week : fairly busy - 10 coaching sessions booked in and I'm co-facilitating a workshop on Friday (unpaid) for fellow coaches. I also need to start the preparatory work for the organisational jobs I've got - this will include interviews with about 11 people. I need to use my time wisely next week that's for sure....

Have a great week all
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 6th Nov 16, 8:43 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    somerandom
    Good Morning! Last Week has just flown by. It was busy - lots of coaching, interviewing staff for some organisational work I've taken on plus prep for and delivery of a Coaching workshop on Friday (which went really well).

Physically I've been a bit under par - my back has been playing up so I had to go to the osteopath. Explaining to him what has changed since I last saw him (Summer 2015) made me realise how much my life has changed since then - mostly this is good change of course, but along with that it flagged up the same issues I've been bleating on about for a while - lack of organisation which extends to lack of self-care.

I had plans for this being the weekend where I get back on track but I slept through most of yesterday - I had a positive, practical and emotional talk with my ex-husband in the morning about the future which wiped me out.

Today is a new day - I have 2 coaching clients scheduled for this morning. So if I manage to get to the gym / go for a walk and tidy the house in addition to that I will feel the day has been productive.

Next week is looking busy again and the following week is very full on - I am facilitating 2 organisational away days. So I need to hold self-care as my highest priority during this time. In fact - the weather is so lovely and bright I'm going to wrap myself up and go for a walk right now....

Have a great week folks xxx
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 12th Nov 16, 10:09 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    somerandom
    Good Morning - a very quick update from me as I have to work this weekend. I have 4 Coaching clients booked in and have to do the prep for 2 Team Building Days next week - one is almost completed.

This week has been BUSY!!! I find that I am definitely building up my stamina in terms of busy-ness which is good but that doesn't give me more hours in the day - hence working this weekend. Next week is super- BUSY too. I am absolutely not complaining but very much looking forward to next weekend when it's a normal - non-working weekend.

I'm still not at my best physically but trying to look after myself - went to osteopath again yesterday - it wiped me out so I was in bed by 8pm !! (Still there actually <blush> ).

Oh - I had my Tarot read last week - it's been about 10 years since I've had that done - my cards read very positively for my business - he told me that I need to take it overseas - obviously I liked the sound of that....

Hope you are all well & happy
    • MissShoes
    • By MissShoes 12th Nov 16, 9:03 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    MissShoes
    Just catching up.....tarot reading sounds spot on for your future!

xx
    DFD 4th July 2015 Happy Independence Day
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 15th Nov 16, 9:22 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    somerandom
    Thanks MsShoes - yep, I was pretty encouraged by the reading. It said a lot of things that I've been thinking and made me feel that I am heading in the right direction.
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 19th Nov 16, 8:42 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    somerandom
    Good Morning - I hope all is well ...

Turns out that what I thought was a dodgy back & being under par - was actually a full on cold that knocked me out for the whole weekend plus most of Monday & Tuesday. Because I had the two facilitating events booked I made a decision to prioritise rest and recovery.

Thankfully I was well enough to do the facilitating events. I was worried about doing them when I had so little energy but it turns out it was fine - just different. I'm normally quite "bouncy" when I'm Front of Room this time I think I came across calmer which had it's positives especially on one of the days when there was a lot of conflict around.

I love facilitating / coaching teams so much. I am now going to make a concerted effort to promote this part of my work. I still want to coach individuals but its the team coaching that I find REALLY exciting.

My friend and I are hosting a Street Wisdom event in December which I'm really excited about. Its up and advertised on their website and we've already got quite a few Attendees....

I'm so happy to have a "proper" weekend where I am fully off work. I plan to rest up today & tomorrow I'm meeting friends for lunch. Next week is fairly busy but not overwhelming (other than Monday which is a looooooong day............

And it's my son's 16th birthday on Friday. I plan to take him out after school - I'm keeping an eye on the weather because there's something outdoors that I'd really like us to do - I will let you know about it next week ....

Have a great week
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 26th Nov 16, 6:05 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    somerandom
    Hi All I hope you've all had a good week....

Mine was fairly busy - I've been going at a sluggish pace due to still recovering from bug. Monday was a ridiculously long day - up Town for a meeting early in the morning and not home until 11pm due to an evening event. Then on Tuesday I visited a friend who is terminally ill. I was grateful for the rest of the week being mostly based at home.

I've been feeling pretty unmotivated and lacking in energy but today I forced myself to do some stuff to get organised (the house - which of course is also my main place of work - was a tip) & I feel a lot better as a result.

I'm working tomorrow morning (coaching 3 clients) then will take the afternoon off - possibly to do something with my son to celebrate his birthday - we didn't do anything on the actual day as we were both tired & the weather was freezing...

Next week is looking much quieter which hopefully will give me the chance to catch up with background tasks - I've even got behind with my invoicing - which is NOT like me!! .

What I haven't said is how much I LOVE the actual coaching - I have got some absolutely amazing clients at the moment who I find incredibly inspiring and a real pleasure to coach - they are amazing and when I'm doing the work I feel like I'm the luckiest person in the world.

I hope you all have a great week
    Last edited by somerandom; 26-11-2016 at 6:09 PM.
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 26th Nov 16, 10:54 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 2,595 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    It's always nice to get organised at home isn't it?! I know I can't totally relax until it's a sort of tidy, not completely show home, but tidy enough that I'd let someone in

It must be lovely to see people transform in front of you, they get what they need from you and you get that satisfaction of knowing you helped guide them to whatever!

Have a nice afternoon tomorrow and happy birthday to somerandom junior
    Ll0yds CC £3180.05 £2779 / H@lifax CC - £1490 £0
    Nati0nwide CC - £558 £0 / Barcl@ycard CC - £890.80 £0
    Debt Apr 15 £6895.44 / Jul 15 £6330.30 / 5th Jan 16 £5217.26 / 4th Feb £4340 / 5th Apr £3505
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 29th Nov 16, 9:58 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    somerandom
    Thanks OrangeEna - yes it is satisfying work - much more so than my previous job. I do feel really fortunate to be doing this for a living.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

419Posts Today

2,783Users online

Martin's Twitter