Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hmc
    • By hmc 26th Sep 15, 11:19 AM
    • 2,413Posts
    • 1,198Thanks
    hmc
    Weddding
    • 26th Sep 15, 11:19 AM
    Weddding 26th Sep 15 at 11:19 AM
    Hi,sorry, where would I post to ask about what my son and I should wear to a November wedding on a budget ( not my wedding lol) thanks.
Page 1
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 26th Sep 15, 3:05 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 26th Sep 15, 3:05 PM
    • 26th Sep 15, 3:05 PM
    How old is your son? If an teen/ adult then a suit, shirt and tie. These can be picked up cheaply these days- primark has a good range. If you can't stretch to a full suit then smart trousers, shirt, shoes and tie.

As for you - a nice dress and shoes with a shawl/ pashmina/ nice coat.
    • Piggywiggy
    • By Piggywiggy 26th Sep 15, 3:11 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    Piggywiggy
    • 26th Sep 15, 3:11 PM
    • 26th Sep 15, 3:11 PM
    How old is your son? Are you going to wedding and reception or just the reception? How close are you to the couple getting married? Is it in a cold church or a warmer hotel?
    • hmc
    • By hmc 26th Sep 15, 5:39 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    hmc
    • 26th Sep 15, 5:39 PM
    • 26th Sep 15, 5:39 PM
    Thanks for the reply
    My son will be 11 we are going to the wedding and the reception and the evening do. It's in a mannor house and I don't do dresses lol
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 26th Sep 15, 7:35 PM
    • 2,851 Posts
    • 4,755 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    • 26th Sep 15, 7:35 PM
    • 26th Sep 15, 7:35 PM
    If its a manor house, you should wear a dress or smart suit. Your son should wear a suit as it is ettiquette, you can pick them up super cheap.
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • duchy
    • By duchy 26th Sep 15, 11:06 PM
    • 17,816 Posts
    • 45,051 Thanks
    duchy
    • 26th Sep 15, 11:06 PM
    • 26th Sep 15, 11:06 PM
    A smart trouser suit would be very acceptable if you don't do dresses for you and a suit for your son. BHS have boy's suits in their sale at the moment
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 27th Sep 15, 11:06 AM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 27th Sep 15, 11:06 AM
    • 27th Sep 15, 11:06 AM
    Yes, smart trousers, low heeled shoes and a nice top - the trousers can be black/ navy/ brown/ or some of the nice patterned ones in the shops at the moment. Avoid cream/ white/ pale colours.

Your son could get away with smart trousers and shirt if he's 11.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 28th Sep 15, 1:00 AM
    • 36,788 Posts
    • 33,009 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 28th Sep 15, 1:00 AM
    • 28th Sep 15, 1:00 AM
    If you want to get some ideas, you could book a session with a personal shopper at Debenhams or somewhere like that. You don't have to buy anything on the day although you'll get 20% discount if you do, and when one of my sisters did this she got a voucher for free tea and cake ...

But I'd be heading round the charity shops ...
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    Still knitting! Current projects: 2 shawls, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,286Posts Today

7,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin