Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The ICT Engineer
    • By The ICT Engineer 24th Sep 15, 5:31 PM
    • 599Posts
    • 583Thanks
    The ICT Engineer
    Orange Cash Card (Prepaid Mastercard) service shuts down 23.59 September 30th
    • 24th Sep 15, 5:31 PM
    Orange Cash Card (Prepaid Mastercard) service shuts down 23.59 September 30th 24th Sep 15 at 5:31 PM
    Orange Cash Card (Prepaid Mastercard) service is closing at the end of September 2015 and being replaced by the Optimum Prepaid MasterCard Issued by Prepay Technologies Limited, trading as Prepay Solutions.

These replacement cards should have been sent out weeks ago. No one that I know including myself have yet to receive the replacement card.

Has anyone received theirs?
Page 3
    • alanq
    • By alanq 26th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    alanq
    I should hope a not, why pay all their fees ...
    Originally posted by eDicky
    As I have not withdrawn cash, spent only in the UK and topped up by bank transfer I have paid no fees to Optimum. It has served my purposes at no cost.
    • MrMar
    • By MrMar 9th Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrMar
    It is now two years since the Optimum Card to replace my Orange Cash card arrived much belatedly.

On 6th August 2017 I received an email "Your OPTIMUM Prepaid Mastercard® will expire soon. We can't believe it's that time already - it's been great having you with us. And because you've been actively using your card, we're sending you out a brand new card - free of charge."

The old card expires on 30th September but there is no sign of a replacement . In my experience most card providers issue replacement cards 2-4 weeks before the old ones expire. Not Optimum. Once again I have taken the precaution of reducing my balance to £0 as I have no confidence that a replacement card will arrive before the old one expires. This time I will not be chasing.
    Originally posted by alanq
    Any sign of your card yet ?
    I seem to be another that's still waiting for their Optimum card and I had an e-mail on the 7th of July reminding me that my card would expire end of August and a free replacement would be sent
    After inquiring twice (thankfully without penalty),I received an e-mail notifying that it would be delayed upto 4 weeks but also 2 reminders that I have received my card and awaiting activation.
    Never had any problems using the card and haven't paid any charges either.....what grates is the small balance still hanging there
    Regards
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,612 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    The old card expires on 30th September but there is no sign of a replacement.
    Exactly the same thing happened with me.

When I rang them, they said there had been a mistake, and ordered me one straight away.

The card arrived about 7 days later.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 9th Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    eDicky
    As I have not withdrawn cash, spent only in the UK and topped up by bank transfer I have paid no fees to Optimum. It has served my purposes at no cost.
    Well, it can cost nothing if you didn't have to buy or replace the card (£5), if you use it only in the UK for purchases, no ATM withdrawals (2.95%), don't change your PIN (20p), don't need to load cash at PO or PayPoint (£1.50), never call Customer Services (£1) or cancel and redeem your funds (£5)... in that case it's no worse than using the bank account and debit card that you topped it up with (and could use instead). Maybe you can secretly pay for internet gambling (£1.50 fee) but I can't see much advantage over the totally free alternatives...
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Oct 17, 10:49 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,612 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    but I can't see much advantage over the totally free alternatives...
    Originally posted by eDicky
    The advantages to me are:-

1. It keeps my online spending isolated from my bank account, so any hackers can only steal/spend what's on the card, not what is in my bank account.

2. I can't spend on a whim.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • alanq
    • By alanq 10th Oct 17, 2:01 AM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    alanq
    No card arrived. I emailed them on 1st October telling them not to bother sending a replacement card. They replied "I’m sorry to hear you have decided to close your account ..." - no explanation or apology for failing to send a replacement as promised.

I wonder if it is anything to do with the problems that Monzo is having with its prepaid card manufacturer.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2017/10/1000s-of-monzo-applicants-hit-by-unexpected-delays-sending-out-cards
    Last edited by alanq; 10-10-2017 at 2:08 AM.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 11th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    eDicky
    The advantages to me are:-

1. It keeps my online spending isolated from my bank account, so any hackers can only steal/spend what's on the card, not what is in my bank account.

2. I can't spend on a whim.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    They don't seem to be advantages over the fee-free cards I mentioned, with which you can do the same, plus they have decent customer service and ability to redeem your funds without fees if you need to.
    • Techie
    • By Techie 12th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Techie
    I received my replacement Optimum Card this morning.
    • MrMar
    • By MrMar 12th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrMar
    Also received mine today,about six weeks late and with no apology of any kind,just a generic 'new' customer welcome
    ...but at least I have it
    • Techie
    • By Techie 12th Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Techie
    Same here. Would have been nice if there had been an apology, especially since my replacement card is already 2 months out of date - expires August 2019.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 21st Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    alanq
    No card arrived. I emailed them on 1st October telling them not to bother sending a replacement card. They replied "I’m sorry to hear you have decided to close your account ..."
    Despite the above a new card arrived this morning.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

1,262Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin