Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kitty777
    • By Kitty777 24th Sep 15, 4:37 PM
    • 437Posts
    • 415Thanks
    Kitty777
    Christmas presents from charity shops!
    • 24th Sep 15, 4:37 PM
    Christmas presents from charity shops! 24th Sep 15 at 4:37 PM
    One of the things that I love to do for Christmas (and birthday's) is to buy gifts from charity shops...I have found you can get some wonderful new/decent second hand things!!

This year, I have decided to do it more and more...sometimes you may have to compromise e.g there may be a gift set with a damaged box, so I take the items out and make my own bundle or if there is a vase/ornament you may need to give it a good clean but I think its lovely idea!

I have also found that doing it throughout the year is a good idea, so that you can make the most of the bargins.

What do others think? Does anyone else do it?

Today I saw some books for my nephews 40p each, some confetti (to go in gift bags etc) for 10p and some body shop strawberry shower gel/body cream (in their own perfect gift bag and tissue paper) for 50p!
Page 2
    • Sophs-mum
    • By Sophs-mum 19th Oct 15, 1:42 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Sophs-mum
    This is a great idea, I'd definitely do it myself but the charity shops near me never have anything good in, I'm always envious of people who find great charity shop buys!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Oct 15, 1:58 PM
    • 18,042 Posts
    • 45,985 Thanks
    Pollycat
    This is a great idea, I'd definitely do it myself but the charity shops near me never have anything good in, I'm always envious of people who find great charity shop buys!
    Originally posted by Sophs-mum
    Don't read this thread then:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3859129&page=209
    • Sophs-mum
    • By Sophs-mum 19th Oct 15, 2:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Sophs-mum
    Noooo Polly, I definitely don't want to read that ha!
    • tatabubbly
    • By tatabubbly 25th Oct 15, 2:41 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    tatabubbly
    I got some bits today from a charity shop for Christmas! I think you need to have a keen eye for stuff and have a few rules regarding what you'd get or not
    094 Sealed pot member! (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
    • skogar
    • By skogar 31st Oct 15, 9:51 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    skogar
    OH's parent's often pick up things for us in the charity shops for Christmas and we do for them too. It tends to be cheap silly things, a funny book, something they / or us might like to read, a bit of a joke. Things don't need to be in perfect condition although many of the books we do keep. Costs little we have a laugh and anything not needed is returned to a charity shop after we've read it etc. Also raises a little money for charities as well.
    • lucy*locket
    • By lucy*locket 31st Oct 15, 11:55 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    lucy*locket
    I've bought fiction books from charity shops in the past for friends who like reading, picking something I've read myself and think they will enjoy too, or a title that looks good. I'm planning to do the same this year for my book reading group friends with a home-made bookmark to make it more personal.
    • Towser
    • By Towser 1st Nov 15, 4:59 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Towser
    I think charity shops (round 'ere) charge too much for Christmas presents. I find a get a better deal on ebay even with a postage charge.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Nov 15, 9:47 AM
    • 18,042 Posts
    • 45,985 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think charity shops (round 'ere) charge too much for Christmas presents. I find a get a better deal on ebay even with a postage charge.
    Originally posted by Towser
    I think prices charged by (some) charity shops is an entirely different debate.

When you say 'charity shops charge too much for christmas presents' do you mean new items that some charity shops buy in or donated items?
    • madrhino
    • By madrhino 3rd Nov 15, 9:16 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    madrhino
    I bought a sparkly diamante necklace recently from a charity shop for a friends birthday, I just had to check it over to make sure all the stones were there. It was very pretty and delicate and the glass stones had a sort of green hue to them which made it a bit different from your usually diamante stuff. I put it in a little satin bag. My friend loves it. Haven't told her it was from a charity shop, don't think she'd be too bothered. But it looked as good as new.
    • Mayflower10cat
    • By Mayflower10cat 5th Nov 15, 5:32 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 2,050 Thanks
    Mayflower10cat
    We do this every year in my family. Budget is £10 per head, and present must come from a charity shop. We also give a donation of say £20 per head to a charity of our choosing, which represents what we 'would' have spent (plus the original tenner) on a new gift. It is incredible how much you can buy for £10 if you keep your eyes peeled and plan a bit ahead. Hardback books, CD's in brand new condition, lovely accessories and jewellery. I'm very fond of pretty china tea cups and saucers - with a box of posh tea and in a nice box they make a lovely, vintage gift.
    • Deannatrio
    • By Deannatrio 22nd Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Deannatrio
    Some areas have better selection of charity shops than others. I’ve recently discovered Harpenden Herts. Great selection there. Very reasonable prices.
    • bloomfelt
    • By bloomfelt 4th Oct 17, 9:20 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    bloomfelt
    I picked up a 10p book for my stepdaughter last week as we have run out of bedtime reading books, she was so excited when i gave it to her you'd have thought i'd spent a fortune! Like others have said children especially dont care if it's something they like.
    £5 a day June £55.42/£150
    £5 a day 2017 (so far)£1065.32
    £10 a day challenge 2016 (nov/dec) £379.39
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Oct 17, 9:35 AM
    • 18,042 Posts
    • 45,985 Thanks
    Pollycat
    bloomfelt
    We have a long-running 'charity shop bargain' thread here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3859129&highlight=nigel&page=339

Pop over and see us.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 4th Oct 17, 1:19 PM
    • 3,755 Posts
    • 2,765 Thanks
    sheramber
    A few years ago my grandson's favourite Christmas present was a toy lawnmower that cost 50p.

All the expensive presents were ignored in favour of it.

He thought it was a vacuum cleaner and for months ran to use it every time the vacuum was brought out.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 5th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    BBH123
    I wouldn;t have any issue with giving, or being given, a gift from a charity shop, or one which was second hand more generally, provided that it is a suitable gift.

I think particularly for younger children, where things are often grown out of quite quickly it can be a particularly good option, as you may be able to find things which are still in very good condition.

It does depend a bit on the recipient, though. I can think of one or two people I know who would be mortally offended and in those cases, if they were people I was giving gifts to, I would be very careful to avoid anything which could be identified as being second hand, or might even chose to give just a card rather than a gift.
    Originally posted by TBagpuss
    This.

I have no qualms about buying bits and bobs for me but I couldnt buy for others as I know they would be offended. Likewise so would I be if I'm honest, its one thing buyingfor yourself but totally another when buying for others.

I would also worry that the receipiant would try and take it back to the original shop only to be told they hadnt stocked that item since 1977.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,665Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin