Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GeordieRacer
    • By GeordieRacer 24th Sep 15, 3:33 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    GeordieRacer
    Home Improvements on Help to Buy homes...
    • 24th Sep 15, 3:33 PM
    Home Improvements on Help to Buy homes... 24th Sep 15 at 3:33 PM
    Hi guys,

Apologies if this is a duplication, can't seem to find any discussion or explanation on the matter anywhere...!

Basically, we bought our home using the Help to Buy scheme 18 months ago, and still have the 20% loan outstanding - no worries. I'm in line for a job promotion and was looking into having a conservatory built, however the terms of Help to Buy prohibit it. Seems black and white, but when I spoke to someone they said that although Help to Buy do not allow it, they cannot prevent you from doing so. Therefore my question is: Has anyone done any home improvements whilst on the Help to Buy scheme; and have you had any issues/feedback???

I do realise that this is viewed by Help to Buy as improper, as they would rather see me buy back the equity loan before making improvements to the house... but if it adds to the value surely they cant complain if we sell for more money (increasing the value of their 20% share)...

This is all hypothetical, and I'm playing Devil's Advocate a bit, so please don't judge me or question my morality...

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice!

Steve
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 24th Sep 15, 5:01 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    Furts
    • 24th Sep 15, 5:01 PM
    • 24th Sep 15, 5:01 PM
    I will chip in from a different angle. You might say that I too am playing Devil's Advocate. A properly and professionally designed and built sun room would add value to your home. A conservatory is a different scenario. These are light weight, temporary structures that are unregulated. Hence cowboy design and construction abound. As a result it is always debatable to what extent they will increase the value of a property. Indeed, some are so bad as to add no value at all, or to devalue a property.

A typical scenario is for a conservatory to add value, but not by the extent of the cost of building. Hence they represent poor value for many people. I know of people who have paid 25000 for conservatories that creak, leak and overheat and add little, or no value, to their homes

It is your choice, but I would not be adding a conservatory
    • GeordieRacer
    • By GeordieRacer 25th Sep 15, 10:01 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GeordieRacer
    • 25th Sep 15, 10:01 AM
    • 25th Sep 15, 10:01 AM
    Thanks Furts, I appreciate the advice. I know where you're coming from and in fairness what started out as the intention of a conservatory, by the time I'd ran through the design with a 'salesman' it was more brick and roof than window so I'd class it as a sunroom. The quote that I received was for a Thermo roof (rather than tile) but in the style of tile so my guess is it sits somewhere in between conservatory and sunroom.

I just don't know whether to go ahead and risk penalty or scrutiny from Help to Buy (even though they've verbally told me there's not a lot they can/will do)...?! They'd only really find out if we come to pay them back or sell the place and we have the valuation done - in which case, whatever the 20% of value is we would be paying them anyway!
    • Furts
    • By Furts 25th Sep 15, 12:01 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    Furts
    • 25th Sep 15, 12:01 PM
    • 25th Sep 15, 12:01 PM
    Thanks Furts, I appreciate the advice. I know where you're coming from and in fairness what started out as the intention of a conservatory, by the time I'd ran through the design with a 'salesman' it was more brick and roof than window so I'd class it as a sunroom. The quote that I received was for a Thermo roof (rather than tile) but in the style of tile so my guess is it sits somewhere in between conservatory and sunroom.

I just don't know whether to go ahead and risk penalty or scrutiny from Help to Buy (even though they've verbally told me there's not a lot they can/will do)...?! They'd only really find out if we come to pay them back or sell the place and we have the valuation done - in which case, whatever the 20% of value is we would be paying them anyway!
    Originally posted by GeordieRacer
    Keep your consumer savvy hat on and check what the salesman is offering you. The Thermo roof may not be legal. It remains a bit of a grey area. A few years back these did not comply with the Buildings Regulations. Now people are pushing for them and the legislators have backed off. However, some Local authorities will not accept them, so check the situation with yours.

Also look at the costs. These roofs are often sold as a premium product, when they are nothing special. I know of instances where a conventional brick built sun room would have been cheaper than these roofed conservatories.
    • barristaintraining
    • By barristaintraining 22nd Sep 16, 5:24 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    barristaintraining
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:24 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:24 PM
    Hi,

I've come up against a similar problem. How did you get on?!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

383Posts Today

3,629Users online

Martin's Twitter