Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 20th Sep 15, 8:28 AM
    • 1,402Posts
    • 1,438Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    How much energy do you use?
    • 20th Sep 15, 8:28 AM
    How much energy do you use? 20th Sep 15 at 8:28 AM
    I checked on Eon website and it had a graph which shows your energy usage per month compared to efficient local homes and average local homes.

Our electricity usage was way below both.
    Our gas was slightly higher than average some months, then between efficient and average other months.

Got me wondering whether we were actually using a lot of gas and why.

But on calculating from our meter readings, we're only using 1,200 kWh of electric a year and 10,200 kWh of gas a year.
    In a three bed end of terrace.

So we're obviously not doing too badly. Our monthly payment is currently £60, but we're in £80 credit at the moment. I checked comparison site and when our fix ends, we can switch and go down to £50 a month.

I wondered how this compared with users on here. How much Gas and Electric do you use at home?
Page 2
    • NittyGritty
    • By NittyGritty 22nd Sep 15, 1:05 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    NittyGritty
    3 bed
    3000 day units
    10000 night units

total 13000 all electric econemy 7
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 22nd Sep 15, 1:52 PM
    • 4,436 Posts
    • 2,203 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Since the OP can't be bothered to thank anyone for their input, I'll do it for him.

Thanks guys/gals.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 22nd Sep 15, 6:00 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Since the OP can't be bothered to thank anyone for their input, I'll do it for him.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    I'm actually offended by that.

Was meant to be a discussion about energy usage. I don't quite understand why your post was necessary?

I did in fact respond to several posts on this thread.

I am also an active member of this forum and have helped numerous people with problems from issues with insurers to giving step by step instructions on how to sound insulate a party wall, with pictures of the work.

I put a lot of 'bother' into this forum.

So why on earth you've decided to hop on a thread and post something like that I don't know.

Should I thank you for it?
    Last edited by FreddieFrugal; 22-09-2015 at 6:03 PM.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 22nd Sep 15, 6:28 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    1200kwh/pa or 136watts average use is low, how did you arrive at this figure, actual readings? what is the stated running costs and make/model of this fridge freezer
    Originally posted by bsod
    1200 kWh is our latest meter reading in kWh MINUS the one from same time last year.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the 136 watts average?
    • bsod
    • By bsod 22nd Sep 15, 9:26 PM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    bsod
    136w x 24hours x 365days = 1200 kwh more or less

so you manage to run a house on not much more than 2 old fashioned 60w lightbulbs.
    Last edited by bsod; 22-09-2015 at 9:29 PM.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 22nd Sep 15, 9:46 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    136w x 24hours x 365days = 1200 kwh more or less

so you manage to run a house on not much more than 2 old fashioned 60w lightbulbs.
    Originally posted by bsod
    Well according to info online, our fridge freezer uses 25 watts an hour (A++ rated)

Lighting over a day would be 5 watts an hour, as an average over the year

Dryer is B rated, only used maybe 15 times a year. That's 6w an hour over year

Washing machine 87 watts an hour average over a year.

Oven 11 watts an hour average over year.

TV 18 watts an hour average over year.

Can't be certain on these figures as I'm uncertain from the which? Info I'm using what settings have been used on the machines, we always use the Eco modes. Yes just had quick check and that wattage for washing machine is based on a mix of 60 and 40 watt washes on cotton setting. We use daily quick at 30. So the energy consumption should be lower than that, but it don't know by how much.
    Last edited by FreddieFrugal; 23-09-2015 at 7:13 AM.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 22nd Sep 15, 10:34 PM
    • 4,436 Posts
    • 2,203 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . .I put a lot of 'bother' into this forum.
    So why on earth you've decided to hop on a thread and post something like that I don't know. .
    Originally posted by FreddieFrugal
    And it seems clear that others have shown the good manners to thank you for your bother.
    • fluffymuffy
    • By fluffymuffy 22nd Sep 15, 10:52 PM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 5,449 Thanks
    fluffymuffy
    Elec - 11,600 kWh
    Oil - 1000 litres
    Logs - 4 m3
    Coal - 600kg
    Originally posted by fluffymuffy
    To add.....
    That we used electric heaters last winter as our oil boiler only does the hot water (but does a splendid job). Our electric heating bill should fall now we've just got an air source heat pump with a COP of 6.0. It gives 8kW of heat output for 1.4kW of electric.

5 people in ancient stone detached house.
    I am the Cat who walks by herself and all places are alike to me.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 23rd Sep 15, 6:41 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    And it seems clear that others have shown the good manners to thank you for your bother.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    And I have thanked others, in fact if you would 'bother' to look at the rest of the page you'd find that I have 'thanked' many of the posts.

If those thanks weren't there for you to see when you originally posted your rude comment, then perhaps it was because I had not yet had chance to thank those people.

Like most people I have time commitments to family, work and life that mean I may well not be able to check the forum every five minutes.

But that doesn't mean that I can't be bothered to thank people.

Thanks for your insightful post Consumerist
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 23rd Sep 15, 7:36 AM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Re the fridge/freezer in the garage scenario - our garage is not integral, it's attached to the side of the house, and we find that the old Zanussi machine that we use for Summer overflow ,is useless once outside overnight temps. dip below 4 deg C ie about now !! I have to "remind" my OH every year, to run down the contents - all that is left in the freezer section now, is a couple of loaves of bread and some of my fishing bait .

Still find the OP's leccy usage to be awe inspiring !! I suspect cooking our roast Sunday dinner uses more than that !!
    Last edited by brewerdave; 23-09-2015 at 7:39 AM.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 23rd Sep 15, 8:04 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Re the fridge/freezer in the garage scenario - our garage is not integral, it's attached to the side of the house, and we find that the old Zanussi machine that we use for Summer overflow ,is useless once outside overnight temps. dip below 4 deg C ie about now !! I have to "remind" my OH every year, to run down the contents - all that is left in the freezer section now, is a couple of loaves of bread and some of my fishing bait .

Still find the OP's leccy usage to be awe inspiring !! I suspect cooking our roast Sunday dinner uses more than that !!
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    I checked info for ours and indeed I think the temp in the garage will have been lower at times than its stated operating temperature range. However it's been in there for a year and doesn't seem to have had any ill effects, was working fine over winter.

Hope that doesn't shorten its life too much, unfortunately we don't have much choice! Either it goes in the garage or we don't have one!
    • tizerbelle
    • By tizerbelle 23rd Sep 15, 8:05 AM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 2,975 Thanks
    tizerbelle
    Got me wondering whether we were actually using a lot of gas and why.

But on calculating from our meter readings, we're only using 1,200 kWh of electric a year and 10,200 kWh of gas a year.
    In a three bed end of terrace.
    Originally posted by FreddieFrugal
    Wow, those are wonderfully low figures both for gas and electric.

2 bed victorian mid-terrace
    Last 356 days used
    1900 kWh electric
    14209 kWh gas

Just me and between 2 and 4 cats and dogs.
    The gas could/should be lower but because of the critters none of the internal doors in the house are ever shut (apart from the front room but that is only shut if I'm not in it!) so I am always heating the whole house when the central heating is on rather than just one or two rooms.
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 23rd Sep 15, 1:39 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 2,867 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    Gas 25,000KwH
    Electricity just under 4000KwH

(3br home, cavity wall insulation, attic insultation, double glazing, BUT four open fireplaces and a person who is ill and cannot regulate body temperature)

(I swelter!)
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 23rd Sep 15, 2:37 PM
    • 5,839 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    Pincher
    I don't Thank people just because they post.

Maybe some people are used to being "Liked" on Facebook, by "friends" who are obliged to be polite.

If I Thank somebody, it's because they said something interesting or useful. Otherwise, it's just a bunch people chatting away. Do you thank people all the time in a pub? And if you do, do they move away from you or closer?
    What happens if you push this button?
    • 1kevfp
    • By 1kevfp 12th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    1kevfp
    Dishwasher energy savings ?

Is there a real energy saving to be made by allowing dishwasher dishes to "air dry " after washing/ rinsing cycle has finished?
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 12th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 3,301 Posts
    • 4,064 Thanks
    jack_pott
    I use about 1200kWh pa.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 12th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Over the year:
    Electic: 2261
    Gas:299

Small mid-terrace house, just me.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 12th Oct 16, 8:35 PM
    • 4,436 Posts
    • 2,203 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I don't Thank people just because they post. . .
    Originally posted by Pincher
    In general, I'd say that was a fair point.

But if you were looking for information and someone had the good grace to respond with the information you were looking for, wouldn't you have the good manners to say thanks?
    • hign10pines
    • By hign10pines 14th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    hign10pines
    Move in readings (25th September 2015)
    Gas = 1909
    Electric (day) = 13982
    Electric (night) = 4488

Today's readings (14th October 2016)
    Gas = 2235
    Electric (day) = 15283
    Electric (night) = 4835

Difference
    Gas = 326
    Electric (day) = 1301
    Electric (night) = 347

Supplier = British Gas
    Bills = £22.20 (electric) + £21.78 (gas). Now in credit.
    Property = 2 bed flat
    Occupants = 2 adults
    DFD Aug 2018
    Will I ever learn?!
    • The Green Hornet
    • By The Green Hornet 14th Oct 16, 10:28 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    The Green Hornet
    2 bed mid terrace with solar panels

<1000 kWh Electricity
    <8000 kWh Gas

Income from solar panels covers energy bills.
    6 x Sharp 220 W panels. 1.32 kWp. SMA Sunny Boy 1200 inverter. South facing 30 degree pitch roof with no shading. Eco-eye SmartPV monitor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

3,764Users online

Martin's Twitter