Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 19th Sep 15, 5:14 PM
    • 704Posts
    • 3,153Thanks
    Tink_04
    Slow cooker favourites
    • 19th Sep 15, 5:14 PM
    Slow cooker favourites 19th Sep 15 at 5:14 PM
    I'm trying to use my sc twice a week and have some recipes I use regularly but I'm finding it harder to find something different to do that will be a good family addition.

I make

beef chilli
    Beef curry
    Jacket potatoes
    Whole chicken
    Chicken casserole
    Sausage casserole
    Pulled pork

These are family-friendly and great to make but see other posts and everyone seems to do much more so I'd love a hand!

I try to avoidd mince in mine and soups as I prefer them made in the pan but.that's just us.

Id love to have another simple chuck everything in type meal I can make that's a bit different and would freeze well as there is always extra.

Thanks xx

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Zorica; 22-09-2015 at 5:28 PM.
    £2 Savers club
    Money Saving Mission 2016
Page 4
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 3rd Oct 15, 7:29 PM
    • 23,115 Posts
    • 60,821 Thanks
    meritaten
    Do any of you make Liver and onions in the SC? I bought a couple of recipe books (from 'The Works'), but sadly nothing similar to the Liver and Onions I do in the frying pan - and tend to over cook the liver so it goes a bit leathery!
    if anyone can give me a ballpark figure for timings I would be sooooo grateful. OH loves liver and onions and I have no clue how his mum used to do it so the liver was really tender (or so he tells me).

oh and I did my gammon joint in the SC on Friday - tasted gorgeous but it was more like 'pulled pork' on the plate! didn't need the extra hour I factored in as the joint weighed more than the recipe stated.
    Last edited by meritaten; 03-10-2015 at 7:31 PM.
    • happy35
    • By happy35 3rd Oct 15, 7:44 PM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    happy35
    Do you soak the liver for a few hours in milk before you cook it? I do cook liver for OH and find the milk helps keep it soft when cooking, when I have missed this step out they can tell the difference. i have never made it in a slow cooker though
    • mrs motivated
    • By mrs motivated 4th Oct 15, 12:17 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 4,031 Thanks
    mrs motivated
    Do you soak the liver for a few hours in milk before you cook it? I do cook liver for OH and find the milk helps keep it soft when cooking, when I have missed this step out they can tell the difference. i have never made it in a slow cooker though
    Originally posted by happy35

I also soak liver in milk for a couple of hours. Calves liver is so tender when cooked, although its expensive these days, that's if you can actually find any
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Accessible EF #152 £1000/£1000

Vets EF £2000/£2000
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 4th Oct 15, 5:12 PM
    • 23,115 Posts
    • 60,821 Thanks
    meritaten
    ahhhhh - no, I haven't been 'soaking' the liver in milk, I just dipped it in milk before coating in flour!
    OH likes lambs liver and I can honestly say I haven't seen calves liver for sale.
    hmmmm - will try soaking in milk overnight, flash fry and do it on low for five hours but allow a couple of hours being kept warm just in case it needs more cooking.

Thanks!
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 5th Oct 15, 7:03 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 3,153 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Sausage casserole in mine again tonight - have chill in the freezer so will have chill and jackets tomorrow for tea.

I have been using mine loads now that autumn is here and it makes like so much easier - I still haven't braved the soup yet, baby steps
    £2 Savers club
    • scon1234
    • By scon1234 5th Oct 15, 8:29 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    scon1234
    Beef and ale stew!

500g Beef
    1 bottle of beer (Newcastle Brown)
    1 stick of celery
    1 onion
    2 carrots
    (dice all of the veggies, and cube the beef)
    1 stock cube
    1 tin of tomatoes
    2 bay leaves (if you have them)
    1 big desert spoon of plain flour
    Salt & pepper

I like to sautee the chopped veggies before bunging the lot in the slow cooker. I don't even brown the meat.

Also Mexican chicken. Chuck in some chicken (white or dark meat is fine) cover in with a jar of salsa. Cook until you can shred the chicken with two forks. Serve over rice, or over tortilla chips with some grated cheese and sour cream if you're after a treat.
    GROCERY CHALLENGE: October £64.62/£200
    • CAT££
    • By CAT££ 25th Oct 15, 5:39 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 3,521 Thanks
    CAT££
    I've bought a 6.5l slow cooker from Aldi today for £16.99.

Have settled down to read this thread to get some ideas.x
    Cat
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 26th Oct 15, 6:46 PM
    • 23,115 Posts
    • 60,821 Thanks
    meritaten
    that is the same make but TWICE the size of mine! and I seriously considered buying it .................but, there is just the two of us. (I had purchased the 3.5 litre one for £12.99 a few weeks back).
    it does make a delicious beef and ale pie though, I use similar recipe to scon but without the tomatoes. and I usually just buy ready rolled puff pastry, cut it into 8 portions and bake what I need and freeze the rest for more pies! easier than fiddling around putting pastry tops on pies. just dish it out of SC, top with your cooked pastry and bobs your auntie!

PS - the 'Hobgoblin' Ale in Aldi is just as good as Newkie for this recipe.
    Last edited by meritaten; 26-10-2015 at 6:49 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Nov 15, 9:54 AM
    • 2,029 Posts
    • 15,035 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    sorry I am a complete SC novice and have tried to search instructions but am finding it a struggle

I have a 700g shoulder of pork currently defrosting so I can cut off the fat (crackling)

I would like to cook it to the consistency of pulled pork but just have it with gravy not BBQ sauce

Do I need to add stock to the SC to start it off and if so how much?

Thanks
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 14th Nov 15, 10:24 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 3,153 Thanks
    Tink_04
    I usually just put 100ml of stock with some onions, carrots and celery in the bottom - salt and pepper and it comes out lovely xx
    £2 Savers club
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 14th Nov 15, 5:41 PM
    • 23,115 Posts
    • 60,821 Thanks
    meritaten
    I don't see why it wouldn't work just doing it with some onions carrots and celery, if you have some, and a cupful or so of stock if you intend doing a gravy.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Nov 15, 5:24 PM
    • 2,029 Posts
    • 15,035 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Just to report back - once the fat (crackling) was removed it was a fairly small pork joint, but I added some onions and 100ml of water and some salt and pepper and cooked on high for 4 hours - it was delish ! So tender and the juices made lovely gravy.

At the moment I have creamy beef tagine bubbling away ... diced beef and cauliflower with onions, hot paprika, turmeric and ground ginger - cook until the cauli breaks up and makes a creamy sauce.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 17th Nov 15, 6:43 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 3,153 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Sounds lovely!

Glad it turned out well xx
    £2 Savers club
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 17th Nov 15, 7:04 PM
    • 23,115 Posts
    • 60,821 Thanks
    meritaten
    Skint - that sounds lovely! hmmmmmm - I have all the ingredients so I may well do that tomorrow!
    • bigdaftkid
    • By bigdaftkid 19th Nov 15, 9:11 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    bigdaftkid
    www.slowcookercentral.com has hundreds of recipes including, breakfasts, main meals, puddings, bread, and cakes but be warned you will become addicted
    Proud to be living a frugal lifestyle
    • Lindy&Boo
    • By Lindy&Boo 22nd Sep 16, 11:04 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lindy&Boo
    Brisket of Beef
    Brisket of beef done in the slower cooker is very tasty
    I brown the meat in a pan and put it in slow cooker with, carrots,onions and beef stock
    • Kymyg
    • By Kymyg 22nd Sep 16, 5:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kymyg
    I love mine use it more in winter month's.
    Any type of curry using cheep cuts of meet.
    Pulled pork plain so you can add own sauce.
    Coca-Cola chicken
    Spag bol
    Chilli's
    Stews again different meets and flavors
    Poach fish
    Fish casserole
    Shepherds or cottage pie I do the topping separate.
    Good to stew fruit and freeze

I use mine to make bulk meals put in dishes or tubs and freeze. Good for busy people or even like me pregnant ladies for after baby is born.
    • Angel_Jenny
    • By Angel_Jenny 22nd Sep 16, 6:09 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 8,937 Thanks
    Angel_Jenny
    I made sausage casserole in mine yesterday - some sausage brands seem to work better than others!
    If you love life, life will love you back.
    • nanny beach
    • By nanny beach 23rd Sep 16, 10:09 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    nanny beach
    I have got a big original Tower, slo-cooker had it since the 80s.Bought a book on Amazon for pennies by Anntte Yates, easier to say what CANT you cook in them! people used to laugh at me for that and my Pressure Cooker, havent got one now because I have induction. Doesnt work on there. My younges daughter 24, is a convert was VERY surprised at that one! You can tenterise very cheap cuts of meat with a long slow cook.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 23rd Sep 16, 12:24 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I made sausage casserole in mine yesterday - some sausage brands seem to work better than others!
    Originally posted by Angel_Jenny

I find slightly posher sausages work best for casseroles cos they have a slightly tougher skin, the cheaper ones tend to go a bit soggy unless you add them right at the end of cooking.
    grocery challenge for Sept 2016 £160
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,263Posts Today

6,642Users online

Martin's Twitter