Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 16th Sep 15, 11:49 PM
    • 16,019Posts
    • 59,588Thanks
    mum2one
    50 things in 2 years - for what would have been my sisters 50th birthday
    • 16th Sep 15, 11:49 PM
    50 things in 2 years - for what would have been my sisters 50th birthday 16th Sep 15 at 11:49 PM
    AI have just had a mad idea tonight, its a weird one how it came about, my parents lost their 1st daughter with cancer, she was only 18 mths old, and this month she would have been 48. Its weird as I was born 2 years and 2 days from when my sister passed away, my daughters birthday falls on 2 days later than what would have been my sisters bday.

So I am setting myself a challenge to do 50 things for charity, by September 2017 (her 50th).

Thinking...
    Cancer - she passed away with cancer,
    Dogs - She loved dogs, the dog my parents had when she was born, he then became my first dog.
    Baby/Child - She was diagnosed as a baby when diagnosed

Its not going to be great feats like climbing everest/ raising 10k, more on a personal level, whether taking bag of items to charity shop, knitting blanket for dog, giving towels, bedding to dogs home.

In planning mode at mo, doing palm reading at swishing event, for kids mobility charity, crochet 10 blankets for charity - for babies that are born sleeping..., next charity shop trip, drop off a bag at hospice shop.

xx

1 - took bin bag of items to childs charity shop
    2 - Brought bag of dog biscuits - homeless mans dog
    3 - 8 bags to charity shop
    4 - hire stall at dog charity
    5 a attended Xmas fayre - dog charity - made donation
    6 - bin bag of clothes - local charity shop
    7 - Sourced prizes for Christmas fayre
    8- donated tree/ decs etc - to someone who needed a pick up
    9 - mass donation to local doggie charity
    10- Another charity run - local doggie charity
    11 - doggie charity shop drop - be having my own parking space soon....
    12 - 25 hats and 5 blankets - angel babies
    13 - Given an interview to McMillain re cancer / grants available / costs etc
    14 - crocheted blankets (mum) and towels - dogs trust
    15 - Took 6 bin bags worth shoes / clothes / smellies etc - doggie charity
    16 - suitcases etc - doggie charity
    17 - sheets / towels - dogs home
    18/19/20 - 3 more visits to doggie charity
    21 - lent a family the shower on hols.
    22 - batch 2 baby charity (fb group), 20 pairs of knitted booties, angel dress and
    bonding squares
    23 - 3 weeks away over summer, - every time I had change in shop - change
    (bar £1 coins) were all put into the charity boxes at tills (cancer / children
    /animals
    24 - 2 x quilts, sheets, pillowcases, quilt covers - doggies
    25 -3 x premier knits -cardigan, nappy cover, socks, bonding squares - facebook group
    26 - books to vets - sell them to raise money for guide dogs
    Last edited by mum2one; 21-11-2016 at 12:25 AM. Reason: add in
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 25/50
    Angel Baby Item, 25 hats,5 blankets, 20 prs booties, 4 sets of bonding squares, angel dress, 3 sets cardi, blankets, bonding squares, hat, nappy covers
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 4
    • neezy
    • By neezy 25th Sep 16, 7:55 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    neezy
    wow, what a fantastic idea. Best of luck to you
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 4th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 16,019 Posts
    • 59,588 Thanks
    mum2one
    A year in - half way thou and half way thou my challenges, knitting needles are clicking away - doing some premmie knits, get there slowly but surely xx
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    Angel Baby Item, 25 hats,5 blankets, 20 prs booties, 4 sets of bonding squares, angel dress, 3 sets cardi, blankets, bonding squares, hat, nappy covers
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 8th Oct 16, 12:02 PM
    • 6,921 Posts
    • 17,019 Thanks
    Anglea
    Mum2one - I forgot to ask, did you do that interview for Macmillan you mentioned before?

• mum2one
    • By mum2one 8th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 16,019 Posts
    • 59,588 Thanks
    mum2one
    Mum2one - I forgot to ask, did you do that interview for Macmillan you mentioned before?
    Originally posted by Anglea
    We have ended up pulling out of it, we have literally had a ngtmare with npower side of the deal - we've been threatened with court action for outstanding bill (which was wrote off by McMillan) have demands for money every mth despite being on a fixed term payment - I've lost count of number of calls and complaints that have been logged. In a way it's been lucky that it is me that has dealt with it all and not mum, McMillan have been great and tried helping along the way - as I said to them and he service offered is amazing but how can I recommend it when we're going throu all this. I thought it was a new scheme - not been active for 9yrs - yet half the advisors don't know so i can only assume call centre - high turn over of staff xx
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 8th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 6,921 Posts
    • 17,019 Thanks
    Anglea
    I didn't realise the help from McM was meant to be financial I thought when you wrote about the interview before you meant emotional or practical support.

I hope the hassle will end for you mum2one. My friend has had non stop problems since moving into her new place earlier this year with utilities - gas, electric, water as well as rent and it's making her ill because whenever she thinks it will all be sorted out, it just gets even more mixed up - and none of it is her fault but the various companies.

So I can well imagine how you must have felt with all that going on in your family and having all those threats and you would be assuming that it would all be taken care of yet it's still an ongoing problem.

• mum2one
    • By mum2one 9th Oct 16, 12:08 AM
    • 16,019 Posts
    • 59,588 Thanks
    mum2one
    I didn't realise the help from McM was meant to be financial I thought when you wrote about the interview before you meant emotional or practical support.

I hope the hassle will end for you mum2one. My friend has had non stop problems since moving into her new place earlier this year with utilities - gas, electric, water as well as rent and it's making her ill because whenever she thinks it will all be sorted out, it just gets even more mixed up - and none of it is her fault but the various companies.

So I can well imagine how you must have felt with all that going on in your family and having all those threats and you would be assuming that it would all be taken care of yet it's still an ongoing problem.
    Originally posted by Anglea
    It was recommended by Mcmillan, joiny scheme with NPOwer - cancer patients / family - they write off a bill (for us was nearly £300) that was elec only over 3 mth winter, then you have a fixed payment for 2 yrs - if u pay £50 a mth - and u use less then no refund - if u use more then the costs are absorbed.

Its unbelievable all it needs is a to communicate with B, I dont envy your friend, good luck xxx
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 14th Oct 16, 12:09 AM
    • 16,019 Posts
    • 59,588 Thanks
    mum2one
    24 - quilts and massive bag of bedding - doggies home

25- 3 premier sets - cardigan, nappy cover, socks, blankets, angel dress, bonding squares, added extras bonding squares, 30 pros knitted booties - posted premix charity x
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 21st Nov 16, 12:24 AM
    • 16,019 Posts
    • 59,588 Thanks
    mum2one
    26 - mass book clear out to vets - they sell them to raise funds for guide dogs xx
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

3,922Users online

Martin's Twitter