Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftymanc
    • By thriftymanc 13th Sep 15, 6:14 PM
    • 735Posts
    • 1,800Thanks
    thriftymanc
    Anyone used the Shpock app?
    • 13th Sep 15, 6:14 PM
    Anyone used the Shpock app? 13th Sep 15 at 6:14 PM
    Just as the title says really... anyone used it to sell anything? Good/bad experiences?
Page 3
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Apr 17, 9:18 PM
    • 58,759 Posts
    • 41,603 Thanks
    soolin
    Shpock seems very active this weekend, I've had 2 sales and in fact I had two people after the same item at one point. I also sold something during the week that was posted.

Considering how little I have listed it is surprisingly profitable. One of the items I sold this morning had been on etsy for 8 months, and I sold it on Shpock within 2 hours of listing it and for more then the etsy price. Buyer also paid via bank transfer, her idea , not mine, and I'm posting on Tuesday.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 14th Apr 17, 9:51 PM
    • 13,539 Posts
    • 23,037 Thanks
    pulliptears
    Shpock seems very active this weekend, I've had 2 sales and in fact I had two people after the same item at one point. I also sold something during the week that was posted.

Considering how little I have listed it is surprisingly profitable. One of the items I sold this morning had been on etsy for 8 months, and I sold it on Shpock within 2 hours of listing it and for more then the etsy price. Buyer also paid via bank transfer, her idea , not mine, and I'm posting on Tuesday.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Really quiet for me
    I've listed loads at incredibly cheap prices after clearing the loft and not a peep. Hope tomorrow picks up.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• jbond
    • By jbond 17th Apr 17, 8:30 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jbond
    Don't forget, it will depend a lot on exactly WHAT you're selling of course?!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Apr 17, 10:48 AM
    • 58,759 Posts
    • 41,603 Thanks
    soolin
    Don't forget, it will depend a lot on exactly WHAT you're selling of course?!
    Originally posted by jbond
    My items are mainly vintage collectables, the couple of newer items and clothes got no interest at all.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 8th May 17, 4:05 PM
    • 13,539 Posts
    • 23,037 Thanks
    pulliptears
    Here is an interesting one....

About a month ago I sold an item. Few hours later buyer messages with some excuse that car broke down etc, can no longer afford. Usual tripe. Feedback showed that buyer was a 'messer' so in turn I left one star and a truthful comment of 'Backed out of purchase'.

In turn she left a scathing comment about how she was going to buy but car broke down and I wouldn't wait. Pack of lies basically but I left her to it as her own feedback revealed her to be a bit of a fruit loop.

Was flicking through yesterday and noted my feedback for her, and indeed all the other poor feedback she had was gone. This annoyed me a little so I had a moan at Shpock who duly removed the feedback she left for me.

I guess the moral of this is that Shpock seem pretty willing to remove poor feedback regardless of circumstance, so don't rely on a buyer/sellers rating!
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• soolin
    • By soolin 8th May 17, 4:25 PM
    • 58,759 Posts
    • 41,603 Thanks
    soolin
    I'm still picking up sales, but am also getting timewasters and some very strange requests. The usual request is for me to deliver, not only because of the usual reasons - sick child, no car, disabled person etc, but on one occasion last week it was because they are a super busy executive and don't have time to visit people to collect, so would pay my £8 asking price but I would need to deliver it to them once they call to say they are on their way home from work. I've also had someone seriously expect me to deliver my £5 item to them at Canary Wharf where they work - unbelievable.

Then one that made my OH really cross was a chap who messed me about collecting, then when he finally did turn up out of the blue actually commented on the fact that we had several cars on the drive, and suggested it would be a good idea if my OH would drive him home to save the bus journey!
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th May 17, 7:50 AM
    • 58,759 Posts
    • 41,603 Thanks
    soolin
    Does anyone know how to relist something when a buyer messes you around and doesn't bother to collect?

Once again I have a buyer, bought a couple of bits and has now failed to turn up 3 times, I can't see how cancel the sales and re list but I have reported the buyer to shpock.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Ting-Tang
    • By Ting-Tang 19th May 17, 12:37 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Ting-Tang
    Soolin, I don't think you can relist as such.
    When this happens to me - which is a lot - I just list again from scratch. Annoying, but at least it's quite quick and easy to do compared to ebay.

Shpock really is a timewasters paradise, although I have actually had a few surprisingly good sales of antique and collectable items so keep at it!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th May 17, 3:46 PM
    • 58,759 Posts
    • 41,603 Thanks
    soolin
    Soolin, I don't think you can relist as such.
    When this happens to me - which is a lot - I just list again from scratch. Annoying, but at least it's quite quick and easy to do compared to ebay.

Shpock really is a timewasters paradise, although I have actually had a few surprisingly good sales of antique and collectable items so keep at it!
    Originally posted by Ting-Tang
    I've been fiddling around and it is possible to relist, it isn't at all obvious and any explanation I can give will be confusing, but there is a re list option if you get a time waster.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • nainoo
    • By nainoo 19th May 17, 7:43 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 9,684 Thanks
    nainoo
    I have used it recently but have had either no interest or offers of people wanting my item for next to nothing! I think I may stick with Ebay as I can't be asked to deal with time waters plus working out how to relist an item etc etc

Mind you I have spotted a couple of items I like and may make a reasonable offer ( not a ridiculous one ) and of course collect myself as it is easy enough to see how close an item is and if too far I just wouldn't buy it ( unless I was willing to travel and collect )

It annoys me when people don't just want something for nothing , they want everything for nothing
    • techno79
    • By techno79 5th Jun 17, 9:26 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    techno79
    Just thought I'd add my experience. I only heard about shpock a couple of months ago after seeing an advert on the London tube. I used to sell odd things I no longer wanted on ebay but I had more than my fair share of bad experience. But really due to lack of decent alternatives, I had to persevere. Then I tried gumtree and I had limited success with that but still wasn't as easy to sell stuff. After a string of bad experiences on ebay, I decided to boycott it. Their huge fees and crappy experience as a private seller just made it completely annoying.

I'm so pleased to have found shpock now as I've managed to list a ton of stuff that didn't sell on ebay or gumtree. And they've all sold reasonably easily and quickly. I've even gotten my sister on it who doesn't live in a big city and she's managed to sell stuff too.

I can truly see the downfall of ebay now that a reasonable alternative has come along. Ebay have milked their users far too much and I will be happy to see them struggle.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 58,759 Posts
    • 41,603 Thanks
    soolin
    Just thought I'd add my experience. I only heard about shpock a couple of months ago after seeing an advert on the London tube. I used to sell odd things I no longer wanted on ebay but I had more than my fair share of bad experience. But really due to lack of decent alternatives, I had to persevere. Then I tried gumtree and I had limited success with that but still wasn't as easy to sell stuff. After a string of bad experiences on ebay, I decided to boycott it. Their huge fees and crappy experience as a private seller just made it completely annoying.

I'm so pleased to have found shpock now as I've managed to list a ton of stuff that didn't sell on ebay or gumtree. And they've all sold reasonably easily and quickly. I've even gotten my sister on it who doesn't live in a big city and she's managed to sell stuff too.

I can truly see the downfall of ebay now that a reasonable alternative has come along. Ebay have milked their users far too much and I will be happy to see them struggle.
    Originally posted by techno79
    I don't really see SHpock in the same area as eBay, I do sell on Shpock but only unwanted items I have lying around, it certainly doesn't seem to fit the bill for my business sales at all. The majority of eBay business is now the truly business sellers who pay for shops or listing fees , I suspect they can easily afford to lose private sellers with one off items who don't even pay to list.

For me it is a good way of getting rid of larger unwieldy items that don't really fit on eBay due to needing collection, I can't imagine being able to list 500 + business lots on there with International postal options and a compliant business returns policy.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • techno79
    • By techno79 5th Jun 17, 11:10 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    techno79
    I don't really see SHpock in the same area as eBay, I do sell on Shpock but only unwanted items I have lying around, it certainly doesn't seem to fit the bill for my business sales at all. The majority of eBay business is now the truly business sellers who pay for shops or listing fees , I suspect they can easily afford to lose private sellers with one off items who don't even pay to list.

For me it is a good way of getting rid of larger unwieldy items that don't really fit on eBay due to needing collection, I can't imagine being able to list 500 + business lots on there with International postal options and a compliant business returns policy.
    Originally posted by soolin
    True, I forgot about the business sellers which probably keep ebay going. I guess I had more pent up hatred for ebay than I realised ;-)

I still have a little solace knowing that my miniscule (and probably many other ebay private sellers) have taken their efforts to shpock :-D
    • lnesbitt
    • By lnesbitt 13th Jun 17, 11:25 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    lnesbitt
    I had someone send me a message saying they were interested in one of my items, but I have no idea how to reply.
    When I click on the message, it takes me to the item page, but her comment isn't there. Does that mean it's been deleted? Or is it somewhere magical that I don't know how to access?
    • techno79
    • By techno79 13th Jun 17, 11:28 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    techno79
    I had someone send me a message saying they were interested in one of my items, but I have no idea how to reply.
    When I click on the message, it takes me to the item page, but her comment isn't there. Does that mean it's been deleted? Or is it somewhere magical that I don't know how to access?
    Originally posted by lnesbitt
    They could have sent you a message in one of two ways, either it's a public message or they can send a private message along with an offer (entering 0 for the amount, is a work around just to send a private message without making an offer). Both ways will show the message up in the details of the item you are selling. Sometimes you have to click on a little label to expand out the details of the messages. Should be straightforward though. Don't know if you can delete messages but it's possible in case they sent a message mistakenly.
    • lnesbitt
    • By lnesbitt 13th Jun 17, 11:54 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    lnesbitt
    They could have sent you a message in one of two ways, either it's a public message or they can send a private message along with an offer (entering 0 for the amount, is a work around just to send a private message without making an offer). Both ways will show the message up in the details of the item you are selling. Sometimes you have to click on a little label to expand out the details of the messages. Should be straightforward though. Don't know if you can delete messages but it's possible in case they sent a message mistakenly.
    Originally posted by techno79
    Thanks Techno79. The message isn't in the details of the item, so I can only assume she's found a way to delete!
    • techno79
    • By techno79 13th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    techno79
    Thanks Techno79. The message isn't in the details of the item, so I can only assume she's found a way to delete!
    Originally posted by lnesbitt
    I just looked in the interface, and you can indeed delete your own questions/messages. So that's probably what has happened.
    • jbond
    • By jbond 21st Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jbond
    I've said it before on here I think, the degree of success you're gonna get is going to be entirely dependent on WHAT you're selling.
    I've got stuff on there that I've been trying to get rid of for a while, and nothing so far!
    • techno79
    • By techno79 22nd Jun 17, 9:53 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    techno79
    I've said it before on here I think, the degree of success you're gonna get is going to be entirely dependent on WHAT you're selling.
    I've got stuff on there that I've been trying to get rid of for a while, and nothing so far!
    Originally posted by jbond
    True. But also where you are as well. I'm in London so there are a huge number of people there who are potential buyers. If you live in some remote village then you're less likely to find a buyer unless you have users who are looking for a very wide distance radius.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

400Posts Today

4,668Users online

Martin's Twitter