Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftymanc
    • By thriftymanc 13th Sep 15, 6:14 PM
    • 734Posts
    • 1,800Thanks
    thriftymanc
    Anyone used the Shpock app?
    • 13th Sep 15, 6:14 PM
    Anyone used the Shpock app? 13th Sep 15 at 6:14 PM
    Just as the title says really... anyone used it to sell anything? Good/bad experiences?
Page 1
    • Oldfatgrumpy
    • By Oldfatgrumpy 13th Sep 15, 10:57 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Oldfatgrumpy
    • 13th Sep 15, 10:57 PM
    • 13th Sep 15, 10:57 PM
    I have it on my phone but absolutely nothing of interest on sale anywhere near me, and the descriptions/offers/enquiries relating to listed items indicate a very poor level of literacy.
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 14th Sep 15, 3:41 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 3,109 Thanks
    Kernow666
    • 14th Sep 15, 3:41 PM
    • 14th Sep 15, 3:41 PM
    no different than gumtree or facebook groups really , downloaded it checked locally seen nowt i like so deleted it
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
    • IftiBashir
    • By IftiBashir 14th Sep 15, 8:56 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    IftiBashir
    • 14th Sep 15, 8:56 PM
    • 14th Sep 15, 8:56 PM
    Is it a free service or do you have to pay for it?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 15th Sep 15, 5:57 PM
    • 14,584 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 15th Sep 15, 5:57 PM
    • 15th Sep 15, 5:57 PM
    How do you send private messages on it.
    • ValleyVagabond
    • By ValleyVagabond 25th Apr 16, 2:07 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ValleyVagabond
    • 25th Apr 16, 2:07 PM
    Shpock - private message
    • 25th Apr 16, 2:07 PM
    I've not used Shpock but was thinking about it. Reading the help pages I found this about sending a private message in Shpock.

"Q: Can I send a private message?
    To communicate with a seller you may either ask questions about the item open for everyone to see or use the “Make an offer” function. If you want to ask something private before making your offer, make a 0 offer stating that this is only to exchange private information and have a private conversation with the seller. You may continue that chat after an offer is accepted to agree on a pickup point and other practicalities."

Hope this helps.
    • LittleOne
    • By LittleOne 25th Apr 16, 2:40 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    LittleOne
    • 25th Apr 16, 2:40 PM
    • 25th Apr 16, 2:40 PM
    I have used Shpock a few times now. I find it really straight forward and easy to use.

A lot of people seem to not use it properly, though. You can comment on photos and make an offer which the seller can accept and then you can arrange collection details etc in the comments section (for everyone to see!) Or, you make an official offer which the buyer can then decline or accept and then you are able to swap details privately.

I got a Christmas tree on there for £5 last year and I sold my old mobile phone and various other little bits and pieces.
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 25th Apr 16, 5:05 PM
    • 13,526 Posts
    • 23,011 Thanks
    pulliptears
    • 25th Apr 16, 5:05 PM
    • 25th Apr 16, 5:05 PM
    I like Shpock. It's not the quickest selling platform in the world but I have had success on there. Seems to be a lot of users in my area as well.

I found it pretty good for getting rid of old phones.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• in_the_Cotswolds
    • By in_the_Cotswolds 26th Apr 16, 6:10 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    in_the_Cotswolds
    • 26th Apr 16, 6:10 PM
    • 26th Apr 16, 6:10 PM
    I've also used it. Although items don't sell very fast. I did however sell my iPhone 5s on there. Face to face transaction buyer collected and paid cash.

• Ting-Tang
    • By Ting-Tang 27th Apr 16, 9:16 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Ting-Tang
    I downloaded it yesterday for the first time, after reading this thread and already I've made a sale! (The money has changed hands and everything).

I'm sure it's beginners luck though and I'll never make another one....
    • mossstitchmama
    • By mossstitchmama 27th Apr 16, 10:04 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    mossstitchmama
    I've had quite a bit of success with it. I'm slowly selling off the mountain of junk in the spare room. I even had a man travel from Sheffield to buy some metal trains (I live in Birmingham).

No complaints so far.
    • NEWUser
    • By NEWUser 2nd May 16, 1:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    NEWUser
    That is a useful tip.
    • NEWUser
    • By NEWUser 2nd May 16, 1:22 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    NEWUser
    I have been using it a lot lately, have over 260 items for sale on it. Mainly low value. I have sold things, but I am getting a very high rate of people offering and confirming a deal then not picking things up, or expecting me to career all over the place meeting them. I have also had people offer and confirm then say they haven't got the money. I am having a lot of my time wasted. I will deliver very locally for items over £10 if it is convenient but I dont really think it is my obligation.

I am fund raising on it for two children to compete in a sport internationally, so would really like to get things sold and the stuff is cheap and good value so it is a bit irritating.

Incidentally I don't think my listings are illiterate, though I cannot guarantee the odd spelling mistake as I list from my iPhone and predictive text kicks in.

Will probably go back to traditional car boot sales when the weather picks up.

K
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 2nd May 16, 6:12 PM
    • 14,584 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    hollydays
    Due to other people being unable to figure out how to leave private messages, I've given up on it.
    • NEWUser
    • By NEWUser 2nd May 16, 10:03 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    NEWUser
    There is a method of sending private messages using the offer functionality described above.
    • soba
    • By soba 3rd May 16, 4:53 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 6,530 Thanks
    soba
    I've used it for a few months and it's very hit and miss. I did sell a couple of low value items at the beginning but lately I've been messed about by people who 'definitely' want things and that's the last I've heard off them. Wasting my time I think - I'll continue with ebay despite the fees.
    Facebook selling seems bad for me too for the same reason.

• hollydays
    • By hollydays 3rd May 16, 6:37 PM
    • 14,584 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    hollydays
    There is a method of sending private messages using the offer functionality described above.
    Originally posted by NEWUser
    Yes but people on there cant work it out, so I gave up, even after explaining
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 3rd May 16, 6:38 PM
    • 14,584 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    hollydays
    There's also an annoying feature where people send you a message saying they " like " your item!
    • clriding
    • By clriding 13th Oct 16, 11:14 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    clriding
    Just started using...
    In the last couple of weeks I thought I'd give it a go. I put a couple of recipe books up for sale and within a couple of days had sold it. Great so far. No problems there, however, I may need to get in touch with the lady as she has not selected to make offer, which I have to say took me ages to notice it. I've figured that once she selects this, I will be able to update my end so that the sale shows as sold.

The only option otherwise is to mark it as sold elsewhere, which I do not want to do. They should add a button for this at the sellers end. I can only assume the lady is unfamiliar with Shpock, as am I. I will give it a couple more days to ensure she has received the books and will help prompt her in the right direction.

It is not an 'easy to use' app/site. It's not very clear in some respect. I do love being able to see what's available right now and as near to your area as you like and to be fair, it is easy to actually place an item to sell.

I think I am going to stick with this as I have lots of stuff to get rid of and I don't always sell anything on Ebay or make very little once paid fees, so I say definately give it a go and hopefully, Shpock will continue to make improvements to the design and navigation.
    Thanks for listening!
    • Bobtv
    • By Bobtv 25th Oct 16, 1:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bobtv
    Schpock
    Lots of junk that belongs in the rubbish.
    Also scams especially iPhones.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

3,628Users online

Martin's Twitter