Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 8th Sep 15, 12:26 AM
    • 63Posts
    • 81Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Windows and Lintels
    • 8th Sep 15, 12:26 AM
    Windows and Lintels 8th Sep 15 at 12:26 AM
    We have employed a company that are currently fitting some new double glazed pvc sash windows (removing the mostly rotten wooden sash windows - please don't shoot me down for this) and they seem to be removing the lintels to be able to fit the new windows in and just filling with a foam - is this right? The old sashes had a frame with the top part going into the wall and this piece of wood was above that, also going into the wall - would this have been the lintel? I have asked them on a couple of occasions and feel like I am starting to sound like a broken record, but something doesn't seem right. I have an old Victorian house (about 150 years old) which has a very shallow arch to the outside of the windows and now just brick on the inside. Is it ok for the bricks to be resting on the foam and ultimately on the window? Would the piece of wood they removed be supporting anything? I have dug them all out of the skip, but they don't seem to be a hard wood, would lintels in these sort of houses be a soft or hard wood? I am in a real worry about this and any advice / help on this would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks
Page 9
    • dermonte
    • By dermonte 21st Jul 16, 12:37 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    dermonte
    Mainframe?
    Evander?
    We are getting our windows done too and would like to know lol.
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 30th Jul 16, 1:03 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Mainframe?
    Evander?
    We are getting our windows done too and would like to know lol.
    Originally posted by dermonte
    Hi dermonte
    Again, very good guesses - alas cold. Wishing you the best of luck with your windows, hope all goes well.
    Xx
    • Jon Structural
    • By Jon Structural 15th Aug 16, 11:49 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jon Structural
    It is most common for victorian brick facades to have Brick arch external window Lintels, these are load bearing, time was not wasted on building brick arch internal lintels, instead a timber lintel is usually fitted. this is generally the thickness of 1 course of brickwork and bears into the brickwork either side of the frame by 4 Inches either side of the opening.
    It is difficult to be more specific without pictures.

with double hung sash windows it is common to have secondary layers of timber between the lintel and the frame , this is used to make the rebate for the sliding sash to fit into , either way on the inner leaf of the wall if you see flat brickwork at the head of window frame without a lintel ( steel bar, or timber) the brickwork above the opening has limited support, there may be an element of support from brick ties( headers spanning between inner and outer leaf, this will not be good enough to support the inner brickwork long term.

Sent a pic to Jon@strucsol.com , I can advise further.
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 24th Aug 16, 11:16 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    It is most common for victorian brick facades to have Brick arch external window Lintels, these are load bearing, time was not wasted on building brick arch internal lintels, instead a timber lintel is usually fitted. this is generally the thickness of 1 course of brickwork and bears into the brickwork either side of the frame by 4 Inches either side of the opening.
    It is difficult to be more specific without pictures.

with double hung sash windows it is common to have secondary layers of timber between the lintel and the frame , this is used to make the rebate for the sliding sash to fit into , either way on the inner leaf of the wall if you see flat brickwork at the head of window frame without a lintel ( steel bar, or timber) the brickwork above the opening has limited support, there may be an element of support from brick ties( headers spanning between inner and outer leaf, this will not be good enough to support the inner brickwork long term.

Sent a pic to Jon@strucsol.com , I can advise further.
    Originally posted by Jon Structural

Hi Jon

Pictures were included, last year, and building control confirmed that they were lintels. They have now all be replaced (see pictures added about 2 months ago) and we are again structurally sound.

Another note to all, my hubby is back in 2 weeks (the last 8 and bit have flown by) and the head banging with the window company will commence again.

xx
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 14th Sep 16, 5:59 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Good news, my hubby is back.
    Bad news, the pain with the window company commences again.
    He spoke to them last Friday (9th) and the final windows (box bay) should be winging there way to the window company to quality check next Monday (19th). No doubt it will be a couple of weeks before a fitter is available to install said windows, that's if everything goes to plan and they are not complete and utter rubbish again!
    Lets all keep every thing crossed that this can be sorted before this Christmas 2016, although should have been completed before Christmas 2015!!
    • Furts
    • By Furts 15th Sep 16, 6:35 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    Furts
    Good news, my hubby is back.
    Bad news, the pain with the window company commences again.
    He spoke to them last Friday (9th) and the final windows (box bay) should be winging there way to the window company to quality check next Monday (19th). No doubt it will be a couple of weeks before a fitter is available to install said windows, that's if everything goes to plan and they are not complete and utter rubbish again!
    Lets all keep every thing crossed that this can be sorted before this Christmas 2016, although should have been completed before Christmas 2015!!
    Originally posted by Clairebare1
    Good to have the update, but still no mention of the window company! Any further clues available since we are all falling at the first hurdle?

Increasingly I worry about your situation - things are not right and something is going on with the window company. I have commented before so will not re-iterate, but as time goes on I ponder about viability and cash flow.
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 20th Sep 16, 5:00 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Good to have the update, but still no mention of the window company! Any further clues available since we are all falling at the first hurdle?
    Originally posted by Furts
    The closing date for the 'Guess the Company' competition has come and gone - any further guesses will be ignored, so please don't ask.

Hey ho, onwards and upwards. Everyone likes a good Google search every now and again, I know I do - especially with a few key words!

East Anglia is a lovely area and our sash windows will look amazing one day!

We bought our house hoping to go up the property ladder, unfortunately after the lintel removal our house was nearly falling down!

xx
    Last edited by Clairebare1; 20-09-2016 at 5:08 PM.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 20th Sep 16, 5:10 PM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    The closing date for the 'Guess the Company' competition has come and gone - any further guesses will be ignored, so please don't ask.

Hey ho, onwards and upwards. Everyone likes a good Google search every now and again, I know I do - especially with a few key words!

We bought our house hoping to go up the property ladder, unfortunately after the lintel removal our house was nearly falling down!

xx
    Originally posted by Clairebare1
    I think I've found the company. If you google

• Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 22nd Sep 16, 7:39 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Morning all
    We spoke to the window company on Monday (us phoning them, not them phoning us!) and as of today haven't heard otherwise to what they have said below. Unfortunately the window has not arrived with them as yet, but will be chased up!
    Although they have arranged for their quality person to come and see us on the 30th to snag the Windows that have been done and the window that they have still to receive should be fitted on the same day if not before.
    I think we have more of a chance of seeing pigs fly than this actually happening, but let's wait and see!
    • schwam66
    • By schwam66 25th Sep 16, 9:18 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    schwam66
    god this is crazy!! how can this still be going on, i started reading and have read the whole thing thinking, man cant wait to see the company named and see the finished product and i cant believe it!! i'm not one to rock the boat but jesus i would be onto trading standards and multiple solicitors a year ago to sort this, if you pay them anything you really will be silly,i'd be looking at getting your deposit back plus intrest never paying anymore..... please keep us updated, still cant believe this!
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 27th Sep 16, 5:25 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Howdy

My hubby has just spoken to the window company and apparently they have 'FOUND' the box bay windows today!?! How the hell can a window company lose windows!?! They didn't have the windows when we spoke to them last Monday, so within a week they have received them, lost them and found them.

He has told the window company to check them thoroughly and if these windows are less than perfect they may as well reject them, if not we will be if they aren't right, then employing another company regarding the box bay - I think just over a year with a hole in our house is enough, to which she said 'she fully understands and that a local company would be able to fit it within a week'.

The quality chap from the company should still be coming this Friday pm, still not convinced he will.

My prediction is the windows will be rejected, if not by them by us, and this bloke wont come.

xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,959Posts Today

7,675Users online

Martin's Twitter