Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 8th Sep 15, 12:26 AM
    • 86Posts
    • 130Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Windows and Lintels - Ventrolla
    • 8th Sep 15, 12:26 AM
    Windows and Lintels - Ventrolla 8th Sep 15 at 12:26 AM
    We have employed a company (Ventrolla) that are currently fitting some new double glazed pvc sash windows (removing the mostly rotten wooden sash windows - please don't shoot me down for this) and they seem to be removing the lintels to be able to fit the new windows in and just filling with a foam - is this right? The old sashes had a frame with the top part going into the wall and this piece of wood was above that, also going into the wall - would this have been the lintel? I have asked them on a couple of occasions and feel like I am starting to sound like a broken record, but something doesn't seem right. I have an old Victorian house (about 150 years old) which has a very shallow arch to the outside of the windows and now just brick on the inside. Is it ok for the bricks to be resting on the foam and ultimately on the window? Would the piece of wood they removed be supporting anything? I have dug them all out of the skip, but they don't seem to be a hard wood, would lintels in these sort of houses be a soft or hard wood? I am in a real worry about this and any advice / help on this would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Last edited by Clairebare1; 12-10-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Now mentioning the company in questions name
Page 11
    • leveller2911
    • By leveller2911 11th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 7,349 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    leveller2911
    I read your post wondering if you were talking about Ventrolla when you mentioned 'overhauled and draught stripped'.

Also, don't forget they like filling voids with foam, apparently foam also makes a good lintel

PS. Perhaps they should have stuck to what they know best , mmmm maybe not, not sure on that one.
    Originally posted by Clairebare1

I've seen a few jobs that have been carried by them and they seem to charge a lot of money for doing a poor job. They seem to rely on 2 pack resin type fillers that can be shapes and supposedly will last for years. This may be true but the joint where their resin joins the original timber always rots because timber expands/contracts at a different rate to the resin, then cracks and rots.

When I've asked the clients who carried out the draught proofing and repairs and they say Ventrolla I can usually tell its them. Its like its their signature. They charge between £300-500 for just changing sash cords and draught stripping which in 95% of cases is a mornings work for 1 man . In general I could do 3 a day easily so thats a good earner for them.

You will probably find they just did sash cords etc on existing windows and then moved into the new window market by buying out a small workshop and changing its name to Ventrolla and hey presto they are established as a Joinery.

I have to say they do have a very professional looking website ,very glossy but maybe they have taken their eye off the ball with regards to quality and employing cowboys who don't have a clue about fitting windows properly or are devoid of common sense..

You pay peanuts and you get monekys .........

In 30yrs of being in business I've never experienced a job like yours Claire..

It does make you wonder how many other clients have now got structurally unsafe houses due to Ventrolla's poor workmanship.Thats the really worrying thing especially if you were originally told by Ventrolla that its quite normal to take out these pieces of timber above the windows..
    Last edited by leveller2911; 11-10-2016 at 5:52 PM.
    If we in parliament cannot gain from ruling,then there is very little point in us being here: (Lord Manchester 1650) :rolleyes: how true!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 13,845 Thanks
    Slinky
    Thanks for this OP, we're buying a house in Suffolk with sash windows. Have added your thread to my 'useful info' list.

Hope you finally get things sorted, it sounds awful.
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 12th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Thanks for this OP, we're buying a house in Suffolk with sash windows. Have added your thread to my 'useful info' list.

Hope you finally get things sorted, it sounds awful.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    You're welcome Slinky, we don't want anyone else to have to put up with what we have put up with.

Maybe with them being named, now we can shame them into getting the work sorted once and for all - we can live in hope!

Good luck with your house move and sash windows (with whatever you decide to do to them).

Claire xx
    • leveller2911
    • By leveller2911 12th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 7,349 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    leveller2911
    Any news from Ventrolla Claire?..
    If we in parliament cannot gain from ruling,then there is very little point in us being here: (Lord Manchester 1650) :rolleyes: how true!
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 13th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Any news from Ventrolla Claire?..
    Originally posted by leveller2911
    Hi leveller2911

Unsurprisingly, no, not a dickey bird from Ventrolla. Although, there is an update of sorts, but not from them.

I had a telephone call yesterday from a lovely lady called Clare (good name) because of some feedback I wanted to leave for Ventrolla on Checkatrade. She wanted to check the validity of my comment, so last night I forwarded them a few items (pictures, structural engineers letters). Today it now looks as though Ventrolla have been removed from Checkatrade.

Ta ta for now C xx
    Last edited by Clairebare1; 14-10-2016 at 7:41 AM.
    • leveller2911
    • By leveller2911 13th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    • 7,349 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    leveller2911
    Thanks Claire and very interesting Re: Chackatrade............

I did a bit of googling for reviews and they do seem to have some particularly poor reviews in August 2016 and I do wonder if their main problem is a lack of skilled labour.

On their website it says "all their fitters are Ventrolla trained". Now does that mean a new employee with no experience of the trade is put with an experienced fitter for a couple of weeks or so and then sent out on their own to carry out work or are they actually trained for a few months?.

Keep us posted and thanks again.............. regards Leveller
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 13th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 5,025 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    prosaver
    I dont think you need a lintle , because there's a arch which supports the bricks.
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • leveller2911
    • By leveller2911 13th Oct 16, 9:45 PM
    • 7,349 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    leveller2911
    I dont think you need a lintle , because there's a arch which supports the bricks.
    Originally posted by prosaver

A Brick arch will support the weight above it on the outside skin but Claires timber lintels were on the inside and holding up the weight above which can be brickwork walls and/or floor joists of the floor above and all the associated weight of furniture,people,beds, stud walls etc etc etc. There can be literally tons of weight being held up by a timber lintel..

IIRC from my college days a 1m length of 2x2 notless pine stood on end can support somewhere in the region of 1.5 tons.

edit: The photo in Steve's post #4 shows a brick arch (which isn't Claires) but the box frame window sits behind the outside skin of brickwork and the inside wall/skin would usually have a timber lintel to support the weight above. Brick arches are very strong and can take a lot of weight and are a really nice feature
    Last edited by leveller2911; 13-10-2016 at 9:49 PM.
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 13th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Do you work for Ventrolla!!
    • leveller2911
    • By leveller2911 13th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 7,349 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    leveller2911
    Do you work for Ventrolla!!
    Originally posted by Clairebare1

As a fitter?..................

No offence Prosaver ,just having a giggle and not at your expense....
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 14th Oct 16, 12:26 AM
    • 5,025 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    prosaver
    As a fitter?..................

No offence Prosaver ,just having a giggle and not at your expense....
    Originally posted by leveller2911
    No probs
    Anyway read all the post and it seems they did take out a lintel .
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 14th Oct 16, 12:32 AM
    • 5,025 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    prosaver
    You might have to take some plaster off ..however if he took the lintle out wouldnt the bricks fall down?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Victorian+lintels&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0a hUKEwi23aqJ99jPAhVDB8AKHfP7BUIQ_AUICCgC&biw=962&bi h=601#imgrc=7A8FYZCWZ9UfLM%3A
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 14th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    No probs
    Anyway read all the post and it seems they did take out a lintel .
    Unfortunately it wasn't just a lintel, it was 16 of them - with the largest being over 2.3 metres long.
    You might have to take some plaster off ..however if he took the lintle out wouldnt the bricks fall down?
    We had to have our house supported by acros to stop it doing just that.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 14th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    EssexExile
    ..however if he took the lintle out wouldn't the bricks fall down?
    They don't fall down immediately, it's a gradual process.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 14th Oct 16, 2:58 PM
    • 5,025 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    prosaver
    Just thought you could buy one of these and search for the lintle above the window, about 6inches ?
    http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-cordless-3-in-1-hand-detector/263988_BQ.prd worth a try?
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 14th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Martin Lewis retweeted my tweet today

http://bit.ly/2dcqxJW
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 14th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    Just thought you could buy one of these and search for the lintle above the window, about 6inches ?
    http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-cordless-3-in-1-hand-detector/263988_BQ.prd worth a try?
    Hi prosaver, thank you for the link to buy one of these. My husband already has one - but there was no point using it when it all happened because I was holding the lintel in my hand!
    We have huge steel lintels in now.
    Last edited by Clairebare1; 15-10-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    • Sash expert
    • By Sash expert 21st Oct 16, 11:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sash expert
    Terrible
    This is terrible, how are you getting on now? I am a sash window renovator covering Suffolk if I can be of service to you all
    • Clairebare1
    • By Clairebare1 28th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Clairebare1
    This is terrible, how are you getting on now? I am a sash window renovator covering Suffolk if I can be of service to you all
    Originally posted by Sash expert
    Thank you for the offer Sash expert, but unfortunately we no longer have wooden sashes to renovate - we are wishing we had gone down that route now.
    One of the new windows broke just over a week ago, so need to get that sorted too now. I hope they all aren't going to be like this!?!
    Ventrolla phoned us about a week ago and said that they are unable to do some of the jobs on our snagging list - although looking at it I would probably say about 70% they cant do. So much for hassle free / no maintenance windows!?!
    • imho
    • By imho 28th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    • 2,363 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    imho
    I think Ventrolla is a Franchise can you find out the main Head Office and tell them your story? Ovibously not the office your dealing with as in my opinion that office should be shut down.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,724Users online

Martin's Twitter