Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    furrypig
    HELP!! Kitchen Help - cooking without a kitchen
    • 11th May 05, 11:09 PM
    HELP!! Kitchen Help - cooking without a kitchen 11th May 05 at 11:09 PM
    As some of you know, after my slug invasion I found out I had a major problem with damp in my kitchen! Now we have to have all the floating floor removed along with all the lower part of the kitchen cupboards etc and dehumidifiers put in to dry it all out.This is happening tomorrow which means no kitchen for 3-4 weeks!

So my first cry for help is what can I cook without my kitchen?? I have just got a slow cooker (delivered yesterday) but do I have to brown all the meat to go in it first?? I have a microwave, a bradmaker and still have a little George Foreman grill in its box that I think might be useful at this time!! Obviously there are loads of 'ready meals' I can use but would rather not if poss!! This has all happened really fast so I have not had time to make and freeze etc etc. Any ideas???? Thanks in advance.

Edit by Board Guides: We have moved your second question to a new thread in "In my Home" which can be found HERE

Looking forward to all your replies and help!

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Galtizz; 12-05-2005 at 1:57 PM.
Page 5
    • sweaty betty
    • By sweaty betty 19th May 13, 3:45 PM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 4,462 Thanks
    sweaty betty
    Thanks - some good suggestions so far! I hadn't thought about washing up, I'm not looking forward to that bit...
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 19th May 13, 3:48 PM
    • 7,477 Posts
    • 26,188 Thanks
    Nicki
    We did this last year and were without a cooker for a similar length of time.

We used the slow cooker a lot. If you don't have one perhaps ask on free cycle for one as you have a bit of time before your project starts as they are the kind of thing people have at the back of a cupboard. I didn't precook any meat before putting it in the slow cooker and everything was fine.
  • Little Vics
    cous cous is easy to do - shove it in a bowl of boiling water and wait for it to do it's thing.
    • JournalGirl
    • By JournalGirl 19th May 13, 4:06 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    JournalGirl
    We've just been through this too, we started with a Camping Gaz stove, but the gas bottles were costing a fortune, and always ran out that the wrong time. We ended up buying a table top Andrew James single ring induction hob - it was brilliant!
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 19th May 13, 4:08 PM
    • 16,795 Posts
    • 25,572 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    You can cook normal meals in a microwave oven. We regularly cook fish pie, shepherd's pie etc and they come out well.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • LV Sue
    • By LV Sue 19th May 13, 4:33 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    LV Sue
    I've recently been through this and was without my kitchen for 6 weeks, although the builders did reconnect my washing machine on a few occasions for me.

My saviours were my George Foreman grill, my slow cooker and my sandwich toaster. We decanted to the conservatory and my dining table was my kitchen. I washed up in a bowl in the downstairs shower room.

I cooked chicken breasts, chops, sausages, bacon & veggie kebabs on my George (which I love to bits - don't know how I ever managed before I got it!), jacket spuds and re-heated my pre-cooked & frozen meals in the microwave, did casseroles in the slow cooker and toasted sandwiches with all manner of experimental fillings in my sandwich toaster. I am proud to say that we only had one takeaway in the whole 6 weeks, although I have to say we did have HM and/or tinned soup & bought crusty bread at least once, if not twice, a week.

I was sooooooooooo glad when I said goodbye to the builders though .
    My (adult) son put post-it notes on all the cupboard doors & drawer fronts so we knew where to find everything in the new cupboards!

Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,371Posts Today

8,488Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin