Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 26th Aug 15, 5:48 PM
    • 6,073Posts
    • 19,381Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Cancer Support Thread
    • 26th Aug 15, 5:48 PM
    Cancer Support Thread 26th Aug 15 at 5:48 PM
    I thought that I would start this thread in this part of the forum, rather than the health and beauty forum, because my aim is for it to be a place for emotional support.

I've noticed that a lot of forum members are having to deal with cancer, either their own, or a loved ones, so I'd like this to be a place where they can come to discuss any issues and get support.

As some of you know, I have terminal cancer and have found at times that I'd like to talk to someone, but don't like talking on the phone and would rather talk to people I *know*. I feel comfortable here.

Anyway, if you've been affected by cancer and need somewhere to vent, talk, cry etc, you're very welcome to use this thread.
    I hope it helps people.

ETA some links that might be helpful.

Maggie's Centres
    They give help and support to cancer patients, their families and friends.

Tenovus
    Tenovus is a Welsh based cancer charity. They offer support and also have mobile screening units.

Macmillan
    Macmillan do so much to help cancer patients. Benefits help, grants, counseling etc. The booklets they produce are excellent, there's even a recipe book which is free and has some lovely recipes in for those going through treatment which can affect appetite.

Also, the different cancer types have their own charities. If you know of one, let me know and I'll post it on this post so the links are at the top of the thread.

Jo's Trust
    Cervical cancer.
    Last edited by Gigervamp; 27-08-2015 at 3:01 PM.
Page 7
    • JadedAngel88
    • By JadedAngel88 11th Jul 16, 6:32 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    JadedAngel88
    Gigervamp, thank you and I wish you a speedy recovery.

I think that my daughter is trying to push her recovery, trying to do too much too soon, but we all know what teenagers are like .

She is due to go back to college to finish her course in September and I don't think she is going to be able to cope, particularly as she really suffers with extreme tiredness.

My gut instinct does say that this is not a relapse or cancer of any other kind (but then it was wrong the first time) and other than the pain and tiredness she does seem to be well in herself.

Hopefully we'll know more Wednesday.
    Treat lifes stresses like a dog does.... if you can't eat it or f**k it, just pi** on it and walk away.
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 21st Jul 16, 9:32 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    How did things go JadedAngel88?

And how are you Gingervamp? You've not been on here for a bit, have you recovered and gone home yet?
    Selling Challenge ~ 0/£1000
    Savings challenge ~ 1000/5000
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 21st Jul 16, 9:46 PM
    • 6,073 Posts
    • 19,381 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    I'm home and doing ok atm. Chemo's starting in a couple of weeks for 6 months.
    • JadedAngel88
    • By JadedAngel88 22nd Jul 16, 5:36 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    JadedAngel88
    How did things go JadedAngel88?

And how are you Gingervamp? You've not been on here for a bit, have you recovered and gone home yet?
    Originally posted by vintagebrighton
    Thanks for asking, Lots of tests, they (he) is confident that she isn't relapsing, bloods fine and chest x-ray is clear. My daughter is just worried about the shortness of breath, so she'd had an echo-cardiograph and she has to have a lung function test.

She was on ABVD chemo and apparently the side effects can be damage to the heart and lungs, hopefully it will just be something that will improve with time.
    Treat lifes stresses like a dog does.... if you can't eat it or f**k it, just pi** on it and walk away.
    • Amber Sunshine
    • By Amber Sunshine 24th Jul 16, 11:40 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 3,762 Thanks
    Amber Sunshine
    Just stumbled across this thread. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last month and had surgery. I'm starting chemo in a couple of weeks and am very daunted by the prospect. The whole situation still seems unreal, but I'm trying to be positive (I've had a lot of support from family and friends). The chemo is because they found cancerous cells in one of the lymph nodes (1 out of 40 is apparently good).
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 25th Jul 16, 1:19 AM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 10,209 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    Last September I was diagnosed with Stage 4 lymphoma. I was initially quite poorly but had 7 cycles of chemo. The first 3 were fairly tough but as I got stronger I was able to cope with them better and better. Then in April of this year I had a stem cell transplant and was in hospital 21 days - was told it would be a month but was doing well so they sent me home.

Nearly 4 months afterwards I'm doing well. Still not fit enough, but getting there. Back to work virtually full time now and best of all have finally got my dogs back from them being in foster care for 7 months.

I kept myself going by planning all the nice things that would happen after the end of the treatment. Staying positive is vital I believe and I have never thought that I wouldn't get better.

I've avoided this thread until now as it was a bit too close to home, but on request of my consultant I spoke to another of her patients who is a couple of months behind me in the treatment. I think it helped him - he said it did anyway! So if anyone needs any help or advice and is going through what I went through, just ask - I'm happy to help.

Edit - strangely I heard from the other patient today. He's had his stem cell harvesting now and seems to be doing well. I have to say that I'm quite chuffed that he was comfy enough to contact me and let me know how things are going.

Nice that sometimes good things come out of bad!
    Last edited by Caroline_a; 25-07-2016 at 8:51 PM. Reason: Update
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 29th Jul 16, 11:53 AM
    • 6,073 Posts
    • 19,381 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Sorry to hear your news Amber. It's only natural to be anxious about chemo. I'm starting my 3rd cycle today and am very nervous.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Caroline, glad your stem cell transplant went well and I wish you good health and increasing strength.
    • jozxyqk
    • By jozxyqk 23rd Aug 16, 2:17 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    jozxyqk
    To update, my mum went through radiotherapy last autumn/winter, it went ok with tiredness and soreness only creeping in towards the end. She had a follow-up mammogram last week and has been given the all-clear subject to annual checks of course.

She's started volunteering at the local hospital caf! to give a little back.

So cancer can be treated, but I dread to think what would have happened if her original appointment was just a few weeks later.

My best wishes to you all.
    "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
    • Amber Sunshine
    • By Amber Sunshine 14th Sep 16, 5:46 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 3,762 Thanks
    Amber Sunshine
    I had my first chemo a couple of weeks ago. So far, not too bad - I've felt a little 'off colour' at times, but nothing that bad. In fact, I'm pottering around pretty much as normal, and even doing some work (I work at home writing). Still waiting for my hair to drop out - I'm been shedding the last couple of days but it hasn't started falling out in clumps yet.
    • Mrs Optimist
    • By Mrs Optimist 14th Sep 16, 9:28 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 1,207 Thanks
    Mrs Optimist
    Update
    My FIL has stopped the chemo for the lung cancer, had another round of radiotherapy for the throat cancer and is going to have to have some more as it has returned - as they said it would.

He knows it's a waiting game but had really had enough of the chemo and chose quality over quantity of his remaining life.

We are taking each day as it comes. ....
    Last edited by Mrs Optimist; 14-09-2016 at 9:30 PM.
    • windchime
    • By windchime 15th Sep 16, 12:11 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    windchime
    God bless you all and deepest sympathy. I have lost my husband and my 2nd partner to the nasty evil disease. Heart breaking for those who are left behind.
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 15th Sep 16, 12:59 AM
    • 3,070 Posts
    • 11,881 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Update
    My FIL has stopped the chemo for the lung cancer, had another round of radiotherapy for the throat cancer and is going to have to have some more as it has returned - as they said it would.

He knows it's a waiting game but had really had enough of the chemo and chose quality over quantity of his remaining life.

We are taking each day as it comes. ....
    Originally posted by Mrs Optimist
    For some positive inspiration, g00gle "Driving Miss Norma" - the experiences of a 90 year old lady who decided to decline cancer treatment in favour of going with her son and his wife on a motor-home trip, exploring the United States. They've had some amazing adventures - making what will be Miss Norma's last year the best it could possibly be.
    You'll find plenty of ideas for treats and excursions in Miss Norma's story, which could be adapted to give your FIL as many good days as he can manage, and great memories for your whole family.
    • Amber Sunshine
    • By Amber Sunshine 18th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 3,762 Thanks
    Amber Sunshine
    2nd chemo on Tuesday. My hair is now going, and it's going fast. I chopped it short today as it was clumping and looked awful. Somehow I feel that the 'falling out' stage will be worse than the 'no hair' stage. It's horrible. I really feel like a 'cancer patient' now.
    • JadedAngel88
    • By JadedAngel88 19th Sep 16, 7:24 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    JadedAngel88
    2nd chemo on Tuesday. My hair is now going, and it's going fast. I chopped it short today as it was clumping and looked awful. Somehow I feel that the 'falling out' stage will be worse than the 'no hair' stage. It's horrible. I really feel like a 'cancer patient' now.
    Originally posted by Amber Sunshine
    My daughter just shaved her head as soon as the hair started to fall out, she said it cut the worry of whether it would fall out or not. I guess it depends on what treatment your on, but hers didn't fall out as much after she had her head shaved.

I guess it's tough for us women to lose our hair, have you asked about wigs and there are some nice hats out there now we are coming into the colder weather.

Good luck and I hope you find a way through this. Will be thinking of you and follow your progress on here.
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 19th Sep 16, 8:51 AM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 10,209 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    Your Macmillan nurse will help you with getting a wig - usually you get a voucher towards one which, depending on what you want will either pay all or most of the cost. I'm now 5 months on from my stem cell transplant when the little bit of hair that had grown since the 5 weeks of my last chemo all fell out. My hair is now about 2cm long, slightly wavy and a very dull brown colour. I feel a visit to the hairdressers is due!

To anyone who is or will be undergoing a stem cell transplant - it does take about 3 months before your hair starts to grow again, which can seem ages!
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 11th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 7,237 Thanks
    elisebutt65
    I had my hair cut short before I started chemo and then shaved it once it started falling out as it was so depressing finding hair everywhere; in the shower' in my food, all over the bed etc. I had a lovely wig, but only wore it on special occasions as it was so hot! I treated myself to some gorgeous missoni scarves from tkmaxx, big sunnies and rocked the look with bright red lippie.

I also went to a Look Good Feel Better workshop. Your cancer nurses should be able to refer you. Had lots of fun, got great advice and a huge bag of goodies to take away.

As an aside, does anyone know when I should stop feeling tired? It's been 3.5 years since I finished treatment, still on exemestane for the foreseeable future. I can only work 3 days a week, but managing my masters as well for one day a week. I just get exhausted and end up napping all weekend.
    I was full time for a bit after I went back to work, but I kept getting ill. I just want the old me back and not just existing in a fog of fatigue.
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    Student MoneySaving Club member 026! Teacher now and still Moneysaving

• JIL
    • By JIL 12th Oct 16, 12:56 AM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 15,823 Thanks
    JIL
    I had radiotherapy and chemotherapy over six years ago and I still get tired very easily. I find if I do a long day at work say ten hours then I am really tired for the next couple of days. I am really lucky in that I can work flexible hours.
    I have learned over time to pace myself, if I know I will have a busy day I build in some time to rest.
    Also it's not how much sleep you get but the quality. I am so much better if I can fit in some excersise during the day, like a 40 minute dog walk.
    Good luck with your masters.
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 12th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    • 6,814 Posts
    • 258,778 Thanks
    DUKE
    After 3rd chemo mine started to come out so I got the scissors & chopped it all off, it felt so liberating as I'd had too many bad hair days in my time to even care. Mr Duke shaved it for me, & it looked & felt good, no more washing, conditioning, curling, straightening, drying, cutting, colouring. I was quite disappointed when mine grew back actually.

I had a free wig, it was a really good one too. However, I choose to go bare as I felt that people needed to know, & seeing me would perhaps get them to check themselves.
    Last edited by DUKE; 12-10-2016 at 1:59 PM.
    Thanks everyone!
    • Amber Sunshine
    • By Amber Sunshine 12th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 3,762 Thanks
    Amber Sunshine
    I'm looking into doing one of those beauty workshops, there's a Spanish version. So far I'm sticking to scarves as I find them very comfortable, and it's fun playing around with different patterns and colours.

The good news is that after first chemo, the tumour markers dropped by half, and again after the second one. It's looking good!
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 12th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 10,209 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    So I'm now 6 months down the line after my stem cell transplant. Not having any treatment now, apart from a 2 monthly injection of Rituximab which apparently keeps the dreaded disease at bay - so they say!

However.... my hair is now about an inch long. Unfortunately it's the colour of a dead mouse, which is the same colour as a live mouse only dustier. So on Saturday I'm off to the hairdressers for a trim and a colour! Wish me luck, because I'm tired of wearing wigs!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,244Posts Today

6,243Users online

Martin's Twitter